• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

63xvw.jpg

So, the labels are pretty weird. It seems like there are a lot more HUD indicators in this game than previous installations.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So Spike just shows their coverage until 4, then again for Sony at 8. I don't see a Spartan Ops mention, maybe they don't have the guide right on my TV.

EDIT: Unless the 9-10 CST slot is it. Must be. Spike not showing Sony?

So, the labels are pretty weird. It seems like there are a lot more HUD indicators in this game than previous installations.
Vehicles seem to have specific icons in the radar now too.

best part of that clip? the fucking grenade actually hurting the hog :)
Shame that they're sticking with destructible vehicles, but I'm glad that a Warthog isn't going to ignore a grenade going off underneath it anymore.

Woorloog

Banned
From Cryptum. Durances stored the last memories and thought processes of fallen warriors. Since we're fighting 'Prometheans', those 'Knights' might be durances of dead prometheans.

Ah. *Shrug*
Wait.
You're saying they're... Undead?
Well that explains the livery and the skull.
EDIT i have read Cryptum, i just don't remember any details from it.

Risen

You see the same playable space, you just tradeoff between what. It always feels like I have to aim higher than I feel is natural in Halo.

I wouldn't discount your feelings... to each his own... saying you like it centered is valid... for the couple that make it sound like it is obviously much worse not centered, and carry on like it's a terrible design decision is just foolhardy; and to then try to compare real world field of vision to what is simulated in a fixed place is beyond silly.

I'd lay pretty good money, most people don't care one way or another, but of those that do, they likely prefer it slightly lowered and STILL run around looking slightly down to better see actionable situations on maps. Particularly where there are long lines of sight, where the reticle would be an obstruction.

If it were centered and they did that, they would lose a chunk of vision.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, the guy shooting at me is the Chaingun guy, k. BUT WAIT, how do I tell which one is the driver??!?? Ugh, video games are hard. :-(

343 is driving me nuts with this HUD shit.

BOO Halo!

Seriously, the footage show was amazing in every single way. Graphics, sound, atmosphere... Everything

But booooooooo
From what I could view on my phone (thanks for uploading that, Plywood), it looks really great actually. I just wanted to jump on the boo-ndwagon.

Even though this MP footage is cool, we have yet to see any specializations, armor abilities, or loadouts. So I will keep my happiness in check for the moment.

Couple small things I noticed in the Campaign gameplay:

- There's a damage indicator on the reticule. It's pretty subtle.

- Grenade indicator (This was definitely more noticeable, but I thought it was pretty cool)

zap

The sounds were almost too good... if that makes sense haha.

It was quite jarringly loud compared to previous games. The grenade bouncing sounded really loud!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'd guess the linear structure and scripted scenes were all because it was a carefully timed demo.
all real elements from the level but compressed into a smaller area of the map for the demo. Will have more "air" in the released version.

n9FcH.jpg

That's an armor ability pack on the back of a Promethean...right?

EDIT:

1pmyB.jpg

As it teleports away, this shows up. Assuming that this is just an early build thing. They probably used the "sprint" AA as a placeholder for something else, and kept the entire art asset pack together for some reason.

Even though this MP footage is cool, we have yet to see any specializations, armor abilities, or loadouts. So I will keep my happiness in check for the moment.

What that tells me is that the core game is going to be awesome regardless. It's a good thing.

With Reach, bloom kind of ruined the core game.

all real elements from the level but compressed into a smaller area of the map for the demo. Will have more "air" in the released version.

Do the QTEs "cinematic" stuff play out the exact same way every time? Because that always does wonders for replay value, especially in Halo campaigns where the sandbox and level design is suppose to make it a varied experience.

GhaleonEB

Makes sense, a lot of stage demos do this.

Heck, even Skyrim's long dungeon demo compressed the place to a highlight tour.

Looking spectacular. More coherent thoughts later, gotta tune back into work.

Havok

n9FcH.jpg

That's an armor ability pack on the back of a Promethean...right?

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/1pmyB.jpg[IMG]

As it teleports away, this shows up. Assuming that this is just an early build thing. They probably used the "sprint" AA as a placeholder for something else, and kept the entire art asset pack together for some reason.[/QUOTE]
They have the hard light shield, so it makes some sense, at least.

Perfect :D

Frankie I saw you on TV and I freaked out, and then there were technical difficulties and you disappeared.
Too beautiful for television?

I wouldn't discount your feelings... to each his own... saying you like it centered is valid... for the couple that make it sound like it is obviously much worse not centered, and carry on like it's a terrible design decision is just foolhardy; and to then try to compare real world field of vision to what is simulated in a fixed place is beyond silly.

I'd lay pretty good money, most people don't care one way or another, but of those that do, they likely prefer it slightly lowered and STILL run around looking slightly down to better see actionable situations on maps. Particularly where there are long lines of sight, where the reticle would be an obstruction.

If it were centered and they did that, they would lose a chunk of vision.
I think you're being too hard on the guy for bringing up real life; it was in response to saying lowered crosshairs "make more sense" and in the video game sense that's about how intuitive it is, and when you're going against what every other game does in that regard it ends up being counter-intuitive to me. So let's just drop that angle.

Don't really want to touch the generalizing there either, but I don't speak for anyone but myself when I agree with BigShow's crosshair qualms. I think it's particularly worsened because of weapon sizes and placement on the screen, where visibility to the right of the crosshair is hindered because of it. That's just me though, whenever I get back into Halo I have to actively readjust myself to its specific crosshair quirk.

Top Bottom