• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
You guys are worried about the scope? Dun worry, you don't even have to bother with fancy scopes til you're Major Grade 1. Hell, you don't even get to use the DMR until a little before that.

am i doin it rite

You'd be amazed at how much an actual skill-gap adds to a shooter.
Haha, I agree. If nothing else, at least Halo 4's core multiplayer gameplay looks very good. Movement looks nice, as well as jump height and strafing.

Still, I am firmly in the skeptical camp. For multiplayer at least.

In these (4v4) situations you wouldn't be using the scope anyway.
That is completely untrue.

Taking shots to the body and still being scoped is something I could deal with, but headshots should absoulutely, positively take you out of scope. Especially considering the animations we've seen of the head getting rocked back when taking bullets to the face.

BigShow36

Haha, I agree. If nothing else, at least Halo 4's core multiplayer gameplay looks very good. Movement looks nice, as well as jump height and strafing.

That remains to be seen.

If Halo 4 has a great strafe and low aim assist, I'll be a happy gamer. However, I don't hold much hope for that seeing as how we haven't had that in a Halo game for over 10 years.

789shadow

Banned
That is completely untrue.

Taking shots to the body and still being scoped is something I could deal with, but headshots should absoulutely, positively take you out of scope. Especially considering the animations we've seen of the head getting rocked back when taking bullets to the face.
Why.
What design problem does unscoping when shot solve? It doesn't solve one because there isn't one, it creates the problem of situations where effectively fighting back is impossible.

Not really, it provides a rhythm to battles and allows you to have an opportunity to turn a mid/long-range battle towards your favor.
Specifically, it makes it impossible to fight back if getting shot from mid/long range by a DMR.

Overdoziz

Banned
It was in the larger maps where you could be put into situations where the only option other than take cover or die was to shoot back with the DMR, and the DMR itself made that impossible.
That's what I'm saying.
I kinda like the battle with scoping in and out though. Makes it more important to hit shots fast.

Fracas

#fuckonami
That remains to be seen.

If Halo 4 has a great strafe and low aim assist, I'll be a happy gamer. However, I don't hold much hope for that seeing as how we haven't had that in a Halo game for over 10 years.

People have said that aim assist is lowered, as well as strafing being great, have they not? The MLG guys especially seem to have that opinion.

Blinding

Why.
What design problem does unscoping when shot solve? It doesn't solve one because there isn't one, it creates the problem of situations where effectively fighting back is impossible.

Specifically, it makes it impossible to fight back if getting shot from mid/long range by a DMR.

It may be in your experience that it makes fighting back impossible, but that hasn't been the case for me and seemingly a few others.

Why.
Mostly to deal with snipers since they have absolute range advantage. In terms of a DMR/BR-off, there's a back and forth by trying to "no scope" and unscope the other's to give yourself an advantage at longer ranges.

789shadow

Banned
It may be in your experience that it makes fighting back impossible, but that hasn't been the case for me and seemingly a few others.
Well that's great for you, but in practice removing descoping from the DMR changes nothing about the gameplay other than actually making long range DMR fights based on skill rather than who shoots who first and prevents whoever they're shooting from being able to shoot back.

Mostly to deal with snipers since they have absolute range advantage. In terms of a DMR/BR-off, there's a back and forth by trying to "no scope" and unscope the other's to give yourself an advantage at longer ranges.
So unnecessary annoying gunplay. How about we just determine those by, you know, outshooting and outaiming.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Why.

Just imagine a guy perched up on a ledge with his BR/DMR. He's picking off your team one by one, and there's nothing you can do about it. You have no way to upset his aim.

Now imagine scenarios like this, but one with the guy having an overshield, or perma radar (even when scoped, making flanking useless).

BF3 had a suppression mechanic that I quite enjoy. Taken out of scope when shot is the closest thing to it, and I really want that in Halo. I'm disappointed if it's not.

J10

Banned
That moment in the b-roll video where the P-Knight teleports and you see the Sprint symbol on his back (like what happens in Reach when you see a player spawn) makes me think Prometheans will be playable.

BigShow36

People have said that aim assist is lowered, as well as strafing being great, have they not? The MLG guys especially seem to have that opinion.

Not directly, plus at this point its all colored by the situation. They played a few games of a brand new title that is super hyped up. Their opinions, while certainly valid, are not fact and are very likely being stated through rose-colored glasses.

That moment in the b-roll video where the P-Knight teleports and you see the Sprint symbol on his back (like what happens in Reach when you see a player spawn) makes me think Prometheans will be playable.

Half of the campaign you play as a P-Knight.

daedalius

Well the lead War Games designer and David Ellis will be at the MLG event tomorrow.

Maybe if they see something is really imbalanced, like not being descoped, they will change it.

I think only being descoped when you get a headshot would be a good medium, it does rock your head back pretty significantly after all.

Risen

Well that's great for you, but in practice removing descoping from the DMR changes nothing about the gameplay other than actually making long range DMR fights based on skill rather than who shoots who first and prevents whoever they're shooting from being able to shoot back.

So unnecessary annoying gunplay. How about we just determine those by, you know, outshooting and outaiming.

How is it possible you cannot see you are arguing against yourself... that is exactly what being unscoped when hit accomplishes. It creates a layer of skill... those that can handle it... and those that can't... in the process of outshooting, and outaiming.

Schmitty

What is up the weapons sounding all treble and no bass? Everything looks good, but I'm not sure about the sound of the weapons.

Also, Carbine is back yay (I just got back from externship so I'm catching up!)

Then outshoot and outaim him with lesser aim-assist because you can't scope. The other scenario as mentioned is having the dude hiding somewhere with a pixel sticking out and having poor means of retaliation.

It's just a bug. It happens in Halo: Reach, too. At least in my version I do not play an Elite.

Fracas

#fuckonami
How about you kill him.

Simple.

If I was the guy sniping, I'd just take cover, crouch walk into a corner, then wait til you came near me, then pull out my handy dandy Promethean Vision. I see you coming from around the corner, then I whip out the 'ole shotgun that I spawned with. Kill you, then head back to my perch.

Maybe have a team mate throw down a turret just for good measure.

Evolution! lol

CyReN

Well the lead War Games designer and David Ellis will be at the MLG event tomorrow.

Maybe if they see something is really imbalanced, like not being descoped, they will change it.

I think only being descoped when you get a headshot would be a good medium, it does rock your head back pretty significantly after all.

If it's anything Kevin Franklin really wants to hear what Nexy disliked about the game and wanted changed from what he played at E3. They will probably do a overall impressions video after MLG Anaheim on what they would liked changed. Seems they are listening which is good. (not that I was doubting it)

What is up the weapons sounding all treble and no bass? Everything looks good, but I'm not sure about the sound of the weapons.

Also, Carbine is back yay (I just got back from externship so I'm catching up!)

I think that's just the videos. All the impressions from people are very positive about the sound.

Blinding

On BTB maps, perhaps, but that's more of an issue with the maps themselves rather then getting knocked out of scope. I don't see how removing descoping is going to solve the problem you claim (that being whoever shoots whoever first wins,) with my BTB experiences most long range battles are dictated by who sees who first, so removing the ability to descope someone would in turn keep whoever gets spotted and shot first at a disadvantage without providing them a proper opportunity to rectify that, if that makes sense.

789shadow

Banned
How is it possible you cannot see you are arguing against yourself... that is exactly what being unscoped when hit accomplishes. It creates a layer of skill... those that can handle it... and those that can't... in the process of outshooting, and outaiming.
First, it doesn't matter if it makes it involve more skill. Who cares. It may cause more skill, it's still annoying and unnecessary. Also, why do we need more skill than "i can still outshoot you at this range even if you hit me first."

On BTB maps, perhaps, but that's more of an issue with the maps themselves rather then getting knocked out of scope. I don't see how removing descoping is going to solve the problem you claim (that being whoever shoots whoever first wins,) with my BTB experiences most long range battles are dictated by who sees who first, so removing the ability to descope someone would in turn keep whoever gets spotted and shot first at a disadvantage without providing them a proper opportunity to rectify that, if that makes sense.
Because it's impossible to win a gunfight if you get shot first.
Oh wait, you can, but not at long range because mechanics make it impossible.

daedalius

If it's anything Kevin Franklin really wants to hear what Nexy disliked about the game and wanted changed from what he played at E3. They will probably do a overall impressions video after MLG Anaheim on what they would liked changed. Seems they are listening which is good. (not that I was doubting it)

Good to hear.

I think tomorrow's videos will be quite interesting indeed.

Blinding

I've won plenty gunfights when I get shot first at every range, just because you haven't doesn't make it an issue.

Just played and..base speed is definitely faster. You CAN get knocked out of scope, but only if you take high damage. Thruster pack is like Gears rolling. Any direction that you tap or hold while hitting LB.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just played and..base speed is definitely faster. You CAN get knocked out of scope, but only if you take high damage. Thruster pack is like Gears rolling. Any direction that you tap or hold while hitting LB.

So if your shields get popped or something?

Still hate it.

Thanks for the impressions though

That's really interesting. I'm assuming these damage models can change based on the weapon you're wielding.

Risen

First, it doesn't matter if it makes it involve more skill. Who cares. It may cause more skill, it's still annoying and unnecessary. Also, why do we need more skill than "i can still outshoot you at this range even if you hit me first."

Do you even remember what you have said?

How about we just determine those by, you know, outshooting and outaiming

Which is what gets done when you can't handle being knocked out. It's not impossible - mechanics make it so some can and some can't. Clearly you can't and don't like it... but just because you can't doesn't mean the game should be dumbed down to your level.

Do it your way, and first shot wins much more often, which is exactly what you are saying happens with being knocked out.

smh

Game looks a lot faster than Reach.

Not sure why one preview saying it is slow counterbalances many other comments to the contrary.

So excited for the game, but the MP has so many small worries: PV possibly being overpowered, perks and specs combining to be OP, drops and kill bonuses making the best even stronger.

Ryaaan14

Banned
The videos confuse me because players are obviously faster, yet it looks more paced than Reach gameplay. I like this, but I can't figure out why. It definitely looks more like Halo 3 gameplay as far as jumping/running/strafing/aiming. Yet sprint and all the armor effects are there. My mind is full of fuck.

Edit: Wow, similar comment ^

Kuroyume

Banned
You should at the very least be able to descope a sniper. I don't care how much more difficult it is to snipe in this game.

789shadow

Banned
Do you even remember what you have said?

How about we just determine those by, you know, outshooting and outaiming

Which is what gets done when you can't handle being knocked out. It's not impossible - mechanics make it so some can and some can't. Clearly you can't and don't like it... but just because you can't doesn't mean the game should be dumbed down to your level.

Do it your way, and first shot wins much more often, which is exactly what you are saying happens with being knocked out.

smh
smfh, dealing with knock out is just dealing with an unnecessary and annoying feature that doesn't need to fucking exist. What, why do fucking long range gunfights need an extraneous bullshit mechanic when it could be just like every other fucking gunfight, the guy who outshoots and outaims wins. And no, knocking out has nothing to do with that, because even if you are able to outshoot and outaim him you can't because he's halfway across the map, and it's impossible to find him, zoom in, find him again and shoot him without being unscoped because of the DMR's perfect accuracy and fire rate.

So you're saying that not getting knocked out of scope will rectify this in a long range situation? Here's what happens: dude shoots you from long range (he gets the first shot) and then just proceeds to shoot you 4 more times before you can turn, zoom in, and fire back 5 times. At least with the ability to be hit out of scope you can strafe a shot or two and hit him out of scope, possibly making him retreat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom