• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

789shadow

Banned
So you're saying that not getting knocked out of scope will rectify this in a long range situation? Here's what happens: dude shoots you from long range (he gets the first shot) and then just proceeds to shoot you 4 more times before you can turn, zoom in, and fire back 5 times. At least with the ability to be hit out of scope you can strafe a shot or two and hit him out of scope, possibly making him retreat.
No, because if you aren't zoomed in with the DMR at that range you can't hit things because the magnetism sucks balls.

Just played and..base speed is definitely faster. You CAN get knocked out of scope, but only if you take high damage. Thruster pack is like Gears rolling. Any direction that you tap or hold while hitting LB.
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll be able to deal with that, and the thruster sounds like my new go-to AA. :)

Blinding

You would win more if it wasn't there and you were actually able to outshoot them.

How do you know that? In my experiences with BTB, most of the long distance 1v1 battles I've gotten into have been started by either him or me spotting one another while we're not aware and getting the first shot, removing descoping only keeps that disadvantage around as opposed to descoping allowing whoever gets shot first a chance to claw back in a bit.

smfh, dealing with knock out is just dealing with an unnecessary and annoying feature that doesn't need to fucking exist. What, why do fucking long range gunfights need an extraneous bullshit mechanic when it could be just like every other fucking gunfight, the guy who outshoots and outaims wins. And no, knocking out has nothing to do with that, because even if you are able to outshoot and outaim him you can't because he's halfway across the map, and it's impossible to find him, zoom in, find him again and shoot him without being unscoped because of the DMR's perfect accuracy and fire rate.
Am I sensing hostility here? How is it not outshooting and outaiming when you're trying to gain the advantage back by hitting a noscoped shot to get back into scoping? This way, a battle can have a back and forth regardless of who gets the jump. If we just keep scopes, the initiator of the battle is far more likely to win. That's not outshooting and outaiming, that's who shot first.

daedalius

Just played and..base speed is definitely faster. You CAN get knocked out of scope, but only if you take high damage. Thruster pack is like Gears rolling. Any direction that you tap or hold while hitting LB.

Well that is an interesting way for them to do it. I wonder how much damage it takes roughly to knock you out. 25% of your shield? Wait that would be 1 BR burst...

50%?

Thruster sounds great, will use.

789shadow

Banned
How do you know that? In my experiences with BTB, most of the long distance 1v1 battles I've gotten into have been started by either him or me spotting one another while we're not aware and getting the first shot, removing descoping only keeps that disadvantage around as opposed to descoping allowing whoever gets shot first a chance to claw back in a bit.
There will always be a disadvantage in those situations. the problem is that descoping doesn't work like you say. It does not give the person being shot a chance to descope their shooter, because, like I've said a billion times, this is the DMR. You can't hit things at that range without zooming in, and you can't zoom in because he's hitting you.

Descoping is the REASON for the disadvantage being so large.

Blinding

There will always be a disadvantage in those situations. the problem is that descoping doesn't work like you say. It does not give the person being shot a chance to descope their shooter, because, like I've said a billion times, this is the DMR. You can't hit things at that range without zooming in, and you can't zoom in because he's hitting you.

Except I (and many, many others) have, multiple times. Can you please stop trying to pass your own personal experiences off as factual?

789shadow

Banned
Am I sensing hostility here? How is it not outshooting and outaiming when you're trying to gain the advantage back by hitting a noscoped shot to get back into scoping? This way, a battle can have a back and forth regardless of who gets the jump. If we just keep scopes, the initiator of the battle is far more likely to win. That's not outshooting and outaiming, that's who shot first.
No it can't because you can't zoom in and shoot back.

Except I (and many, many others) have, multiple times. Can you please stop trying to pass your own personal experiences off as factual?
Irony.

Descoping is the REASON for the disadvantage being so large.

I do all the time. Get shot, Ping him once, zoom, embarrass him.

No, because if you aren't zoomed in with the DMR at that range you can't hit things because the magnetism sucks balls.
That's why I said strafe, make him miss. I forgot though, you think it's absolutely impossible for someone to miss a shot at long range since it's so easy to aim with the DMR.

Question: if that's the case, what will it matter if there's de-scoping or not? If you can't un-scope him and he won't miss a shot, you die 100% of the time if he hits you first. I think I'd rather try to de-scope him and retreat.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Are you arguing that if you get shot by a DMR, you can't zoom back in and shoot the guy inbetween shots?

Not sure how many of you are participating in the Community Cartographers Forge Contest or are interested in forging in general in Halo: Reach or looking forward to forging in Halo 4, but I wanted to let you guys know that I just posted the first two actual videos (not including the intro... that is video 0 lol) of my new Mindful Cartography video series for those interested:

Debunking "Common Sense"
Incentives

If you haven't seen this series yet let me explain it just a bit. It will cover a wide array of level design topics to help people improve their skills for this contest, Reach maps intended for matchmaking, or Halo 4. It is strictly from my perspective right now, but I plan on interviewing some of the other CCs in the future. I'm hoping that these promote deeper discussions and that they encourage people to go deeper than most forgers by reading outside level design articles. I try to add in reference articles from around gaming industry to help forgers expand their knowledge by seeing things in a less Halo specific point of view. Hope you guys enjoy...

Oh and the intro to the series is here: http://youtu.be/Vya4Zpv7akM

No it can't because you can't zoom in and shoot back.
You do not need to zoom in to be able to shoot back. The lack of magnetism is your disadvantage, the disadvantage you want to bring back to the other guy. It does not make shooting back impossible like you'd want to claim, as you can still squeeze in scoped shots between anyway, especially if they miss.

789shadow

Banned
That's why I said strafe, make him miss. I forgot though, you think it's absolutely impossible for someone to miss a shot at long range since it's so easy to aim with the DMR.

Question: if that's the case, what will it matter if there's de-scoping or not? If you can't un-scope him and he won't miss a shot, you die 100% of the time if he hits you first. I think I'd rather try to de-scope him and retreat.
Because it's impossible to win when you're shot first in other circumstances, right.

Retro

Just played and..base speed is definitely faster. You CAN get knocked out of scope, but only if you take high damage.

So yeah, it sounds like there's some form of "scope health" that, once enough damage is caused, forces you out of scope. So a guy plinking you with a DMR shot from across the map won't be enough, but somebody putting some shots squarely into you from mid-range probably will.

789shadow

Banned
Where did anyone say this? :lol
Nowhere, so why is it supposedly true at long range with no scope kicking?

Exactly. If there is no scope kicking, long range fights simply play out exactly like every other DMR fight in the game when you get shot first.

CyReN

fC2lx.jpg

daedalius

So yeah, it sounds like there's some form of "scope health" that, once enough damage is caused, forces you out of scope. So a guy plinking you with a DMR shot from across the map won't be enough, but somebody putting some shots squarely into you from mid-range probably will.

This seems like a decent way to do it.

Removes the annoyance of being pinged once from across the map and descoping (although with the sniper this is arguable), while at the same time makes it possible to easily descope someone at medium range if you are actually concentrating your fire on them.

Maybe a headshot should descope you right away though?

Sadface.

Ryaaan14

Banned
How many people here are against de-scoping? I just want to make sure there's at least 1 other person before I embarrass myself per usual.

Sounds good to me.

Getting Overshields for kills does not.

Blinding

Nowhere, so why is it supposedly true at long range with no scope kicking?

Exactly. If there is no scope kicking, long range fights simply play out exactly like every other DMR fight in the game when you get shot first.

Because your argument is that it's impossible to turn a fight when you're shot first at long range due to descoping. How would you get back into that fight currently? By descoping who shot you first. Now take that out, and how are you going to win that fight? By the time you scope in and shoot back, you'll probably be down two shots without the ability to take him out of scope.

Fuchsdh

How many people here are against de-scoping? I just want to make sure there's at least 1 other person before I embarrass myself per usual.

I'm ambivalent. I can see both sides and have to balance my desire to see those stupid Reach snipers get burned, and my own annoyance when a random shot knocks me out and I miss a kill.

789shadow

Banned
Because your argument is that it's impossible to turn a fight when you're shot first at long range due to descoping. How would you get back into that fight currently? By descoping who shot you first. Now take that out, and how are you going to win that fight? By the time you scope in and shoot back, you'll probably be down two shots without the ability to take him out of scope.
Um, you would do what you would normally do when getting shot by a DMR. Strafing, and outshooting him if you're a better player.

Removes the annoyance of being pinged once from across the map and descoping (although with the sniper this is arguable), while at the same time makes it possible to easily descope someone at medium range if you are actually concentrating your fire on them.

Maybe a headshot should descope you right away though?

Sadface.

I agree, it seems like a decent workaround to both problems.

Retro

Now I wonder if there's going to be a customization option that increases how much damage you can take. Would obviously be a solid choice for a sniper loadout, but it would have to be a small increase or it's going to be OP.

Because it's impossible to win when you're shot first in other circumstances, right.
I'm not sure what this means. You are arguing that, with the ability to be hit out of scope, it is impossible to win a long range battle when you get shot first. Taking what you said and your perceived ease of use of the DMR, I'm saying that it wouldn't matter, un-scoping or not. In fact, with no de-scope mechanism it would be worse.

Does this mean you're agreeing with me here? Confused 0_o

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm ambivalent. I can see both sides and have to balance my desire to see those stupid Reach snipers get burned, and my own annoyance when a random shot knocks me out and I miss a kill.

Well, i don't like getting descoped, i'd be okay without it. But also okay with it, as i'm more or less used to it.

I take it this is a more or less neutral response?

Ok cool. I'm all for not breaking scope. Makes people a bit more conscious of their health during shootouts too. However I think I'd be okay with getting knocked out after a significant amount of damage.

Blinding

Um, you would do what you would normally do when getting shot by a DMR. Strafing, and outshooting him if you're a better player.

Which you can do with descoping in, so how is descoping the issue as opposed to a lack of judgement in positioning/awareness/etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom