• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Hey don't you remember? They killed Halo 2 LIVE so they could increase the friends limit...oh wait...

Although to be a little less bitchy on my end, part of the reason Halo 2 went down with the rest of OXbox Live is because they had no capability of allowing only Halo 2 to connect to LIVE. If they allowed Halo 2 to connect, every other game would still have to be allowed, which meant still supporting the original Xbox.

360 Live allows them to block games on a per-title-ID basis from connecting to LIVE (ie, signing into the Halo 3 Beta or Reach Beta knocks you off LIVE now), so hopefully they don't have to do that again 5 years after the 720 comes out to all 360 games.

But now it's 2 years since taking them offline. We're still at 100 friends and they've had how many dashboard updates and the "This message cannot be heard by original Xbox gamers" notice is still there when you send messages..

i4xdA9wNzmsiZ.JPG

Seems out of place considering how technologically advanced the aesthetic of the other guns looks.

While I'm here when does the tourney start? And what needs doin?
Not sure when it starts. Monsterfracas and kittens are still trying to decide how to divide teams, debating the inclusion of divisions, what should be played in the tournent, and probably a bunch of other stuff. I'd guess a couple of weeks until it starts.

KageMaru

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, HaloGAF moves way too fast for me to keep up with at work, but has it been discussed how this is the first Halo where John talks while the player is still in first person view?

IMO it has always been an intentional design decision not to have Chief talk while you were in his view. Instead, you rely on your own reactions to what Cortana was saying or towards the actions unfolding on the screen. Otherwise any time John spoke, it was during a cut-scene where the player was outside of his view. I think it was another way to help immerse the player into the character's role, same reason they won't ever show John's face. Not sure I really like it TBH.

Curious on everyone's thoughts on this if it hasn't been discussed already.

Not sure when it starts. Monsterfracas and kittens are still trying to decide how to divide teams, debating the inclusion of divisions, what should be played in the tournent, and probably a bunch of other stuff. I'd guess a couple of weeks until it starts.

Oh, well if either of you two need help PM me. I should have more time this week.

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, HaloGAF moves way too fast for me to keep up with at work, but has it been discussed how this is the first Halo where John talks while the player is still in first person view?
Are you 100% sure? Sounds about right though.

*shrug* I never had a probably being immersed into the MC before, don't really mind it. Hard to judge it off such a tiny moment.

Okay, so there's this Waypoint Forge contest for Objective maps that I'm going to enter (signed by 343 copy of Halo 4 is up for grabs) - I've got it all ready to test, but trying to get 9 people on for a series of Objective games is fucking impossible - anyone available to come online and test with me?

HaloGAF pls.

* I cannot guarantee the map will be a) Any good, b) fun, c) bug/glitch free.

:D

daedalius

Seems out of place considering how technologically advanced the aesthetic of the other guns looks.

I wouldn't say it doesn't keep with the design aesthetic of the other guns, it just seems they went with a more chunky-tech look for human-themed stuff.

Also they made a decision to actually put a scope lens on the scope instead of just the viewscreen, which I can understand. The inclusion of both may be a bit over the top, but I'm ok with that.

It doesn't look as sleek as the old sniper, but I like how it looks and I think it meets its design intentions pretty well.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Okay, so there's this Waypoint Forge contest for Objective maps that I'm going to enter (signed by 343 copy of Halo 4 is up for grabs) - I've got it all ready to test, but trying to get 9 people on for a series of Objective games is fucking impossible - anyone available to come online and test with me?

HaloGAF pls.

* I cannot guarantee the map will be a) Any good, b) fun, c) bug/glitch free.

:D

Can't do anything today to help but good luck!

I wouldn't say it doesn't keep with the design aesthetic of the other guns, it just seems they went with a more chunky-tech look for human-themed stuff.

Also they made a decision to actually put a scope lens on the scope instead of just the viewscreen, which I can understand.

It doesn't look as sleek as the old sniper, but I like how it looks and I think it meets its design intentions pretty well.

I think it looks like something out of Fallout.

daedalius

I think it looks like something out of Fallout.

I think its the cord and the pale screen; maybe they should make the screen look more like Reach's sniper screen(dark, green glowy); I think that would make it look more 'futuristic'. Could lose the cord probably too, or at least make it a different style.

Also, your twitter update is great, haha.

I really disagree with this. I don't think it adds anything in the way of immersion to have the character be completely mute (taken to the extreme in the Half-Life series, of course). The primary cause of this, for me at least, is that my personal comments are obviously not going to be responded to in the context of the game. We're a generation or two away from something like that, so at the moment I think it just strikes me as an awkward annoyance to have a truly silent protagonist.

Its best in ODST where Dare has an entire conversation with herself because for some reason the Rookie is incapable of speech. Dumb.

I think it was another way to help immerse the player into the character's role
I really disagree with this. I don't think it adds anything in the way of immersion to have the character be completely mute (taken to the extreme in the Half-Life series, of course). The primary cause of this, for me at least, is that my personal comments are obviously not going to be responded to in the context of the game. We're a generation or two away from something like that, so at the moment I think it just strikes me as an awkward annoyance to have a truly silent protagonist.

IMO it has always been an intentional design decision not to have Chief talk while you were in his view. Instead, you rely on your own reactions to what Cortana was saying or towards the actions unfolding on the screen. Otherwise any time John spoke, it was during a cut-scene where the player was outside of his view. I think it was another way to help immerse the player into the character's role, same reason they won't ever show John's face. Not sure I really like it TBH.

Curious on everyone's thoughts on this if it hasn't been discussed already.
He's talking in first person because 343 wants to make the Chief more of a character. Whether or not this works for or against the immersion of the game, we won't know until it comes out.
I think its the cord and the pale screen; maybe they should make the screen look more like Reach's sniper screen(dark, green glowy); I think that would make it look more 'futuristic'. Could lose the cord probably too, or at least make it a different style.
I like the retroactive look of human technology in Halo, but I think the sniper rifle goes too far.

KageMaru

Are you 100% sure? Sounds about right though.

*shrug* I never had a probably being immersed into the MC before, don't really mind it. Hard to judge it off such a tiny moment.

I'm 99.9% sure. =p

I never said that it worked for everyone, or even myself, I'm just speculating why this has been the case for 5 Halo games. Take Halo 1 as the perfect example, when Cortana said something while you were playing, it was easy to take that as her talking to you, not some character named Master Chief.

Also, Chief has never been the silent protagonist.

He's talking in first person because 343 wants to make the Chief more of a character. Whether or not this works for or against the immersion of the game, we won't know until it comes out.

I understand why they are doing it, but it did catch my attention back during the E3 conference and in a way I don't think it's necessary.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
My only gripe with the friends list is I can't give nicknames to my friends GT's so I can figure who everyone is without referring to a list.

GhaleonEB

That, and it's a really busy chunk of hardware. The profile is not symmetric, with a smooth side and a hard edged side, and the right has a different shape for each corner; the elegance of Bungie's designs are gone in favor of rough chunkiness. The screen isn't centered, leaving dead space; the entire scope/screen combo takes up way too much room; the carry bar sticks out into the field of view. I find the whole thing visually distracting.

It's just a jumbled incoherent piece of design work. I have no doubt I'll get used to it eventually, but it's a really odd step back from what was a signature style to the weapon.

Okay, really done teeing off on it now, as it's a minor (but ugly!) thing.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Considering Halo 4 takes control of the Chief for me during specific sequences, such as opening the elevator doors on the FUD, and punching both an Elite and a Knight, I'm pretty OK about John talking in the same perspective but with me in control in a limited number of instances.

He's not going to suddenly turn into a wise cracking Duke Nukem.

If anything it makes more sense - talking only in cut-scenes and being mute during gameplay despite the crazy shit happening around him, both in and out of battle, never really made any sense.

Just look at the silent Rookie in ODST, easily one of the weakest aspects about the game's narrative.

GhaleonEB

Considering Halo 4 takes control of the Chief for me during specific sequences, such as opening the elevator doors on the FUD, and punching both an Elite and a Knight, I'm pretty OK about John talking in the same perspective but with me in control in a limited number of instances.

He's not going to suddenly turn into a wise cracking Duke Nukem.

If anything it makes more sense - talking only in cut-scenes and being mute during gameplay despite the crazy shit happening around him, both in and out of battle, never really made any sense.

Just look at the silent Rookie in ODST, easily one of the weakest aspects about the game's narrative.
Yup, agree, especially about the Rookie. ODST's narrative was great and they dropped in a mute protagonist, making for some really odd cinematics. Very curious decision.

The friends list thing only bothers me because it was held up as a reason for OG Xbox going offline. It not growing and them not talking about it is that exact lack of transparency that earns them a bad rep.
Yeah, there it was especially glaring.

I never said that it worked for everyone, or even myself, I'm just speculating why this has been the case for 5 Halo games. Take Halo 1 as the perfect example, when Cortana said something while you were playing, it was easy to take that as her talking to you, not some character named Master Chief.

Also, Chief has never been the silent protagonist.
Why is that a good thing, though? It's kind of a strange meta commentary at that point. :lol

And I'd hate to speculate on why Bungie chose this route for the entire series, because I suspect it has to do with them just choosing to remain consistent with Halo 1 (the final game which had quite a short development) rather than to expand upon their hero. As Slighty Live brought up, they even did it in ODST for some odd reason.

The only things that really bother me here are the hose and piece of metal on the right. Really looks like something that was ripped out of my car's engine, and unnecessarily clutters up the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom