• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computron

Having spectators requires the bandwidth of another player being in the game, and actually a bit more since the spectator is going to need faster updates.

So if you have a 4v4 match, allowing 8 spectators = a BTB game.

Why would you allow 8 spectators? Why would you even need it to work over the internet? One over LAN would suffice for MLG. Just make it a monitor that can't affect the game. They could always just switch the feed for first person mode.

But I guess this is a highly specific use case that would probably not be worth time and money to invest.

OverHeat

« generous god »
He said it was a bandwidth hog, which wouldn't be nearly the same obstacle on LAN.

What exactly are proponents looking for in a spectator mode?

I wouldn't worry about it. There hasn't been an online Halo yet that didn't have a competitive ranking system.
Bandwidth hog my ass I have a 50 up 50 down connection give it to me frankles.

Karl2177

I just had a thought about servers, spectator mode, and whenever the first or second HaloGAF radio came out. Duncan said something about Battlefront 2 and setting up your box to act as a dedicated server. What if that dedicated server could also function as a spectator mode?

Yeah its definitely not worth it. Would be awesome for LAN stuff like MLG but is that enough to justify the man hours of coding to make it work?

That said, I know Gears 3 has an inbuilt spectate mode, how does that affect latency and stuff there?

EDIT: I suppose it helps that there's no real 'physical' objects to account for there? Except for players who obviously move around the map nothing else does right.

Gears is less network exhausting as it only has to check 5 things. Players XYZ and if he is currently shotgunning or rolling.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I would rather have a robust PC Client that works with my Xbox and allows me to watch that way. I would also pay for this program.

FyreWulff

Why would you allow 8 spectators? Why would you even need it to work over the internet? One over LAN would suffice for MLG. Just make it a monitor that can't affect the game. They could always just switch the feed for first person mode.

But I guess this is a highly specific use case that would probably not be worth time and money to invest.

LIVE and LAN use pretty much the same netcode (I'd say it's the same, but there's probably some differences when it's in LAN, you'd have to ask jonnyothan about that). Spinning off a features solely for LAN probably wouldn't be a good use of their time. Since both LAN and LIVE use asynch, stuff on LAN like dropped packets and network congestion can still occur. So stuff like grenades suddenly going backwards and sticking a player can still happen on LAN. It's just bit less likely. For the next part..

(edit: for the record, Halo 1 used Lockstep Networking for it's LAN multiplayer)

Bandwidth hog my ass I have a 50 up 50 down connection give it to me frankles.

Microsoft (and Sony) both impose total bandwidth usage restrictions on all games licensed for the console. This bandwidth limitation exists for both internet play and LAN. So even if you have 50/50, MS (and Sony) still cap all developers to the most common internet connection. I haven't heard it in a while, but that cap is lower than a lot of people would think. In fact, there's a few games where there's a 360 version and a PC version. PC version has more players. This wasn't solely a RAM issue, it was also bandwidth cap issue. For a couple of games it was solely because of MS's bandwidth cap.

Witty.
True

100 down suck my internet dee.
5 up

Thank you, I try! Be sure to tip your waitresses and so on and so forth.

Yea ISP's love to give customers that huge download number knowing noone will ever hit 100down at a single time hell at that point they should just say yes 2milllion DOWN!

You can however hit that Upspeed bottleneck especially if you were a streamer. Whats sad is the average sheep don't even know what that number means. Not even realizing the quality of connection is being cut slowly as more and more people hop on a companys framework.

Yet companies will continue to post faster higher profits then they will upgrade their service. Meaning internet is getting shittier. Which is why we can't have nice things.

Thanks Capitalism.

Yea ISP's love to give customers that huge download number knowing noone will ever hit 100down at a single time hell at that point they should just say yes 2milllion DOWN!

You can however hit that Upspeed bottleneck especially if you were a streamer. Whats sad is the average sheep don't even know what that number means. Not even realizing the quality of connection is being cut slowly as more and more people hop on a companys framework.

Yet companies will continue to post faster higher profits then they will upgrade their service. Meaning internet is getting shittier. Which is why we can't have nice things.

Thanks Capitalism.

I use newsgroups and kyle will tell you its easy to hit that 100 down.

Ryaaan14

Banned

Thanks Capitalism.

I don't get it, we have so much untapped internet right here in the US. Fucking mine that shit already.

Apparently it costs a load of money to get a stream up that is able to switch between all POVs. It requires you to capture 8 screens at the same time compared to only having to capture 2 (1 for both teams) for FPSs with spectator mode. It's also one of the reasons why it's harder for other companies to set up a proper stream because of the base costs.

Ah, I didn't consider that. Still though, it's not something that will stop Halo 4 from being picked up by MLG if they think that it will be profitable for them.

We saw more than just that from her.

Yes, yes we did.
werwequvt.gif

Microsoft (and Sony) both impose total bandwidth usage restrictions on all games licensed for the console. This bandwidth limitation exists for both internet play and LAN. So even if you have 50/50, MS (and Sony) still cap all developers to the most common internet connection. I haven't heard it in a while, but that cap is lower than a lot of people would think. In fact, there's a few games where there's a 360 version and a PC version. PC version has more players. This wasn't solely a RAM issue, it was also bandwidth cap issue. For a couple of games it was solely because of MS's bandwidth cap.

Yeah it's the main reason that BF3 doesn't have more than 24 players in a game on the Xbox and PS3.

OverHeat

« generous god »
So we are stuck with low player counts because of crappy isp?
Microsoft should treat them the same way they did 56k user on xbox live for xbox not enough bandwidth no play.

The guy who's getting me the flight to PAX hookup is being kinda shady. Hasn't answered my back in a week now that I'm ready to pay for the ticket. Ohhhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Do I have to fear?

Right but I still wanna go lol. I also told Hyper we would share a hotel so if this guy dicks me over then Hyper is roomateless :(
I do not like it to be alone in a room. I will be the whole time alone. like last year. :(

So we are stuck with low player counts because of crappy isp?
Microsoft should treat them the same way they did 56k user on xbox live for xbox not enough bandwidth no play.

Pretty much, you might be able to play it but the majority of people would strain. They possibly could play it too but why add latency and strain on a system thats already got enough of it?

-

Also I don't mean internet is actually getting shittier, thats kind of a bad way of looking at it. Its getting better, and it could be faster. America especially I think isn't ranking too well.

If a company paid their employees their upkeep, then rolled all the PROFIT into upgrades for their network and replaced more pieces that weren't the current standard. Just for AWHILE it would be a tremendous help overall. Its impossibly though with the whole public stock and investment and stuff. I assume these large companies aren't having any sleeping money at least.

Its all perfect world scenario but it could happen if a company really wanted to do better.

Hell I remember Adelphia when I first got it was uncapped. Unspeakable nowadays.

I think its like a too many men jumped on the ship kind of deal. Balancing the boat now.

I still do see a lot of upgrade shipments coming through though.

TCKaos

Hot Potato is retarded as fuck. Whoever created that gametype should be fired.

I think it was an excuse to prevent a team from holding the ball for the entire game. I can understand why some people would like it (makes it easier to take the bomb back) and why some absolutely hate it (random explosions make it far too easy to lose the bomb).

Reach is retarded as fuck. Whoever created that game should be fired.

Fixed it for you. :p

Not but really, hot potato is just a party game, works well for what it is, but it should be restricted to Action Sack, it shows up in other modes though. :(

As for that Sniper, I would love a redesign, but I doubt they will want to put people into doing that considering how busy everyone at 343 must be this close to going gold. I assume the game will be going gold in the next 3/4 months?

EDIT: Totally just found out my friend has just met a girl like almost 2 times his age. oh lawd. Thats the second friend this has happened to. WTF, awkward as hell meeting these milfs man.

FyreWulff

I think it was an excuse to prevent a team from holding the ball for the entire game. I can understand why some people would like it (makes it easier to take the bomb back) and why some absolutely hate it (random explosions make it far too easy to lose the bomb).

I amuse people by counting down from 10 and having the bomb explode at 0. It's like I have a sixth sense for when the Halo engine is going to screw me over.

All you have to remember is the first 30 seconds it's held, it's safe. Random time starts after that. So run away for the 30, then start approaching the other team with the ball / setting up on the respawns / get the rest of the team away from the ball for the next 30.

edit: but it is a bit weird that it shows up outside of Action Sack.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just make a good map and you won't need random explosions. Instead of making maps that support Oddball Bungie decided to be lazy and create a retarded gametype that 'fixes' the problem.

Is there any hope of there being more maps in SWAT? Swore Base gets voted for almost every time and it completely ruins the playlist. There is not one redeemable quality of that map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom