• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you stick your tongue out to me.

tumblr_l38167QFMC1qa6ql2o1_500.gif

OH MY GOD

how did i not realise that the wildling helping hodor and the stark boys is Tonks for harry potter :O

MIND=BLOWN

Iv seen her boobies

Overdoziz

Banned
It will be the same as previous Halos. That won't be what holds it back.
Apparently it costs a load of money to get a stream up that is able to switch between all POVs. It requires you to capture 8 screens at the same time compared to only having to capture 2 (1 for both teams) for FPSs with spectator mode. It's also one of the reasons why it's harder for other companies to set up a proper stream because of the base costs.

CyReN

I think there is some confusion on spectator mode, all we want are 1-2 slots for people to watch the game with capturing devices. We DON'T want 200 people in a 4v4 game for obvious reasons.

Here's a few vids explaining it.

*Yes DMAQ doesn't remember names well.

Aggrotek

No.

soon, 40 mins

I
cannot
promise the guardians will not kill you this time.

I think there is some confusion on spectator mode, all we want are 1-2 slots for people to watch the game with capturing devices. We DON'T want 200 people in a 4v4 game for obvious reasons.

Here's a few vids explaining it.

*Yes DMAQ doesn't remember names well.

Coach mode would be fucking amazing, holy shit.

Yea spectator mode would just add more strain on the game though, having to send information to one or two more players instead of just the 8 that are in a normal game.

Something they don't want, for the benefit of a small majority of players. LAN MLG basically.

CyReN

and
IQ0wj.png

Btw we (competitive community) are perfectly fine with no spectator mode off the bat, polish the game that is the number 1 thing right now for everyone and should be number 1. If you guys can do it after great, if it doesn't work out fine props for trying. I can't hate on people trying.

Frankie confirmed it in the latest Bulletin.
He said it was a bandwidth hog, which wouldn't be nearly the same obstacle on LAN.

What exactly are proponents looking for in a spectator mode?

im really glad 343 actually wants to try and work with different communities to make this game appeal to the biggest crowd possible. it gives me hope for a competitive ranking system.
I wouldn't worry about it. There hasn't been an online Halo yet that didn't have a competitive ranking system.

and
IQ0wj.png

Btw we (competitive community) are perfectly fine with no spectator mode off the bat, polish the game that is the number 1 thing right now for everyone and should be number 1. If you guys can do it after great, if it doesn't work out fine props for trying. I can't hate on people trying.

im really glad 343 actually wants to try and work with different communities to make this game appeal to the biggest crowd possible. it gives me hope for a competitive ranking system.

FyreWulff

wouldn't spectator mode just shit on the netcode anyway?

Having spectators requires the bandwidth of another player being in the game, and actually a bit more since the spectator is going to need faster updates.

So if you have a 4v4 match, allowing 8 spectators = a BTB game.

Karl2177

Having spectators requires the bandwidth of another player being in the game, and actually a bit more since the spectator is going to need faster updates.

What's your reasoning for this? As far as I know, it would essentially be like a death camera, but with a first person option.

FyreWulff

What's your reasoning for this? As far as I know, it would essentially be like a death camera, but with a first person option.

Yes. Making the first person view not skip around like a seizure-cam would require MUCH faster updates than what the game currently does. This is actually why Bungie didn't let you view other people's first person views, because it was too jerky and caused people to feel sick / looked bad.

In the Halo engine, and a lot of other games, you're not being fed 100% frame data all the time. Watch a film sometime, and notice people near you move smoothly. People far away from you skip slightly or suddenly change direction. This is because the host more frequently updates people next to you, and updates people across the map more slowly (because what they're doing matters less to you). This keeps bandwidth usage down. And that's Reach's improved networking, go look at films on Sandtrap in BTB and notice people that will suddenly jump five feet in the other direction.

To have a spectator mode that doesn't work like poop, AND supports first person, requires a lot more bandwidth and time. Bungie tried for it in Halo 3 and Reach. So it's not the requests have gone ignored, but there's practical reasons for not doing it considering dev times and such.

edit:
tl;dr the Host in networked games lies a lot, Spectator mode requires a lot more lies to cover the other lies

Yeah its definitely not worth it. Would be awesome for LAN stuff like MLG but is that enough to justify the man hours of coding to make it work?

That said, I know Gears 3 has an inbuilt spectate mode, how does that affect latency and stuff there?

EDIT: I suppose it helps that there's no real 'physical' objects to account for there? Except for players who obviously move around the map nothing else does right. (Or at least, nothing significant moves around, i.e. it doesnt matter if player 1 see's a bit of debris in another position than player 2, as that debris wont affect the game at all.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom