• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Does anyone know how to get the Halo 2 DLC maps back on my XBOX? Trying to plan a LAN.

You either need the Map Pack Disc and/or mod the Xbox so you can send Tombstone and Desolation and the final Halo 2 TU to the Xbox.

Past that you're on your own, since we can't link to where you can obtain the Blastacular Map Pack.

heckfu

Banned
Not everyone stare at once, but I think Marty is on an anti-evolution tirade on twitter.

Edit: seems he deleted some? Maybe my imagination.

Screen1E.gif

More arg stuff Frankie, pls

Not everyone stare at once, but I think Marty is on an anti-evolution tirade on twitter.

Edit: seems he deleted some? Maybe my imagination.
Wow is he serious? I'm not sure why people try to dismiss extremely complex and theoretical areas of physics they clearly know nothing about (origin of the universe in that tweet.)

heckfu

Banned
Wow is he serious? I'm not sure why people try to dismiss extremely complex and theoretical areas of physics they clearly know nothing about (origin of the universe in that tweet.)
I think he's very serious. I've been on Marty Twitter Watch for quite some time now and he's uber conservative it seems.

Quoting Halo Reach? You are, all of you vermin! Cowering in the dirt thinking... what? That you might enjoy that crappy game!??

Robberto get on xbox tomorrow!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Why is it that Sage, of Reach and beard fame, comes up with decent Halo multiplayer ideas AFTER he's finished work on Halo?

The Spartan Laser is fine. The real mistake was ever allowing vehicles to be destroyed… From a purely multiplayer perspective, the Warthog was much cooler when it was a mobile objective/weapons platform that both sides were fighting over. Also, we should have made you lock your target first.
Sage Merrill

Dammit, you had a whole game to yourself to implement this. =/

Robberto get on xbox tomorrow!

I will I will! Had a pretty hectic weekend but this week should be relatively calm. We'll do a GoW3 tomorow maybe!

I will bathe in your orange tears.

Meh, I'm kinda over it already. It wasn't that big of a surprise, was it? The sentence was a play on the Arbiter's line in Halo 3 when he kills truth. It sounds like he says ''asshole, you most be silenced instead of '' and so, you must be silenced'' :p

FyreWulff

Why is it that Sage, of Reach and beard fame, comes up with decent Halo multiplayer ideas AFTER he's finished work on Halo?
he Spartan Laser is fine. The real mistake was ever allowing vehicles to be destroyed… From a purely multiplayer perspective, the Warthog was much cooler when it was a mobile objective/weapons platform that both sides were fighting over. Also, we should have made you lock your target first.
Sage Merrill
Dammit, you had a whole game to yourself to implement this. =/
Man, I am saying this all the time! Halo would be so much more fun in BTB if they went back to indestructible vehicles. The tug of war with them DEFINED CE's multiplayer to me. Now they either serve to give a huge advantage that gets destroyed, or just get destroyed right off the bat. Vehicle destruction is one of the worst things Halo 2 has implemented to go on to the other games, along with dual wielding-- but that only infected 3.

Meh, I'm kinda over it already. It wasn't that big of a surprise, was it? The sentence was a play on the Arbiter's line in Halo 3 when he kills truth. It sounds like he says ''asshole, you most be silenced instead of '' and so, you must be silenced'' :p

Halo 3 had some good lines, but Halo 2 had great lines.

Check out the IMDB page for a refresher.

Tangent: What about a Spartan Laser that paints targets so someone with a Rocket Launcher can lock onto it? Food for thought. Back to cookout.
Seems pretty bad to have a weapon that is only designed to benefit the use of another weapon. Rather, give the RL the functionality to paint a target and subsequently fire and remove the Laser all together.

ElRenoRaven

Man, I am saying this all the time! Halo would be so much more fun in BTB if they went back to indestructible vehicles. The tug of war with them DEFINED CE's multiplayer to me. Now they either serve to give a huge advantage that gets destroyed, or just get destroyed right off the bat. Vehicle destruction is one of the worst things Halo 2 has implemented to go on to the other games, along with dual wielding-- but that only infected 3.

Yes it was. That's one reason Halo 1's multiplayer has been my number 1 favorite and still is. It's for the very reasons you mention too. Vehicles went from fun and useful to less useful in Halo 2, to even less useful in Halo 3, to totally useless in Halo: Reach unless it's the broken banshee. It was a combination of vehicles being destructible in 2 and the insane rocket lock that made them ok but easy to destroy. In 3 and Reach though with that 1 shot laser they became useless for the most part.

YEAH. INDESTRUCTIBLE REACH BANSHEES AND GAUSS HOGS FTW!

YEAH. INDESTRUCTIBLE REACH BANSHEES AND GAUSS HOGS FTW!
Think about it this way: Someone gets a Banshee and gets a ridiculous point lead. Now you finally destroy it and then what? Well, you're back to nothing and they still have the ridiculous lead. Instead, they could get their lead, they could die, then YOU can take the Banshee that dropped from the sky and bring the carnage right back to them. The OPness of those vehicles is compounded by the fact that they get destroyed when you finally manage to take the user out.

Were it so easy.

Oh, but it is.

Tartarus: [bringing the soon to be Arbiter to the Prophets] Noble Prophets of Truth and Mercy, I have brought the incompetent.
Prophet of Truth: You may leave, Tartarus.
Tartarus: But...
Prophet of Truth: And take your Brutes with you.
Tartarus: [disappointed] Release the prisoner.
[leaves]
Prophet of Truth: The Council decided to have you hung by your entrails, and your corpse paraded through the city. But ultimately, the terms of your execution are up to me.
Arbiter: I am already dead.
Prophet of Truth: Indeed. Do you know where we are?
Arbiter: The Mausoleum of the Arbiter.
Prophet of Truth: Yes. Here lies the vanguard of the Great Journey. Each Arbiter, created and consumed in times of extraordinary crisis.
Prophet of Mercy: The Taming of the Hunters, the Grunt Rebellion, were it not for the Arbiters, the Covenant would have fallen long ago!
Arbiter: Even on my knees, I do not belong in their presence...
Prophet of Truth: Halo's destruction was your error, and you rightly bear the blame. But the Council was, overzealous. We know you are no heretic. THIS is the TRUE face of heresy.
[indicating hologram]
Prophet of Truth: One who would subdue our faith, and induce rebellion within the High Council.
Heretic Leader: Our Prophets are FALSE! Open your eyes, my brothers! They would use the faith of our forefathers to bring ruin to us all! The Great Journey is...
Prophet of Truth: This Heretic, and those who follow him, must be silenced.
Arbiter: What use am I now? I can no longer command ships, lead troops into battle...
Prophet of Truth: Not as you are, no. But become the Arbiter, and you shall be set free of this heresy with our blessing.
[large case holding Arbiter's armour descends and opens]
Arbiter: What of the council?
Prophet of Mercy: The tasks you will take as the Arbiter are perilous, suicidal. You will DIE. As each Arbiter before you has died. The Council will have their corpse.
Arbiter: [walks to Arbiter armour, puts on helmet, and turns to Prophets] What would you have your Arbiter do?

Sooooo good.

daedalius

Indestructible vehicles?

That just seems ridiculous.

Oh, but it is.

Sooooo good.

Dialog and story beats are so good in 2; too bad all the dudebros complained it was too much to understand and they massively scaled it back in 3.

Hopefully 4 has the awesome exploration of CE, the story beats of 2, and the awesome sandbox encounters of 3 all rolled into one game.

The cutscene itself is really good, excellent voice acting and I love the musical cue when the Arbiter armor is revealed. The shot of Arbiter turning around to the camera/prophets for the final line works is awesome way to end the scene and show the transformation he's taken.

Think about it this way: Someone gets a Banshee and gets a ridiculous point lead. Now you finally destroy it and then what? Well, you're back to nothing and they still have the ridiculous lead. Instead, they could get their lead, they could die, then YOU can take the Banshee that dropped from the sky and bring the carnage right back to them. The OPness of those vehicles is compounded by the fact that they get destroyed when you finally manage to take the user out.
I do not understand this logic. If the Banshee is indestructible, how should I get control of the Banshee? Or did you mean to shoot the driver out? Oh yeah. That happens the whole time. The whole time. We always kill the driver...

Aggrotek

I do not understand this logic. If the Banshee is indestructible, how should I get control of the Banshee? Or did you mean to shoot the driver out? Oh yeah. That happens the whole time. The whole time. We always kill the driver...

It was easier to kill the driver of vehicles with homing rockets and such.

Damage to the vehicle translates to damage to the player instead, but the vehicle itself is never destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom