• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found a leaked pic of the Halo 4 Sniper:

yJDgql.jpg

It's missing the go pro duct-taped to the side, they must have changed it.

What if instead of easily-destructible vehicles or invincible vehicles, you find a middle ground that has some degree of strategy?

Say your standard Warthog has 100 'health'. You drive in towards the enemy base and they tear it apart, to zero health. Warthog explodes, everyone is ejected and has their shields popped (but they're not automatically killed) and the vehicle becomes unusable. However, any player can walk up to the dead warthog and repair it (same button as flipping it). Once the vehicle has a set amount of health repaired (say, 20) it can be driven again.

As a bonus, the passenger could have access to an on-board repair system, so instead of shooting he can be fixing the vehicle as it's driving around. Not so fast that he can keep the vehicle up through heavy fire, but enough that he can bring it back up a little between strafing runs. This comes at the cost of being able to shoot, so it's not something you'd ever want to do under fire (in fact, to keep it from being abused, it could automatically be disabled if you've been damaged in the last 3 seconds or something).

Throw in an Armor Ability or Specialization or something that increases how quickly you can repair vehicles and you've got something to play with. Maybe even a passive ability that auto-repairs vehicles you're in or increases their maximum 'health'.

Might be an interesting strategy to leave enemy vehicles with 21 health and wait for some schmuck to hop into it for a quick and easy shield-pop.
What I like about inulv vehicles is that they always keep vehicles in play and that going into enemy territory with one might be handing it to them, but this could be interesting as well. Something other than getting it destroyed and waiting for it to respawn at the base again.

It had server browsing and very wonky netcode! On PC at least. Anyways, there are some cases of things being altered for the sake of matchmaking like aim-assist, but this isn't it at all. Invul vehicles should make a comeback-- even though I know it won't happen because everyone has a boner for "realism".
That's the best part, since the vehicle destruction is so far away being realistic. Vehicles (like the warthog) would not explode from gunfire; even shooting the gas tank would not give that stupid movie effect. What should happen is the vehicle should break down/no longer be operable. The only thing that should utterly destroy vehicles in an explosion is the rocket launcher/similar weapons.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm glad you guys aren't making the game.

I can only hope they went the H2 route of linking player health to vehicles.

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo 2 did vehicles well... That and many other things. Why the developers have to fuck with things that worked perfectly once we'll never know.

wwm0nkey

Halo 2 did vehicles well... That and many other things. Why the developers have to fuck with things that worked perfectly once we'll never know.

The only thing they needed to do is alert you when you were locked on and that would have improved the lock on rockets even more.

They really NEED to do that with the laser though because due to the red maker disappearing in online matches it makes the laser the biggest pain in the ass when driving.
(and no I am not talking about the charge up sound you only hear half the time, I want your vehicle to make it obvious someone is about to wreck your shit)

Retro

What I like about inulv vehicles is that they always keep vehicles in play and that going into enemy territory with one might be handing it to them, but this could be interesting as well. Something other than getting it destroyed and waiting for it to respawn at the base again.

Right, that element would carry over in that the vehicles aren't destroyed when they reach zero health, they're just 'stalled' until you repair them. If you take your warthog out and get killed, the enemy has it now. They just need to repair it to get it up and running.

Of course, there's a degree of strategy to be had shooting the occupants of the vehicle rather than the vehicle itself to keep it as healthy as possible for your own use.

Oh, don't get me wrong, in a perfect world that's exactly what we'd get. But since it's obvious at this point that they're not doing that, I'm just throwing the idea out there, for whatever it's worth.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The more I think about it, the more I would be okay with a Halo spinoff done in the vein of Battlefield. Minus ADS and weapon attachments.

I would want player health to be linked to the vehicle taking damage as well, I just don't want the vehicle to become invalid because I killed the driver.

Yeah, Halo 2 was probably the most well-received Halo game and most popular but they keep moving further away from that game. You can preach "change" and "evolution" all you want but it's not making a better game. Playing split-screen 1 v 1s in Halo 2 is still the most fun gaming experience I have.

Trey

Yeah, Halo 2 was probably the most well-received Halo game and most popular but they keep moving further away from that game. You can preach "change" and "evolution" all you want but it's not making a better game. Playing split-screen 1 v 1s in Halo 2 is still the most fun gaming experience I have.

You dirty screen watcher.

Tawpgun

V57TL.jpg

edit: even after launch settled down, Halo 3 maintained 3x the peak concurrent users that Halo 2 ever did.

Source: Bungie Publications, E Pluribus Unum: Matchmaking in HALO 3

dat consistency.

That kind of comparison is unfair anyway for the same reason every new CoD breaks sales records. More people have consoles/come of age/buy them.

And Halo 2's last 2 years was competing with Xbox 360 games.

Hell, if I recall, Halo 2 had more live activity than Gears of War.

FyreWulff

dat consistency.

That kind of comparison is unfair anyway for the same reason every new CoD breaks sales records. More people have consoles/come of age/buy them.

And Halo 2's last year was competing with Xbox 360 games.

Hell, if I recall, Halo 2 had more live activity than Gears of War.

The comparison is fair. Halo 3 had 3x the players, and convinced most of the Halo 2 playerbase to switch over to it. Notice Halo 2 just up and dying when Halo 3 comes out.

But then again, if I believed some posters, Halo Reach only did a third of the sales of Halo 3, even though it's had more population and for a longer amount of time.

It'll be interesting to see if 4 does to Reach what 3 did to 2 and what Reach did to 3.

edit: if anything, that should be telling on how low a population Gears actually had.

senador

Banned
The more I think about it, the more I would be okay with a Halo spinoff done in the vein of Battlefield. Minus ADS and weapon attachments.

This is my most wanted combo ever. Well, actually it's a tie between this and a Battlefront style Halo game.

Um, not even close.

HA! I and a few others brought this up once. I still think it'd be awesome. ADS can go, but I'd keep attachments.

Make the game a mesh of both, and not just a skin. Add classes like BF3 has. Make the movement and combat more Halo style. Make the vehicles a bit harder to control and behave somewhat like BF. Oh man, it wouldn't be arena Halo at all, but it'd be pretty damn awesome.

No, Invasion doesn't even compare, at all.

Wow...wut

I'd love to see that with Halo 3 vs Halo Reach.

I imagine it'd be similar to the other graph, but with a smaller gap between 3 and Reach.

Yea it should show percentage of live owners that played halo2 vs h3 that would show which is more popular. Plus h2 was so off the hook that h3 gained followers from h2s awesomeness

Players on h2/players on live during h2

" for h3

Compare

What? Unfair in what regard? Weren't we discussing popularity? What's unfair about comparing populations in a discussion of popularity?

Hence it was the least popular.

Sometimes GAF makes my brain ache.

Popular was probably the wrong word. Let's be real, Halo 2 was the best game by far. Halo 3 and CE are right behind it though. Reach is somewhere way below not even in the same league. I like Reach too, but to even say it's on the same level as the trilogy games is hilarious.

GhaleonEB

Checklist for today:

Explore Oregon Caves: check

See California redwoods for the first time: check

Bridget barfing due to motion sickness after lunch: check

Bridget barfing due to motion sickness in the diner bathroom: check

Bridget barfing on herself, the booster seat, the seat belt, her shirt, pants, shoes, car door, floor and seat because we ran out of barf bags: check

Next time we take the scenic route: after Bridget is in college

I was the same way when I was her age, still get motion sick super fast; I recall my mom hauling me around like this as I turned her car into a rolling vomitorium. Kiddo had a rough day.

Hi. Gonna catch up on the thread and then crash.

Tunavi

Banned
Hi. Gonna catch up on the thread and then crash.
I remember being on a family road trip around NorCal when I was younger. My sister was about 5 and she was getting motion sickness so we stopped the car. as soon as my mom opened the door, she vomited everywhere out the side of the car. When the smell hit me, I vomited too.

Good times.

Falagard

Well I mean the number of people on XBL was way smaller during the OG Xbox days than when Halo 3 launched.

This. Keep in mind that Halo 2 launched only 2 years after Xbox Live was launched. There were a fraction of the number of subscribers for Xbox Live on the Xbox as there were on the 360.

GhaleonEB

1) I was intentionally using the term in the other meaning as part of a tongue in cheek post. You know, the reference right below your image cuts off. Yes, I know they weren't real. Yes, using the term in that context if fine, because it conveys a humorous and understandable image when used in the context I did. The English language is wonderfully malleable.

2) Don't be such an ass.

Catching up complete. Laters everyone. :D

daedalius

Thinking about playing through Metroid Prime again; only not sure how bad it will look on big screen and massive sub-hd...

Should have gotten the collection when it came out, damnit.

blamite

Thinking about playing through Metroid Prime again; only not sure how bad it will look on big screen and massive sub-hd...

Should have gotten the collection when it came out, damnit.

I just replayed the Collection version a few months ago (borrowed from a friend, don't own it myself sadly). It was great, totally worth a replay. If only the sequels were as great...

Popular was probably the wrong word. Let's be real, Halo 2 was the best game by far. Halo 3 and CE are right behind it though. Reach is somewhere way below not even in the same league. I like Reach too, but to even say it's on the same level as the trilogy games is hilarious.
Conversely, this is hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom