• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really fascinating to see how much of a hit Halo 3 took after COD4, and then was able to rebound somewhat. Is there anywhere an expanded version of that graph is at?

Both install bases could play Halo 2.

Yeah well but people are going to purchase and play the new game, just like how the newest COD is more popular by numbers than the previous one.

Install base is only one factor to consider though. It's quite hard to measure "popularity" of a game that is three years apart and launched on different platforms. Number of players, and Halo 3 murders Halo 2, but I bet if you measured by percentage of total people on Live which ones were playing Halo, Halo 2 would have a much higher percentage. In a similar vein, Halo 2 reigned with little competition on Xbox Live, Halo 3 had more, but still dominated the field with COD 4 as the first real competitor to Halo's domination of Xbox Live. By the time Reach came out, the install base was massive and more people were playing a lot more games than when the previous games came out.

We will see, keeping expectations low and maby I'll actually be suprised. Gameplay has to be rock solid though first and foremost.

I agree, but I have a hard time thinking of a Zelda game that have poor gameplay. Other than those CDi ones, of course, but they don't count because they were never made.

Computron

1) I was intentionally using the term in the other meaning as part of a tongue in cheek post. You know, the reference right below your image cuts off. Yes, I know they weren't real. Yes, using the term in that context if fine, because it conveys a humorous and understandable image when used in the context I did. The English language is wonderfully malleable.

2) Don't be such an ass.

Catching up complete. Laters everyone. :D

Sorry? Not sure why you took offense, it's a common misconception.

And, what reference cuts off?

daedalius

Game doesn't look too awful on my TV; I'm pretty surprised.

Altho wow, wish I could play it with my 360 controller and dual-analog.

Also, playing Metroid Prime makes me even more excited for that HUD in Halo 4; I love how it moves around with you and you can see the edges of the visor. AWESOME!

Thanks for the link btw Fyre, these publications are always interesting and I haven't looked at this one before.

Also, playing Metroid Prime makes me even more excited for that HUD in Halo 4; I love how it moves around with you and you can see the edges of the visor. AWESOME!

Yeah I guess the trilogy release added dual-analog/nunchuck support to all three games even though the first two didn't have that originally. I can't believe I didn't snag a copy of that, and I can't believe that they actually ran a limited print of those.

wwm0nkey

With emulators you can, you can also play it in glorious 1080p!

With emulators you can, you can also play it in glorious 1080p!

Due to the way a lot of Gamecube/Wii games' art styles are, they look really fantastic, too! I've played Windwaker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 on my PC, and they are fantastic. Takes a decently beefy spec, though.

wwm0nkey

Due to the way a lot of Gamecube/Wii games' art styles are, they look really fantastic, too! I've played Windwaker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 on my PC, and they are fantastic. Takes a decently beefy spec, though.

Playing Wind Waker in 1080p on my 42" with a 360 controller was possibly the greatest thing in the world.

I'm glad I picked up the Metroid Prime Triology for Wii before it went out of print.

I still haven't played through any of them.

What is wrong with you? So good.

Looking from the matchmaking publication by Bungie that Fyre referenced. I know a couple people were asking how many people participate in the internal MS tests for Halo 4. They list that for Halo 3, they did internal MS Alpha and Beta tests and have about 10,000 participants.

No idea how those numbers compare for Reach and H4, but they have to be at least that.

I dunno, outside of the main Mario titles I haven't really played many of the big Nintendo titles. The Zeldas I've played were LttP and OoT (I only played through OoT this year), I've only played Metroid Zero Mission, I haven't touched any of the Paper Marios/Mario RPG/Mario Parties, I've only played the original Mario Kart and the DS one-- although I played a little of the MK64. I've rented DKC once and it was horrible.

So! Yeah. Their stuff has gone completely over my head, and for no reason in particular. I've owned all their home consoles sans GameCube.

FyreWulff

Looking from the matchmaking publication by Bungie that Fyre referenced. I know a couple people were asking how many people participate in the internal MS tests for Halo 4. They list that for Halo 3, they did internal MS Alpha and Beta tests and have about 10,000 participants.

No idea how those numbers compare for Reach and H4, but they have to be at least that.

A cool one is the Reach animation publication. It even has embedded videos

Yea I am trying to figure it out right now actually.

Do you just have to set up your controller in the dolphin application?
Should be two options on the tool bar that say GCPad and Wiimote. Click whichever of those is applicable and then select gamepad under devices. There should be plenty of controller configurations online you can look up if you want, as well.

_woLf

This Halo 4 ARG looks like it could be really fun... I'm glad they're taking the route (seemingly) that they did with I Love Bees where it's like things are getting hacked/glitched up instead of what they did for Halo 3 with Iris. Didn't enjoy that one as much.

FyreWulff

KevinRo

Where is the publication in which they showed off their system that auto-generated the Imposters? I dont think its part of any of the ones on their page, I remember seeing it one of the GDC Vids.

EDIT: NVM, I found it.

Here it is if you guys want to watch an interesting video on Halo: Reach rendering and the debug menus. The presentation is in the description.

This is awesome. I live for this kind of siht. Really makes you appreciate the game and the effort put into making one.

FyreWulff

Wow thanks for that post, I was about to hit that link on my phone.

Also random Omaha reference outta nowhere. They show a render job email, which references this source/destination:

\\spark\build\Imposters\Omaha\main\209101

I wonder what the hell in Reach was called "Omaha"

FyreWulff

Bits from that presentation:

Models pre and post imposterization:

a7AxSl.jpg

r51WUl.jpg

Issues with the system:

K4Op1l.jpg

Computron

I wonder where they store all the BRDF parameters, multiple vertex color channels? Bungie should take those low spec assets and make a mobile Halo Wars game.

Computron

Also random Omaha reference outta nowhere. They show a render job email, which references this source/destination:

sparkbuildImpostersOmahamain209101

I wonder what the hell in Reach was called "Omaha"

Omaha? Probably the Part of the game where they got the on rails falcon and the civvies getting shot down an you having to arm missile batteries?

I think in the Bungie History vidoc they were talking about how some of the programmers would make diary entries in the comments of their code. Like what they did at work that day or what they saw out their window. I was playing around with the Guerilla tag editor in Halo 2 Vista a while back when I was making maps and they are pretty chatty in the comments. People making fun of Marty, talking about metal gear and shit...

I want modable/technical access to Bungie games. Is Tiger coming to PC?

GAF is asleep?
I thought I'd drop this in. Slides and notes from Halo 3 Gameplay Design Lead Jaime Griesemer, at GDC 2010.
Notes:
Oneof the tropes of the design community… Rock, Paper, Scissors
But it’s a terrible game!!!
Every choice has the same payoffs, so you pick randomly
A cool shirt, though (www.noisebot.com)
EDIT:
After my talk, several people took issue with the fact that RPS is a bad game
“It is the foundation of all good RTS games!”
But imagine a RTS game where you could only pick one unit, you had to pick it before the game started, and if you picked wrong you couldn’t possibly win, It’d be a bad game!
The reason a RTS game works is because it isn’t RPS:
-You can play mixed strategies (choose more than one kind of unit)
-Strategies have different costs to play (tanks cost more than barbarians)
-You can change strategies mid-game
-Strategies rarely have an all-or-nothing payoff (10 Air units can usually kill 1 Anti-air unit)
So I am not using RPS in the casual sense of “a game with counter-strategies” but as defined in game theory
Hopefully that clears things up a bit
EDIT 2:
I also got a lot of people saying, “It is the foundation of Street Fighter!”
This is true, somewhat, more than the RTS case, anyway
But imagine a turn-based game of SF where the first hit wins the match, again, a bad game
The reason SF works is that it is also not really RPS:
-SF is a seriesof RPS interactions, so things like reputation and anticipation come in
-It is played veryquickly, so low level decision making and muscle memory determine your strategy more than choices
-And even with that, most non-expert players tend to “button-mash” which is a great example of “random strategy”
Believe me, I am not trying to insult RTS games or SF (or even Ro Sham Bo Tournament Champions) but to encourage designers to see how roles lead to non-equal payoffs, and therefore avoid random strategies

Notes:
“Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock” is worse game design
This game is from the show “Big-Bang Theory”
It looks more interesting, but it isn’t
It is just more complicated
It will still reduce to equal payoffs and random play

^^Um, source, Der?
What if instead of easily-destructible vehicles or invincible vehicles, you find a middle ground that has some degree of strategy?
I don't think there's a middle ground that's needed. As I understand it, how vehicle and player health interacted with each other was the same in all Halo games until Reach. Yes, the vehicles were indestructible in Halo: CE, so what mattered was the player health. Did this change for 2/3/ODST? No. In those games, it wasn't the vehicle health that mattered, it was the player health, and the system worked perfectly. Then Bungie gave vehicles their own health in Reach and what we got was a messed up system that was unpredictable and clunky.

As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no reason for 343 to keep Reach's vehicle/player health system. If they do, I'll be severely disappointed.

zap

I loved Jaime's presentation, was really interesting and enlightening. Nice to see it brought up again.

Something interesting to think about regarding 343 adding lots of new weapons...

--
The Sniper Rifle is the only very long-range weapon
--
(Okay, technically there is a Beam Rifle, but not on the same mission!)
--
Role:Weapon is 1:1
---
Weapons without unique Roles add complexity, not depth

--
It is hard to add weapons to Halo, all the roles are filled
--
Roles must be unique

I mean, I guess theya re wanting to add complexity for their investment system, but yeah... we'll see how it goes regarding balance I guess!

EDIT:

Dax: http://www.bungie.net/Inside/publications.aspx#pub25279 "Design In Detail"

Direct link to 12mb pdf: http://downloads.bungie.net/presentations/Griesemer_Jaime_DesignInDetail_Sniper.pdf

Petrichor

I loved Jaime's presentation, was really interesting and enlightening. Nice to see it brought up again.

Something interesting to think about regarding 343 adding lots of new weapons...

I mean, I guess theya re wanting to add complexity for their investment system, but yeah... we'll see how it goes regarding balance I guess!

EDIT:

Dax: http://www.bungie.net/Inside/publications.aspx#pub25279 "Design In Detail"

Direct link to 12mb pdf: http://downloads.bungie.net/presentations/Griesemer_Jaime_DesignInDetail_Sniper.pdf

So the rocket launcher / fuel rod gun, battle rifle / carbine, and plasma rifle / assault rifle don't fulfill similar roles?

Funny, because I thought that was the worst.

It's overly cheesy, while the Requiem track is full of awe and wonderment. Giving each sequence time to breathe in a amazing way. It almost is hauntingly beautiful.

I didn't even know tracks could sound "cheesy" lol...guess we'll agree to disagree. I liked it so much it's actually probably one of the best I've heard in a long time in any game.

Retro

I don't think there's a middle ground that's needed. As I understand it, how vehicle and player health interacted with each other was the same in all Halo games until Reach.

I meant a middle ground between the main series Halo games and Reach. Obviously the ideal is to stick with what has worked in the past, but if they insist on a Reach-style approach for Halo 4, I should hope they implement something so vehicles aren't pointless. Thus, the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom