• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

They haven't shown off theater and forge because I doubt theres much improvement. I'd love to be proven wrong. I've been waiting to be proven wrong when I laughed at framerate, or spectator mode, or the list of other things confirmed not in H4 so far. I've forgotten the whole list but theres a few checks we've crossed off so far.

Anyone who thought the framerate would magically jump up to 60 was a fool to begin with. Spectator mode would probably be used by less than 5% of the population. Some things, as cool as they would be, simply probably aren't worth the dev time.

How many games on consoles have spectator modes? Probably could count them on one hand. We've wanted it in our Madden league for years, but obviously there's some reason the devs don't see it as worth the time.

You blast SpOps, but FF was tired and needed a makeover, and really, where else do you take it except mini campaign type missions instead of a shooting gallery?

GhaleonEB

It's a pretty big deal, though much depends on quality. Really ambitious stuff compared to Firefight.

343 have shown a very small sliver of the game. For MP, we've seen a couple of game types and a basket of features. Most of the stuff you mention hasn't been revealed. Forge, films, Waypoint integration, most of the War Games game types and so on are all under wraps.
They haven't shown off theater and forge because I doubt theres much improvement. I'd love to be proven wrong. I've been waiting to be proven wrong when I laughed at framerate, or spectator mode, or the list of other things confirmed not in H4 so far. I've forgotten the whole list but theres a few checks we've crossed off so far.

They haven't shown Forge an Theater because they just unveiled War Games, Spartan Ops, Campaign and swaths of the investment suite. They've already said the rest of this stuff is being doled out gradually; that's the same pattern we've come to know and love from prior releases.

How many games on consoles have spectator modes? Probably could count them on one hand. We've wanted it in our Madden league for years, but obviously there's some reason the devs don't see it as worth the time.

Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty: World At War
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Yep, one hand.

Ramirez

Isn't COD's "spectator mode" just the ability to follow other players on death? You could probably do that in Halo 3 in certain gametypes.

When these guys say spectator mode, I think they want to be able to watch other people's matches without actually being a part of the game. I'm not sure if any console game allows that. I know when the 360 launched it was being hyped as a feature for PGR & PDZ, but it never really took off in the future.

Anyone have a new sarcasm meter for Ram? His seems to be broken :p

I knew the first part was sarcasm, but the second part, I wasn't sure. You backhanded him in the first sentence, then complimented him in the last sentence. :p

Isn't COD's "spectator mode" just the ability to follow other players on death? You could probably do that in Halo 3 in certain gametypes.

When these guys say spectator mode, I think they want to be able to watch other people's matches without actually being a part of the game. I'm not sure if any console game allows that. I know when the 360 launched it was being hyped as a feature for PGR & PDZ, but it never really took off in the future.

No, you can literally spectate anyone.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I've got scheduling info from four teams, and so far no teams are available at the same time. This tournament might take a while, haha.

And in case folks missed my post from before:

TOURNEY SCHEDULING UPDATE!

I need team captains to have their team fill out a scheduling poll on Doodle.com and send me the results. There's a few important details to this.
  • Make sure to enter in an email when creating the poll. That'll make it a lot easier to access later.
  • When creating the poll, start with Saturday June 30 and end with Sunday July 8.
  • When creating time slots, fill out the top row starting with 10am and ending with 10pm. You'll need to push the 'Add further time slots' button a few times. Select 'Copy and paste first row' to have the time slots copy to all the date rows.
  • VERY IMPORTANT: enable time-zone support in the poll!
  • Once your entire team fills it out, email me (see below) the participation link, and I'll use it to match you up with other teams.
  • I need this done by Friday June 29 at Noon (Pacific Time).
I'll try to fit in as many teams as possible within this time period, but I doubt everyone will make it in. If that's the case, I'll get in contact with captains again and we can do another round of scheduling. Please remember that each round is three matches. If your team loses in at least two of those three matches, you're banished to Waypoint out of the tournament. Winning teams will go up against another winning team for another round, possibly within the same June 30 - July 8 period, but maybe not. We'll see how quickly the first round of matches goes.

My email address: kittensfromgaf@gmail.com. Email me here when your team has their schedule filled out, or if you have any questions or anything. Also, please bookmark this post for future reference.

If anyone wants to nitpick this plan, make it quick. :)

Edit : I'll be adding matches to this Google Calendar as they're scheduled! That's in Pacific Time.

Edit 2 :

Ken

You don't want spectator mode in console games. I have wasted too many hours using LoL's spectator mode. Stay away!

Ramirez

No, you can literally spectate anyone.

You can watch full matches of people without partaking in the game? I truly don't recall this feature in any of them...

A Universe panel I believe.

That's it? eh

You don't want spectator mode in console games. I have wasted too many hours using LoL's spectator mode. Stay away!

I don't personally care about spectator mode in Halo, but I would love it for Madden. We always had huge games every week with huge implications usually with people who didn't like each other. Would be great to be able to start a XBL chat and watch the game together.

K I guess I'm just pessimistic about this release.

New company holding Halo by the balls, and they've released bad maps for Reach. Haven't updated MM well with Reach. Shitty website.

I'm sorry, it just seems dark to me. Maybe it will be a great game and MM will be updated well and we'll get to pick what we want to play. I dunno.

You know what they say dong in one hand and wish in the other, see which one fills up quickest.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't personally care about spectator mode in Halo, but I would love it for Madden. We always had huge games every week with huge implications usually with people who didn't like each other. Would be great to be able to start a XBL chat and watch the game together.
Fuuuuuck I would love that for Halo.

New company holding Halo by the balls, and they've released bad maps for Reach. Haven't updated MM well with Reach. Shitty website.

I'm sorry, it just seems dark to me. Maybe it will be a great game and MM will be updated well and we'll get to pick what we want to play. I dunno.

You know what they say dong in one hand and wish in the other, see which one fills up quickest.

Why is the site bad?

TheOddOne

Yea I was talking about Spartan Ops though lol. Thats like stolen directly from CoD's Spec Ops. They hardly changes the name.
Special Ops in CoD are just rehashed/remixed segments of the campaign with added scoring elements or wave based challenges. No connection to the main story is made and some of missions are locked away for only two players. This mode is the definition of padding the game for the sake of having something on the back of the box.

If we are to believe, Spec Ops in Halo 4 will have a narrative that takes place after the main campaign. Will have 4 player co-op, newly created levels and new characters that will be introduced. IMO I will give you that the name is a rip-off, but this sounds more like an evolution of Firefight instead of actually calling it Firefight 3.0.

CyReN

Call of Duty 4
Call of Duty: World At War
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Yep, one hand.

You forgot
Call Of Duty 2 (launch 360 title)
Gears of War 3 (patched on)
Street Fighter
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 2

PC wise

Starcraft 2
Counter Strike
League of Legends
World of Warcraft
Team Fortress 2

Ramirez

I think everyone is a little pessimistic about the game, but you can't crap on them for phoning it in when they haven't even shown their full hand yet.

I also don't believe you can take their handling of Reach as any indication of 4, Reach is obviously on the backburner. 343 themselves haven't released a single map for Reach have they? Pretty sure they were all done by CA & most of them were remakes anyways. Certainly no worst than the maps Reach shipped with, that's for sure.

Havok

Real-time "good game, but..."s. The world would never be the same.

Why is the site bad?
I can only speak to my experience with it, but it is often unresponsive, slow to load, very transition-heavy, and prone to throwing up errors unless you use the site regularly. Clicking links to the bulletin after a couple days not using the site always, 100% of the time throws up an error for me the first time I click it. Their stat tracking is still not as robust as Bungie's, though that may change once it's their own game being tracked, and the layout for the stats is not as clean. I've come a long way towards liking the site more since I've had to use it regularly now that bnet isn't an option, but it's got some spots for improvement. However, I do like their Waypoint mobile app, using it on WP7 is a very smooth experience, so I know they're capable of doing something better than what the site is right now.

But they do have a 'thank' system, so I guess that's something.

BigShow36

I'm actually more optimistic about Halo being in the hands of 343 than Bungie. With Bungie, we know we're going to get crap; at least with 343 there's a chance for redemption. I absolutely hated the aura that Bungie projected over the past 5 years, and while there's a little of that arrogance/patronizing feel at 343, its certainly not as strong (or maybe just not as evident).

I think you can kinda spectate in CoD matchmaking by refusing to pick an initial class. It might boot you for inactivity after a certain amount of time though, but I don't know for sure

CyReN

When did WoW get spectator mode?

I believe late 2011.

A spectator mode like in CoD would be nice. I think it's only allowed in custom games and you can also go into first person.

and if it's anything:

pqBhB.png

Hello My name Adam just got validated Been a long time halo Fans since 2001 good memories hanging out with my drum-line friends playing halo and halo 2 on lan during down time. Been really into the story behind halo read all the books and Pretty excited about Halo 4. Been lurking around Gaf for about a year or so Seems like a cool place thought i would join but just wanted to say hey.

Also im a chef any one need for a personal cook???
Gamer tag is deltaunithink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom