• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risen

I've run or helped run a few tournaments... From FFA to BTB. In our current style, those running the tourny could provide a date each week for a round to be played. Give the team captains 7 days to get together. If a someone can't make it during that seven days, their team plays a man down or forfeits. Usually tournys in this style would allow teams of 5 or 6 to have alternates for scheduling conflicts. But they work fine without.

Edit: Posted the above from my phone so was brief, but back at computer:

So - post the bracket. Set one round per week. Official game time is Sunday, but the teams have 7 days to play their round (so through Saturday night at the end of the week). Make it the responsibility of the captains to get their teams together. This way there are only two people talking and deciding on the time, who are only in touch with their respective teams. If a team can't play with full roster because someone can't make the time, they play short or forfeit. Allow gentleman's agreements to play 3v3 if needed.

It works, and takes pressure off those running it.

FyreWulff

Halo 3 DLC implementation was fucking terrible. Locked out of most playlists if you don't buy these crappy maps. Yeah, I sure want to spend 10 bucks on Sandtrap 2.0 Forge version to get to play BTB again. Having to spend nearly $100 to get access to all the playlists? Terrible. Not again.

I don't know what's the solution other than a games/server list. Apparently that's way too above people's heads. Way too complicated even though these same people can operate computers and smartphones and other technologies. Oh games/server list... That's like fucking rocket science to some.

Fable 2's implementation.

Release a "free" version of the DLC that doesn't let you get achievements or whatever bonuses.

Paid version lets you unlock achievements and whatever new armor or whatever the fuck.

This way paid users get to play the content they paid for and the playerbase isn't split down the middle.

Ramirez

I still think people from different continents shouldn't have been placed together. Scheduling nightmare...

DLC should be required in majority of the playlists. If you're still playing a games MP a year or two after release, ten bucks for maps is nothing. I paid for all of these maps and they rarely show up in what I like to play.

Karl2177

Fable 2's implementation.

Release a "free" version of the DLC that doesn't let you get achievements or whatever bonuses.

Paid version lets you unlock achievements and whatever new armor or whatever the fuck.

This way paid users get to play the content they paid for and the playerbase isn't split down the middle.
You aren't going to get a ton of money doing that with a multiplayer game.

notsureifserious.

i agree with him, well except i think halo reach has the most boring campaign. halo 3 is my second least favorite campaign. the only redeemable parts of halo 3's campaign are The Ark, The Covenant, and the warthog run. those are the only reasons to play through halo 3.

Halo 2 > Halo > Halo 3:ODST >>> Halo 3 >>>>>> Halo: Reach (campaign wise)

even with the burn in issue, halo 2 is still fucking awesome.

Caja 117

Halo 3 DLC implementation was fucking terrible. Locked out of most playlists if you don't buy these crappy maps. Yeah, I sure want to spend 10 bucks on Sandtrap 2.0 Forge version to get to play BTB again. Having to spend nearly $100 to get access to all the playlists? Terrible. Not again.

I think it was great, that filter made sure that the playlist I played had a bigger map rotation. Halo Reach doesnt have it, and we are stuck playing swordbase or an horrible forgeworld map 7 out of 10 times.

Kuroyume

Banned
Playing swordbase 7 out of 10 times should be a blessing. Maybe I'll dust off the 360 this weekend just for that. Good memories of Swordbase.

FyreWulff

You aren't going to get a ton of money doing that with a multiplayer game.

Well, Halo 2's was the best, but you're never going to see that again. I honestly had no problem being the big Halo fan and subsidizing the DLC for an exclusive period then the DLC being deployed for free + required afterwards.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Its easy. You/fracas say have the games played by xx/xx/xxxx and post the bracket. Then let's say Karl v. Wu is one of the matchups. Then we message each other with possible times. If there's no good times then you guys can either rematch the bracket or throw in alternates.

The way it's set up right now makes you a largely redundant step.

I've run or helped run a few tournaments... From FFA to BTB. In our current style, those running the tourny could provide a date each week for a round to be played. Give the team captains 7 days to get together. If a someone can't make it during that seven days, their team plays a man down or forfeits. Usually tournys in this style would allow teams of 5 or 6 to have alternates for scheduling conflicts. But they work fine without.

Edit: Posted the above from my phone so was brief, but back at computer:

So - post the bracket. Set one round per week. Official game time is Sunday, but the teams have 7 days to play their round (so through Saturday night at the end of the week). Make it the responsibility of the captains to get their teams together. This way there are only two people talking and deciding on the time, who are only in touch with their respective teams. If a team can't play with full roster because someone can't make the time, they play short or forfeit. Allow gentleman's agreements to play 3v3 if needed.

It works, and takes pressure off those running it.
Okay, that works for me. Thanks for laying it out, Risen. I might PM you for more advice later down the line, hah.

Let's go along with the already scheduled match, but put the rest of the scheduling on hold for now. I'm leaving for work in a few minutes and will be out of town over night, but you all can feel free to discuss things, and if possible, figure out the structure and finalize it. Good luck. If yall don't do it I'll take care of it when I get back into town tomorrow.

Caja 117

The worst with the DLC was Gears 3, the game was released having dedicated servers for Matchmaking, then after some months a mappack was realesed that if you didnt had that map pack, the game wouldnt conect you to the dedicated server and instead placed you on client-host matchmaking, making the game unplayable.

At least your gameplay in Halo isnt affected by the DLC you have.

GhaleonEB

Day 2 of Disneyland was fun, kids and parents exhausted. Posting from the hotel as the kids watch cartoons and rest up. Seaworld tomorrow, then a break, then back to Disneyland for one last day. The place largely lives up to the hype, well run and impressive in both scope and detail. Manufactured fun, but still very fun.

I see we're still civil warring over the tournament? Good luck all.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I was looking at old picture and I found this....
4806599c.jpg

First damn did I look fat before joining the army, second I miss E3:(
This is me now
d87aacb7.jpg

I still think people from different continents shouldn't have been placed together. Scheduling nightmare...

DLC should be required in majority of the playlists. If you're still playing a games MP a year or two after release, ten bucks for maps is nothing. I paid for all of these maps and they rarely show up in what I like to play.

Lol. I can't remember the last time I saw Slightly Live online. I've easly played more games with Fyrewulff and other US peeps.

Well, Halo 2's was the best, but you're never going to see that again. I honestly had no problem being the big Halo fan and subsidizing the DLC for an exclusive period then the DLC being deployed for free + required afterwards.

Map Pack 1A - 800 msp
- 3 new maps.
- Includes 10 new achievements, 1 new armor set, 5 new armor skins, 5 new weapon skins, 3 new Xbox avatar items/clothing. (Nothing that affects gameplay.)
Season Pass - 2000 msp (Free with Limited Edition)
- Includes map packs 1A, 2A, and 3A.

3 months later:

Map Pack 1B - Free
- The 3 new maps from 1A.
- No extras.
Bonus Pack 1 - 300 msp
- All the extras from Map Pack 1A.
Season Pass - Drops to 1500 msp

Repeat for map packs 2 and 3 (which would release a month or two after the previous pack is made free), with the Season Pass price dropping each time. (Once they're all free, the Season Pass is renamed Bonus Bundle and just has all of the achievement/armor extras for 800 msp.) If there is a Map Pack 4, it works the same way but is not included in the Season Pass.

Thoughts? I have no idea if this is financially viable as a business model, if the exclusivity period would need to be adjusted, etc. Just spitballing ideas.

Thoughts? I have no idea if this is financially viable as a business model, if the exclusivity period would need to be adjusted, etc. Just spitballing ideas.
I like it, but I doubt the extras would be so plentiful.

Do CoD or BF map packs go free? Because I have to wonder if it's an Accountant and some upper management going - "Well they don't, and are still hugely successful, we just need to be better about selling them, not making them go free after 3 months".

In the interests of the playerbase, this is what should happen, but I don't believe it will. 3 months might be too soon, I'd push it to 4/5.

Do CoD or BF map packs go free? Because I have to wonder if it's an Accountant and some upper management going - "Well they don't, and are still hugely successful, we just need to be better about selling them, not making them go free after 3 months".

In the interests of the playerbase, this is what should happen, but I don't believe it will. 3 months might be too soon, I'd push it to 4/5.

I think map packs continue bringing in enough money long after release that Microsoft is happy to keep charging for them. It's not best for players, in terms of splitting the population, but as long as the playerbase is healthy enough to keep population and thus DLC revenue up they don't have much motivation to give things away for free.

I was just wishfully thinking of a combination between the previous DLC model and Team Fortress 2's method of bringing back inactive players with free maps and gametypes while raking in a fortune on hats. (I guess some of that free TF2 content is community-created so the analogy isn't perfect.)

I think map packs continue bringing in enough money long after release that Microsoft is happy to keep charging for them. It's not best for players, in terms of splitting the population, but as long as the playerbase is healthy enough to keep population and thus DLC revenue up they don't have much motivation to give things away for free.

I was just wishfully thinking of a combination between the previous DLC model and Team Fortress 2's method of bringing back inactive players with free maps and gametypes while raking in a fortune on hats. (I guess some of that free TF2 content is community-created so the analogy isn't perfect.)
We are in complete agreement about the (sad) situation.

Risen

Well I never played with these guys before need to know who is a good sniper, who has a good dmr, who is aggressive, who is passive, and what role we should play.

No one is good with the sniper, none have a good dmr, all are aggressive, and you play the right role at the right time during the game.

Finished.

Takes practice seriously.
Will not commit to sobriety during practice.

EDIT:
Then double posts.

Come on juniors. Step up your game! Zoo Joos is carrying you with nothing but Dr. Who references. THOSE DON'T LAST FOREVER!

no, but call of duty only matches people who have the same map packs together. i got dlc maps to come up all the time in call of duty. since call of duty's population is so large this is viable.

and BF3's don't go free either. but bf3 has a server browser, there are lots of servers where you need the map packs to play on them.

both of these are pretty good systems for getting map packs into rotatation.

my favorite has to be Mass effect 3's though. there are like a couple hundred unlockable items. but you can only get them from random packs you buy with points earned from playing or microsoft points. people must be spending real money on the packs and this has made bioware give the DLC packs for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom