• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

a zoojoo

Banned
I made something for heckfu.
ibpdkwMTtk1Jub.jpg

daedalius

You giggled the entire time and you know it. It's ok... you can admit you had fun those two games. You died less than Nutter and in your only two MLG games you are 2-0 against HaloGAF-ers. Eternal bragging rights granted.

We can play MLG so much because it comes closer to letting us play as fast as we think. Bleed through, no bloom, faster movement speed... playing default Reach is like playing in chains, or an engine with a governor on it.

That was less me carrying and more me playing with Cichlid, whom I've played with for a decade, and who is a freak at video games. Putting me and Cichlid on the same team in that group of 8 was MM handing out auto-wins.

Can we just play customs all the time from now on?

I am so tired of matchmaking; awful teammates, awful settings/gametypes (2 flag slayer wat, Slayer on Countdown), etc.

Although I think I'd prefer 110% speed/sprint ZB rather than 125%/NS, as 125% feels a bit too skatey for me; but its either way really. I know Over will hate me.

Or maybe I'll just play Warhammer 40k 6th edition all the time until Halo 4 comes out.

Risen

Damn I gotta get in on those MLG parties.

Man I was going to send you an invite after the game we got locked into, before the MLG hotness... because we were 5 at the time and with you, I had two others to send invites to.

We got out and you were offline :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Man I was going to send you an invite after the game we got locked into, before the MLG hotness... because we were 5 at the time and with you, I had two others to send invites to.

We got out and you were offline :(

It's straight, I was playing with some old teammates.

Risen

It's straight, I was playing with some old teammates.

Point is... you DO need to get in on these. It's more fun getting slapped by and slapping friends than general match making kids.

Can we just play customs all the time from now on?

I am so tired of matchmaking; awful teammates, awful settings/gametypes

Truth

(2 flag slayer wat, Slayer on Countdown), etc.

2 Flag Slayer is GENIUS.

Although I think I'd prefer 110% speed/sprint ZB rather than 125%/NS, as 125% feels a bit too skatey for me; but its either way really. I know Over will hate me.

Or maybe I'll just play Warhammer 40k 6th edition all the time until Halo 4 comes out.

You're bad.

Akai__

I could make a montage about how bad Halo 3's netcode is. Playing MLG against americans with this connection and I still have a yellow bar ping and guys are shooting me through walls.

lol

Risen

I could make a montage about how bad Halo 3's netcode is. Playing MLG against americans with this connection and I still have a yellow bar ping and guys are shooting me through walls.

lol

You know distance still matters right? You can have all the bandwidth you want, but it takes time for information to travel halfway around the world... no matter the netcode.

cocamola

Banned

lol

I used to play Halo 3 on 2Mb Download. That was painful, no idea how I put up with people just sponging that much for 2 years. But now with 20DL/20UL I always pull host and it can be slightly enjoyable.

OverHeat

« generous god »
You know distance still matters right? You can have all the bandwidth you want, but it takes time for information to travel halfway around the world... no matter the netcode.
So true...Im getting my ass kick those days since I started playing with players from the US west coast. Still fun but Im sure Im gonna have to buy a new controller by the end of next week :p

Akai__

No matter the netcode? Of course it matters, in Halo Reach I never have laggs, still get sometimes shooted through walls, but it's way better.

Homeboyd

lol
Stop it!

The next 83747373758 pages will be filled with people posting their speedtest results.

a zoojoo

Banned
Let's not post download/upload speed again. :p

We should do an MLG Gaf night soon.

I agree, when i don't go into MLG as a random, my team always kicks ass.
doesn't happen too often though

I think the Halo 3 campaign is the most boring of the lot, bar the Legendary Ending.

I slightly agree, but there were a few couple epic parts to the campaign, like that final battle on The Covenant, and the Warthog Run at the end of Halo. Those were fun times.

Risen

No matter the netcode? Of course it matters, in Halo Reach I never have laggs, still get sometimes shooted through walls, but it's way better.

H3 BR had severe bullet travel time... Reach and the DMR is nowhere near the same thing. Couple that with better prediction software... and boom. Better experience.

I think you read what I typed wrong... netcode and amount of bandwidth does not change the fact that distance matters. Place a hit scan BR in H3 and I bet you have a much better experience playing Americans.

got my RTX badge in the mail. aw yeah
Tell Frankie I said hi.

Also birthdays suck. I have 0 Hype and feel like im getting nothing from anyone.
At least you're not a Hobbit, so there's that.

Speaking of Spiderman, that reboot was good. Really. REALLY.
Sweet, I was hoping for some good Spidey action finally.

Top notch production value, it's basically the spiderman version of arkham.
you talking in terms of how it looks, how it plays, or both?

I think the Halo 3 campaign is the most boring of the lot, bar the Legendary Ending.
Story-wise, maybe. In terms of gameplay, hell no. Playing it with Dax recently reminded me how much fun the campaign is to play; so many different ways to approach everything.

a zoojoo

Banned
It was pretty boring save for two levels. The final few levels were atrocious, and left a bad taste in my mouth.
The part that bugged me the most about Halo 3, is that 3/5 of the campaign took place on earth. I want my Halo to take me to the edges of the galaxy and to places that couldn't possibly exist. That's what bugged me about 3 and Reach, they felt bland to me. I am excluding ODST because the Noire atmosphere of the game made up for the setting.

Definitely. The fact that you're completely lost and don't know what's going on most of the time helps a lot

lol, Assault on the Control Room and The Library. Much rage came of that level. Anniversary made it prettier though and not as rage inducing.

Akai__

H3 BR had severe bullet travel time... Reach and the DMR is nowhere near the same thing. Couple that with better prediction software... and boom. Better experience.

I think you read what I typed wrong... netcode and amount of bandwidth does not change the fact that distance matters. Place a hit scan BR in H3 and I bet you have a much better experience playing Americans.

You are probably right, but I doubt it's only because of hitscan. There are other factors that are playing a huge role, too.

Edit:
Stop it!

The next 83747373758 pages will be filled with people posting their speedtest results.

Sorry, I didn't realize this. :(

Edit 2: If somebody wants to hop onto Halo 3 or Reach, add me. GT same as username.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Also, Kittens, is there tournament bracket somewhere online? Or did you really only show one match up? :/

There's no time table yet because out of all the scheduling feedback I've received, there's only ONE time when two teams' schedules match up. I'm working on getting some basic tournament info up on HaloGAF.com this weekend. I'll be adding more matches up on that page as they're scheduled.

Only showing one matchup. I think the way this is being done is pretty retarded. It seems so much easier to just let captains pick a time, but hey common sense and efficiency isn't the way of the world anymore.
You make it sound so easy. How do captains just magically pick a time that works for everyone? Cause I could use some of that magic right now.

Honestly, if we were to do this all over (which I totally want to do after Halo 4 comes out), there's a lot of things I'd do differently. I like Booties' suggestion:

Why aren't we just poop socking all this out one night at 8est?

Start by picking a day and seeing who's available, and THEN making teams from those available people. But for better or for worse, we picked teams first, which now makes scheduling much more difficult. So, either we power through the process we're in now, or hit the reset button on the tournament entirely, or use some of that magic captain clairvoyance Karl's talking about (but for reals Karl, if you have a process that you think would work better, I want to hear it).

FyreWulff

Yeah this, and more importantly playing on the maps we payed for consistently in other playlists.

I'll say it here, I was personally a fan of the Halo 3 DLC implementation.

I think everyone was a fan of the Halo 3 DLC implementation. Then Microsoft decided it was too well done so they had to shoot Reach in the knees.

Also, just got back from buying my first eyeglasses. Know how they give you that test with the 7 rows of letters? My left eye can only make out the top 2. Had no idea it was that bad.

70$ for two pairs.

Overdoziz

Banned
There's no time table yet because out of all the scheduling feedback I've received, there's only ONE time when two teams' schedules match up. I'm working on getting some basic tournament info up on HaloGAF.com this weekend. I'll be adding more matches up on that page as they're scheduled.

You make it sound so easy. How do captains just magically pick a time that works for everyone? Cause I could use some of that magic right now.

Honestly, if we were to do this all over (which I totally want to do after Halo 4 comes out), there's a lot of things I'd do differently. I like Booties' suggestion:

Start by picking a day and seeing who's available, and THEN making teams from those available people. But for better or for worse, we picked teams first, which now makes scheduling much more difficult. So, either we power through the process we're in now, or hit the reset button on the tournament entirely, or use some of that magic captain clairvoyance Karl's talking about (but for reals Karl, if you have a process that you think would work better, I want to hear it).
"Hey guys, here are the match-ups, you gotta play against each other before this deadline, if the match doesn't happen a coin-flip will decide the outcome. Go figure it out"

Done.

Also, this is why I thought a 4v4 tournament wouldn't work. Way too many people that have to get online at the same time.

Ramirez

I feel like the only way you would ever have this work is people pick their own teams and make a flex schedule. It wouldn't be single elimination, you would need to come up with a point system or something. Hyper lives in Germany, I don't see me and him being on at the same time for this. You might also want to look into doing seperate US/Euro comps and then the best from each region could play in the final.

Caja 117

You are probably right, but I doubt it's only because of hitscan. There are other factors that are playing a huge role, too.

I do find that bandwidth plays a much bigger role in Reach than it does with Halo 3, I felt that bloom behaved different when you are host than when you are offhost.

JonCha

Why don't we just communicate within our teams, agree on a time, post the best days for us and work something out. Someone's going to have to give some leeway if we want to get this thing sorted in a decent time.

Kuroyume

Banned
Halo 3 DLC implementation was fucking terrible. Locked out of most playlists if you don't buy these crappy maps. Yeah, I sure want to spend 10 bucks on Sandtrap 2.0 Forge version to get to play BTB again. Having to spend nearly $100 to get access to all the playlists? Terrible. Not again.

I don't know what's the solution other than a games/server list. Apparently that's way too above people's heads. Way too complicated even though these same people can operate computers and smartphones and other technologies. Oh games/server list... That's like fucking rocket science to some.

Karl2177

Its easy. You/fracas say have the games played by xx/xx/xxxx and post the bracket. Then let's say Karl v. Wu is one of the matchups. Then we message each other with possible times. If there's no good times then you guys can either rematch the bracket or throw in alternates.

The way it's set up right now makes you a largely redundant step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom