• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, but call of duty only matches people who have the same map packs together. i got dlc maps to come up all the time in call of duty. since call of duty's population is so large this is viable.

and BF3's don't go free either. but bf3 has a server browser, there are lots of servers where you need the map packs to play on them.

both of these are pretty good systems for getting map packs into rotatation.

my favorite has to be Mass effect 3's though. there are like a couple hundred unlockable items. but you can only get them from random packs you buy with points earned from playing or microsoft points. people must be spending real money on the packs and this has made bioware give the DLC packs for free.

Unlock the BR early, only 160 Allards! Limited time offer!

CyReN

We have learned Risen/Wu Dream-Team Strats now.

RAUpy.gif

well, it wouldn't really work with weapons in halo. halo has a limited weapon set compared to Me3. but i could imagine unlocking aesthetic items like armor, skins, weapon skins, etc.

I actually think having this type of game mechanic would work well with Spartan Ops. Sort of having these packages that you buy with your earned credits. Things like modifiers, like skulls, or what not, would be kinda cool, and a fun way to spend CR to change the way the game is played.

My god, after leaving on vacation over a week ago and getting back Monday night, I have finally fully caught up to this thread.. I would have done so way earlier, but I have had a busy week, fishing, hiking and working. Anyways, I few things that stuck out-

Going to have to put DemonCarnotaur down to an alternate. Buddermilk's in now.

If anyone doesn't think they can make it, now is the time to tell me.

NooooooooOOOoooooo!! =(

Well actually I knew that already, and I totally get it, man I wish I had internet access out where I was, haha. Ah well, there is always next time..or I suppose if someone drops out maybe I can get back in.

I've been sniped by a Knight and I have thrown an orange grenade, which I assumed was a Promethean grenade.

Unfortunately I was expecting to throw a frag. I threw it into the distance so I never got to see it explode. I only ever encountered it once during my 3 play throughs of spops. So I'm not sure if it was a bug or actual content that wasn't supposed to be available in the e3 build. I told 343 staff about it and some gave me a strange look and said it was a bug and others said it was a surprise.

On legendary the Knight sniper killed me with one shot, multiple times. That bastard!

Legendary at e3 was tweaked to be a little easier so I expect Knights to be even more of a pain in the ass, though in a good way.

I thought these both were pretty crazy, I mean I think we all knew a Promethean grenade was on its way, but its great to have confirmation! Also, you were sniped by the Prometheans? I suppose that one mystery gun is a sniper then.. Awesome.

Speaking of weapons, Im still bummed by only 10 new weapons and extremely bummed by only 2 new vehicles.. I hope that thing that looked like an elephant counts as a returning vehicle, cause I want to be surprised.

Well first the enemy's. The Prometheans just look pretty stupid in my opinion, like some cross between Lego Bionic and this guy. Not very original and interesting to look at at all. Didn't they also say they removed the english VA from covie forces? I always love the little grunts screaming cool shit at me. Did they lose the ability to speak english? Is the translator node in Master Chief's suit broken?

episode_3_general_grievous_lightsabers.jpg

The new weapons don't look cool or original at all. Sure they have space between them and aren't pieced together like human or covie weapons but still they look very bland.

Some other minor stuff like the crosshair looking way off when you shoot it and almost no recoil on the DMR or BR ( whatever was used in the E3 demo ).

Then you have the multi.. omg let's not begin there. Random weapon spawns, getting bonusses when you are on a hot streak ( like powering up your weapon after a few kills which gives you more damage < WTF ) Promethean vision etc.... Too many things to harp on but these seem pretty important to me.

You know, I thought the Prometheans should have more of a Ivory color than the grey.. I bet the reason why they don't is due to General Grievous. =P

I disagree about the new weapons not looking good, I think they look fantastic! On the flip side, they all look far too similar and I hope they may ditch the grey color and move towards a polished ivory look, or maybe a deep onyx at times.

FyreWulff

False start. 10 yard penalty. Repeat first down.

Only 100,000cR to go to buy Pestilence. Then waiting another 2,000,000cR to buy Thundershoulders.

Definitely. The fact that you're completely lost and don't know what's going on most of the time helps a lot

Wait what?

Map Pack 1A - 800 msp
- 3 new maps.
- Includes 10 new achievements, 1 new armor set, 5 new armor skins, 5 new weapon skins, 3 new Xbox avatar items/clothing. (Nothing that affects gameplay.)
Season Pass - 2000 msp (Free with Limited Edition)
- Includes map packs 1A, 2A, and 3A.

3 months later:

Map Pack 1B - Free
- The 3 new maps from 1A.
- No extras.
Bonus Pack 1 - 300 msp
- All the extras from Map Pack 1A.
Season Pass - Drops to 1500 msp

Repeat for map packs 2 and 3 (which would release a month or two after the previous pack is made free), with the Season Pass price dropping each time. (Once they're all free, the Season Pass is renamed Bonus Bundle and just has all of the achievement/armor extras for 800 msp.) If there is a Map Pack 4, it works the same way but is not included in the Season Pass.

Thoughts? I have no idea if this is financially viable as a business model, if the exclusivity period would need to be adjusted, etc. Just spitballing ideas.

Sounds good to me.

no, but call of duty only matches people who have the same map packs together. i got dlc maps to come up all the time in call of duty. since call of duty's population is so large this is viable.

and BF3's don't go free either. but bf3 has a server browser, there are lots of servers where you need the map packs to play on them.

both of these are pretty good systems for getting map packs into rotatation.

Except that the majority of the playlists in COD have quite low populations, and somehow the filter still works almost every time. This must mean that the number of people that buy DLC for COD has to be much higher than in Halo, and with good reason. If you buy the maps, you are guaranteed to play them, leading to more people being willing to drop money for them because they will at least get to play them, unlike Halo where as you see in this thread, most of us feel you can't honestly recommend the DLC packs (outside of Anni) because they are not a part of MM.

Gui_PT

Wait what?

Sense of mystery?

You don't know where you are, who built it, why it was built, how it was built, what happened to whoever built it, who 343GS is and what his job is. He fools you for like 2 levels while you think you're helping him.
You don't know what your enemy is and why it's there.

Did you play the game, breh?

Sense of mystery?

You don't know where you are, who built it, why it was built, how it was built, what happened to whoever built it, who 343GS is and what his job is. He fools you for like 2 levels while you think you're helping him.
You don't know what your enemy is and why it's there.

Did you play the game, breh?

Haha yes, I thought you meant that you couldn't navigate the levels, from a gameplay perspective.

Map Pack 1A - 800 msp
- 3 new maps.
- Includes 10 new achievements, 1 new armor set, 5 new armor skins, 5 new weapon skins, 3 new Xbox avatar items/clothing. (Nothing that affects gameplay.)

3 months later:

Map Pack 1B - Free
- No extras.
Bonus Pack 1 - 300 msp

Repeat for map packs 2 and 3 (which would release a month or two after the previous pack is made free), with the Season Pass price dropping each time. (Once they're all free, the Season Pass is renamed Bonus Bundle and just has all of the achievement/armor extras for 800 msp.) If there is a Map Pack 4, it works the same way but is not included in the Season Pass.

Thoughts? I have no idea if this is financially viable as a business model, if the exclusivity period would need to be adjusted, etc. Just spitballing ideas.

I missed this on the last page. This makes sense to me. I'm also completely OK with just buying the Limited Edition right off the bat.

Longbow is an amazing looking map. I can't wait to actually play it. I think so far 343i appears to have created excellent looking levels. Even Adrift looks nice for an indoor space station level. Longbow and Haven though are both really sexy. I also like that lava area in Spartan Ops.

Except that the majority of the playlists in COD have quite low populations, and somehow the filter still works almost every time. This must mean that the number of people that buy DLC for COD has to be much higher than in Halo, and with good reason. If you buy the maps, you are guaranteed to play them, leading to more people being willing to drop money for them because they will at least get to play them, unlike Halo where as you see in this thread, most of us feel you can't honestly recommend the DLC packs (outside of Anni) because they are not a part of MM.

hmmm, now that i think about it you are right. maybe they have a weighting system. like players with the map packs are more likely to play with other people with the map packs.

halo does it pretty stupidly. it matches you by skill level (lol), puts you into a lobby and then checks for DLC. (not 100% sure it works like this, but i certainly seems like it.)

it should be the other way around. search for others with map pack, narrow down for skill level, put players in lobby.

also, they could have filters, in case you want to match by skill first, get in a lobby faster, etc.

Tawpgun

Map Pack 1A - 800 msp
- 3 new maps.

3 months later:

Map Pack 1B - Free
- No extras.
Bonus Pack 1 - 300 msp

Makes too much sense, paints company in too good a a light, too nice for the customer.

Would never work in this day and age.

hmmm, now that i think about it you are right. maybe they have a weighting system. like players with the map packs are more likely to play with other people with the map packs.

halo does it pretty stupidly. it matches you by skill level (lol), puts you into a lobby and then checks for DLC. (not 100% sure it works like this, but i certainly seems like it.)

it should be the other way around. search for others with map pack, narrow down for skill level, put players in lobby.

Halo 3 checked for DLC after the lobby was already put together, Reach checks first, the same way COD does. 343 has even claimed tuning the MM weighting importance of DLC matching way up, but it still doesn't work, so unless that MM algorithm is just shit, very few people actually have the DLC.

Xand said something that gave me nerd chills, we were discussin the upcoming reveal of the director of the forward unto dawn series, and he say's:

"What if it's Blomkamp?"

There less 1 percent chance that it will be though, gorramit

Halo 3 checked for DLC after the lobby was already put together, Reach checks first, the same way COD does. 343 has even claimed tuning the MM weighting importance of DLC matching way up, but it still doesn't work, so unless that MM algorithm is just shit, very few people actually have the DLC.

which is strange cause i got dlc maps all the time in halo 3, even before the ODST disc came out. but in reach, i'm more likely to be eaten by a shark in Nevada, than i am to get the DLC maps.

halo 3 also required DLC maps for double EXP weekends. never underestimate a gamers need to fill bars up faster.

I personally like the new skybox for Longbow.

While Im not a huge fan of it now, I do think it looks pretty cool in this shot:

Still, I liked the contrast before of the snowy blues and the deep spacey sky, with the clouds breaking it up. It looked really mysterious and alien. Its a lot more plain looking now, at least IMO from the little we have seen.

Forge now allows you to change the time of day and weather conditions?

If only. Oh god I would be in love.

Too bad that never made the cut for Reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom