• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveIce

Banned
Dear HaloGaf, I can't believe my account got validated.

Will start with the junior member survey, but first I have to tell funny information..
or not so funny at all
. I think I played some costum with some of you before, Elzar for sure.

so the survey:

How long have you been a member of NeoGAF? How long have you lurked?
Like I said I just got activated. I've been lurking since 2009.
How old are you? What country or state are you posting from? (Optional)
I'm 20 years old and live in Germany
How long have you been a Halo fan? Have you played all the games?
Since Halo:CE, yes I played all Halo games.
What mode do you spend most of your time in?
Multiplayer, even if it hurts in Reach :(

What is your favorite playlist?
Hard question, the best settings are in MLG, but teamed up with randoms I don't stand a chance there.

Help us get to know you better. (Optional)
Yeah my GT is Dedoubleyou and I'm open for Halo 3 and Reach most of the day.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'll do my best, but what time are you thinking? I have to be up at 6:15 tomorrow morning.

Haha, may scrap tonight. Probably going to go a friend's place for LAN. What time's good for you this weekend? I only work a four hour shift tomorrow from 6:30-10:30 pm (CST). I'm totally free on Sunday.

It has nothing to do with the mode personally, the maps just really are not that good. Boneyard is somewhat passable but nothing of note and Spire is just plain awful.

here, imagine if halo: reach was the first halo game.
oh god

you have a whole bunch of shitty maps, but one or two are slightly less shitty. lets say for example zealot and powerhouse. since this is the first halo game, zealot and powerhouse would be the best halo maps. because there is nothing to compare it to. i cant say halo 3's the pit is better, because it doesn't exist in this scenario.

so with invasion you have got 3 invasion maps. i cant really say any one is better than the others (imo). so i can easily say these three maps are the best invasion maps, because no other invasion maps exist currently. (besides forge, but they are just ok as well)

If you ask me, I think Longbow would look better if it has less exposed soil and more snow. Nice, lushes bright white snow. Not that it looks bad now, but more snow would complete the look IMO.

And the old skybox, but I seem to be alone in thinking that.

The H3 Beta version of Snowbound had a similar symbol engraved on its moon, which was removed in the final game for whatever reason. I always assumed it translated to "Cool Forerunner Thing."

Huh. You mean this one?
H3_MPAlpha_SnowboundCarnage.jpg
(Best picture I could find).
I didn't remember that; interesting.

Risen

Sometimes I don't realize how lucky I am to live in Canada.

The actual quote from the document is:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Point being they oppose programs that have the purpose of challenging a student's fixed beliefs and undermine parental authority. It's not an opposition of the teaching of ALL HOTS or critical thinking skills, but those with a specific purpose.

Extension of the point is that it's up to the individual, i.e. parents to decide what is best for their children, not the state or federal government, and if an impressionable child has a fixed belief system, it is not the government's place to push an agenda on the child. It certainly isn't better for the child and simply replaces one doctrine for another... and the government has no place instilling doctrine in children, certainly not a greater place than the parent.

It's about the purpose behind the program, not the program itself.

Agree with that or not... that's the reasoning behind the statement, not "let's keep people stupid" as folks seem to say in that thread.

daedalius

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Point being they oppose programs that have the purpose of challenging a student's fixed beliefs and undermine parental authority. It's not an opposition of the teaching of ALL HOTS or critical thinking skills, but those with a specific purpose.

Extension of the point is that it's up to the individual, i.e. parents to decide what is best for their children, not the state or federal government, and if an impressionable child has a fixed belief system, it is not the government's place to push an agenda on the child. It certainly isn't better for the child and simply replaces one doctrine for another... and the government has no place instilling doctrine in children, certainly not a greater place than the parent.

Agree with that or not... that's the reasoning behind the statement, not "let's keep people stupid" as folks seem to say in that thread.

But its Texas.

From that you can extrapolate exactly what is behind their thinking.

Havok

Huh. You mean this one?

(Best picture I could find).
I didn't remember that; interesting.
Yep, that's the one. Definitely not as obvious or pronounced as Longbow's, though. Less like the symbol on the Ark that you posted, more like the brief shot of Requiem we got at the end of H3.

heckfu

Banned

Will start with the junior member survey, but first I have to tell funny information..
or not so funny at all

so the survey:

Hard question, the best settings are in MLG, but teamed up with randoms I don't stand a chance there.

Yeah I recognize your gamertag, absolutely. Welcome aboard!

or not so funny at all

so the survey:

Well, hello thar.

a zoojoo

Banned

or not so funny at all

so the survey:

One question. Pre or Post Lemon Avatar Plywood?

Risen

Hey, I don't live in Texas :p

I just happen to travel there frequently; and will probably live in Austin in the future.

The "we" was for me and actual Texans, not you and me nerdus. Contrary to what most of that thread thinks, and all joking aside, it's actually a pretty great state to live in.

Economy is much more stable than most the country, no state income tax, affordable property values for both housing and land making your dollar go a long way, good infrastructure, and more liberty in day to day living than most states.

These are good things... red or blue.

BigShow36

Disqualified for using logic and understanding in a political discussion. Better luck next time; maybe try more hyperbole, hypocrisy, or just plain stupidity.

It has nothing to do with the mode personally, the maps just really are not that good. Boneyard is somewhat passable but nothing of note and Spire is just plain awful.
Nah, Boneyard and Spire are flawless invasion maps since they pretty much perfectly suit the gametype. Spire has a single exploit which is the elite's spawn banshee-bombing shit.

Breakpoint is the best invasion map imo.

Risen

Disqualified for using logic and understanding in a political discussion. Better luck next time; maybe try more hyperbole, hypocrisy, or just plain stupidity.

It's why I make both the Republican AND Democrat side of my family angry to the point they refuse to discuss politics.

daedalius

It's why I make both the Republican AND Democrat side of my family angry to the point they refuse to discuss politics.

You should tell them they shouldn't be picking 'teams' in the first place, it ain't football.

Texas is alright, and no crazier than Kansas.

Also Halo (I would play but I'm still at work)

Gui_PT

Good games guys. Sorry but I haven't played MM in months

And sorry Xand but I was playing/taking care of my nephew when you sent the invite. You had left when I joined

Retro

You may say I'm a dreamer...

If only. Oh god I would be in love.

... but I'm not the only one. Actually, if they remove Forgeworld (which, at this point, I think we can all agree was a neat idea but somewhat flawed in execution, especially when it came to frame rate), this seems like a nice substitution to give Forge some variety in terms of setting. I'm realistic enough to know we're not getting terrain editing, but we can at least have a variety of locations to build in.

Awesome tag! Finally, a funny German. Who knew?

Really? How could you not see that happening?
I'm a fucking terrible person and I'm so sorry IHaveIce, but it was too good to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom