• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Man

Banned
image.php

You missed last page :p
scary-slenderman-o.gif

Havok

Oie should i play Halo 1 on Heroic difficulty? I'm taking the mindset that if i play on a harder difficulty it should train me up faster for online since i have missed the past 11 years of Halo.
Heroic's definitely the way to play it (and the rest of the games, really). Halo 1 is a fairly easy game, all told, you shouldn't have too much difficulty with the majority of the game.
Campaign doesn't train for multiplayer at all [snip]
I don't know that I'd go that far. You don't get a feel for how other players behave, but you do get a sense of how your movement works in the world and an introduction to the weapon niches. Heck, I played 2 years of nothing but Halo CE Campaign and it made me a good player online immediately because I knew exactly how the game felt, if not specific mechanics.

I really wish that Halo devs would tutorialize people better and prepare them for what multiplayer actually is, not just their ideal 'every part of the sandbox is perfectly balanced' vision. Halo has gotten so much more complex since that first game, I don't think that a five or six hour campaign is enough to actually teach a brand new player what they need to know in this brave new trueskill-less world. Have a training section there similar to how modern fighting games do, at least the ones that do it right, that teach new players what the use cases are for each weapon. Now it's basically an old Street Fighter machine with all the art worn off, new players come in and just do the equivalent of button mashing by AR rushing. Have a popup during the training mode that explains what weapons are considered to be utility weapons and why you should be picking them up and trying to be better with them. Also, for the love of Pete, explain how gametypes work. The number of randoms I've seen that don't know how Stockpile works is hilarious. Don't make any of it mandatory, just explain mechanics and give them context.

Card Boy

Banned
Campaign doesn't train for multiplayer at all, BUT Heroic is the best all around difficulty to play on. Gets you the best of the AI play without being as annoying as Legendary.

Heroic's definitely the way to play it (and the rest of the games, really). Halo 1 is a fairly easy game, all told, you shouldn't have too much difficulty with the majority of the game.
Cool heroic it is then. I'm playing Gears of War 1 on Hardcore at the moment, so i will play it after than. I think i have 2 or 3 more acts to go in that.

I don't know that I'd go that far. You don't get a feel for how other players behave, but you do get a sense of how your movement works in the world and an introduction to the weapon niches. Heck, I played 2 years of nothing but Halo CE Campaign and it made me a good player online immediately because I knew exactly how the game felt, if not specific mechanics.

This is what i meant. I don't know what the weapons do and don't understand alot of the movement mechanics in Halo yet. Also aiming from the hip on a console game takes abit of getting used to.

Computron

Holy shit, wait. Is that in-engine picture completely native or does it have post-processing/post-photo manipulation? If the former, daaaaaamn.

Both. Now-a-days Cryengine can do a lot in the way of post processing in real-time.

He's not manipulating the photo as in compositing real life photos into the scene though, if thats what your asking.

Both. Now-a-days Cryengine can do a lot in the way of post processing in real-time.

He's not manipulating the photo as in compositing real life photos into the scene though, if thats what your asking.

Yeah, I was mostly asking about some of the things like the reflections and that "frosty" effect some of the lights are giving off. Crazy!

So... Anyone know who my team captain is? I haven't heard shit about scheduling. I need to PM someone. At work at the moment. Can't see spread sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom