• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey FyreWulf, would this work for your LAN problem? Get all the xboxes to be used in the LAN, and find an Internet connection. Have someone with a gold account recover it on each Xbox. Boot up reach, download the TU and any gametypes/map variants needed to hard drive. After that, they all should be good to be used offline in the LAN, right?

No NDA for the first phase. We'll have some other smallish stuff for everyone else, too. Smallish, but hopefully fun stuff. Def no need to lose any sleep, or to start the countdown clock running on DBO, though.
Cool, thanks.

I wouldn't worry about any countdown clocks. I got rid of my computer about a year ago after a disagreement.

Fracas

#fuckonami
doesn't their round start next week... only other team playing this week would be Karl v Trey?

I had to dissolve a team, so Karl and Trey aren't playing each other. This slate of games is taking place this week, by Sunday at 11:59 CST.

Havok

Given how integral matchmaking is to the longevity of each Halo game, and how divisive changes are among the community, I think a separate matchmaking blog in Waypoint could go a long way. I'm thinking of a less dense version of what OKCupid or Valve does ie http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/your-race-affects-whether-people-write-you-back/ or http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/economics/arbitrage-and-equilibrium-in-the-team-fortress-2-economy/

Have updates on what is being worked on, get feedback from the community, show some metrics and statistical data, etc. Right now, matchmaking news is wedged into a short paragraph beneath a mountain of grunt pictures, which favors nobody.
I agree with this entirely. People bitch and moan about playlist changes as hard as they do partly because they're done facelessly and without any forward-facing reasoning (Over's Squad Slayer tweet count must be in the triple digits by now, half of them just asking "why?"). Blizzard has pretty massive balance posts on their site with major patches, and it helps that the super hardcore people who are going to complain no matter what are at least able to be specific about why their views don't jive with the developers'. Look at how Anniversary Classic has Snipers in it when every single online multiplayer Halo title has tried to lump it in with Slayer until people bitched to high heaven and it got split off (I can only hope that their War Games 'streamlined hopper experience' doesn't mean that mistake gets made again). If I didn't read David's post here last year that said that it was included because they wanted to introduce variety into the playlist, I'd probably be complaining about it to this day. I still don't agree with their philosophy, but at least I understand what they were going for.

It's one of the reasons I liked having Shishka around here, before the attacks became as severe as they did. He was pretty good about explaining why he did things, even if people didn't like the decisions. Having a more comprehensive, formalized version of what he did here or what Jeremiah did at bnet is a really attractive idea to me. You don't even need to expose that team's identity, just a post with a byline from the Halo Matchmaking Team would do wonders for me.

Akai__

Tell me more

I don't know what to tell you. You have to be there once, to experience it by yourself.

GG guys, except for the one game in which everybody got mad and started to betray The Little Moa. :p

Also, kind of awesome scenrario on a Defiant map, in which we got the achievment, because the enemy boarded a Mongoose instead of touching the flag in the last second. AWESOME. :D

IHaveIce

Banned
LoL good games with CrazY Croatia, he had to carry me a little in Super Slayer but man we just played a 1 Flag Game on Highlands.

Both of us needed the achievement that the Enemy Team aren't allowed to touch the flag in the whole game.

So last round, I put a mongoose over the flag. In the last second someone rushes our base and tries to steal the flag but got on the mongoose.. BIPBOPBLAM time over we got the achievement cause of the mongoose.

Louis Wu

Hi all; first post! Would anyone be willing to make me an avatar of the wolf from the Neverending Story? If so, many thanks!

nes_wolf.jpg

No NDA for the first phase. We'll have some other smallish stuff for everyone else, too. Smallish, but hopefully fun stuff. Def no need to lose any sleep, or to start the countdown clock running on DBO, though.
COUNTDOWN CLOCK ENGAGED!

I get it. No countdown clock. I hate those things anyway.

Guess mon capitan better get together with Barrow and set a time then, so I can skin me a wolf coat... winter's coming.
BARROW ROLL! When is your team ready to get rumbled?

COUNTDOWN CLOCK ENGAGED!

I get it. No countdown clock. I hate those things anyway.
Countdown clocks and Bungie Day?

What could go wrong?

I agree with this entirely. People bitch and moan about playlist changes as hard as they do partly because they're done facelessly and without any forward-facing reasoning (Over's Squad Slayer tweet count must be in the triple digits by now, half of them just asking "why?"). Blizzard has pretty massive balance posts on their site with major patches, and it helps that the super hardcore people who are going to complain no matter what are at least able to be specific about why their views don't jive with the developers'. Look at how Anniversary Classic has Snipers in it when every single online multiplayer Halo title has tried to lump it in with Slayer until people bitched to high heaven and it got split off (I can only hope that their War Games 'streamlined hopper experience' doesn't mean that mistake gets made again). If I didn't read David's post here last year that said that it was included because they wanted to introduce variety into the playlist, I'd probably be complaining about it to this day. I still don't agree with their philosophy, but at least I understand what they were going for.

It's one of the reasons I liked having Shishka around here, before the attacks became as severe as they did. He was pretty good about explaining why he did things, even if people didn't like the decisions. Having a more comprehensive, formalized version of what he did here or what Jeremiah did at bnet is a really attractive idea to me. You don't even need to expose that team's identity, just a post with a byline from the Halo Matchmaking Team would do wonders for me.
kylej & Havok completely, 100% in the right. Making matchmaking a more transparent dialogue and big singular component of the Waypoint experience would be gr... should be done.

kylej

Banned
Booties and myself are around tonight. I pmed my other teammates. I dunno when Elzar can play.

I can play every night this week.

Overdoziz

Banned

At least 343 can't make the mistake of making us spawn with short-range weapons on BTB maps like Bungie did three games in a row.

CyReN

When does team Hydranockz+Zalinkrow+Slightly Live+Fyrewulff want to play Plywood backpack and friends? I'll be gone tomorrow but besides that I'm pretty open.

Booties and myself are around tonight. I pmed my other teammates. I dunno when Elzar can play.

I can play every night this week.

Tomorrow Kyle?

I'll get in touch with my teammates, or if you're reading this Neo, Imperial, Henery.

Tomorrow good, 10. 45 pm? (Which would be in 2.45 hours from now).

kylej

Banned
Tomorrow Kyle?

I'll get in touch with my teammates, or if you're reading this Neo, Imperial, Henery.

Tomorrow good, 10. 45 pm? (Which would be in 2.45 hours from now).

If we do earlier tomorrow it might be easier for Americans and Europeans. Most people in the US will probably be heading out tomorrow afternoon/night for 4th of July so we might be able to squeeze it in around noon EST or so. Sanjuro/Demon/Booties lemme know.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
At the risk of sounding like a dick, how does keeping the Needle Rifle in the TU playlists fit into this? IIRC it was Shishka who pointed out, after the auto-headshots were found at HaloFest on reduced bloom game types, that it was not appropriate to have the weapon on those game types in matchmaking. But they're still there.

We never saw a statically noticeable increase in the number of needle rifle kills in TU gametypes. So rather than stifle the sandbox, the Nerfle was left on maps.

tl;dr

The Needle Rifle post-TU was not necessarily the destroyer of worlds some feared.

heckfu

Banned
We never saw a statically noticeable increase in the number of needle rifle kills in TU gametypes. So rather than stifle the sandbox, the Nerfle was left on maps.

tl;dr

The Needle Rifle post-TU was not necessarily the destroyer of worlds some feared.

There's one playlist is doesn't affect anymore. And that's Squad Slayer.

Good riddance, am I right?

i'm totally kidding. i'm just so bored at work :(

Karl2177

How far behind/ahead is Krispy's time?

I'm from the future. Just forfeit now. It'll be easier. /eslim

Right now it is 9:40pm on the 3rd of July.

When he posted that it was 4:40 am on the 3rd of July for me. So he's 17 hours ahead of me/Sai, and 16 hours ahead of EST. My best time is at night around 8pm-whenever on weekends, so he would be 1pm-ish. Does Friday at 10pm CST sound good for everyone?

Code:
July 6 | 10pm | CST
July 6 | 11pm | EST
July 7 | 03pm | NZST

Vire

Question for the crew at 343.

Does the 8GB install include Spartan Ops? Or should I go get a bigger HD now? :(

Fracas

#fuckonami
When he posted that it was 4:40 am on the 3rd of July for me. So he's 17 hours ahead of me/Sai, and 16 hours ahead of EST. My best time is at night around 8pm-whenever on weekends, so he would be 1pm-ish. Does Friday at 10pm CST sound good for everyone?

Code:
July 6 | 10pm | CST
July 6 | 11pm | EST
July 7 | 03pm | NZST

I'm not sure of my work schedule. I don't think I work Friday, but let me make sure first. If I do have work, I won't be available until 10:45 CST. Still seems like we could play that day though.

Havok

At least 343 can't make the mistake of making us spawn with short-range weapons on BTB maps like Bungie did three games in a row.
I will take this as a dare! Thanks Over!
This is a good chance to ask something that has probably been asked before: Plasma Pistol secondaries possible in BTB loadouts?

Saw the EMP effect in one of the videos, it could be ridiculous if unregulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom