• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gui_PT

Why in God's name would anyone want that awful game back?

tumblr_ldf09uIcex1qa9yvvo1_500.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami
Whoever's making the new OT (Ghaleon?), would you mind including a bit about the tourney? I can PM all links/relevant information.

I'm double posting but with the rate these juniors post at there will most likely be five replies between my last and this one.

Can we have a HaloGAF Wall of Shame? I nominate J10 as the first one on the wall.

Edit: There were exactly five posts. Look at that.

FyreWulff

Hey FyreWulf, would this work for your LAN problem? Get all the xboxes to be used in the LAN, and find an Internet connection. Have someone with a gold account recover it on each Xbox. Boot up reach, download the TU and any gametypes/map variants needed to hard drive. After that, they all should be good to be used offline in the LAN, right?

We're not allowed to bring our own networked devices and attach 360s to them at PAX. One of the things we floated was actually having the Halo Freeplay room all go into BTB and play matchmaking against randoms, but we weren't allowed to connect them online.

This is an (rendered) actual game film from PAX Halo Freeplay 2008, Unfortunately it was the only film that survived :(

Once I land in Canada, my next test will be to see if I can buy a bunch of flash drives, and start up Reach on each one, get the TU, and then have it work over LAN with each other with the flash drives not being on the box that downloaded the TU. If that works then Halo Freeplay will be 1.1 with Reach disc maps and whatever community 4-split maps I can locate.

So what exactly happened and why didnt you deposit the resulting GAFbux in exchang for a .maps GAF username subtitle or GAF-Gold?

I made a prediction on what could be changed in the Reach title update based on what was known of the Halo engine at the time. Since I incorrectly assumed 343 had any similarities to Bungie, I knew at the time that there was no way to change bloom without breaking compatibility. I assumed at the time that they'd treat LAN the same way Bungie did, which was with inter-version compatibility.

So the two situations I had in my mind:

1) They'd only patch stuff that the host could change. Bloom would not be one of them.

2) They'd change bloom, but to keep compatibility they'd issue a download. the "6GB file" was actually a quote from a Bungie employee that I repeated. Either way, if you were to do Reach's TU AND maintain compatibility, you'd need to ship a copy of the new .maps to sit alongside the old one. Then when you'd selected a new version, it'd load that, but if the host was on an old version, it'd load the old .map. In a way this would have been the Halo 4 situation, where Reach would have required ~8GB of HDD space. The reason the number was so quoted at the time was the new armor that was shown, which would absolutely require every single map in Reach (Campaign, Firefight, Multiplayer) to be updated so that it could actually load the new armor.

In fact, to change bloom and add new armor, option 2 was the ONLY way to maintain compatibility.

343 took wildcard option 3) Do something that 1.0 clients wouldn't be able to understand and provide no compatibility path for 1.0 <-> 1.1 interplay that existed in Halo 2 and Halo 3. And this definitely was a surprise for more than just me. Other people around here that screw around with the engine thought it'd be option 2.

Cue a year of shitty .map jokes and the fact that Halo 4 will now actually have you install 8GB of .maps to play. Oh how the fates change.

We never saw a statically noticeable increase in the number of needle rifle kills in TU gametypes. So rather than stifle the sandbox, the Nerfle was left on maps.

tl;dr

The Needle Rifle post-TU was not necessarily the destroyer of worlds some feared.

Was this the same telemetry that told 343 it was a good idea to include a Banshee on new DLC maps after people had repeatedly proven the Banshee was hilariously broken?

Does anyone actually use the Banshee's normal guns for kills in matchmaking?

I'm double posting but with the rate these juniors post at there will most likely be five replies between my last and this one.

Can we have a HaloGAF Wall of Shame? I nominate J10 as the first one on the wall.

J10 on the Wall of Shame? I would place him in the Hall of Legends.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't see why Ghaleon can't do it. I think he said today he'd be back home tomorrow. But just in case, you can send me the necessary paperwork.

Alright, thanks. I'll PM you stuff when I get of work in about 6 hours. I don't think we'll hit 20k by then.

TheOddOne

Wall of shame:
1. J10
2. TheOddOne
3. ElzarTheBum
4. TheOddOne
5. ElzarTheBum

On the subject of this thread itself, I'll say that it moves so fast even I don't read through it all anymore. And there are so many people it's hard to remember who all the new people are.

JHall

Horrible net-code.
Awful bullet spread.
Nerfed utility weapons.
Bad linear aggressive maps.
Choppy aiming system.
Rockets that have the explosion radius of a pineapple.
Jumping is more effective than strafing.

Need anymore examples why Halo 3 is bad?

Horrible net-code.
Awful bullet spread.
Nerfed utility weapons.
Choppy aiming system.

I agree with those, but I still like H3.
Except the map part.

IHaveIce

Banned

and none of the five was a junior. Look at that.

nominate J10 too.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Horrible net-code.
Awful bullet spread.
Nerfed utility weapons.
Choppy aiming system.

Yeah man, Halo: Reach is much better. Dat Sword Base.

Horrible net-code.
Awful bullet spread.
Nerfed utility weapons.
Choppy aiming system.

Dont forget shitty framerate.

H3 sucked a fat one.

I dont like change, I just want my H2 back.

Ken

fuck all the new people here. i hate change. i want eazyb back. fuck. i want halo3 back. fuckfuckfuck. this place is too big. it moves too fast. balls.

welcome all you new junior fucks

Play duo ranked with me with your OP WW jungle.

Gui_PT

Horrible net-code.
Awful bullet spread.
Nerfed utility weapons.
Choppy aiming system.

And yet it's infinitely more fun than Reach has ever been

I can counter all those arguments with problems Reach has. Heck(fu), I have too many arguments to counter that with.

Ramirez

Horrible net-code.
Awful bullet spread.
Nerfed utility weapons.
Choppy aiming system.

The rockets were fine in Halo 3, much preferred to Reach's model of "aim in the general vicinity, get an overkill".

FyreWulff

Also I just went and saw an IMAX 3D movie for the first time.

Now I know what people are bitching about when they talk about panning shots in 3D

Fracas

#fuckonami
Never said in any of my posts that I liked Reach. I haven't liked or enjoyed a Halo game since Halo 2 (post patch that is).

Haha, I'm just kidding with you, man. Halo 3 is personally my favorite Halo, but it's all good if you don't care for it.

Opinions on Halo games are like assholes...but what are more like assholes are the people who assume their opinions are beyond reproach, or that others' opinions aren't even worthy of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom