• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homeboyd

343 just needs to poop out some videos of their own already. Reveal stuff and explain them right away. So far 90% of the info we got was via other outlets which may have interpreted features in an inaccurate way. Especially the GI was everything but clear about what they saw.
Agree completely. Frankie/David & co. spend so much time having to explain things poorly worded in articles, reviews, reports, etc.. that wouldn't be necessary if they could just produce the news themselves. I understand the benefit of having these exclusives for these retailers, but it's just so messy and leaves so much misinformation out there for consumption.

CyReN

CBS Will Broadcast Major League Gaming On TV This Fall

DiGiovanni said that a growing number of game publishers and developers are incorporating elements specifically for eSports into new games. Activision has already said Treyarch’s Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 will have features catered for eSports. And Microsoft and 343 Industries are expected to showcase exclusive features for Halo 4 designed for this growing community. Other games will be unveiled in the coming months. With this type of implementation, DiGiovanni said next season could see even more games integrated into MLG.

Karl2177

CBS Will Broadcast Major League Gaming On TV This Fall
DiGiovanni said that a growing number of game publishers and developers are incorporating elements specifically for eSports into new games. Activision has already said Treyarch’s Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 will have features catered for eSports. And Microsoft and 343 Industries are expected to showcase exclusive features for Halo 4 designed for this growing community. Other games will be unveiled in the coming months. With this type of implementation, DiGiovanni said next season could see even more games integrated into MLG.
Nice! Spectator mode pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!

GhaleonEB

Wrong.

It may have done nothing from the casual side of things and I can understand why that could be said but from the competitive side it added so much more depth for players, even giving them personalities among the community (with Walshy clawing). Some button glitches did vary in skill like nade reloading to double shotting.

With that said you can't purposely put mistakes into game, Halo 1/2 glitches were flukes that just benefited some players and the competitive community.

He's not wrong, he's talking about a different context than you. He was describing the button glitches impact on matchmaking, you are talking about their use in custom game context where players all know about them and practice using them extensively. Very different things.

My thoughts on the whole button combo discussion:

Button combos in the whole of Halo 2's sandbox broke the balance between weapons. As a result they hurt the norm of Halo 2 gameplay.

HOWEVER, the MLG/competitive sandbox consisted of a very limited set of weapons... the BR being the most used. Because of this the button combos added a whole new layer of skill for the competitive side of things. Something unfair typically equates to little effort for tons of reward. The button combos in Halo 2 actually required a decent amount of effort for a decent amount of reward. Animation canceling used to be a glitch in fighter games and now they've become the norm because it adds a layer of depth to the gameplay that wasn't originally intended.

In Halo 2 the button combos were not intended, but they added that same depth. If Halo was built to incorporate the nuances of button combos with variables to control timing, damage drop off, cooldown, etc. they could add that depth to the competitive side without being too overpowering in the midst of the entire sandbox. The advantages of button combos could be controlled to ensure that they don't make particular tools ineffective. In essence button combos can be another tool in a person's toolbox. There would be times where double shot would not be preferred over a single shot... typically the added dexterity requirement lowers general accuracy. So at distance single shot would be best or for a one shot a single would be best. Double shots would be better at closer ranges and against players with more shields.

The added depth of button combos could be beneficial, but it also requires another layer of balance that needs to be looked at. And that is not something that is feasible with the additions of things like the Tact/Support packs. Ruling out button combos as a "broken" mechanic leads to missing out on the potential of added depth for the competitive players.

Gunz: The Duel is one of the more skill intensive games in existence and the metagame has evolved to animation canceling as an art form and the standard. K-Style involves comboing different actions together to cancel cooldowns to do things originally unintended by the game like wall climbing through wall jump canceling, double shotting with a shotgun through switch/reload canceling, dashing more often than intended through swing canceling, slashing more often then intended through block canceling, etc. The dozens of animation canceling tricks however are just added skills and have created a very devoted and very skilled competitive community.

Here is a video of Gunz finger movements... it starts with basic combos to insane combos later on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQj33OEA_Y4

And this is a video of it in action in a 1v1. Keep in mind that players can only dash with their sword out and it normally has a slight cool down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euSoGDqprVQ

Just my thoughts. Button combos hurt the whole of Halo 2, but extended the competitive play. Intended integration can lead to avoiding the unbalancing of the sandbox, while simultaneously extending competitive play. However it is an added layer of balancing work and not really feasible with all the new stuff in Halo 4. Ruling out button combos in general is unfair as button combos can do loads to promote a more devoted and much more long term competitive community.

TheOddOne

There will be cool shooting guns in MP.
ikddrIj0ExqwI.gif

kylej

Banned
Cyren said:
Microsoft and 343 Industries are expected to showcase exclusive features for Halo 4 designed for this growing community. Other games will be unveiled in the coming months. With this type of implementation, DiGiovanni said next season could see even more games integrated into MLG.

This is both Interesting and Fascinating.

Great match. Bit of a mental lapse by my boys in blue right after taking the lead; probably shoulda grabbed all 3 points. 1 will do though against the likes of Spain. Well played all.

CyReN

I have no idea what the CBS deal means but MLG last event is November 2-4, Halo 4 comes out on the 6th. Unless there's something similar to Epic/Gears of War 3 last year but I can't see a lot of the 343i guys doing that just before the game launch, unless this is another way to "show off" their game before release.

Btw this is me talking out of my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom