• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank goodness. I was wondering about this whole reddit thing that blew up, was just too lazy to look, thanks for linking bro.

I saw your exchange with he who will be unnamed and he was rude for no reason, I feel not only was he calling out Nexy and implying he was dumb for defending the Halo community, but also calling out the community as a whole with the whole "look at the community you're defending". It's unfair and frankly immature to categorize an entire community based on a couple bad apples.

Tawpgun

Surprised more people aren't talking about this.
Ordnance Drops are available in multiple varieties. Most games will have an initial drop - this is tailored to the map/gametype, and will (for the most part) be consistent from game to game (assuming type and map stay the same).

Global Ordnance Drops are random in location (there are a set of locations on any given map, but the choice of location for a particular drop is random), random in assets (the choice of weapons dropped on a particular map and gametype are planned, but the one that comes at any given drop is random), and random in time (there is no fixed timer for drops). Dropped items are waypointed for all players, until they are picked up.

Personal Ordnance Drops are gametype-specific (only certain gametypes will have them). Specific items are random, though CLASSES are not - and the pool from which items are chosen are tailored to map/gametype. (You will not see a Sniper Rifle drop on a small, enclosed map.)

Personal drops are earned by reaching a score threshold - total kills without dying, total points without dying, assists, headshots, anything that gives you points adds to this - but are progressively more difficult to earn (that is, the threshold for the second drop is higher than the first, and the third is higher than the second).

Personal drops will appear in front of the dropping player (far enough in front that they can be easily picked up at a full run), and a mechanism will be in place in the final build that will keep that drop exclusive to the player who earned it for some period. Personal drops are marked with a waypoint for the dropping player only - and the waypoints are persistent, to a degree: if you drop the weapon when you die, but nobody picks it up, it will still have a waypoint on it to lead you back when you respawn. Other players in the game (friend or foe) can see the drop if they're looking at it - but will get no waypoint at any time.

That seems like a terrible joke. Leads me to believe that while Personal Drops are only in Infinity Slayer, that Global drops are in most other playlists.

So now we know that global drops are random in location, random in weapon spawn, and random in time.

So now I want to know is what the warning of an incoming drop is like. If its 5-10 seconds warning then matchmaking Halo is all kinds of fucked. If 343 really is going for this random system... They better give us 30+ seconds warning as well as the weapon and location its going to drop in.

Honestly, this still seems like a really convoluted and complicated solution for the "New players don't know weapon spawns" problem. Why wouldn't you just have weapon spawns work exactly like they did in previous Halo's, but implement that weapon waypoint system as well as a warning for a drop?

Ugh.

But Requiem appears to have just one opening to it, which can open and close. It opened to let the ship crash there. I'm wondering, was it pulled in? Did it open up just because? Why would the occupant of the place let a giant, heavily armed ship full of enemies inside?
Definitely it was pulled in. As you can see in the live action bit that the Didact hacked into the ship.

That seems like a terrible joke. Leads me to believe that while Personal Drops are only in Infinity Slayer, that Global drops are in most other playlists.

So now we know that global drops are random in location, random in weapon spawn, and random in time.

So now I want to know is what the warning of an incoming drop is like. If its 5-10 seconds warning then matchmaking Halo is all kinds of fucked. If 343 really is going for this random system... They better give us 30+ seconds warning as well as the weapon and location its going to drop in.

Honestly, this still seems like a really convoluted and complicated solution for the "New players don't know weapon spawns" problem. Why wouldn't you just have weapon spawns work exactly like they did in previous Halo's, but implement that weapon waypoint system as well as a warning for a drop?

Ugh.

where was that from?

UNSC INTEL REPORT: Watch at half-time in the England vs France EURO 2012 match (kick off 1700) to see the new Halo 4 TV ad. Features never-before-seen live action footage of Master Chief.

5Ebuf.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Definitely it was pulled in. As you can see in the live action bit that the Didact hacked into the ship.

Probably lost on the previous page, but I have a theory on that, and the shield world.

Regarding the shield world
Perhaps it's designed to let all precursor/forerunner life forms in since it's a shield world. Only it's working as a prison (unintentionally) now more than anything. All ships/life forms in it now are unwittingly sucked in and trapped.

This, which is why I figure that the shield world has been "trapping" other ships/races inside it because its function is to keep life away from the flood. Just like the rings are independent of what "life wants" the shield world probably is too. "Oh look, flood food, I'll just hold onto that..."

Regarding Didact and the infinity.

He's probably scanning it/disabling it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38765556&postcount=3827
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38765810&postcount=3842
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38765909&postcount=3846

JonCha

Yeah, the impression I got was the Personal Drops are Infinity Slayer (and playlists like it) only. I don't get how the Global drops are going to work though, because they sound almost impossible to predict and will result in a mad rush by everyone rather than the better players gradually moving toward the spawn point every three minutes.

And I'm guessing everyone knows about the live action ad?

Edit: OH DAMN BEATEN BY A SECOND.

Ugh.

I know a few people pointed it out yesterday but there wasn't a lot of discussion about it. Maybe most people agree it's a terrible concept? I dunno.

I really wish we got some explanation for this ridiculous change. I get that they want to make weapon spawning more clear for new people, but why the random times, random locations and random weapons? Isn't an indicator sufficient to notify people that a weapon is going to spawn. That way, more experienced people will still be able to time weapons before the indicator pops up and hold down the locations where they're going to spawn while the newer players also know a weapon is going to spawn there.

I guess it's just 343 studios being 343 studios.

Overdoziz

Banned

Ugh.
Even with a 30+ second warning (which I doubt by the way) one of the teams will most likely be in a better position to set up for the weapon drop. As a result the other team is screwed over for no reason whatsoever. I don't see how they can make it work in a way that isn't fucked it honestly.

But hey, at least that one dude in the Halo community that camps weapon spawns will actually help out now!

FyreWulff

I know a few people pointed it out yesterday but there wasn't a lot of discussion about it. Maybe most people agree it's a terrible concept? I dunno.

I really wish we got some explanation for this ridiculous change. I get that they want to make weapon spawning more clear for new people, but why the random times, random locations and random weapons? Isn't an indicator sufficient to notify people that a weapon is going to spawn. That way, more experienced people will still be able to time weapons before the indicator pops up and hold down the locations where they're going to spawn while the newer players also know a weapon is going to spawn there.

I guess it's just 343 studios being 343 studios.

It's Invasion Slayer from Reach.

Will this air in the Uk only or also in the rest of Europe?

Man, Invasion slayer was so awesome, everyone loved it! /sarcasm.

I really want to know how many people complained about the weapon spawn system in the previous games. I never heard any complaints about it in all the forums I visited.

daedalius

I don't take that the location is necessarily random from that, it is random within the set power-weapon spawns on the map; so, the spots that had power weapons at the beginning.

I believe they said before that the weapon itself isn't completely random, but tailored to the map and position of the spawn. Sniper spawn could come down with a sniper/forerunner-version-of-sniper.

Random timings would certainly make things unpredictable, and I hope they have at least a 30s warning on the drop so both teams could try and position themselves to get the drop/trap the drop.

I don't know if this is the case, since you don't need to stand in a designated area for a certain amount of time to get a weapon to drop, but I guess it is similar in some sense. Not my favorite mode.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't take that the location is necessarily random from that, it is random within the set power-weapon spawns on the map; so, the spots that had power weapons at the beginning.

I believe they said before that the weapon itself isn't completely random, but tailored to the map and position of the spawn. Sniper spawn could come down with a sniper/forerunner-version-of-sniper.

Random timings would certainly make things unpredictable, and I hope they have at least a 30s warning on the drop so both teams could try and position themselves to get the drop/trap the drop.

You can actually see this happen in a few of those MLG videos if I remember correctly. The power weapon is displayed on the hud (the location) and there's a countdown timer on it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm thinking with the power weapon drops the "randomness" can be controlled and tweaked. 343 may find that having these drops be a bit more random may not work out well and should be able to basically change the system to match previous games, and instead of the weapons spawning they just drop after the set amount of time at the set location.

Who knows though, there could be a lot more to the system than we know currently, or it could end up being awesome. All I know is we need to see more information on it.

FyreWulff

I don't know if this is the case, since you don't need to stand in a designated area for a certain amount of time to get a weapon to drop, but I guess it is similar in some sense. Not my favorite mode.

There's some minor differences, but it's why it doesn't even register as something completely foreign to Halo for me. To me, it's just the evolution of Invasion Slayer / Invasion Skirmish. My disinterest in 4 multi is due to the weapon palette.

Tawpgun

where was that from?

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/random_questions_at_e32012.html

From my understanding, there are a few areas on map where power weapons come down. At the beginning of the match, there is an initial drop. This is all fair game. But once the match is underway, at some random time (I'm wondering if there is a trigger, but the use of "random" seems to suggest there isn't) a random power weapon (might be tailored to the map, but it can still range from a rocket spawn to a scattershot spawn or something) in a random power weapon location, meaning there will be, lets say 3 locations on map designated as drop zones. It will spawn randomly in one of those.

Why.

daedalius

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/random_questions_at_e32012.html

From my understanding, there are a few areas on map where power weapons come down. At the beginning of the match, there is an initial drop. This is all fair game. But once the match is underway, at some random time (I'm wondering if there is a trigger, but the use of "random" seems to suggest there isn't) a random power weapon (might be tailored to the map, but it can still range from a rocket spawn to a scattershot spawn or something) in a random power weapon location, meaning there will be, lets say 3 locations on map designated as drop zones. It will spawn randomly in one of those.

Why.

I don't imagine it will be like this in every gametype, but obviously its because the game designers felt like switching things up.

I don't particularly see this as a horrible development, but obviously we need to see how it plays out before we can really cast judgement.

There's some minor differences, but it's why it doesn't even register as something completely foreign to Halo for me. To me, it's just the evolution of Invasion Slayer / Invasion Skirmish. My disinterest in 4 multi is due to the weapon palette.

mindblown.gif

heckfu

Banned
GAF what do you expect the score to be?

3-1 or 2-0 France either way. Really depends on Ribery and Benzema's mood and how healthy the back line really is...seems a bit shady. And with reports today of Olivier Giroud going from Montpellier to Arsenal, expect his mood to be through the roof and ready to prove something.

The lack of Rooney due to match bans and Carroll not starting should be worrysome for England, regardless of Oxalde-Chamberlain being in an amorphous offensive-defensive position.

Arnie

3-1 or 2-0 France either way. Really depends on Ribery and Benzema's mood and how healthy the back line really is...seems a bit shady. And with reports today of Olivier Giroud going from Montpellier to Arsenal, expect his mood to be through the roof and ready to prove something.

The lack of Rooney due to match bans and Carroll not starting should be worrysome for England, regardless of Oxalde-Chamberlain being in an amorphous offensive-defensive position.

Even I wouldn't say Carroll on the bench is a bad thing.

daedalius

Highlight player name -> Boot from party

<3

Also, THC meltdown today with this Small guy? I think that place is more vitriolic than HaloGaf most of the time. Reasonable discussion on the internet is dead, dead!(and has been for a very long time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom