• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

daedalius

I was being silly. But yeah although I understand the concept, to me it is hilarious that you have these highly trained supersoldiers that cannot pick up a loose grenade without a perk. Shit is absolute jokes.

Well, to be clear, the grenades are probably held in place by some sort of magnetic locks in the first place. Of course, you could then apply this sort of logic to all sorts of different things that make little sense, like reloading after firing 5 bullets.

Its a game balance thing, and I definitely agree with it. After the nade spam of 3 & reach anyways.

Also, the gameplay footage from E3 looked AMAZING on my theatre setup; their lighting is just gorgeous; although so is just about everything else. And 'dat sound of my giant stereo... man.

Also, Kiki posted a code and I managed to nab a MC armor! woo!

Overdoziz

Banned
I was being silly. But yeah although I understand the concept, to me it is hilarious that you have these highly trained supersoldiers that cannot pick up a loose grenade without a perk. Shit is absolute jokes.
I don't understand why people keep using this argument. Who cares what a supersoldier can do? I want good gameplay.

GhaleonEB

That has nothing to do with the fiction.

But when you invest the MP suite in the fiction, and provide fictional justifications for gameplay elements, it invites those kind of questions. Each of the packages shown at E3 have fictional justifications behind them. I'm really curious how the one about grenades will be written.

I'm fine with this stuff since it's all about the gameplay, but it does present certain challenges when you need to justify it all in a fictional context.

5Ebuf.jpg

Comes out June 11, 2012. Hey that's today.

You Europeans and your backwards date format... :p

I'm thinking with the power weapon drops the "randomness" can be controlled and tweaked. 343 may find that having these drops be a bit more random may not work out well and should be able to basically change the system to match previous games, and instead of the weapons spawning they just drop after the set amount of time at the set location.

Who knows though, there could be a lot more to the system than we know currently, or it could end up being awesome. All I know is we need to see more information on it.

I'm sure it can, but for most of us, the majority of the time we spend in the game will be 343 default settings playlists, so something like this poor weapon spawning system is obviously a huge concern.

The game looks so good in these moments. I don't understand why they don't use the game for these ads. :\

Yeah I really hope that the final fall/holiday marketing push is ingame footage for ads. I don't think that a live action sells the game much because the potential user doesn't actually see the game, nor is that scenario in the ad typically in the game.

Especially with how good games look these days (and Halo 4 specifically), seeing the actual game is going to sell people on it. I think that BF3 really got a boost from it's ads last fall because it was all game footage, and it was gorgeous.

Dat Next Generation Macbook Pro.

Now to sell my kidneys to afford it as my first mac...

$2,200 laptop, 256 GB of storage.

WHAT

daedalius

I don't understand why people keep using this argument. Who cares what a supersoldier can do? I want good gameplay.

Well, I imagine most people think that most design decisions should have grounding within the fiction to some degree; and I think this is important as well, but usually just for more important things within the universe.

The grenade and sprint stuff, I could go either way; whatever is better for gameplay.

FyreWulff

Pretty often in Firefight Doubles (Arcadefight), my partner will spawn with rockets, immediately commit suicide, then spawn with the FRG so they can jetpack around with rockets and the FRG at the same time.

Yesterday that happened, and I just picked up the guy's rockets. Partly to see what would happen, partly because I just sort of went, hay cool! Rockets. I can use those.

The reaction was entertaining enough that I'll have to keep that on my Firefight to-do list.

I'm guilty of this. But only in Arcadefight.

I'm guilty of this. But only in Arcadefight.

I usually go Sword/Plasma Launcher --> kill as much as possible, die --> Shotgun/Pro Pipe --> kill way less, die --> Jetpack, pick up Sword and Pro Pipe. It's a wonderful combination with unlimited ammo because if you miss a shot and enemies start getting too close, just stab them all to death so you can keep using Pro Pipe.

Tip Of The Spear: LASO
CHALLENGE COMPLETED

"Teleport to wat"

That was painful and fun.
Thats what she said?

No we don't.

2d0ysd2adtc.gif

Never forget.

I want to see that in the Anniversary engine.

Primordium/Anniversary spoiler:
Blue = Guilty Spark. In Anniversary's terminals we discover that every monitor of each installation has an unique color. Spark has the color blue.
The thought that Cortana would lead the Prometheans is stupid in my opinion. In Halo: Legends - Origin Part 2 we see the relationship between her and the Master Chief. He is everything for her and she is everything for him(e.g. Halo 3). Why should she want to hurt the Chief? The only reason is to protect him. Librarian would never harm humans. We know she has a preferences for us. In the Original Halo-Trilogy (Halo 1-3), Guilty Spark is trying to do everything to achieve his goal. I do not think he will be friendly now.

The Halo-ring is definitely Installation 07. It has a special meaning in the lore since Halo: Primordium. It is the grave of the Primordial. The place of the Composer.

The Didact is confirmed to be in the game because of the trailer. The orb is his Cryptum. He has not unleashed himself from the Cryptum yet. He let the Infinity crash on Requiem not because of the Forerunner technology. He did the same thing like Guilty Spark had done with the Autumn at the beginning of Halo 1. He scanned it. Discovered that the ship contains Humans. Let it in.

The post is not really detailed. But these are my assumption which will be wrong this fall. But hey, let me dream.

Edit.: Orb thing in the trailer is confirmed to be a Cryptum because the artwork is titled as Cryptum. :)

I agree with a lot of this.. god I can't wait to play this game.

Boom. Ok, so here it comes.. I think the live action MC looks a bit off and clunky, more like fan armor. I kinda wish they would have just used the in game part for this, it looks good enough anyways.

Awesome trailer, but its nothing new.. And yeah, after watching it I don't think the live action MC looked very good.. They really should have used the game in that part.

GhaleonEB

Yeah I really hope that the final fall/holiday marketing push is ingame footage for ads. I don't think that a live action sells the game much because the potential user doesn't actually see the game, nor is that scenario in the ad typically in the game.

Especially with how good games look these days (and Halo 4 specifically), seeing the actual game is going to sell people on it. I think that BF3 really got a boost from it's ads last fall because it was all game footage, and it was gorgeous.

I really do enjoy these live action pieces put together, including the one just released. It was well done. But yeah, I wish they'd go with in-game for the ads. In the closing shots in particular, we have the exact same sequence shown in the E3 demo, and it's just jaw-droopingly gorgeous. Really impressive work. Imagine someone asking of that scene at the end of the live action bit was in the game, the response is - nope! But it looks almost as good in the game, really!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
But when you invest the MP suite in the fiction, and provide fictional justifications for gameplay elements, it invites those kind of questions. Each of the packages shown at E3 have fictional justifications behind them. I'm really curious how the one about grenades will be written.

I'm fine with this stuff since it's all about the gameplay, but it does present certain challenges when you need to justify it all in a fictional context.

The problem comes when people suggest decisions about the gameplay are made due to elements in the fiction.

Fictional justifications don't harm anyone.

Fiction shouldn't even be mentioned when moaning about gameplay elements, just seems like one more thing to drag into the mud.

my only complaint with apple EVER

I can find some more. :p

Right? It's pretty, but I would never ever ever pay that much for a computer. Spending $1200 on my MBP was already hard enough for me to justify.

Yeah you can find plenty of ultrabooks with better specs for cheaper.

Kiki ‏@k_wolfkill
Hmm...what does that 2nd label say? Tomorrow #Halo4! RT @jimmyfallon Video Game Week is coming next week on Late Night.

http://instagr.am/p/LgVeqYvZ2Q/

I wonder if it's something new or just the demo from E3.

GhaleonEB

The problem comes when people suggest decisions about the gameplay are made due to elements in the fiction.

Fictional justifications don't harm anyone.

Fiction shouldn't even be mentioned when moaning about gameplay elements, just seems like one more thing to drag into the mud.

We are approaching this from two different angles. I'm simply amused by the fictional justifications for gameplay elements (nothing new). 343 is taking them further than in the past. I agree they don't hurt anything and for many add a lot of value. I've said it's actually a pretty cool thing, overall. But sometimes that means you have to do that for things that are purely in the interest of game balance, which makes for amusing fictional justifications. (In this case, a perk that lets you pick up grenades off of fallen enemies in multiplayer.) That's all I'm commenting on, dude.

FyreWulff

I wonder how the fiction is going to explain the DMR making it off of Reach. Especially since it's one of three rifles that are seemingly redundant to each other.

Probably about as much explanation as all the ARs disappearing in Halo 2 and then returning in 3

I wonder how the fiction is going to explain the DMR making it off of Reach. Especially since it's one of three rifles that are seemingly redundant to each other.

Probably about as much explanation as all the ARs disappearing in Halo 2 and then returning in 3

lol

I like that some people actually want explanations for this stuff.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
We are approaching this from two different angles. I'm simply amused by the fictional justifications for gameplay elements (nothing new). 343 is taking them further than in the past. I agree they don't hurt anything and for many add a lot of value. I've said it's actually a pretty cool thing, overall. But sometimes that means you have to do that for things that are purely in the interest of game balance, which makes for amusing fictional justifications. (In this case, a perk that lets you pick up grenades off of fallen enemies in multiplayer.) That's all I'm commenting on, dude.

Yeah I'm seeing your angle. It's a bit like how Reach's fiction, like the armour stuff, didn't line up to reality. You'd be wearing armour covered in grenades, knives and all kinds of explosives yet you'd never use any of it when playing.

Tawpgun

What's the problem with having a ton of weapons?

Matchmaking is going to resctrict them anyway.

Not like you'll have BR/DMR/Light Rifle pick ups everywhere.

FyreWulff

lol

I like that some people actually want explanations for this stuff.

"I know what we need. We can justify the Carbine and the BR, since Chief would have had them. But let's add a third fucking rifle from Reach because we want to please everyone and justify making loadouts"

ARs in Halo 2 can be explained by the shipment carrier running out of gas and refueling at Mars. It shows up after Regret jumps out of earth. "Hey guys, did I miss anything?"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Right. That's where I was coming from, too. I enjoy Halo fiction almost as much as Halo gameplay, and I'm happy to see that the two are blending more than ever before. But that blending will inevitably result in really strange explanations for some of the gameplay-centric design choices. Like, the grenades thing. Some of those explanations will be absurd, some will be funny, some will probably just make us scratch our heads.

Also: does Forge have a fiction behind it?

Louis Wu

But do you need such a great screen? Or better question: Are you willing to pay that price for such a screen?
For me, it's more about the whole package. Personally, I like Macs more than PCs - I like them enough that I'm willing to pay the premium Apple asks for 'em. (I use both, on a daily basis, so it's not really like it's a matter of "I want what I know" - it's more "I want what works better for me".)

I couldn't care less if someone else says "nope, not worth it for me" - I'm not an Apple evangelist, just a user. :)

daedalius

"I know what we need. We can justify the Carbine and the BR, since Chief would have had them. But let's add a third fucking rifle from Reach because we want to please everyone and justify making loadouts"

ARs in Halo 2 can be explained by the shipment carrier running out of gas and refueling at Mars. It shows up after Regret jumps out of earth. "Hey guys, did I miss anything?"

Probably because the FUD is a warship and has guns.

FyreWulff

Also: does Forge have a fiction behind it?

Monitors technically have the ability to pick up objects, I guess. But GS only uses it in Halo 1. (I'm not being totally serious, by the way)

Probably because the FUD is a warship and has guns.

So everyone just selectively didn't pick up a DMR on The Ark? I mean, it's obvious the FUD was going to be used as an excuse for any new human weapons. I'm just being easily amused.

I have to say, these enhancements like faster recharge and grenade pickup kind of irk me. They may not always come into play during an encounter, but they can introduce uncertainty in some longer encounters.

For instance, let's say a guy throws both of his grenades at me, and he starts to retreat through a path on which I know there are no grenade spawns. I should be able to chase him safely, only sometimes, he'll have a perk which will let him pick up a dropped grenade, and he'll catch me off guard. Or similarly, if I chase and trap a guy who is weak, I know his shields are down, only sometimes, he'll have a perk which will have let them already recharge, catching me off guard again. And these are just two examples.

Each one of these relatively small tweaks work together to make a game that is inconsistent overall. I had the same gripe with Call of Duty 4, which is ultimately why I chose to play it less and Halo more.

To me, AAs in Reach are more tolerable, because they function consistently, and you can visually detect which AA a player is using.

Louis Wu

I have to say, these enhancements like faster recharge and grenade pickup kind of irk me. They may not always come into play during an encounter, but they can introduce uncertainty in some longer encounters.

For instance, let's say a guy throws both of his grenades at me, and he starts to retreat through a path on which I know there are no grenade spawns. I should be able to chase him safely, only sometimes, he'll have a perk which will let him pick up a dropped grenade, and he'll catch me off guard. Or similarly, if I chase and trap a guy who is weak, I know his shields are down, only sometimes, he'll have a perk which will have let them already recharge, catching me off guard again. And these are just two examples.

Each one of these relatively small tweaks work together to make a game that is inconsistent overall. I had the same gripe with Call of Duty 4, which is ultimately why I chose to play it less and Halo more.

To me, AAs in Reach are more tolerable, because they function consistently, and you can visually detect which AA a player is using.
Heh - some people will read your post and think "damn right - he gets it." I read your post and think "man, he wants to play a boring game."

One man's meat...

Right. That's where I was coming from, too. I enjoy Halo fiction almost as much as Halo gameplay, and I'm happy to see that the two are blending more than ever before. But that blending will inevitably result in really strange explanations for some of the gameplay-centric design choices. Like, the grenades thing. Some of those explanations will be absurd, some will be funny, some will probably just make us scratch our heads.

Reasonable explanations:
Cortana fashioned Chief a few modified weapons based on existing schematics from what parts they could scavenge. DMR could be in the event that Chief has to deal with some targets from long-range, since they're using some bigger vistas on Requiem, after all.

Alternatively: they came from the Infinity using similar reasoning and we don't even have access to them until the Infinity lands.

Picking up more grenades is possible, but much like dual-wielding weapons as an ODST, handling rogue elements would be difficult to track for the player because the HUD works off of the "expendable but mass-produced" armor tech that the Spartan IIIs used.

Alternatively: since the same doesn't apply in campaign, it could simply be the Infinity's holodeck pulling an Assassin's Creed and it's either a bug or they're trying to train Spartans not to rely too heavily on stray grenades (unless they're a grenadier specifically).

More likely explanations:
This DMR is actually a skunkworks variant produced in [location either referencing Marathon or an obscure portmanteau of Romantic-language words], using a variety of [technobabble] that made them incredibly rare, restricting access to only those who were proficient enough to use them. Now that the armory's been destroyed and Cortana's located access codes by means of [either ONI semantics or REDACTED], Chief is able to use them.

Grenades: fuck it, something about armor gyros, thrusters, magnetic parts, something something trust us.

Overdoziz

Banned

I really wish there wasn't a loadout system at all. sigh...

Fuchsdh

Fiction in forge?

Drop Monitors.

Infinity combat deck construction droids.

Yeah I was wondering what the fiction behind Forge mode would be.

Why do you even need Monitors anyhow? The idea of the Monitors in-game was the original intent behind Halo 3's Forge, but it's basically just a map maker now.

And Apple, where are my goddamn Mac Pros?

Ramirez

When are you guys going to accept that the basic stripped down Halo gameplay is never returning? Time to accept it for what it is and move on. :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I should be able to chase him safely, only sometimes, he'll have a perk which will let him pick up a dropped grenade, and he'll catch me off guard. Or similarly, if I chase and trap a guy who is weak, I know his shields are down, only sometimes, he'll have a perk which will have let them already recharge, catching me off guard again.
Exactly. Out of everything, it's the perks I'm the most worried about. Level playing field completely out the window.

When are you guys going to accept that the basic stripped down Halo gameplay is never returning? Time to accept it for what it is and move on. :p
Heh, we'll all be complaining more than ever after the game comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom