• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Easiest way to do it is split everyone up into four groups, based on kd, win percentage, arena rank. If everyone had a H3 rank, that might make it easier to sort out. Then take one person from each subset and make teams of 4 from them. Helps avoid the possibility of the teams becoming stacked.

heckfu

Banned
And there aren't any good Halo games that could be played online.

Sigh. Same old tired posts from you, I'm realizing.

Easiest way to do it is split everyone up into four groups, based on kd, win percentage, arena rank. If everyone had a H3 rank, that might make it easier to sort out. Then take one person from each subset and make teams of 4 from them. Helps avoid the possibility of the teams becoming stacked.
So what are you trying to say, Halo 4 should have ranks to make it easier to plan a tourney for us?

Genius idea! Team Ram 4 ever.

I think a cross game tournament would be awesome, maybe a game on 3, a game on Reach then a decider on a coin toss. I concede That might be too much though. People switching disks and having the right maps and stuff would be a nightmare.

A very small subset of names has come up consistently over the last couple of pages, could be interesting to throwing those 8 names into the mix and seeing who comes out on top.

Trey

I think a cross game tournament would be awesome, maybe a game on 3, a game on Reach then a decider on a coin toss. I concede That might be too much though. People switching disks and having the right maps and stuff would be a nightmare.

A very small subset of names has come up consistently over the last couple of pages, could be interesting to throwing those 8 names into the mix and seeing who comes out on top.

The Halo Gauntlet? Not bad. Considering how party game like Halo 4 is looking, should be a nice primer.

I suggest a skill threshold too. Each participant has to defeat me in a 1v1 match (Overdoz1z first cause he likes the onesies).

Dax as gatekeeper, I like the idea of this. Can we get Elzar to sing the Mortal Kombat theme tune during the 1v1's?

The Halo Gauntlet? Not bad. Considering how party game like Halo 4 is looking, should be a nice primer.

Im just totally pushing because I kinda want to be a part of this, but wouldn't touch a stand alone Reach tourney. :p That said I really think a Halo Gauntlet would be a cool idea, especially this close to a new Halo game.

Risen

Definitely need to split it up some way... otherwise there will be 3-4 teams with a chance to win it, and everyone else (though there are a few who I haven't played with... maybe there are more than that... still, it seems pretty top heavy if you don't manage it in some way, and it's butt hurt waiting to happen.

Whoever is going to run it should start a sign up sheet and let it run a week or so, give enough time for everyone to sign up, then segregate into the ABCD players, and go from there?

I'd be up for a tourney if the times aren't too insane for me.

Also Elzar, where is my PM? You didn't send it to Robbert014 again, did you :p?

Soon.

Really thought I was going to get banned, amazingly funny.

You guys should have kept me worried a bit longer.

Dax as gatekeeper, I like the idea of this. Can we get Elzar to sing the Mortal Kombat theme tune during the 1v1's?

Winner gets a Bobby Darin serenade from me.

BigShow36

Definitely need to split it up some way... otherwise there will be 3-4 teams with a chance to win it, and everyone else (though there are a few who I haven't played with... maybe there are more than that... still, it seems pretty top heavy if you don't manage it in some way, and it's butt hurt waiting to happen.

Whoever is going to run it should start a sign up sheet and let it run a week or so, give enough time for everyone to sign up, then segregate into the ABCD players, and go from there?

1v1 tournament for seeding, then form 4v4 teams based on seeding.

Fracas

#fuckonami

This sounds pretty good. I'm going to make a list of everyone who's interested, and I'll include their k/d, w/l, and BPR. Then we'll see from there.

Hype!

edit: Taking's Risen's idea as well.

heckfu

Banned
This sounds pretty good. I'm going to make a list of everyone who's interested, and I'll include their k/d, w/l, and BPR. Then we'll see from there.

Hype!

Ehhh...maybe we don't need that. You know, for people who are embarrassed by theirs. NOT ME OF COURSE.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ehhh...maybe we don't need that. You know, for people who are embarrassed by theirs. NOT ME OF COURSE.

If you want, I won't show it. No one should be ashamed of their k/d though. I know mine isn't great, and I don't really care who sees it, lol.

heckfu

Banned
If you want, I won't show it. No one should be ashamed of their k/d though. I know mine isn't great, and I don't really care who sees it, lol.

I was mostly joking. Mostly. I attribute it to playing with randoms for an entire year before I got in with gaffers. And even then I thought it was fun to go in by myself and get killed.

I also attribute it to being a BK.

Trey

Hype!

GT: MGTrey, 1.5 K/D, 60-40, 85 BPR, hasn't played in two months, team upper.

I think there are some very prominent ego's on here, it would be pretty fun to see a battle go down between those guys, im not sure splitting the teams up would be as 'fun'. It would probably open the floor to more people though if the teams where fair.

I think logistically a large scale tournament is a nightmare to pull off so I would love to see the guys with big ego's on here put them to the test, who is really as good as they say they are? Could be a fun showdown. (That said, a large scale tourney could work, the inter community tourney worked well, it would just be a nightmare for anyone who organised it.)

Hype!

Put Reach Arena and Halo 3 rank on there, they are the only stats that people really worked towards. BPR and stuff is meaningless considering how everyone either has a 100 BPR because they play properly or a < 100 BPR because they muck about. Same with K/D and win/loss to a lesser degree.

Should also do some H4 tourny the week it comes out then try and do the same tournament at the end of H4.

Wait is this one going to be Reach or H4?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I didn't have any hopes after how Frankie talked about it. But yeah, I'm still hoping for a good replacement but I don't have any high hopes

Frankie made some posts a few OT's back about why ranked was so flawed in halo 3. From his tone, I thought it was safe to assume ranked from Halo 3 isn't coming back for Halo 4.

Ranking wasn't flawed in itself - the systems, visibility and placement caused douchersons to abuse it to the point where, in spite of insistence from some here to the contrary, the pool of high leveled players was polluted by grinders, griefers and trolls. We are thinking about this in depth.

Ryaaan14

Banned
If K/D is being taken into consideration for forming teams, I look forward to being on the team with the best players in HaloGAF.

That is the only possible way to balance that shit.

Risen

Ranking wasn't flawed in itself - the systems, visibility and placement caused douchersons to abuse it to the point where, in spite of insistence from some here to the contrary, the pool of high leveled players was polluted by grinders, griefers and trolls. We are thinking about this in depth.

So why not punish the offenders and leave a good system alone?

darthbob

Thank you.

I for one do not require a publicaly visible rank to validate my playing ability to the entire Halo populace.

I realize this doesn't jibe with everyone, but as I'm certain many of you are aware, once you reached the mid 40s in Halo 3, things went downhill. For most, rank (namely 50) didn't appear to be an indicator of actual skill, as it was intended, but by many as a badge of honor. This is why boosters existed, so that they could "get their 50". Self entitlement aside, this did nothing but encourage lesser skilled players to boost and then they would grief when they got matched up against people who had their skill accurately applied.

heckfu

Banned
And if I get a say in things, I think that teams should be randomly drawn period. Have the designated captains and just pull randomly, I think that would be the most fair way.

Sure you'll get your Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal teams but I think that just comes with the territory.

Thank you.

I for one do not require a publicaly visible rank to validate my playing ability to the entire Halo populace.
LOL, it's not about dick-wagging your rank. It's a tangible number to use when matching due (again, MOSTLY) to skill. Unlike reach where you get matched against people who have put similar TIME into a game, the ranking system seemed a way more fair match. I see Frankie's point and agree with it wholly about griefers, trolls, and the like, though.

If anyone needs me, I might consider joining in (if I have the time). Otherwise I'll content myself to ridiculing you guys from the sidelines.

Thank you.

I realize this doesn't jibe with everyone, but as I'm certain many of you are aware, once you reached the mid 40s in Halo 3, things went downhill.

I like the cut of your jib, bob.

And if I get a say in things, I think that teams should be randomly drawn period. Have the designated captains and just pull randomly, I think that would be the most fair way.

Sure you'll get your Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal teams but I think that just comes with the territory.

I was talking to fracas about that earlier. That's what I think we should do.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So why not punish the offenders and leave a good system alone?

It was NOT as it turns out, all that good a system or it wouldn't have been so polluted. If you want to argue about the number, that's different, but the system as implemented back then, did a lot of harm and began to be self-defeating. It wasn't the end of the world - and a large swathe of players were completely oblivious to what problems there were - but it was seriously problematic.

Someone make this for me please :(

Since Windows LIVE is being a bitch to me it'd be nice if someone posted this for me, haters gonna hate and all...

We already know Elites are not in which means no Invasion as we know it in H4, assumming H4 uses the Megalo engine have you guys considered releasing a gametype (both at launch or after launch) which relied on some of the aspects which made invasion great?

That's spawning on your bro, unlocking new weapons, vehicles, abilities...expanding maps, objectives and slayer carnage

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ok, here is a list of people who are interested. I put a ? by people who I'm not really sure want to play.
monsterfracas
kittens
ryaaan14
thezerofire
heckfu
Wahrer Machine
CyReN (?)
Franklinator
xxjuicesxx (?)
Karl2177 (?)
Ramirez
StalkerUKCG (?)
NubInaTub
Hypertrooper (?)
daedalius (?)
Ravensmash
Tashi0106 (?)
HiredN00bs (?)
Gui_PT (?)
op_ivy (?)
JonCha
ElzarTheBam (?)
HigherLevel (?)
Plywood (?)
Overdoz1z (?)
Tha Robbertster
Fyrewulff
Hydranockz
Risen
EvB
Louis Wu (?)
dangerbyrnes
-Yeti
Trey (?)
Homeboyd (?)
Dax01 (?)
Zoso Achilles
daedalius
Frankie (you know you want to)
Blue Ninja
Zeouterlimits
Shadders

It's seriously baffling how many people can have their enjoyment depend on the presence of a numerical value next to their name.

Then again, I reached a point where I don't give a fuck about shit like that anymore, but everyone's different.

You forgot me, fracas. :( Same as Elzar, though.

darthbob

It's seriously baffling how many people can have their enjoyment depend on the presence of a numerical value next to their name.

Then again, I reached a point where I don't give a fuck about shit like that anymore, but everyone's different.

I attained a level of 45 in Halo 3, and a level of 23 after the 2nd stat wipe in Halo 2. Honestly, I'm completely fine with being just a 45 in Halo 3. It's unfortunate that others didn't seem to agree with their own individual ranking and needed a two digit numeral next to their tag in order to feel better about themselves.

heckfu

Banned

Did you disregard my post completely? It's about getting more fair matches based on skill rather than how much time someone has put in, not how long my internet dong is.

Fracas if it's a reach tourney I dont think I'll bother, would be interesting to see what goes down though.
I'm kind of just hoping to see a game between wolfpack and MLG, could be interesting.

Fracas

#fuckonami

You forgot me, fracas. :( Same as Elzar, though.
Fixed :) Didn't catch your latest post saying you'd be down.
Fracas, depends on the time, too late and I'm out.

Dun worry, we can accommodate InternationalGAF, shouldn't be a problem.

Fracas if it's a reach tourney I dont think I'll bother, would be interesting to see what goes down though.
Lame! Oh well, if you change your mind, you know what to do

Fracas, depends on the time, too late and I'm out.

Yeah, same here. If those details can get finalized, the Eurocrowd can decide whether or not they'll play, I guess.

I attained a level of 45 in Halo 3, and a level of 23 after the 2nd stat wipe in Halo 2. Honestly, I'm completely fine with being just a 45 in Halo 3. It's unfortunate that others didn't seem to agree with their own individual ranking and needed a two digit numeral next to their tag in order to feel better about themselves.

I think I was a 37, but fuck, I dunno anymore. Long time.

Did you disregard my post completely? It's about getting more fair matches based on skill rather than how much time someone has put in, not how long my internet dong is.

I wasn't referring to you, bro-fu. Just in general, a lot of people seem to get an instant boner when somebody mentions the words "Halo 4" and "1 to 50" in the same sentence.

In terms of ranking, I would mostly just like a way to tell quickly how good a player is. Whether that's k/d, k/d in that playlist, number of games won vs. games played, etc. doesn't matter that much to me, I just want a way to see how good someone is, rather than how much time they've put into a game.

For example, in Halo 3, you could look at the number rank, but you'd also look at their win/loss record. You could tell if someone boosted for their rank or not that way. Something along those lines would be nice.

Ok, here is a list of people who are interested. I put a ? by people who I'm not really sure want to play.
monsterfracas
kittens
ryaaan14
thezerofire
heckfu
Wahrer Machine
CyReN (?)
Franklinator
xxjuicesxx (?)
Karl2177 (?)
Ramirez
StalkerUKCG (?)