• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, same here. If those details can get finalized, the Eurocrowd can decide whether or not they'll play, I guess.
I think it would be easier if Euro (and other non-US) folks let us know if you want to join in now, and we'll figure out scheduling stuff later. There's enough overlap that we could make something work -- we just need to know who's in.

In terms of ranking, I would mostly just like a way to tell quickly how good a player is. Whether that's k/d, k/d in that playlist, number of games won vs. games played, etc. doesn't matter that much to me, I just want a way to see how good someone is, rather than how much time they've put into a game.

Me too. Like in Reach, I wish it had some basic stats next to people's Spartan when you look at them in a lobby.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Also, everyone that's wanting to join, add your gamertag to the list here if it's not already there.

And Ghaleon, would you mind adding this to the OP?

In terms of ranking, I would mostly just like a way to tell quickly how good a player is. Whether that's k/d, k/d in that playlist, number of games won vs. games played, etc. doesn't matter that much to me, I just want a way to see how good someone is, rather than how much time they've put into a game.

Yeah I really miss being able to look at a service record ad quickly being able to see win/ loss and rank. Reach actually shows k/d which is useful but quite convulsed to find, it's also given no context. Rank was a nice simply way to get a bearing on your opponent, but of course it had to be taken with a pinch of salt. I mostly miss ranked though because in reach there's no way to go and get a competitive snipers match for example, at least in halo 3 if I went in at a high level I could count on opponents with a high level.

heckfu

Banned
Also, everyone that's wanting to join, add your gamertag to the list here if it's not already there.

And Ghaleon, would you mind adding this to the OP?

I don't think it's too far out of the realm of possibility that a 4v4 tourney may not happen due to time constraints so what about 2v2 if it doesn't work out?

Risen

It was NOT as it turns out, all that good a system or it wouldn't have been so polluted. If you want to argue about the number, that's different, but the system as implemented back then, did a lot of harm and began to be self-defeating. It wasn't the end of the world - and a large swathe of players were completely oblivious to what problems there were - but it was seriously problematic.

Not good at what exactly? So it was a poor system because people could readily abuse it? By that standard there is no good system.

The H2 system worked better than H3 at reflecting one's TEAM skill in a number as it rewarded all the intangibles that go into winning. The system wasn't flawed because people cheated... people are flawed and so they cheat. Prevent it, or punish it...

In H3, there was a much smaller population of people that could crack the 360, and the trueskill system was utilized heavily... I can get on board with this being flawed because trueskill can be manipulated allowing people to work the number... but again it was people cheating the system. That may have cheapened what a 50 meant, but it was still something many would play endlessly to attain. I coached a friend for almost a full year, playing every week, to help him attain it in a legit manner... no way he played as much without that carrot.

I'm all for doing all you can to have a system for reflecting skill within a game that can't be manipulated. But to remove the reflected number simply because people are A-holes isn't the answer.

I'm excited to see what you guys come up with in H4.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't think it's too far out of the realm of possibility that a 4v4 tourney may not happen due to time constraints so what about 2v2 if it doesn't work out?

I'd be okay with 2v2, but we'd have a boatload of teams. That'd eliminate objective gametypes as well. Would 3v3 work?

FyreWulff

13 AR kills?

smh

/anyone_in_halogaf

That game is so memorable only because after it ended, I think it was David Ellis who said "Who putting Stopping Power on Fyrewulff's AR?" :p

It was NOT as it turns out, all that good a system or it wouldn't have been so polluted. If you want to argue about the number, that's different, but the system as implemented back then, did a lot of harm and began to be self-defeating. It wasn't the end of the world - and a large swathe of players were completely oblivious to what problems there were - but it was seriously problematic.

The thing that miffed me the most in H3 is I had to stop playing SWAT. It wasn't because of the maps or the gametypes, those were fine. It was because I had to take a dice roll on if I was going to be hostedbooted or standby'd because a team of 4 people really wanted a bigger number next to their name. Nothing is more deflating or crushing when you pull a miracle flag run and the other team just decides to hostboot 3 of your 4 man team. Or they just up and do it right when the game starts. Literally the only time I've thrown a controller.

Oh man, this got me good.

fear-of-being-watched-by-a-duck.jpg

Yeah hostbooters and I guess general network shennanigans was a huge problem especially in swat, I have to say though That I almost feel like any system will be subjected to those kind of people so maybe the answer is to build better defences against the weak points?

Homeboyd

Ranking wasn't flawed in itself - the systems, visibility and placement caused douchersons to abuse it to the point where, in spite of insistence from some here to the contrary, the pool of high leveled players was polluted by grinders, griefers and trolls. We are thinking about this in depth.
Share!

The visibility aspect of it is what made it so popular to begin with (which I know you already are aware of), but it's also what will continue to drive people to exploit it (which I know you already are aware of). Would you rather have a system in place that is popular enough for people to work so hard to exploit it or a system that no one cares enough about to exploit? I know you would like to have the best of both worlds, but to me at least, it would seem like creating the more popular system would be a better choice than a system no one wants to participate in.

I posted this before in the past, but with the Halo 3 ranking system I felt like everything I did in a match mattered. If I was guarding the flag and let someone pop in and snag it, that was going to hurt me.. hurt our team.. hurt my rank (that I worked so hard for so long to achieve). Every little mistake you made could really hurt you and it may take hours or days to regain that ground you lost. It was intense and that's what made it great... because the visibility was tied to it. Something I could point to as a trophy or reward for my (and our) success. In Reach, it doesn't matter what I do. I could play as competitively as possible or drive around on a mongoose shooting a needler in the air and the effect is the same. I don't feel like it matters who wins or who loses the match other than the inherent need to win. And it doesn't.

I think one of the best parts of 3's ranking system versus Arena in Reach is that the team effort inspires players who aren't as good as their teammates to try to excel in a sort of "play your role" kind of way. And that can lead to the success of your team and the possibility of ranking up. In Reach, if my team wins and I play like shit... I get punished. And that certainly makes sense on paper, but it only inspires me to pad my stats in the game rather than do a lot of the intangible stuff that promotes teamwork and can push my team closer to victory. Who cares if we get the most time in the hill if I come out with a +20 k/d and a high daily rating?

I know you know all of these things already, but I'm just trying to figure out why removing that aspect of the game would ever be considered just to remove any possibility of people exploiting it by creating a system people don't care enough about to exploit. I certainly can't speak for others, but these are the reasons I avoid Arena. I hate the thought of participating in a team game that focuses on individual performance (winning cR bonus does nothing for me.. I have 11+ million credits stored up). I don't care to jump in and help out my team because it doesn't matter whether we win or not (for the most part). And on top of that, what am I working towards? A hidden arena rank that doesn't tell anyone anything about my actual skill.. that gets reset every new season?

I miss those days of playing a ranked match where for every second of every match I felt that intense competitiveness where I had to be on point and contribute or my whole team was going to suffer. I don't know.. It just felt like every shot, every second of playing defense, every call out, every time I snagged rockets/sniper for my team, every assist mattered. In Reach, none of those things matter in any playlist. It is something I turn on to mess around in a few playlists here and there and then turn it off for the evening a short time later. Heart rate a steady 75 bpm. I hope Halo 4 can bring back that intensity and have me sitting on the edge of my seat fighting for that last kill, grabbing that last flag cap, guarding that last territory for the win.. heart about to beat out of my chest. This is the kind of shit that made me love this game and always had me coming back for more.

Shadders

I'll join the touney, I have a pap connection though. I'm moving house at the end of the month and will have fibre optic, if the tournament is starting after that then BEWARE MY MAD SKILLS, if not then I blame my failures on my crummy internet.

Literally EVERY single system that gives placement in the world has darkness to it. Thats just the fact that people are shitty. People suck dick. They suck hard dick hard. If I could cleanse them all I would.

This doesnt just extend to video games though this is like Life.

Don't take away our rank system though because of rotten apple douchebags.

Thats all. Ill leave it at that. Now go get philosophical on that shit.

Risen

Literally EVERY single system that gives placement in the world has darkness to it. Thats just the fact that people are shitty. People suck dick. They suck hard dick hard. If I could cleanse them all I would.

This doesnt just extend to video games though this is like Life.

Don't take away our rank system though because of rotten apple douchebags.

Thats all. Ill leave it at that. Now go get philosophical on that shit.

Can I hump your leg? That philosophical enough for you...?

Yeah hostbooters and I guess general network shennanigans was a huge problem especially in swat, I have to say though That I almost feel like any system will be subjected to those kind of people so maybe the answer is to build better defences against the weak points?

Yes. I'm assuming 343 realizes boosting is probably going to run rampant in Halo 4 simply because of the implementation of perks, spartan points, and more armor selections. I can see it now, "Hey guys anyone in this lobby wanna boost for X Spartan Points?!!?!" Sure 1-50 had it's negatives (host booting, modding, standbying, account stealing, etc) but this happens in every game that allows the exploitation to happen, even when rank means nothing.

I can't comprehend removing 1-50. Basically setting fire to a country because someone 10 percent of the country has the flu.

Karl2177

This sounds pretty good. I'm going to make a list of everyone who's interested, and I'll include their k/d, w/l, and BPR. Then we'll see from there.

Hype!

edit: Taking's Risen's idea as well.

Stats? Oh, I've been chugging along in my spare time(which is becoming less and less each day).

And yes, K/D;W/L;BPR aren't always the greatest factors when organizing this stuff. IMO, anyone should drop the sniper rifle for Krispy; he has the best snipe headshot rate of who I've collected.

Stats? Oh, I've been chugging along in my spare time(which is becoming less and less each day).

And yes, K/D;W/L;BPR aren't always the greatest factors when organizing this stuff. IMO, anyone should drop the sniper rifle for Krispy; he has the best snipe headshot rate of who I've collected.

Reminds me of Moneyball.

daedalius

Does the game support teams? How does the ranking work for that?

That is a good question; but if you always played with the same team, it wouldn't be a problem because your rating would simply be your team rating. Tashi did a big overview of it before, but that was a while ago.

I am sure that the ranking team on Halo 4 has looked at how ranks work in one of the most competitive vidja games on the market.

Reminds me, did you and your bother have that 1v1 a while back?

Haha, we did. It was an epic back and forth that ultimately ended up 0-0. I got really close to capping at the end, too. The hard part is taking the flag out of the opposing team's base because they respawn before you can get out of there.

I want a rematch.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Okay, so counting all the people I have question marks by, I have a list of 43 people.

That said, we should probably decide team sizes. Ideally, it'd be 4v4, but I'm okay with 3v3. Also to decide: What version/gametypes do we want? Should we split up into skill-based divisions?

Okay, so counting all the people I have question marks by, I have a list of 43 people.

That said, we should probably decide team sizes. Ideally, it'd be 4v4, but I'm okay with 3v3. Also to decide: What version/gametypes do we want? Should we split up into skill-based divisions?

8 on 8 Grifball

4v4 would be nice.

I'm much more comfortable with Anniversary Classic rules, but then that narrows down the field I'd assume. Straight up slayer would be ideal, but objective modes could work for the purposes of this.

I have Halo 3, Reach, Anniversary so once we decide on a game I'll put some hours in.

In other words....whatever :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom