• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
People may complain about netcode in Halo 3 but what makes it intolerable is just how many BR battles ends up with regeneration or bubble shield being deployed. I'll never understand the need for this kind of forced "evolution" in sequels.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
People may complain about netcode in Halo 3 but what makes it intolerable is just how many BR battles ends up with regeneration or bubble shield being deployed.

the only thing that pops in my head when discussion goes to halo 3 and netcode is going off the valhala mancannons over and over and over again in a laggy shit storm of lag.

kylej

Banned
I dunno what BPR is and my skills have corroded away but sign me up for this tournament thing as long as it takes place at a reasonable time EST. My body and mind can't stay up til 2am anymore.

Ramirez

BPR-100, K/D 1.79, 84% WP.

Get people to tell you their highest rank in TS H3 as well, still believe that's your best shot at matching people up correctly. The top tier players is the easy part, evening out the teams with the other 3 players is where it gets sticky.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What would I actually have to do to raise my BPR? I just wanna know for shits and giggles. 3 is way too low for me lolllerzzzzzzzzz

Tawpgun

It's because BPR probably doesn't take into account playlists.

I'd take a 80-90 BPR in MLG to a 100 in Team Slayer.

Tashi plays lots of MLG.

Karl2177

Only thing I'm getting at the moment is BPR, K/D, and win percentage lol. If you need any of those, I have them

Unknown
and useless
; derivative; derivative

Plus with mine, you can gain a wealth of knowledge about player trends, and possibly balance teams in a better way. You might be giving a team an Elzar or Domino Theory who rack up insane amounts of Assists(which is also pretty beneficial).

It's been a year or more since Duncan and Hitmonchan ran the Halo Community Tourney.

I think we hosted it around May of last year. Good times.

Glad to see the tournament spirit carried on. It might be nice to have someone who could stream on each team so I can watch. :^)

1-50 is already confirmed not to be in :(

than halo 4 is doomed what made halo different from every shooter was that ranked mattered. Not only that but it could be gained and lost. It is what kept people competitive and kept people playing the game. There is a reason why Halo Reach had such a big drop off. While Reach's game play contributes to it, this was its biggest factor.
I hope they change their mind. They really need to realize it helped make Halo popular.

Korosenai

BPR - 88
K/D - 1.62
W% - 61%

Halo 3 stats just for fun:

Level 50 - Team Slayer and Team Doubles

Got to a 46 in MLG back in '09, and currently level 45 and higher in all ranked playlists.

GhaleonEB

I can see where you're coming from - and I can see why it makes you nervous. But for me, it's ALWAYS been like this - even with stock vanilla Halo (is there such a thing?).

Say I'm fighting someone, and I have help. I get two shots put on me, and because of the help, the other guy dies. I turn to round a corner, and there's a guy in front of me. I have NO IDEA how much health he has - if he's been in a battle recently, if he's fresh, any of that - but I know that I'm down two shots. But he's facing away from me. Do I take the chance and start shooting him, hoping that I get enough shots into him before he turns that I have a chance of winning the battle (even if he's fresh)... or do I fade away and wait until my shields are back up?

The answer to this question has ALWAYS been variable for me. Do I feel 'on' in this game? Do I have host? Am I running low on ammo anyway? There are a million variables, and I process them in every encounter, mostly by instinct.

To me, a faster recharge (it's not hugely faster), a larger ammo clip (it's not hugely larger), the ability to pick up grenades (there probably aren't even grenades to pick up in the area we're fighting, statistically) - all of these things are just more uncertainties in a sea of uncertainties. LIFE is uncertain. I just play.

(I totally understand that I might be in a minority with these opinions - that most (thinking) players might want a bit more concreteness in their Haloverse. I'm okay with that, too. ;) )
Bear in mind I'm coming at this from the viewpoint of a BTB lover, where there are the largest numbers of variables at play and often the longest and most intense firefights. So I see a lot of that as well. But we're evolving from, everyone starts out on equal footing to everyone starting out with different, but not excessively powerful footing (in theory) to players updating their own base traits in invisible ways. It's true that in the maelstrom of combat it can be hard to identify things like oh, he had 10% faster recharge rate, that's why he beat me. But it's just one more variable to add to the mystery of why you lost. I think it will matter.

One thing you said really rings true for me though. I didn't use to care if I was winning or not, until Reach landed. It used to be that as long as I was playing, I was having fun. (Well, most of the time. Caveats apply.) With Reach, I find I can barely ever have fun unless I'm on the team demolishing the other guys, because much of the fun comes from winning; the underlying game is just so much less fun to play (for me). So long as 343 makes the game more fun, I won't really mind this stuff; I just want to have fun.

I don't like Reach MP for many reasons, but high on the list is it often feels unfair, for reasons of game mechanics and armor abilities. My fear is that 343 is going to make the base game mechanics more fun, but will enhance the feeling of unfairness. To me that's really central to Halo, and I am very fearful it's going out the window.

than halo 4 is doomed what made halo different from every shooter was that ranked mattered. Not only that but it could be gained and lost. It is what kept people competitive and kept people playing the game. There is a reason why Halo Reach had such a big drop off. While Reach's game play contributes to it, this was its biggest factor.
I hope they change their mind. They really need to realize it helped make Halo popular.

Agreed tons of people played to get their 50. If they didnt get it they got better and played more. It was one of the driving factors to have kids keep playing. Reach was so random and to had no instant update. Once you hit your Gold/Onyx you have to play then wait a day to see where you are now...we need to know NOW. Plus Arena sucks. Don't copy SC2 because its so similar to Arena in terms of brackets and divisions. Give us 1-50, 1-100. Ban cheaters and let us continue to have our fun. Fuck its not even hard. Do it.

2d0ysd2adtc.gif

It's a sad, sad day for .gifs

Oh. Fuck. =(

Is this somewhat accurate?

No I didn't make it.

AdriftLAYOUT-1.png

Not sure about the layout, but it seems to be missing the man cannons.

Share!

The visibility aspect of it is what made it so popular to begin with (which I know you already are aware of), but it's also what will continue to drive people to exploit it (which I know you already are aware of). Would you rather have a system in place that is popular enough for people to work so hard to exploit it or a system that no one cares enough about to exploit? I know you would like to have the best of both worlds, but to me at least, it would seem like creating the more popular system would be a better choice than a system no one wants to participate in.

I posted this before in the past, but with the Halo 3 ranking system I felt like everything I did in a match mattered. If I was guarding the flag and let someone pop in and snag it, that was going to hurt me.. hurt our team.. hurt my rank (that I worked so hard for so long to achieve). Every little mistake you made could really hurt you and it may take hours or days to regain that ground you lost. It was intense and that's what made it great... because the visibility was tied to it. Something I could point to as a trophy or reward for my (and our) success. In Reach, it doesn't matter what I do. I could play as competitively as possible or drive around on a mongoose shooting a needler in the air and the effect is the same. I don't feel like it matters who wins or who loses the match other than the inherent need to win. And it doesn't.

I think one of the best parts of 3's ranking system versus Arena in Reach is that the team effort inspires players who aren't as good as their teammates to try to excel in a sort of "play your role" kind of way. And that can lead to the success of your team and the possibility of ranking up. In Reach, if my team wins and I play like shit... I get punished. And that certainly makes sense on paper, but it only inspires me to pad my stats in the game rather than do a lot of the intangible stuff that promotes teamwork and can push my team closer to victory. Who cares if we get the most time in the hill if I come out with a +20 k/d and a high daily rating?

I know you know all of these things already, but I'm just trying to figure out why removing that aspect of the game would ever be considered just to remove any possibility of people exploiting it by creating a system people don't care enough about to exploit. I certainly can't speak for others, but these are the reasons I avoid Arena. I hate the thought of participating in a team game that focuses on individual performance (winning cR bonus does nothing for me.. I have 11+ million credits stored up). I don't care to jump in and help out my team because it doesn't matter whether we win or not (for the most part). And on top of that, what am I working towards? A hidden arena rank that doesn't tell anyone anything about my actual skill.. that gets reset every new season?

I miss those days of playing a ranked match where for every second of every match I felt that intense competitiveness where I had to be on point and contribute or my whole team was going to suffer. I don't know.. It just felt like every shot, every second of playing defense, every call out, every time I snagged rockets/sniper for my team, every assist mattered. In Reach, none of those things matter in any playlist. It is something I turn on to mess around in a few playlists here and there and then turn it off for the evening a short time later. Heart rate a steady 75 bpm. I hope Halo 4 can bring back that intensity and have me sitting on the edge of my seat fighting for that last kill, grabbing that last flag cap, guarding that last territory for the win.. heart about to beat out of my chest. This is the kind of shit that made me love this game and always had me coming back for more.

I agree so glad somebody else feels the same.

Can I join the tourney? I haven't played Halo in probably about a year. I know I am new to Halogaf. Mostly lurk and say something here and there. My gamertag: is too much eslim.

feel

Frankie is there going to be a complete do-over on Waypoint sometime between now and Halo 4? No offense but the site is.. not good. I miss Bnet's navigation, snappiness and classy look. :(

Fuchsdh

The fugly default SPIV helmet is growing on me.

Oddly enough, the action figures have made the Halo 4 designs look better to me... usually they're hit-and-miss in regards to accurately replicating the design (in part because of the realities of manufacturing.)

The Elite action figure in particular looked loads better with thicker arms.

Frankie is there going to be a complete do-over on Waypoint sometime between now and Halo 4? No offense but the site is.. not good. I miss Bnet's navigation, snappiness and classy look. :(

I imagine some improvements would come when they added File Shares (sometime this summer, if the timetable still holds?)

But Apple's burned me on Mac Pros today, so I feel no hope in regards to anything right now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

TOO LATE.

kW0v1.jpg

Lots of hard work is going on at every level.

Fuchsdh

Same. Brofist.

We know we suck but god dammit we do it for the love of the game amirite?

Wu says it's okay to suck if you have fun.

I mean basically my only criteria is not having leaver teammates and not getting stomped too bad. With all filters on in Reach I usually get decently competitive teams.

If I was worried about my k/d I'd play more multi team :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom