• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

foXYZ.png

Doesn't matter if it was to be honest. I want to play on the developer maps that I paid for, including DLC. Speaking of which, if there is not a DLC algorithm that work in Halo 4 I won't be buying DLC. I got burned on Reach DLC, I won't get burned again.
No algorithm can fix what you are suggesting. Simple matter of interpolation/extrapolation.
They need to force DLC on several playlists. It's the only way to do it.

Homeboyd

Doesn't matter if it was to be honest. I want to play on the developer maps that I paid for, including DLC. Speaking of which, if there is not a DLC algorithm that work in Halo 4 I won't be buying DLC. I got burned on Reach DLC, I won't get burned again.
I'm actually on your side... I would love to see a community playlist and keep it updated with fresh community maps, removing those that never get voted for. Hopefully the playlist could sustain itself.

The problem we had with Reach was the low initial map count (and it'll be low initially for Halo 4 as well), but we had looooooong droughts of new studio maps between DLC releases. While some people didn't mind playing the same couple of maps over and over again, others wanted to see something new get added. Some love the community maps and think they revitalize playlists while others despise them... and of course there are those who don't really care either way.

If we can see some improvements in Forge where map makers don't have to cut down their maps to the bare bones to run split screen for MM consideration in addition to offering better tools more scenery, it would be a huge improvement. I do have to say the improvement from Halo 3's Forge to Reach's is a massive step in the right direction and I'm certainly excited to see how 343 will improve it from there.

But again, I'm with you. I'd love a community hopper that featured community maps only and keep the rest of these kinds of maps out of other playlists (or always as a last option at worst). With 10 maps at 4's launch, each which is designed for specific playstyles/gametypes, there will be somewhat of a limited selection per playlist. I'm hoping and feeling pretty confident that the DLC will be on a shorter launch schedule than with Reach so it likely won't be too big of an issue. Although the initial 10 maps are going to be AMAZING anyways so it won't be an issue to begin with.

Besides, some people just love to Forge and are very good at it.

Karl2177

But I think it's inevitable that they will update the stats page for Halo 4, and judging by the quality of halowaypoint.com/halo4, I have faith. That sub-site is amazing from a developer's perspective.
It needs to be amazing from an end-user perspective, not just a developer's perspective.

edit: Also, anyone with a question mark by their name, please tell me if you're going to enter. Don't worry, all time zones will be accommodated.

It depends on the time and day for me.

Fracas

#fuckonami
deets are still being hammered out. :)

If you or no one else has any objections, I vote this:

3v3, best of 3, TU Arena Settings
Gametype Order:
Arena Slayer
1 Flag CTF
Tiebreaker: Arena Slayer

Teams are chosen by this method:
After I gather everyone's relevant stats, you and I will put them into pools by skill. Then balance the teams that way.

I'll wait for the Halo 4 tourney since your doing 3 and not Reach.
Hmm? We're doing Reach

Awesome this is my first time doing anything with gaf. so yeah I will be a noob at this. Do I send HaloGaf a friend request?
We'll get to that when we do teams

It needs to be amazing from an end-user perspective, not just a developer's perspective.
Yes, of course. Disregarding load times, which aren't (completely) due to the actual code, I think that the site is generally good all round. The stats are very disorganized, the AJAX is pretty clunky, so it can be a little bit difficult to navigate, but apart from that I don't see too much wrong with it. [The WLID redirect issue is a pretty big problem also, imho.]

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I remember just clicking once like in Reach. I though COD did the same?

Even though I've played hundreds of hours of CoD MP, I can't remember right now

Thanks for the reply. Since it's on the sticks now I was worried they'd changed it up for 4.

Ok, they could reorganize their stats. Bungie did that a little better I think. I liked that cool SVG magic the pulled with this:
spJ9.png

But I think it's inevitable that they will update the stats page for Halo 4, and judging by the quality of halowaypoint.com/halo4, I have faith. That sub-site is amazing from a developer's perspective.
  • Parallaxes
  • HTML5 Video
  • Smooth AJAX jump and scrollTo Navigation
  • Brilliant aesthetic
  • Multiple carousels
  • Well presented information
  • SEO (crawl-able) "Shebang" links. [Albeit hashed for some reason]

I dunno, but I liek it.

The Halo 4 sub-site is pretty damn good, hopefully that is a sign of things to come.

No algorithm can fix what you are suggesting. Simple matter of interpolation/extrapolation.

It's absolutely possible, and has been in other games for years. Call of Duty 4 had it, and it's 5 years old!

Fracas

#fuckonami
As is right now, if everyone on my list actually wants to be in, we're looking at 56 people right now. There's 14 teams of 4, if we go that route.

It's absolutely possible, and has been in other games for years. Call of Duty 4 had it, and it's 5 years old!

EDIT:

To add to this I'm shocked at how content everyone here is to get ripped off on DLC for Halo. You cannot have map packs if you don't have the systems in place to actually implement it. This is unacceptable to have people pay money for maps if you have no way of implementing them so your users can actually play on them. It's the total good enough standard to be okay with that.

Other AAA games have had proper DLC implementation for years, Halo 4 needs it (Reach needed it). There is no way that I pay for Halo 4 DLC without knowing for certain that there are the working algorithms in place for matchmaking that allows me to play the maps I pay for.

So I played Midas today. At least I think it's called Midas. The one with the huge-ass canyon on one side. What an awful map. Nearly all the fighting takes place on the high side of the map, but you can still spawn in the canyon where people can look at you from above on three sides. The movement is essentially restricted to one hallway, and the team at the pride rock-like side can basically rule the entire map. Horrible in its concept and design.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What team does that put me in?

Got to finalize the entrants first. Everyone with a (?) isn't a lock yet. I'll let signups go for a few more days, then kittens and I will assign teams based on skill. We'll let everyone play together and get familiar with each other for maybe a week or so, then the tourney will start.

Bear in mind, all of the above is subject to change. And yeah, I need to make a banner.
Any takers?

TheOddOne

To add to this I'm shocked at how content everyone here is to get ripped off my DLC for Halo. You cannot have map packs if you doesn't have the systems in place to actually implement it. This is unacceptable to have people pay money for maps if you have no way of implementing them so your users can actually play on them. It's the total good enough standard to be okay with that.

Other AAA games have had proper DLC implementation for years, Halo 4 needs it (Reach needed it). There is no way that I pay for Halo 4 DLC without knowing for certain that there are the working algorithms in place for matchmaking that allows me to play the maps I pay for.
Agree with this too.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Here's the most updated list I have now, still adding stats:
Gamertag is same as GAF username, unless stated otherwise. WP=Win percentage.

monsterfracas: BPR=85 K/D=1.57 WP=62%
kittens (shanti 666): BPR=91 K/D=1.67 WP=61%
ryaaan14: BPR=34 K/D=.65 WP=56%
thezerofire: BPR=90 K/D=1.55 WP=67%
heckfu: BPR=59 K/D=1.09 WP=65%
Wahrer Machine: BPR=45 K/D=.96 WP%=49%
CyReN (CyReN CE) (?): BPR=68 K/D=1.21 WP=60%
Franklinator (Franklinaut): BPR=66 K/D=1.25 WP=58%
Karl2177 (?): BPR=80 K/D=1.47 WP=61%
Ramirez (TJ Ram): BPR=100 K/D=1.79 WP=84%
StalkerUKCG: BPR=69 K/D=1.22 WP=65%
NubInaTub: BPR=88 K/D=1.62 WP=61%
Hypertrooper (?): BPR=76 KD=1.25 WP=70%
daedalius: BPR=81 K/D=1.36 WP=69%
Ravensmash: BPR=36 K/D=.74 WP=48%
HiredN00bs (?): BPR=96 K/D=1.56 WP=73%
JonCha (itsjoncharles)
ElzarTheBam (?): BPR=80 K/D=1.34 WP=70%
Plywood (Xenolock) (?): BPR=100 K/D=2.14 WP=84%
Overdoz1z (?): BPR=100 K/D=2.05 WP=71%
Tha Robbertster (Robbert014)
Fyrewulff: BPR=61 K/D=1.08 WP=68%
Hydranockz: BPR=94 K/D=1.44 WP=81%
Risen (Risen GBG)
EvB (EvilBoris DX)
Louis Wu (?)
dangerbyrnes: BPR=73 K/D=1.35 WL=60%
-Yeti (RebornYeti): BPR = 74 K/D = 1.29 WP = 67.6%
Trey (MGTrey): BPR=85 K/D=1.5 WP=60
Zoso Achilles
daedalius: BPR=82 K/D=1.37 WP=69%
Blue Ninja
Shadders (FlawlessC0wboy)
Slightly Live
789shadow (GUFU789shadow)
Falagard
Zalinkrow
Cabbie: BPR=82 KD=1.48 WL=56%
Demoncarnotaur
Sikamikanico
zap (nzapster)

Here's the most updated list I have now, still adding stats:
Gamertag is same as GAF username, unless stated otherwise. WP=Win percentage.

monsterfracas: BPR=85 K/D=1.57 WP=62%
kittens (shanti 666): BPR=91 K/D=1.67 WP=61%
ryaaan14: BPR=34 K/D=.65 WP=56%
thezerofire: BPR=90 K/D=1.55 WP=67%
heckfu: BPR=59 K/D=1.09 WP=65%
Wahrer Machine: BPR=45 K/D=.96 WP%=49%
CyReN (CyReN CE) (?): BPR=68 K/D=1.21 WP=60%
Franklinator (Franklinaut): BPR=66 K/D=1.25 WP=58%
Karl2177 (?): BPR=80 K/D=1.47 WP=61%
Ramirez (TJ Ram): BPR=100 K/D=1.79 WP=84%
StalkerUKCG: BPR=69 K/D=1.22 WP=65%
NubInaTub: BPR=88 K/D=1.62 WP=61%
Hypertrooper (?): BPR=76 KD=1.25 WP=70%
daedalius: BPR=81 K/D=1.36 WP=69%
Ravensmash: BPR=36 K/D=.74 WP=48%
HiredN00bs (?): BPR=96 K/D=1.56 WP=73%
JonCha (itsjoncharles)
ElzarTheBam (?): BPR=80 K/D=1.34 WP=70%
Plywood (Xenolock) (?): BPR=100 K/D=2.14 WP=84%
Overdoz1z (?): BPR=100 K/D=2.05 WP=71%
Tha Robbertster (Robbert014)
Fyrewulff: BPR=61 K/D=1.08 WP=68%
Hydranockz: BPR=94 K/D=1.44 WP=81%
Risen (Risen GBG)
EvB (EvilBoris DX)
Louis Wu (?)
dangerbyrnes: BPR=73 K/D=1.35 WL=60%
-Yeti (RebornYeti): BPR = 74 K/D = 1.29 WP = 67.6%
Trey (MGTrey): BPR=85 K/D=1.5 WP=60
Zoso Achilles
daedalius: BPR=82 K/D=1.37 WP=69%
Blue Ninja
Shadders (FlawlessC0wboy)
Slightly Live
789shadow (GUFU789shadow)
Falagard
Zalinkrow
Cabbie: BPR=82 KD=1.48 WL=56%
Demoncarnotaur
Sikamikanico
zap (nzapster)

Check your pms.

EDIT:

To add to this I'm shocked at how content everyone here is to get ripped off on DLC for Halo. You cannot have map packs if you don't have the systems in place to actually implement it. This is unacceptable to have people pay money for maps if you have no way of implementing them so your users can actually play on them. It's the total good enough standard to be okay with that.

Either way, there's no better solution to maintain populations across each playlist than to force it on (a) playlist(s). Every time you filter during a search, you exponentially decrease your search space. That's basic applied maths. If you force DLC on a playlist, MORE people will buy DLC, and populations will be stable.

Trey

To add to this I'm shocked at how content everyone here is to get ripped off on DLC for Halo.

True story; I played the Mythic Map Pack for Halo 3 like maybe 3 times each, all told. I got them with ODST, so they were just bonus in my mind I guess.

FyreWulff

Gotta disagree. It's really confusing on some areas, really hard to find things. There entire stat section needs some dramatic overhaul.

If only there were some way people could make their own stats sites if 343 didn't supply all the features and style they want.

In fact, what'd make it even better is if it was a JSON endpoint that you could just poll without wasting bandwidth.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I'm watching Alien for the first time(I rented it on FiOS On demand) and I'm all the way at the end,
She shoots that fuckin thing and it falls out of the ship. It's dangling now.
and then the feed times out. I go to resume play and it starts from the beginning. It would seriously take 25 minutes to forward to that part again. Can someone link me that last few minutes on youtube or some shit so I can watch it. I'm so fuckin pissed

Frankie. API soon pls.

I mostly play BTB alone:

LiZXz.png
That brings me to another point regarding Waypoint stats. Too many figures, not enough graphs, bars, comparators, etc. They are presenting data, not information. B.net presented information on the overview and a couple of other pages, and data separately (in a relatively informative way) on other pages (Medals, Weapons, Enemies, Commendations, etc.)
They should learn from that.

Waypoint:
spYR.png

Bungie:
spZb.png

--
Waypoint:
sq02.png

Bungie:
spZC.png

...etc.

API please, I'll write my own stats site!

Either way, there's no better solution to maintain populations across each playlist than to force it on (a) playlist(s). Every time you filter during a search, you exponentially decrease your search space. That's basic applied maths. If you force DLC on a playlist, MORE people will buy DLC, and populations will be stable.

You still have to do it though. COD has been doing it for years, and it works perfectly. And don't say that COD has many more players because that have a 100 playlists in their games and a solid number of them have very small numbers, like a few hundred at a time. You could put in an exception rule where if there is only a certain number of people in a searching pool, than the system will combine you with people that don't have the DLC, but 99% of the time, you should be matched up against people that have the same set of maps as you.

Locking out playlists just drops the population dramatically, I'm not sure how much it makes people buy the DLC. I also don't think it's right to force people to buy DLC to play core playlists.

You don't have to force people to buy DLC to put it in playlists, just match people with DLC against each other. Like COD does.

Yep

I will repeat, it is a slap in the face to your loyal consumer by not having good DLC implementation in place. Those are your dedicated customers, that are paying more than $60 for their game, you can't just hang them out to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom