• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Q&A

Q: I'm very interested in the multiplayer! I loved the way the ranking systems were done in Halo 2, and wasn’t as happy with the ranking systems in Halo 3. Would there be a chance that they would bring back a similar ranking system in Halo 4 like it was in Halo 2? It felt more competitive and fun in Halo 2 to reach a 35+ level.

A: We have a different career progression model in Halo 4 that spans traditional MP as well as Spartan Ops. It should be a satisfying measure of experience AND skill, but we will have more to say about that and other stat tracking at a later time.

I'm not sure whether to be pleased or displeased, I WANT to beli343 that it will have something to do with skill, but then Reach's matchmaking happened and I got scarred.

EDIT: Overall, very pleased with the Q&A and can't wait for H4.. why does November have to be so far away?

Maybe for you.

Lets say this game ships late 2013 early 2014 (being optimistic) If Halo 4 does not go full reach
you never go full reach
then its still going to be Very active around that time period.

Top 5 XBL games easy (reach currently sits a 6).

The very last thing any company wants to do is have the player base split across 2 games like that.

And honestly IMO the CE map pack for Reach was great id gladly take a Halo 2 Map pack for Halo 4 providing it ends up being a fun game. Having 2 "current" halo titles is not something i want to do and launching another MP title that close to the launch of the last game kind of undermines all the work that would of been put in.

TL:DR Split player base sucks, Halo 2 MP is broke, Halo 2 Map pack is more likely and frankly preferable.

Agreed, although I would like it to have multi. There's not a chance of Microsoft releasing a competing Halo game to compete with Halo 4. It wouldn't make any sense, haha.

If they included Halo 2 multiplayer, but you could play it offline/LAN only, that would be awesome.

Maybe for you.

Lets say this game ships late 2013 early 2014 (being optimistic) If Halo 4 does not go full reach
you never go full reach

The very last thing any company wants to do is have the player base split across 2 games like that.

And honestly IMO the CE map pack for Reach was great id gladly take a Halo 2 Map pack for Halo 4 providing it ends up being a fun game. Having 2 "current" halo titles is not something i want to do and launching another MP title that close to the launch of the last game kind of undermines all the work that would of been put in.

TL:DR Split player base sucks, Halo 2 MP is broke, Halo 2 Map pack is more likely and frankly preferable.

343: We don't want to split the fanbase.
Splits fanbase with playlists.

Maybe for you.

you never go full reach

There'd have to be an anniversary gametype. Vanilla Halo 4 would never work on Halo 2 maps. Can you imagine sprint on lockout?

Maybe for you.

you never go full reach

tZOS8.gif

That said, I have no interest in a Halo 2 remake because they won't do multiplayer. The only thing that might be cool is if they wanted to a re-skinned campaign, release that as a $15 downloadable game for Xbox Next 720 Infinity.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Team Ireland.map/FyreKrow,

What are your available dates for the tourney? Considering: "All of these games must be completed by Sunday, July 8th at 11:59 PM CST"

tags: Hydranockz, Slightly Live , Fyrewulff , Zalinkrow

There'd have to be an anniversary gametype. Vanilla Halo 4 would never work on Halo 2 maps. Can you imagine sprint on lockout?

Oh absolutely. Im curious is sprint can be disabled in Halo 4 via custom options, my guess is yes.

Anniversary gametype would be fine, In fact it probably what the "classic" gametype is that 343 has alluded to. No sprint, Set Loadout(s), 3Sec Spawns ect

Nando13

I don't think they'll want to take players away from Halo 4 MP. It would be a blow to the momentum they're trying to build and carry forward into Halo 5 and 6.

What if they just add a hardcore playlist like they did with Halo Anniversary map pack? Only BR + no sprint + fast movement.

Enfinit

Yeah, there's no way it's happening.
It'd be sweet if they did strictly only campaign or only multiplayer, then released it as an Arcade title.

As much fun as Halo 2's multiplayer was, I can't see them doing it and separating the Halo 4 population. The campaign was great as well, but it's definitely not as memorable as Halo CE's.

I'd rather them come out with something like ODST, something related but totally different. If it does happen, it's only a matter of time until Halo 3 Anniversary comes out.

What if they just add a hardcore playlist like they did with Halo Anniversary map pack? Only BR + no sprint + fast movement.

That is the likely scenario in this case. Its a much better alternative if you ask me.

For the record while I rank Halo 2 as the lowest id easily replay it in HD with a makeover like CE

Oh absolutely. Im curious is sprint can be disabled in Halo 4 via custom options, my guess is yes.

Anniversary gametype would be fine, In fact it probably what the "classic" gametype is that 343 has alluded to. No sprint, Set Loadout(s), 3Sec Spawns ect

The problem, then, lies in the fact that those maps would be more or less useless in the regular playlists. Which is kind of stupid.

lilty

I hope there isn't a Halo 2 remake. I don't want Halo to become like Pokemon where every generation we're re-playing a game from 2 generations ago. It makes no sense.

I don't want a Halo 2 map pack either. As much as I love those old maps, it's time for some new maps that are actually good. I think Reach had maybe two good maps and that's just not acceptable.

I hope there isn't a Halo 2 remake. I don't want Halo to become like Pokemon where every generation we're re-playing a game from 2 generations ago. It makes no sense.

I don't want a Halo 2 map pack either. As much as I love those old maps, it's time for some new maps that are actually good. I think Reach had maybe two good maps and that's just not acceptable.

I'll agree there. Let's stop relying on trying to shoehorn new game mechanics onto classic maps, and actually come up with some good ones that ship with the game.

As much as I loved Halo 2, I fucking LOVED it, it was my favorite game of all time hands down... I agree.

We need new content, WoW is currently recycling content and that's not working out well for them either. People want the new shininess subconsciously

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd rather them come out with something like ODST, something related but totally different. If it does happen, it's only a matter of time until Halo 3 Anniversary comes out.
I don't really care about getting a remade H2 campaign, either. Just re-release it on XBLA without the ghosting glitch, and call it a day.

And yeah, after the awesomeness of ODST, I'd love to see 343 make a Halo 4 side story. But maybe that's what future Spartan Ops seasons will be?

Ryaaan14

Banned
Halo 2 needs a facelift more than CE did. I've always thought it was by far the ugliest Halo game. Muddy textures throughout, and drab environments.

Eh, I love Battle Canyon as much as Beaver Creek. Good remakes are possible.

7 Power weapons.

Battle Canyon would be fantastic without that egregious mistake though, it's too bad there isn't 4v4 objective in Reach either. 5v5 is awful on maps like this one.

I didnt care much for CE Anniversary, I was falling asleep by the end of that campaign. Game was a steaming turd mixed with hot wet garbage.

I think I would like to play H2 with the new graphics and such though. I think cause thats when I hopped onto Halo and that is Halo to me.

Its like a timing thing, people like what Halo was to them. Then they dont want change after that.

The problem, then, lies in the fact that those maps would be more or less useless in the regular playlists. Which is kind of stupid.

Smaller maps are much more likely to get screwed over by this than the larger ones. For the most part maps like Coagulation and Waterworks could be put into regular playlists without too many issues if any.

Where as midship,lockout and foundation are going to be broken for infinity slayer due to the size.

I suppose its all down to how 343 handle the issue and the track record is not good for this kind of thing.

I figure even though infinity slayer is the primary mode for H4 its well within reason to assume 343 have play tested various classic variations that strip halo back to its core mechanics and we will certainly see some type of hopper involving it in matchmaking at some point.

They have to factor in the possibility infinity slayer goes tits up and is hated and people want classic style halo back and i doubt they are going to want to patch that in like they had to try and do with reach.

I didnt care much for CE Anniversary, I was falling asleep by the end of that campaign. Game was a steaming turd mixed with hot wet garbage.

I think I would like to play H2 with the new graphics and such though. I think cause thats when I hopped onto Halo and that is Halo to me.

Its like a timing thing, people like what Halo was to them. Then they dont want change after that.

Your CE:A stream was a good watch, It was nice to see the issue's someone fresh to the game had.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
7 Power weapons.

Battle Canyon would be fantastic without that egregious mistake though, it's too bad there isn't 4v4 objective in Reach either. 5v5 is awful on maps like this one.
Yeah, putting seven power weapons on the map was a terrible decision. But the map itself is still great... Except for Jetpack, per usual.

lilty

I figure even though infinity slayer is the primary mode for H4 its well within reason to assume 343 have play tested various classic variations that strip halo back to its core mechanics and we will certainly see some type of hopper involving it in matchmaking at some point.

I'm pretty sure bs angel posted in a bulletin that there will be a classic hopper on launch.

RIP Infinity Slayer

Yeah if true i can see myself spending the majority of my time in that playlist.

I like the idea of having alternate slayer types as a way to break the fatigue of slayer after slayer game.

Reach does this wrong because it fucks around with how the weapon behave.

Am I the only one who thinks halo 2's campaign is the best? if they make a halo 2 anniversary i would buy it for the campaign alone. plus the campaign needs to be fixed for the xbox 360 anyway. with the ghosting problem it's almost unplayable.

Yeah if true i can see myself spending the majority of my time in that playlist.

I like the idea of having alternate slayer types as a way to break the fatigue of slayer after slayer game.

Reach does this wrong because it fucks around with how the weapon behave.

I see myself trying out infinity for funsies/achievements but for all my serious halo playin' I'd definitely head to the classic hopper.

I wouldn't put away Infinity Slayer that quickly. It must test pretty well and be pretty fun if it's still in versus traditional slayer. I think it'll probably be worth a shot

Don't be surprised if Theater is exactly the same. You have to be realistic about production priorities, and putting in uber-fringe features into theater are probably not high on the priority list.

A Youtube upload feature would probably be a part of the file share though, not a direct Theater feature.

I would be surprised actually. We're hearing that Forge has been improved, MM has been improved, Spec Op's is an evolution of Firefight etc. For them to dump Reach's (in one case retrograde) Theatre into Halo 4, unchanged, would be curious.

I also don't think party viewing is an uber-fringe feature. Only losers go to the cinema alone; you're supposed to go with a group of friends
;)

I would be surprised actually. We're hearing that Forge has been improved, MM has been improved, Spec Op's is an evolution of Firefight etc. For them to dump Reach's (in one case retrograde) Theatre into Halo 4, unchanged, would be curious.

I also don't think party viewing is an uber-fringe feature. Only losers go to the cinema alone; you're supposed to go with a group of friends
;)

Henery, check your messages!

Let's not kid ourselves, we all know any "classic" hoppers will be a ghost town.

Eventually, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom