• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're in Fairfield, at a hotel 2 miles from the Jelly Belly factory; we're doing a tour in the morning and then tearing on up I-5 North, probably crossing into Oregon by tomorrow night. I haven't looked to see how close we get to the bay. Were I driving solo, I'd swing by but with the kids in tow we probably won't be stopping much; we're all ready to be home right now. :(

I know the feeling, long stretches of driving will do that to you. Drove from Seattle to Fresno once, and took the scenic route through the redwoods. Suffice to say, didn't take the redwoods route back north.

GhaleonEB

I know the feeling, long stretches of driving will do that to you. Drove from Seattle to Fresno once, and took the scenic route through the redwoods. Suffice to say, didn't take the redwoods route back north.

Hah, that's exactly what we did. Seeing the redwoods was incredible, and I'm glad we did it (we drove and explored on foot some of the Avenue of the Giants). But there sure wasn't any debate about which route to take back up. :lol

Among the many things I'm looking forward to when I get back: Halo, and lots of it.

Chief has had a few two many doughnuts.

also, that last one is really strange. like what is it?

EDIT: maybe one of the librarians repopulation ships? could be an early earth. and her ships are reseeding the planet with humans.

Looks like earth but Humanity didnt know about the forerunner technology after the first contact right ? so maybe is an outer colony

Ramirez

Oh, that live action commercial played before the movie as well, felt good to see the Chief on the big screen again, the rest of it was eh though. :p

Good games Acceptable games everyone. Our combined time in black screen was probably equal to the longest game we played. Thanks Reach!

This tourney is a good thing if only for the fact that without it I would probably be playing almost no Halo (aside from maybe wrapping up my Legendary ODST playthrough) until November.

At least 'fracas got a Perfecto.

Good games Acceptable games everyone. Our combined time in black screen was probably equal to the longest game we played. Thanks Reach!

This tourney is a good thing if only for the fact that without it I would probably be playing almost no Halo (aside from maybe wrapping up my Legendary ODST playthrough) until November.

At least 'fracas got a Perfecto.

Yeah those black screens were getting pr

tPlTj.png

etty ridiculous. And you got robbed out of 2 possible perfections, yourself.

Yeah those black screens were getting pr

tPlTj.png

etty ridiculous. And you got robbed out of 2 possible perfections, yourself.

"Wait, are you guys in GAF? I'm not, I'm still black-screened, oh wait I'm in GAF, nope, back to black screen. Can you post? Are you posting?".

Thank FSM that shit is limited to Reach.

If they get the classic playlist right it might do really well, with reach the classic playlist still plays too much like reach and not enough like classic halo for it to be any good.

But they can't get it right. Look at all the variables in H4 that we already know about, and look at how many ways that "classic" could be defined at this point. There is no way that they can make people happy with their classic playlist.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If there is a classic playlist, it'll do better than Reach's classic playlist, but it will still be one of the least played playlists.

Although I can easily seeing it being my main playlist a few months after launch.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Why do you think so?

Reach's "classic" wasn't actually classic. It was Reach with a few altered settings. Bloom and lack of bleedthrough prevented that playlist from feeling anything like classic Halo.

We already know that Halo 4 has no bloom, bleedthrough is back, and movement seems similar to previous Halos. The foundation is there. The people who actually want to play normal Halo (like me) will see this and play it, whereas in Reach, people played it for a little, realized it was just a slightly altered version of Reach, and moved on. Or at least that was my experience.

That's actually the only thing keeping me excited for Halo 4 multiplayer, is the removal of bloom/addition of bleedthrough, normal movement settings. Everything else....well, I guess we'll just see. Regardless of what happens between now and launch, I'm getting the LE at midnight November 6th.

edit: sort of related, but not really: what do you guys think the first playlist on the matchmaking screen will be?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The shitty Forge remakes didn't help Reach's "Classic" playlist.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Playlist management can't make a game, but it can sure break it. 343 hasn't exactly inspired confidence with their handling of Reach's playlists. I hope they do better with their own creation.\

PS: Was there a weekly bulletin this week?

CyReN

Playlist management can't make a game, but it can sure break it. 343 hasn't exactly inspired confidence with their handling of Reach's playlists. I hope they do better with their own creation.\

PS: Was there a weekly bulletin this week?

Comes out today at 12pm est.

My idea I posted in a past OT was that Infinity gametypes would be the first option, vanilla would be second, and then DLC could be the third option or something. OR it could be Infinity first, some sort of mixed option similar to reach (albeit streamlined; still specializations, etc. just no ordinance drops or anything too too new like instant respawns) and then barebones vanilla in third.

BUT these three options would only be this way in social; ranked would have barebones first, mixed second, and infinity third. Presumably this would help with playlist splintering too.

Reach's "classic" wasn't actually classic. It was Reach with a few altered settings. Bloom and lack of bleedthrough prevented that playlist from feeling anything like classic Halo.

We already know that Halo 4 has no bloom, bleedthrough is back, and movement seems similar to previous Halos. The foundation is there. The people who actually want to play normal Halo (like me) will see this and play it, whereas in Reach, people played it for a little, realized it was just a slightly altered version of Reach, and moved on. Or at least that was my experience.

That's actually the only thing keeping me excited for Halo 4 multiplayer, is the removal of bloom/addition of bleedthrough, normal movement settings. Everything else....well, I guess we'll just see. Regardless of what happens between now and launch, I'm getting the LE at midnight November 6th.

edit: sort of related, but not really: what do you guys think the first playlist on the matchmaking screen will be?

Fair enough, but what you're describing makes as little difference from the base game to the majority of the general population as Reach's "classic" did. Point is, "classic" is for the hardcore member of your franchise, and by the time that H4 drops "classic" is going to have so many definitions that no single hardcore "I want to play classic Halo" player will be satisfied with what the classic playlist is.

First playlist will be a 'Team Slayer' playlist, and yes that will include Infinity Slayer and Slayer.

And yes, bulletin at 9AM Best Coast tomorrow, though there is no July playlist update.

My idea I posted in a past OT was that Infinity game types would be the first option, vanilla would be second, and then DLC could be the third option or something. OR it could be Infinity first, some sort of mixed option similar to reach (albeit streamlined; still specializations, etc. just no ordinance drops or anything too too new like instantly respawns) and then barebones vanilla in third.

BUT these three options would only be this way in social; ranked would have barebones first, mixed second, and infinity third. Presumably this would help with playlist splintering too.

why is your shirt off?

Fracas

#fuckonami
I need to get a pic for Real Pic July.

Then again, I am not an attractive person.
I do have a sweet beard though.

My question is, will Infinity be a separate subset of playlists?
I really hope not. I'm also worried as to how far the Infinity features will go. BTB Infinity Slayer would be an absolute joke. Same for Infinity objective matches.

Think so? You are like the king of "adaption". I figure you'll adjust fast and dong hard for a good year and a half all while telling HaloGAF to shut up and play.
I was gonna say I think it's a tie between Juices and Tashi. Both master adapters imo.
If they get the classic playlist right it might do really well, with reach the classic playlist still plays too much like reach and not enough like classic halo for it to be any good.
That's the problem with adding a bunch of unecessary additions to a game and then not being willing to go back on it because you might offend some new fans... Best way to turn a great game into a watered down mediocre piece of wolf crap.

Anyway, I'm up and at em on this fine dark morning. What's everyone up to?
blue-moon-wolf-full.jpg

So maybe I'm being a little lazy right now, but can someone explain Infinity? Isn't that just what 343 is calling Halo4's matchmaking? But then they're also calling the multiplayer side "war games." So what am I missing?
Is this a junior-esque post? I'm sorry for letting the wolf pack down

EDIT: Nevermind. I think I got it now... Where have I been and what have I been smoking?
INFINITY SLAYER
A new twist on the traditional Slayer experience that now allows Spartans to earn points during the course of a match which can eventually be leveraged to call in ordnance from overhead. Ordnance drops within Infinity Slayer consist of three selectable but randomly generated weapons or power-ups, the latter which can alter the Spartans speed, shielding, or ability to issue damage.

So maybe I'm being a little lazy right now, but can someone explain Infinity? Isn't that just what 343 is calling Halo4's matchmaking? But then they're also calling the multiplayer side "war games." So what am I missing?
Is this a junior-esque post? I'm sorry for letting the wolf pack down

War Games is what 343 are calling the versus multiplayer suite. Infinity Slayer is a slayer game-type that includes a personal ordnance system that rewards players with power-ups, weapons, etc. Infinity Slayer doesn't replace more traditional Slayer game-types.

Infinity is also the name of the UNSC ship that War Games takes place on (holodeck).

I played some Modern Warfare 3 multiplayer a little bit ago.

lol
You lol'd at yourself I'm guessing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom