• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarmerr

If the netcode was up to par with Reach (or hell, the BR was hitscan), I'd still play it. It's simply a better game to me, and the maps are leagues better than what's in Reach...

I feel the maps are a huge part of why I feel h3 is much better than reach.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Incoming.

Halo 3's maps got a lot of shit on GAF, until Reach came out. Everything is relative.

You guys are crazy, Halo 3 maps rule. Even Isolation is bearable. (IMO)

Also, I have a thing for asymmetrical maps. Last Resort and High Ground...so good.

wwm0nkey

Also, I have a thing for asymmetrical maps. Last Resort and High Ground...so good.

Coming off of Halo 2's constant quality maps (maybe besides Backwash if you didnt play Predator) some of Halo 3's maps were "meh" but nowhere near as bad as Reach's maps.

Halo Wikis and the ForwardUntoDawn website helped clarify certain parts of the Forerunner Saga that provides Intel and Theory to speculate Halo 4's Story.

There is mention of such a device responsible for
Taking the consciousness and implementing within another vessel. My theory is that the Ur-Didact's physical body had been taken as a host by another conscious. While the essence of the previous Didact remains within Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting.
Or assuming by Greg Bears Silentium description Overview.
There's an Imposter.

pls. pls pls pls plszzz. I really hope it's already done, and going to be released next month.

Coming off of Halo 2's constant quality maps (maybe besides Backwash if you didnt play Predator) some of Halo 3's maps were "meh" but nowhere near as bad as Reach's maps.

I think we were really spoiled with Halo 2's maps. Besides the last map pack which I never really played, all of the maps were a blast to play on. Halo 3's just weren't as fun for me. I liked some of them alot, but then there were some that just sucked ass.

IHaveIce

Banned
isolation, epitaph, snowbound, orbital..... uhm, i think that's it. i never really minded playing on anything else.

still not as bad as most of reach's maps. for instance id rather play on orbital than swordbase.
Totally agree. These are the worst maps for me in Halo 3 with some foundry and sandbox variants, but I don't hate them and they are waaaay better than most of Reach's maps.

Oh I would !

Swarmerr

Care to elaborate on this one?

Personally I feel that citadel is awful for 4v4 team slayer. The sight lines are odd, for instance you get to see base to base but very few opportunities for kills due to the fact the br is not crazy effective at that range plus the columns get in the way. Attacking either base is extremely awkward because of the height advantage the base gets. If you attack from sniper (the base's sniper) you have a wide open area to cross that leaves you vulnerable. If you attack from bubbleshield side you are almost completely cut off from support from your team, (pretty much the same attacking from sniper)

Finally it is possible to attack from top mid but again you are completely exposed and have very little potential for backup, due to lack of shooting lanes.

Basically to attack someone holding down a base you need to have your full team with you and that leaves you open for someone to hit you from the back. (plus holding down base is very safe due to back shotgun room and the lack of shooting lanes into the base)

@david ellis tweet, yes, yes and ummm yes!

wwm0nkey

I think we were really spoiled with Halo 2's maps. Besides the last map pack which I never really played, all of the maps were a blast to play on. Halo 3's just weren't as fun for me. I liked some of them alot, but then there were some that just sucked ass.

All I want is for a game to spoil us with maps again like Halo 2, constant quality and they always showed up in MM due to them going free after awhile.

I will also take a Turf, Terminal, Containment and Waterworks remake as well lol

Fuchsdh

All I want is for a game to spoil us with maps again like Halo 2, constant quality and they always showed up in MM due to them going free after awhile.

I will also take a Turf, Terminal, Containment and Waterworks remake as well lol

I'm not sure a Turf remake would work with sprint. The BTB maps shouldn't be as big an issue of scaling up appropriately, though. Terminal had a lot of "extraneous" space (wouldn't call it wasted) that it wouldn't be too much of an issue, I guess.

GhaleonEB

I always thought Halo 3 had great maps, with a handful of clunkers in the mix. Halo 2's great strength was in the small and medium sized maps (Sanctuary, Midship, etc.) and on one-sided BTB maps (Relic, Terminal, Headlong). But Halo 3 had a lot of solid maps and I think the best symmetric BTB maps in the series.

Reach didn't get a good map until DLC, and then only a couple.

I miss these days.. Hopefully the Limited Edition sells a lot of copies so more people have access to the DLC maps once they're released.

I always thought Halo 3 had great maps, with a handful of clunkers in the mix. Halo 2's great strength was in the small and medium sized maps (Sanctuary, Midship, etc.) and on one-sided BTB maps (Relic, Terminal, Headlong). But Halo 3 had a lot of solid maps and I think the best symmetric BTB maps in the series.

Reach didn't get a good map until DLC, and then only a couple.

In retrospect, I think Halo 3's maps were actually pretty decent, it was just the gameplay I didn't like as much. I think the thing that makes Reach different from the other Halo games is that years down the line I don't see my opinion of the maps changing due to nostalgia. I just don't see myself saying "damn, Powerhouse is actually a pretty good map in a bad game"

raindoc

"Scared" never came into it. Offensive Bias was likely "immune" to the same corruption that Mendicant fell prey to. Offensive didn't really care about Forerunners, or the rules of war, he was there to stop the Flood and crush MB. And so he did. He left a shard of MB as essentially a powerless token. I'm sure in that limited capacity and thousands of years Bias had a chance to think about what he'd done under the Gravemind's influence and possibly achieve stability.

i put the "scared" in modalizing quotes for a reason. he wasn't scared, but he still did it to protect himself and his mission. it was a safety measure, which is why i doubt that OB took any chances by having direct contact with MB - and he would have had a lot of that in order to convince MB of his wrongdoings - Forerunner tried talking sense into MB before, to no avail - this makes it unlikely that OB could have done that and as you say yourself: it was not part of his mission.

i do not deny the possibility that MB "wakes up" one day and his rampancy, along with every reason the gravemind had given him to turn rampant in the first place, is gone - but i also see other possibilities, some of which make more, or at least just as much sense to me. hence i'm more interested in MB's motivations, than his actions.

(i might just start getting paranoid, but the more i think about it, the more i distrust MB.
looking at H4, he could control Promethean Knights, he could use the Infinity to leave that planet, he could still work for the Ancient Evil.
could he have used his "defeat" to infiltrate the remaining Forerunner defenses, preparing for the return of the Flood as promised in Primordium?
what happened to Offensive Bias, why did only one of MB's fragments turn up at the Ark?)

Why he changed his mind and why he decided to help the Master Chief are two different, though similar in some respects, questions. I have no idea which you want me to focus on or what you want to discuss..

the reason why he helps MC is to make amends, i am and always have been talking about MB's motivation to make those amends - why did he change sides again?
i'm sorry if i caused confusion, i thought that point was clear.

Here's the thing with biggy's ban, though: when I run across people on XBL who've been mute-banned, I see the little circle-with-the-slash next to their name - and I can choose to manually unmute them. mastrbiggy has no such symbol next to his name - and no way to manually un-mute him. When he logs on with that gamertag, it looks to other players like he doesn't have a mic plugged in at all. (And it's clearly not a hardware issue, because if he logs out of that gamertag and into his temp tag, everything works fine.)

biggy - I'm wondering if you didn't somehow set your audio prefs to ban YOURSELF, or something... or turn on family restrictions, or SOMETHING. Possible?

I wish someone from 343 would weigh in on what might be causing biggy's issue - and whether there's any solution to the problem?
So I decided to check Xbox preferences on Xbox.com for the hell of it. Voice and Text: Blocked. I never a touched those settings.

In fact, it started when you and I were trying to play and matchmaking broke. You joined my party and all of a sudden my mic was gone and so was yours.

Well whatever. Fixed.

Edit: Might change my Xbox password.

heckfu

Banned
So I decided to check Xbox preferences on Xbox.com for the hell of it. Voice and Text: Blocked. I never a touched those settings.

In fact, it started when you and I were trying to play and matchmaking broke. You joined my party and all of a sudden my mic was gone and so was yours.

Well whatever. Fixed.

I'm glad you got it fixed! Can't believe we didn't think of this sooner.

a zoojoo

Banned
should've put a Spiderman picture up. Seems to be the thing to do these days when you have nothing important to say OH SHITTTTTTTT
Shots fired.

Well whatever. Fixed.

Just let me know what the new password is.
i kid.

Every day I pop into the thread with a mission: Accept one piece of advice directly from the community, no questions asked. Today is your day. Your wish is my command.
Barn-Tacular +10

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
No no.... Podcasts and shaky cam footage from conventions and gaming competitions the best way to show off Halo 4.

Every day I pop into the thread with a mission: Accept one piece of advice directly from the community, no questions asked. Today is your day. Your wish is my command.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If the netcode was up to par with Reach (or hell, the BR was hitscan), I'd still play it. It's simply a better game to me, and the maps are leagues better than what's in Reach...
Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. I'd LOVE to play Halo 3 instead of Reach, but the net code makes it really hard to enjoy.

I really hope you're snarkily implying that there's direct feed footage incoming. A full BTS, perhaps?

Pop

Will today be the day guys for Direct Feed?

Speaking of H3, that's all I've been playing lately. Hopped on Reach last night with my cousin, split screening and surprisingly had a blast.

should've put a Spiderman picture up. Seems to be the thing to do these days when you have nothing important to say OH SHITTTTTTTT

images

Thanks for pointing it out zoojoo, I wouldn't have noticed this otherwise ;]

Frank has spoken pretty openly in the threads about the trials and failures of previously integrated matchmaking features. I still feel like the things you mentioned are uncommon, and a little bit unreasonable. Matchmaking is something that can't be scripted, it is something that needs to react and evolve based on user activity. We don't know how many people are going to be spending time in unannounced gametype X, compared to the already confirmed classic playlist or even Infinity Slayer. So what's the purpose in announcing a "communication plan" or "change plan"? Just give us playlists and treat them appropriately I say. I don't give a fuck about matchmaking info 4 months before I even set foot in the game.
While I understand that they probably don't want to talk about matchmaking, playlists, and playlist management plans because they are not final yet, but it's still a serious cause for concern for players and one that we do want to know about whenever possible.

I'll usually buy what Frankie's selling with his fancy words, but even Bungie history with not learning from MM mistakes and what I believe to be very poor playlist management by 343 on Reach, I can't simply believe that the playlist management is going to suddenly be great for Halo 4, and personally it is my largest concern for Halo 4.
How does one get voice banned? By looking at how many people have muted you over time?

Because whenever I'm playing alone I just mute everyone in the pre-game lobby.
You know you can just mute everyone in the audio/video menu. It's what I do when I play by myself.
Why are you yelling at me? So you think they won't change the BR; I hope they do, but I think I agree with you, if nerfing the carbine is anything to go by. I'm curious though, what other changes could they make to it before release other than rate of fire or shots to kill?
I'm not, I just wanted to emphasis my point because several people people jumped on my initial post arguing against a point that I didn't make. I didn't say that I felt the BR shouldn't be a 4sk, I just said wanted to bring up the unlikelihood of that happened because people in this thread have continuously brought it up in a manner that they thing it's actually going to happen. You also bring up a good point in that the Carbine has been nerfed from it's E3, build so I seriously doubt that the BR is going to get a serious buff like decreasing the amount of shots to kill.

I apologize if it felt like I was being hostile, it was certainly not my intent.
There are bad Halo 3 maps?
Oh boy..
Care to elaborate on this one?
Gotta second this, Citadel is a good map.

I don't know what 343i "owes" to the fans, or, more to the point, I think any heated discussion about that can only end badly. However, in regards to 343 being more transparent and open about some of the decisions they make, I think it's beneficial to be that way because, at the very least, I think it will enable the fans to give better feedback. And that can only help the developers.

Of course, on the other end of that, you will have some people not giving any meaningful feedback at all and simply resort to calling 343 "stupid," but I think those same people will do that regardless if 343 is more open about their decisions.
I guess what's implicit in your view is that fans actually do give useful qualitative feedback by describing what they do or don't like (often before release, without the chance to experience the game); everything I've seen points to 343 and Bungie, like most developers, relying most often on a hell of a lot of numbers to get a sense of what is popular or successful or working. And I think that's a recurring tension: hardcore fans say what they like (or more often what they don't) and fight for it, and the developers just point to the large-scale stats or voting or whatever. I mean the truth is we don't know where Frankie, or anyone else at 343, thinks the 'balance' lies between the competing and contradictory interests of fans, hardcore or otherwise; but they do seemingly approach their design as exactly that, a balancing act, whereas Blizzard with Starcraft just set out to make the most competitive game (quasi-sport, even) they can, and then ensure it scales to all levels of play with a robust ranking system. That's something I think about a lot, actually; how FPS these days are slowly undermining their nature as team games in favour of individual rewards and incentives, and drifting further from being fascinating 'e-sports' in their own right.

There is no net benefit to obfuscation except when obfuscation itself is a tactic for engaging the community (ARGs, etc).
I agree with this on the whole, but there is no doubt a horde of marketing and executive personnel at every level who see a benefit in parcelling out information slowly, building hype week by week, being proprietorial about everything because that makes the most business sense to them -- and that's what they've always done. And there's also all sorts of issues, both legal (in terms of copyright) and aesthetic (game designers feel they are 'artists' who are above the usually wildly contradictory demands of the fanbase, and it's hard to say they're wrong), about involving 'amateurs' in the dev process. And there are going to be things even Frankie holds back and tries to explain in pieces because dumping it all out in front of the fans at once is a hard sell. Which he's readily admitted.

It's hard to make that argument that going the Valve direction and giving over so much control of the direction of something and being so responsive to demands (e.g., with Team Fortress 2) is good for the Halo franchise over time, because the business rewards are so diffuse and far-off and difficult to convey to the people holding the purse strings. And Valve, because of the very nature of the PC platform, are able to iterate and evolve game content in a way you just can't do on a closed console box. Each Halo game has given you more ability to tinker with it than the one before, but it's a slow process, and Microsoft are still the gatekeepers of everything.

When you say 343 operates at the "maximum" level of community interaction, that's not so much laudatory as it is depressingly representative of the state of the industry. For a collective that pats itself on the back for being an active consumer experience rather than the passive enjoyment of music or movies, there should be no surprise when communities desire an equitable stake in development.
I totally agree. But I do think Frankie and David offer up as much as and probably more than they can with the constraints placed on them. I wouldn't fault them for any 'obfuscation'; I'd fault the "state of the industry", as you put it, and particularly the people further up the ladder demanding dripfeed marketing plans and immediate sales, rather than the long tail of community involvement and support over, like, a decade that I am very confident Frankie understands. The idea of a community (read: 'consumers') desiring an "equitable stake" is equal measures hilarious and terrifying to marketing bros.

Do they owe us anything? Of course not. It would make our experience better though to know a bit more. *shrugs*
Right, it would make our experience better. But until it's widely understood that it's also better for their experience, and doesn't upend marketing practice and eat into the bottom line this quarter or whatever, there's not much incentive for them to give us more.

(Sorry for these long posts, guys, I know it interferes with your regularly scheduled bitching about juniors.)

Swarmerr

I know clans are probably not gonna happen in h4 but wouldn't it be really cool if 343 tracked stats of a group of people that you play with.

For instance if you have a set group of guys to play with in the team slayer playlist. If 343 could track your record (win percentage) and maybe even assign your "team" a skill based rank and have this information placed in your service record, wouldn't that be sick? (other things that 343 could possibly track is like your greatest victory, for example it puts in your service record the best team your squad beat) It could also connect with how there are different squad on the infinity like the demon squads and other names of squads we saw in the e3 demo of war games.

One more thing, if a player could choose what their featured squad would be (like the squad you want shown on your service record) it would allow for players that make clan or team changes to show their current team on their service record.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
While I understand that they probably don't want to talk about matchmaking, playlists, and playlist management plans because they are not final yet, but it's still a serious cause for concern for players and one that we do want to know about whenever possible.

I'll usually buy what Frankie's selling with his fancy words, but even Bungie history with not learning from MM mistakes and what I believe to be very poor playlist management by 343 on Reach, I can't simply believe that the playlist management is going to suddenly be great for Halo 4, and personally it is my largest concern for Halo 4.

It's a reasonable concern. Matchmaking is like being a DJ at a Wedding - you can hook people with the old crowd pleasers - Team Slayer, Bon Jovi - but there are lots of different people at a wedding. Old people, young people, cool people, buttrock fans. A great DJ will pick a playlist that has something for everyone, but adapts to the audience. He or she will start pulling tracks out of his boxes that he thinks the audience is going to like - and when they do, they dance. They have fun. Everyone is happy.

Every now and then he or she will accidentally put in a Macarena or Who Let the Dogs Out, and only Granny Wu will still be dancing, but even she deserves one turn on the floor.

Some of the people at the party will simply plug in their headphones and sit at their own table, head bobbing to MLG, or some other new outfit.

But a great DJ, a truly influential and amazing DJ, will introduce the audience to a track they all love, and that they'll be humming for years.

When our DJs show up at this particular wedding, for the first dance, they'll have a small box of records. Ones they know will work, more or less, and keep people dancing. Adapting to the crowd, growing the selection slowly but keeping it tight, focused, good, that's the hard part. These are new DJs and they have a couple of new tracks.

Cragmire fo leif.

Drop the mic.

Beckx

GG Dax and Beckx.

Did you find out the cause of your connecton problems, Beckx?

I'm hoping it was my router. Updated the firmware And will run some tests later.

The strange part was that it would start okay - I could hear you guys in chat fine, but then it would start to degrade, cutting out every other word, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom