• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT6| I will not allow you to leave this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

a zoojoo

Banned
Indeed, Reach soundtrack is not exactly Halo. Arguably, neither is ODST's soundtrack, but then ODST is ODST and it sounds so good it doesn't matter.
IMO Halo 4 soundtrack sounds mostly good so far but there are some pieces i don't like... but each Halo game has tracks i don't like so it's not a big deal, if the majority sounds good.

Reach's soundtrack was AMAZING imo, but i think it rarely had those moments where you felt, "okay, this is Halo"

Edit: Grifball on channel 1 for RTX feed. Barbara commentating.

Also, Happy Bungie Day!

Louis Wu

Was gone yesterday, so just getting a chance to respond to this now:

Most browsers have the ability to disable GIF's
Unless you mean the ability to disable ALL images, this is false. (I don't know of a SINGLE browser that allows you to disable animated GIFs, while leaving other image types alone.)

And the processor on your computer/phone/viewing device is somewhat irrelevant, as is the network connection you have. (Irrelevant is probably the wrong word. Slower computers and bad connections will always cause problems.) Some browsers are just AWFUL at animated gifs. Anything using the webkit engine, for example (Safari, Chrome, a few others) chokes on larger gifs, no matter HOW fast your computer is, no matter HOW good your connection is.

Bottom line: posting a whole bunch of large GIFs in one post is poor etiquette, even if you're Plywood.

Duncan said he would do it. Don't know what he's doin though.

Also, someone start a thread about that Sir Paul and Marty picture. That photo has photoshop potential.

Working on it now.

Arkham Horror game went WAYYY too long last night. Shouldn't have played Munchkin beforehand. Just woke up.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Was gone yesterday, so just getting a chance to respond to this now:

Unless you mean the ability to disable ALL images, this is false. (I don't know of a SINGLE browser that allows you to disable animated GIFs, while leaving other image types alone.)

And the processor on your computer/phone/viewing device is somewhat irrelevant, as is the network connection you have. (Irrelevant is probably the wrong word. Slower computers and bad connections will always cause problems.) Some browsers are just AWFUL at animated gifs. Anything using the webkit engine, for example (Safari, Chrome, a few others) chokes on larger gifs, no matter HOW fast your computer is, no matter HOW good your connection is.

Bottom line: posting a whole bunch of large GIFs in one post is poor etiquette, even if you're Plywood.

My computer simply renders the first frame when I have a crappy connection, like ona plane. Which is not a feature, but it feels like a feature. Is there a tech person who can explain why an animated Gif of about 700k can simply beggar and destroy Deep Blue?

CyReN

RBJ5w.jpg

FyreWulff

My computer simply renders the first frame when I have a crappy connection, like ona plane. Which is not a feature, but it feels like a feature. Is there a tech person who can explain why an animated Gif of about 700k can simply beggar and destroy Deep Blue?

It's the format itself. Animated gifs are basically a flip book of images that the software and computer basically renders by brute force. It has to redraw the entire image every tick. Versus video, which employs a bunch of visual ans spatial tricks to not actually update the entire image on each frame. Hence why video files of the same content can be up to one third the size, even with sound included.

Tldr HTML5 needs to become more prevalent so people start inclining video like theydo GIFs currently. It would be a lot more friendly to more machines and you'd be able to show more than 256 colors.

This took way to long to type out on an iPad, although I'm getting faster at his. New computer being built today.

it was... it was the worse one of all the halo games he did... ODST being the best...

It wont, maybe it was the campaign fault to not fit the OST but I really liked it, the sadness of losing reach piece by piece and the main theme is good, with Tip of the spear and Ashes to ashes, not the best but still is one of my favorites themes.

Fuchsdh

412baREwWrL.jpg

I really like this shirt. For some reason it reminds me of the Wipeout 3 graphics (which still has one of the best visual designs of a game.)

It wont, maybe it was the campaign fault to not fit the OST but I really liked it, the sadness of losing reach piece by piece and the main theme is good, with Tip of the spear and Ashes to ashes, not the best but still is one of my favorites themes.

Yeah to me the Reach OST simply just isn't as evocative as the moody ODST stuff or the more grand Halo 1 and 3 stuff. Overall I felt the Halo 2 one was just too name-infested and crunchy guitars for me.

Best pieces to me are snippets from "New Alexandria", and probably "At Any Cost".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu6eOO-q59M

It's the format itself. Animated gifs are basically a flip book of images that the software and computer basically renders by brute force. It has to redraw the entire image every tick. Versus video, which employs a bunch of visual ans spatial tricks to not actually update the entire image on each frame. Hence why video files of the same content can be up to one third the size, even with sound included.

Tldr HTML5 needs to become more prevalent so people start inclining video like theydo GIFs currently. It would be a lot more friendly to more machines and you'd be able to show more than 256 colors.

This took way to long to type out on an iPad, although I'm getting faster at his. New computer being built today.

It'd help it if was far easier to encode HTML5 video. Getting my reel to properly output in Firefox was an incredible chore (luckily it's far easier with Chrome and Safari (and theoretically IE 9+).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom