• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

I love that the description included: Which was responsible for $35 million of MLG's venture capital in 2006.

KuGsj.gif

Gazzawa

Agreed, with the emphasise on gunplay and the tools to encourage running and gunning I thought it was one of the more skilful and fun CoDs out there. The others where pretty much Just about abusing the cheap sandbox.

Blah Blah Blah Random tomahawks and poor knife detection.
Killstreaks not adding up took all the fun away.
Dogs were bullshit in World at War, Really Nobsy, Really!
LOL
ODST bitch

At least you're lucky they weren't AFK. Searching solo in FF is worse than general matchmaking.
Not in the slightest.

I'm not sure why you guys even bother going to FF solo, I've never had a good experience in it (not to mention I always have a slight lag because I can never pull host). 99% of the time I need to play FF (which is really only for challenges at this point) it's solely Score Attack. The remaining 1% is if a friend wants to tackle a challenge in Doubles, which rarely happens.

FF can be really fun, just as long as you're not solo (excluding Score Attack).
4 player FF is no fun at all with randoms, but Doubles is where it's at when you want to go in solo. You get the odd asshat who like to vote for 2x Score Attack at the last second, but my experiences with Doubles has always been as much fun as I can expect with Reach's Firefight.

Tawpgun

Playing FF is no fun at all with that netcode. If Spartan Ops has the same issues, it might not be as big a success as it should be.

Fuchsdh

Really, Chess? People wanting CS 1.6 have nothing on those guys .. it's great that you are good at an eleven year old game but things move on.

At the top levels of play chess is basically adhering to a strategy. The game has been played so much literally every possible gambit, skewer, and move has been done and codified. The only interesting thing to me about chess is playing it myself, since I'm not that good, and watching how fast pros can do it.

Video games by their nature allow more flexibility because you're not limited to X number of two-dimensional moves. Still, at some point people are going to find an old game not as interesting.

So yes, if chess were on the MLG poll I'd laugh too, same as I do to those who still cling to Brood War.

FyreWulff

We started moving at 1pm yesterday. The new place is a block and a half from the old place.

We just finished bringing over the last significant piece of stuff to be moved in a bag. We totally underestimated how long it'd take for two of us to walk stuff back and forth :lol

My quads are about to go all HHH on me.

Playing FF is no fun at all with that netcode. If Spartan Ops has the same issues, it might not be as big a success as it should be.

Dat gonna be lockstep

Karl2177

We started moving at 1pm yesterday. The new place is a block and a half from the old place.

We just finished bringing over the last significant piece of stuff to be moved in a bag. We totally underestimated how long it'd take for two of us to walk stuff back and forth :lol

My quads are about to go all HHH on me.

Dat gonna be lockstep
Maybe you can explain, but why does Halo 3 and ODST lockstep not feel as bad as Reach lockstep? Reach's is awful almost everytime I try to play it, whereas Halo 3 and ODST only felt bad when I was trying to go overseas.

FyreWulff

Maybe you can explain, but why does Halo 3 and ODST lockstep not feel as bad as Reach lockstep? Reach's is awful almost everytime I try to play it, whereas Halo 3 and ODST only felt bad when I was trying to go overseas.

The thing about lockstep is it's straight up luck of the draw, and is VERY sensitive to network conditions, since it's essentially brute-force networking.

Things that can determine your input lag in lockstep:

- Wireless internet versus wired
- How many network hops between all players cumulatively
- Open or closed NAT
- Bandwidth congestion (someone else downloading or torrenting)
- Ping, cumulative between all players (this is the thing that really makes or breaks lockstep)

All I know is in one of the Bungie podcasts, they said Reach's netcode takes up significantly less bandwidth than Halo 3. I'll play it safe and say it was a 40% reduction, although I might have heard 60%. The ability to have someone drop out wouldn't add any noticable lag, you're still just networking buttons and they were still using Halo 3's netcode for that, which was their first successful attempt at campaign networking. (They tried it for Halo 2, but it had to be pulled)

I've had awesome Reach sessions, and Reach sessions with 3 second delays on input. Same with ODST. It's all in the environmental variables. I'd go into the tradeoffs between lockstep and asynch if you're interested, but I do need to go and clean the kitchen in the old apartment :lol

The thing about lockstep is it's straight up luck of the draw, and is VERY sensitive to network conditions, since it's essentially brute-force networking.

Things that can determine your input lag in lockstep:

- Wireless internet versus wired
- How many network hops between all players cumulatively
- Open or closed NAT
- Bandwidth congestion (someone else downloading or torrenting)
- Ping, cumulative between all players (this is the thing that really makes or breaks lockstep)

All I know is in one of the Bungie podcasts, they said Reach's netcode takes up significantly less bandwidth than Halo 3. I'll play it safe and say it was a 40% reduction, although I might have heard 60%. The ability to have someone drop out wouldn't add any noticable lag, you're still just networking buttons and they were still using Halo 3's netcode for that, which was their first successful attempt at campaign networking. (They tried it for Halo 2, but it had to be pulled)

I've had awesome Reach sessions, and Reach sessions with 3 second delays on input. Same with ODST. It's all in the environmental variables.
On the network subject, MTW confirmed the auto-sentry to be available at MP, I thought Halo's MP netcode didn't allow for AI's.

Did they just went full wizard mode or what?

FyreWulff

On the network subject, MTW confirmed the the auto-sentry to be available at MP, I thought Halo's MP netcode didn't allow for AI's.

Did they just pulled some wizardy or what?

I doubt it's true AI. It's probably something like the eye on Cold Storage. Just targets the closest biped to it.

Enjoying this discussion but be back in a bit.

Tawpgun

I get that lockstep is necesarry for Halo's engine and complex AI.

But I'd take a downgrade in AI if it meant lag free games. I'd LOVE to play ODST firefight, even Reach firefight, with friends, but it makes it near unplayable.

Overdoziz

Banned
If the netcode for co-op is still as terrible (most of the time) as in Reach then I really don't understand why they put such a big focus on it. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

If the netcode for co-op is still as terrible (most of the time) as in Reach then I really don't understand why they put such a big focus on it. Seems like a recipe for disaster.
Still surprised they haven't talked about the netcode yet, should we assume it's as shitty as Reach's one?

Spartan Ops sounds great and I'm pretty excited about it but if they fail nail the basics then, what's the point?

:/

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I get that lockstep is necesarry for Halo's engine and complex AI.

But I'd take a downgrade in AI if it meant lag free games. I'd LOVE to play ODST firefight, even Reach firefight, with friends, but it makes it near unplayable.
Dedicated servers.
wUMav.png

Akai__

343 said the Halo 4 net code is silky smooth.

I don't know how network tests are handled at Microsoft, but they could let participate foreigners from all over the world or in those countries where people play lots of Halo.

You can't be serious and say netcode is "silky smooth" and only do tests in the USA.

However, if it was global network testing and it is really "silky smooth", then I'm totally okay with it.

Akai__

The code itself is smooth. They said nothing about latency, packet loss, connectivity and so on....

I have no idea when written code is categorized as smooth though.

Code is called good (or silky smooth), when the compute and the storage investment is at a minimum. Learned that in my previous semester in computer science. :)

I really hope they nail it with the spartan ops netcode. Nothing is worse than trying to play firefight with over a second of input lag, it really just kills the mood. I'm not sure how feasible that is with so many external factors weighing in, but hey, beli343.

Oh cool, I'm 11 posts away from member status. I can probably get that today if I wanna be an annoying prick lol

Halo 3 had turrets with (very simple) AI on Snowbound.

Same with Sandbox; they just compensate by giving them ridiculously high damage and have them all cover overlapping areas to make it easier for them to land shots; when you go in one of the corners and have two Sandbox guardian turrets shooting at you, you know you're fucked. It's actually pretty easy to dodge shots as a monitor; just strafe around in elliptical motions and spam your elevation buttons. They'll probably still kill you after a while, but they're meant to handle bigger, slower-moving targets.

I actually remember a game back in Halo 3 called No Man's Land where you had enough shields/health to take four or five shots from the Snowbound turrets, which is good because the entire map took place in the out-of-bounds area. You could still kill people pretty easily (instakill shotties) but everyone kept rushing the middle because there was an Overshield and that was the only way to heal yourself.

Tawpgun

Im dead serious though. If SpOps has a ton of input lag its gonna be terrible and a chore to play.

Also, I am literally the only person in the theater right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom