• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Re-listening you are correct, and it's only competitive. Lockstep is still inherently limited to 3 frames minimum for inputs to be pressed and then processed, while asynch has only 1 frame. This is regardless of how much bandwidth either is using. I guess I was thinking about voice chat bandwidth or something, since it was so restricted in 3.

Trade off here being asynch AI = each AI has the bandwidth cost of a normal player, so if you have 4 players and 12 enemies on the field, you're in BTB territory for latency. Lockstep theoretically supports infinite AI, only limited by the power of your hardware. You'd hit MS's bandwidth restrictions well before you got to Reach's max AI count in asynch Firefight/SPOPS.

Also, for the record - it's possible to do drop in as well under lockstep.

I apologize if I was a bit curt the last time we had this discussion.

I wasn't exactly a saint. :p

Thanks for the details. I'm really interested to see what 343 is doing with the net code for Spartan Ops; it's one of those critical unaddressed details.

Since I saw it requested, I submitted the design to the official NeoGAF store. Waiting for a response from Evil :)

The logo will be black, white and grey. I am looking into possible positioning changes. There would be the standard centered logo, possibly off centered logo that's smaller, and maybe a diagonal logo. I'll mock them up so people can see. Thanks for the positive support with the shirt, it took more work than I thought It would.

Enfinit

Just did.

:)

Since I saw it requested, I submitted the design to the official NeoGAF store. Waiting for a response from Evil :)

The logo will be black, white and grey. I am looking into possible positioning changes. There would be the standard centered logo, possibly off centered logo that's smaller, and maybe a diagonal logo. I'll mock them up so people can see. Thanks for the positive support with the shirt, it took more work than I thought It would.
Would it be possible to have the design smaller and located on the left/right chest, like on a pocket t-shirt? Either that, or a smaller design on the lower right of the shirt?

mhi

I think Halo 4 is running on a modified Reach engine. With that said I would expect the network code to be more similar than different. All Halo games so far have used pretty much the same framework in that regard.

JHall

I think Halo 4 is running on a modified Reach engine. With that said I would expect the network code to be more similar than different. All Halo games so far have used pretty much the same framework in that regard.

Every Halo game has used the same engine. They have continually upgraded it throughout the series.

Here are alternate placement examples.

iILXtWy4mdD7m.png

ir6gp8oBxS19M.png

ixZWr8ujxDi86.png

ibg6D7TZmSCXn5.png

Enfinit

I could've sworn Bungie said they started from the ground up with the Reach engine.

I'm not sure about Reach, but I know Frankie said that they've pretty much gutted out the previous engine and rebuilt it to the point where the Halo 4 engine is nearly completely different.

I mean, it's technically the same engine, but so many modifications have been made that it might as well be considered a different one. Can't remember the interview where he said it, but he definitely did.

I could've sworn Bungie said they started from the ground up with the Reach engine.

They did. Since Reach, the engine has gone through major rehauls. Basically only like 10% of the engine stays entact while things like lighting, rendering, lod systems, etc are completely redone. Every engine in the industry uses previous code because some things aren't needed to be redone like UI and basic network methods.

Do we know if Active Camo is an Armor Ability or an Infinity power up?
Because I just played against a full team of cloakers on Boardwalk.. And it wasn't fun.

Game breaker

L1NETT

Because I just played against a full team of cloakers on Boardwalk.. And it wasn't fun.

An AA I believe. But we have yet to see it in action to see how much it differs from Reach.

Here are alternate placement examples.

All apart from the bottom one look great. Excellent work on the shirt Poison, it looks very nice indeed.

Beckx

Bungie called Reach a "new engine" but like others have said, I assume that it started from existing code base.

Q: So what’s the deal, is this trailer “real” or not?

A: The Halo: Reach trailer was produced directly in our new game engine using real game assets. Because the game is still in the midst of development, which means things like framerate are still in flux, we do something called a “frame dump” that lets us spit out the content, frame by frame, and then compile it back as the video you all saw on Saturday. We can actually run this same cinematic right now, within the latest game build, but it’s not always at the consistent smooth framerate of the final game (yet).

BWU

As for H4:

IGN: Can you talk about what game engine Halo 4 will use?

Spencer: 343 obviously has partnered closely with Bungie for a while. We had been working with them on Halo: Reach and map packs. We started with the code base from Halo, so it's not something we had to re-roll from the beginning. [Chief Technology Officer] David Wu and the team behind the core engine tech inside of 343 have done a lot of work. Halo has always been a unique game with huge outdoor environments but also playing indoor environments at the same time. The technology base isn't 100 percent new, but a ton of work has gone into it by 343.

Phil Spencer at IGN

kylej

Banned
Q: So what’s the deal, is this trailer “real” or not?

A: The Halo: Reach trailer was produced directly in our new game engine using real game assets. Because the game is still in the midst of development, which means things like framerate are still in flux

Lol

One thing I don't get is why camo jams the radar of everyone around the player. Its like having 2 AA's. The jaming of the radar should be camo's drawl back so why punish everyone for a player for using a AA. Jam the radar for the camo user, Not everyone's.

I don't know how network tests are handled at Microsoft, but they could let participate foreigners from all over the world or in those countries where people play lots of Halo.

You can't be serious and say netcode is "silky smooth" and only do tests in the USA.

However, if it was global network testing and it is really "silky smooth", then I'm totally okay with it.
They have employees all over the world, so it's safe to assume they get that in their tests.

Apparently the best way to play Halo before it comes out is be a pro for a league that doesn't even have Halo on its roster.

As for the Halo engine, people covered it, but I think of it as they gut the engine for the new game, and build new systems and assets in the existing engine framework.

Woorloog

Banned
One thing I don't get is why camo jams the radar of everyone around the player. Its like having 2 AA's. The jaming of the radar should be camo's drawl back so why punish everyone for a player for using a AA. Jam the radar for the camo user, Not everyone's.

Basically.
Maybe some screen blur too? Or something to make using Camo even harder.

Alternatively, as someone suggested, choose beetween camo and shiels.

It really should be a power-up. The reason it jams radar for the user and enemies is because it would be overpowered otherwise. If it didn't jam enemies' radar, they would have no indication someone is invisible nearby. If it didn't jam the user's radar, they would have too much awareness, i.e. not enough drawback for using the AA.

Enfinit

If active camo didn't jam the enemy's radar, then they'd have no warning if there's someone using active camo around them. Camo could just sit crouched in a corner and wait for people to come by. They're not using their radar, and the enemy wouldn't see it coming.

Yea, that's fair and balanced.

JHall

They already have power-ups in Infinity Slayer. Why not place them on the maps in other playlist along with camo?

The only explanation I can think of is they want to eliminate timing for power-ups. That's one thing I never understood, just because one team was getting the power weapons/ups the whole game doesn't mean they were camping.

They just outplayed the other team, which is completely fine.

The only explanation I can think of is they want to eliminate timing for power-ups. That's one thing I never understood, just because one team was getting the power weapons/ups the whole game doesn't mean they were camping.

They just outplayed the other team, which is completely fine.
They could just do the same thing with power ups that they do with power weapons in Halo 4.

JHall

They could just do the same thing with power ups that they do with power weapons in Halo 4.

You mean ordinance drops right? Overshield and Speed boost (I think that's what it's called) are part of those. Now if camo was apart of ordinance drops instead of an AA I think a lot of people would be completely fine with that.

Now I have a question, will ordinance drops be only in Infinity Slayer? I can't imagine playing CTF and having someone stat on their side of the map the entire game just to be rewarded with a power weapon/up. My rage would be endless. There would be absolutely no incentive to push for power positions or the objective and map movement/flow would be really dull.

You mean ordinance drops right? Overshield and Speed boost (I think that's what it's called) are part of those. Now if camo was apart of ordinance drops instead of an AA I think a lot of people would be completely fine with that.

Now I have a question, will ordinance drops be only in Infinity Slayer? I can't imagine playing CTF and having someone stat on their side of the map the entire game just to be rewarded with a power weapon/up. My rage would be endless. There would be absolutely no incentive to push for power positions or the objective and map movement/flow would be really dull.

The personal ordnance (points filling meter) is Infinity gametypes only.
The global ordnance is just the new weapon drop system, instead of simply appearing in static positions at static times.
(pretty sure old system is still possible through forge though)

The personal ordnance (points filling meter) is Infinity gametypes only.
The global ordnance is just the new weapon drop system, instead of simply appearing in static positions at static times.
(pretty sure old system is still possible through forge though)

Infinity Slayer - Population 84,000
Team Slayer - Population 840

Halo 4 coming November 6th.

I know that camo is still around due to nostalgia its in every Halo. In all reality invisible players in a shooting game is just dumb.

I've been apprehensive about posting even though I've been approved for quite some time because of the massive amount of juniors in here. My name is Crimson Kopite and I'm from Alabama, 24 years old, etc.

I've played with some of you before but didn't really love Reach so I didn't play a ton, really just waiting on Halo 4. The only reason I posted was to compliment YourExWife on that gif...just masterful.

Again, sorry that I'm a junior but I'm funny or something. And blame Heckfu, he's the one who brought me here.

Infinity Slayer - Population 84,000
Team Slayer - Population 840

Halo 4 coming November 6th.

I think Infinity Slayer would work fine as the only "Team Slayer" playlist.
With Team Hardcore being a mix of classic Slayer and Objective, scratching the "classic" itch for competitive players.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Very true.

Separate Infinity Slayer and "Team Slayer" playlists would be incredibly stupid.

I bet there'll be a Team Slayer and Infinity Slayer playlist, plus an "Infinity Skirmish" that's a mix of 5v5 Slayer and Objective. At the very least, I would guess Team Slayer and Infinity Slayer will be separate playlists.

heckfu

Banned
I've been apprehensive about posting even though I've been approved for quite some time because of the massive amount of juniors in here. My name is Crimson Kopite and I'm from Alabama, 24 years old, etc.

I've played with some of you before but didn't really love Reach so I didn't play a ton, really just waiting on Halo 4. The only reason I posted was to compliment YourExWife on that gif...just masterful.

Again, sorry that I'm a junior but I'm funny or something. And blame Heckfu, he's the one who brought me here.

Awwwwww yeahhhhhh

Awwwwww yeahhhhhh

JuniorFu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom