• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

The problem is the pro players have too much pride (which I can't really hate). So they are going to play with what they are comfortable and won't try other things.

That was the MLG community in a nutshell. I've brought it up before, but when I was helping people test their ATLAS submission back in the Halo 3 days, I had a couple of people lament that they tried to get their map submitted to MLG, but they couldnt' get MLG players to playtest the maps because they weren't in the current rotation, so they'd just ignore the invites. One even tried a night where he'd alternate between current rotation maps and new community maps, and people would just quit once the new map was loaded up. So he had to rework it for general matchmaking re: weapon layout since you couldn't submit MLG maps via ATLAS (and you can't do it via the Cartographer process either)

ZalinKrow

I agree... Thruster's thrust is way too small, hologram is just dumb, hardlight sheild is okay, PV seems pretty good. Autosentry sounds kind of useless, and Regen field sounds okay.

Looks like I'll be using jetpack...

Whaaat? Hologram is genius. Fooling people with it is one of the best things ever :p I always thought hologram was a great addition.

Team Objective is already confirmed to be 5v5 as the new standard. I thought that was kinda odd, but seeing how large these maps are in general, that seems to be the only way to go.

DeadNames

Banned
Whaaat? Hologram is genius. Fooling people with it is one of the best things ever :p I always thought hologram was a great addition.

It could be amazing... If it didn't just walk in a straight line, constantly hitting things :p... But messing around with it is amazing. Full party + uniform armor + hologram + BTB = Good times.

I think when it's shot, it should have shield glow and flinch like a normal Spartan would.

darthbob

I agree... Thruster's thrust is way too small, hologram is just dumb, hardlight sheild is okay, PV seems pretty good. Autosentry sounds kind of useless, and Regen field sounds okay.

Looks like I'll be using jetpack...

Hologram is arguably the most balanced AA.

Overdoziz

Banned
Hologram is only useful for the first time you use it in a match. After that people know you're using it and it becomes practically worthless.

Are you a fan of anything that isn't a symmetrical Halo 2 map with only rockets and sniper as power weapon spawns?

I was never too much of a fan of the run for the power weapons game in H2 but at least BRs mitigated some of that bullshit. I recall dumbass spawn camping on Burial Mounds because the default spawn was SMG against two snipers (you could scoop up beam if you bumrushed blue), rockets and sword.

I await whatever stupid shit H4 has to offer right off the bat like every other Halo game.

All the new AA's, and perks, and tacts, make the game sound like it is going to be a huge clusterfuck. When I saw gamplay it was nothing of the sort. They try to balance all this crap out until it is useless. Then you are back to vanilla Halo. The circle of life.

Enfinit

Anyone going?

O1LS

GhaleonEB

In all honesty though, that Firefight customization menu is a jungle. I'm glad to have the options available at least.

And while sorely underutilized, there very much is a spectrum available in matchmaking. I played Firefight Limited yesterday, which was quite different from the Arcadefight game I just played on Beachhead with unlimited sniper and DMR ammo.

Among my concerns for Spartan Ops is that it will be a campaign that does not feature options that span that spectrum.

wwm0nkey

All the new AA's, and perks, and tacts, make the game sound like it is going to be a huge clusterfuck. When I saw gamplay it was nothing of the sort. They try to balance all this crap out until it is useless. Then you are back to vanilla Halo. The circle of life.

the AAs in Halo 4 are very passive and work with the game, their effects (haven't tried camo or jet back) are good but not hugely gameplay altering like in Reach.

ZalinKrow

Hologram is only useful for the first time you use it in a match. After that people know you're using it and it becomes practically worthless.

Not if they're bad guests, then you can watch the hilarity ensue! (Sadly this counts for teammates too, I've seen guys on my own team chase down my hologram and then repeatedly melee it) But yeah, for the most part people won't get fooled too often. But I like mixing it up and switching to it a few times in a match.

the AAs in Halo 4 are very passive and work with the game, their effects (haven't tried camo or jet back) are good but not hugely gameplay altering like in Reach.

I know you've played the game but how sure can you be of this? I mean, nobody is really going to abuse any AA's at an event, right? I think we'll really see how annoying some of the AA's can be when they're used in a matchmaking environment.

wwm0nkey

I know you've played the game but how sure can you be of this? I mean, nobody is really going to abuse any AA's at an event, right? I think we'll really see how annoying some of the AA's can be when they're used in a matchmaking environment.

Hologram is just as effective as it was in Reach, maybe a bit more

Hardlight shield is ONLY useful against 1 sided attacks

If you are not near cover trust wont save your ass.

again there are 3 that I havent used yet so I can not say how it will be in the full game.

Enfinit

I drove through Arkansas last summer en route from the gulf to Montana and it was miserable. It was then I swore I would never return.

Arkansas seems like a terrible place, aside from Colorado.

Also did a quick Google search on "Glitch Con." Other than Steve Downes, seems like it'll suck.

Among my concerns for Spartan Ops is that it will be a campaign that does not feature options that span that spectrum.
That's a big one for me, too. I like the potential variety Firefight has in how you can play it, and I hope there's some way other than campaign skulls to fill that void.

daedalius

Why? Would you say the MLG guys 'abused' Promethean vision?

What level do you need to get to before its 'abuse' or 'exploitation'? Camo sniping from the rock on Hemo?

again there are 3 that I havent used yet so I can not say how it will be in the full game.

What level do you need to get to before its 'abuse' or 'exploitation'? Camo sniping from the rock on Hemo?

People will find ways to abuse these things. Maybe not right off the bat but you're both underestimating people's ability to cheese.

Thrusters and holograms aren't things I'm worried about, but I think people will find ways to completely abuse hard light shields. We've already seen a guy hiding in a corner with the hard light shield making him basically untouchable except for grenades (which won't in the game as much as in the previous games since you can't pick them up from dead bodies without a perk)

And then there are still the Jetpack, camo, regen field, auto turret and promethean vision.

They did use it a lot, but they still didn't use it outside of its intended purpose. In Reach, armor lock and jetpack are abused, they aren't used as intended by Bungie (At least, I hope they didn't intend it). I haven't seen anyone abuse armor lock or jetpack at an event before Reach's release from the videos I've watched and neither have I seen any real abuse of any Halo 4 AA during any events.

daedalius

Thrusters and holograms aren't things I'm worried about, but I think people will find ways to completely abuse hard light shields. We've already seen a guy hiding in a corner with the hard light shield making him basically untouchable except for grenades (which won't in the game as much as in the previous games since you can't pick them up from dead bodies without a perk)

And then there are still the Jetpack, camo, regen field, auto turret and promethean vision.

So putting your back to a wall for the 5 seconds hardlight shield lasts is exploiting?

Oh, also you can kill them with a single grenade or melee if their shields are down, through the hard light shield, but its exploiting.

Camo sniping is about the only 'exploitative' thing I can think of. And no one can even comment on the AAs we haven't seen, so don't. There is a difference between 'not liking' something, and it being an 'exploit'. Cheese is about equal to 'not liking' something.

BigShow36

So putting your back to a wall for the 5 seconds hardlight shield lasts is exploiting?

Oh, also you can kill them with a single grenade or melee if their shields are down, through the hard light shield, but its exploiting.

Camo sniping is about the only 'exploitative' thing I can think of. And no one can even comment on the AAs we haven't seen, so don't.

I'm not terribly concerned about "exploitation," I'm concerned that the AA's will simply slow the game down. Armor Lock wasn't "abused," but it was literally a pause button in MP that also blocked everything. Hardlight shields slow the game down, people seeing through walls slows the game down, a turret blocking an entrance slows the game down, people camo camping slows the game down.

Halo is already slow enough.

Tawpgun

Camo sniping is about the only 'exploitative' thing I can think of. And no one can even comment on the AAs we haven't seen, so don't.

Armor Lock wasn't terribly exploitative too. It just ruined combat. Hard Light shield has the potential, to do the same, just not on the same scale.

Also, Jetpack is pretty exploitative in its nature.

Then we have things like regen barriers and auto sentries. Yeah, we don't know exactly how their work, but by their name alone you can see how they can lead to some problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom