• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah mine is the exact same, except I don't have any more than one option in the second panel anyway:

Not even bothering to censor my name since it's so common that like 3 other HaloGAFers have it :p

Hmm and you got new drivers and not whatever came on disc?

Settings look right.

Perhaps you have a physical hookup wrong...? Maybe draw your setup in paint?

BM's are bitches to get working in my experience but great once they are.

GhaleonEB

I always thought Jorge was more Eastern European-y despite the spelling of his name. I remember watching on of the Bungie Reach panels (at PAX, maybe?) and one of the audience questions was how he was disappointed that Jorge wasn't Hispanic, and that the lack of Hispanic culture in Halo concerns him (or something like that).

I think that's why he's able to speak Hungarian to the civilian at the end of the first mission.

Karl2177

That's how Halo has always been. It's a sandbox shooter; it gives you a point to get to and gives you toys to play with and smart enemies to mutilate. Reach does this very well. Five games of the same thing does start to wear thin.

343 is here to save the day with Metroid. Excited.
Oh of course, but the designs and story backgrounds for the design choices have been better in past Halo games. I believe Ghaleon made a post on it in the Halo 3 thread about "the overarching story of Halo 3 was lackluster, but its microstories or the reason to go from one encounter to the next were much better than the other games." I think that still rings true, and in turn directly applies to the gameplay at hand.

I'm gonna use ONI Sword Base as example: the mission consists of clearing out an area. Nothing happens as a result other than you are asked to push out and get communications online and reactivate an AA battery. That gameplay that I just did feels really unimportant. Meanwhile I have communication from my Spartan squad as well as the other troopers. If I reactivate the AA gun, then there's still going to be enemies at the base. It really makes the player feel like their actions were meaningless.

And most of the missions follow a similar feeling of "Does my action here really affect anything in the long term story or the short term gameplay?" There wasn't much that was great about the first few missions. Tip of the Spear had a new low for Halo having the on-the-rails section, but it had the potential for having an incredible high with Spire. But limited amounts of AI dampened what could have been an amazing sandbox gameplay section. LNoS suffers from each section being far to short to get any sort of enjoyment out of it. Exodus and New Alexandria are probably the best missions in the game, but that's not saying a whole lot(Don't get me wrong here though. These are probably on par with missions like Crow's Nest and the next to last Arbiter mission in Halo 2). And the last 2 missions are mainly Firefight sections with some uninteresting pushes between sections.

Enfinit

^The point at the guy before he mimes jiggling the balls takes that gif from great to legendary.

That man is the legendary HBK, also known as the Heart Break Kid, also known as the Showstopper, also known as Sexy Boy, also known as Mr. Wrestlemania, also known as Shawn Michaels. And he did that live on television.

It was glorious.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Pixel getting a lion-cut if new news is presented.
Gah, knew I was forgetting something.

Really, really hoping for something neat tomorrow. Something I would really like to see would be the unveiling/thorough explanation of the progressions system. I don't know if a thing like that would be finalized yet, though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
On the flip side, is it just me or did it seem like everyone didn't realize Emile was black until they revealed his voice in the Noble Team/Halsey overview video? Y'know, despite the name?
I thought he was black.

Hopefully that does not make me a racist but the acknowledgement of this comment could incriminate me.

Yeah mine is the exact same, except I don't have any more than one option in the second panel anyway:

Not even bothering to censor my name since it's so common that like 3 other HaloGAFers have it :p

This is going to sound simple, but have you tried removing the BMIS from the USB port, shutting down, restarting, fully boot, plug in, start Media Express?

Also, make sure you're on the "Capture" tab, not the other two.

FyreWulff

This is going to sound simple, but have you tried removing the BMIS from the USB port, shutting down, restarting, fully boot, plug in, start Media Express?

Also, make sure you're on the "Capture" tab, not the other two.

Not in that specific order, no. I'll try it now.

Set up is

360 set to 720p -> Shuttle - > 1080p LED monitor

with separate RCA red/white audio output via the MS breakout cable, but doesn't matter since the 360 sends audio down both anyway.

edit: didn't fix it.

OH I remember that video. Greatest evidence of Halo's long process of getting dumbed down for everyone to play and feel good about themselves. Oh how I wish Halo 1 would have been made for xbox live.

Sad thing is that many people started with either Halo 2 or Halo 3 with investing serious amounts of time into the MP that they forgot how drastic of a change Halo 2 was from Halo 1.

Imagine if Reach was really the first Halo game and things went backwards (in terms of gameplay, mechanics, etc.)? I wonder if the hate between each game would've been in a reversed order too...

Trey

Oh of course, but the designs and story backgrounds for the design choices have been better in past Halo games. I believe Ghaleon made a post on it in the Halo 3 thread about "the overarching story of Halo 3 was lackluster, but its microstories or the reason to go from one encounter to the next were much better than the other games." I think that still rings true, and in turn directly applies to the gameplay at hand.

I'm gonna use ONI Sword Base as example: the mission consists of clearing out an area. Nothing happens as a result other than you are asked to push out and get communications online and reactivate an AA battery. That gameplay that I just did feels really unimportant. Meanwhile I have communication from my Spartan squad as well as the other troopers. If I reactivate the AA gun, then there's still going to be enemies at the base. It really makes the player feel like their actions were meaningless.

And most of the missions follow a similar feeling of "Does my action here really affect anything in the long term story or the short term gameplay?" There wasn't much that was great about the first few missions. Tip of the Spear had a new low for Halo having the on-the-rails section, but it had the potential for having an incredible high with Spire. But limited amounts of AI dampened what could have been an amazing sandbox gameplay section. LNoS suffers from each section being far to short to get any sort of enjoyment out of it. Exodus and New Alexandria are probably the best missions in the game, but that's not saying a whole lot(Don't get me wrong here though. These are probably on par with missions like Crow's Nest and the next to last Arbiter mission in Halo 2). And the last 2 missions are mainly Firefight sections with some uninteresting pushes between sections.

Oh, I give these points up lovely. When I say design, I mean in a practical sense with respect to the encounters. The backdrop and "feel" of the game was off. Nothing seemed to matter, even when epic shit like character deaths or fucking Covenant ships getting MAC'd in orbit. "Oh, cool" and that's it.

The only enemy I felt really took a step back were the Brutes. Although, I haven't played through the campaign since 2010. A retrospective is in order.

GhaleonEB

Actor is british. Speaking as he normally does.

I know that. To clarify, I was referring to Jorge speaking in Hungarian in a cinematic. I assume he could because he (Jorge, the space Marine) spoke Hungarian. I was agreeing with Enfinit's post about Jorge's background.

Karl2177

Oh, I give these points up lovely. When I say design, I mean in a practical sense with respect to the encounters. The backdrop and "feel" of the game was off. Nothing seemed to matter, even when epic shit like character deaths or fucking Covenant ships getting MAC'd in orbit. "Oh, cool" and that's it.

The only enemy I felt really took a step back were the Brutes. Although, I haven't played through the campaign since 2010. A retrospective is in order.

I think I'm gonna start on that tonight. I dunno whether to start with CE or Reach though...

Who is going to EB Expo in Sydney October 5th - 7th?

They have Halo 4 listed under the publishers page

- SNIPPET: XBOX 360 -

Experience these gaming titles:
Halo 4
Forza Horizon
Fable: The Journey
Dance Central 3
Kinect Nat Geo TV
Kinect Sesame Street TV
Nike+ Kinect Training

Enfinit

I know that. To clarify, I was referring to Jorge speaking in Hungarian in a cinematic. I assume he could because he (Jorge, the space Marine) spoke Hungarian. I was agreeing with Enfinit's post about Jorge's background.

Taken from the Halo.wikia:

Pálháza was a city on the UNSC colony world of Reach, and the birthplace of Jorge-052.

Trivia
It is named after Pálháza, a current-day Hungarian town.

Source: http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?cid=24530

Also, if I'm not mistaken, many of Reach's habitants are of Hungarian descent. Although I'm not sure why or how I know that information. DM'ed one of Halopedia's admins about it just to be sure.

GhaleonEB

Also, if I'm not mistaken, many of Reach's habitants are of Hungarian descent. Although I'm not sure why or how I know that information. DM'ed one of Halopedia's admins about it just to be sure.

Correct, the farms in the first mission are Hungarian settlements.

Takes a while to find it in that beard.

WOULD READ AGAIN +10

Also, little tidbit post from Josh:
Holmes.png

Mexican Spartan? Let's be real, there are no hispanics in the future according to Halo canon. Jorge removed that last bit of hope.

Actually Jorge is not a mexican name, it a spanish name from spain.

In the english version of Halo Reach they call him "george" right? they pronunce his name wrong in spanish we say "Hor-Ge".

Tawpgun

WOULD READ AGAIN +10

Also, little tidbit post from Josh:
Holmes.png

I was wondering... SpOps is only going to be available with Xbox Live and an internet connection.

If they allow offline boxes to have content to all the SpOps missions its gonna be a huge spoiler.

FyreWulff

I was wondering... SpOps is only going to be available with Xbox Live and an internet connection.

If they allow offline boxes to have content to all the SpOps missions its gonna be a huge spoiler.

All indications is they won't. Pretty sure if you're not connected to Live, you aren't playing Spartan Ops.

They are of course, going to pre-test and cert the weeks before deployment.. lead times.

Also I give up on this BMIS tonight. Fuck.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You know developers can play through incomplete DLC, right?

I mean, you aren't stupid enough to jump to the silly conclusion that the DLC is 100% finished and ready to ship even before the main game has gone gold.

No, you aren't that stupid.

Slaker117

Pretty sure they already confirmed that you will need a gold account to access new missions.

Who else linked it?? I just saw it for the first time. gif potential is huge.
Not here, I've been linked that vid from various people an alarming number of times in the past week.
It's not even the best dance video on the internet. K-pop sucks, and Nathan Barnatt knows how to get it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxPbgnO81sQ&feature=relmfu
Martin Starr is the shit.
Had to mute the video less than a minute into it.

Spartan Ops is downloaded each week, so offline boxes wont get it, unless they have a Spartan Ops season disc at some point down the road.
You know developers can play through incomplete DLC, right?

I mean, you aren't stupid enough to jump to the silly conclusion that the DLC is 100% finished and ready to ship even before the main game has gone gold.

No, you aren't that stupid.
Agreed with your point, but Spartan Ops isn't really typical DLC because the weekly distribution plan is a huge part of it. They may finish the entire first season by the time the game comes out, but they aren't screwing you on anything as it's all part of the 10 week release plan of the season.
Sorry if this has been covered, but are the other seasons of SpOps going to cost money? If so, how much?

We don't know, but it's safe to assume that if there are more seasons of Spartan Ops, you'll have to pay for them.

TheOddOne

Sorry if this has been covered, but are the other seasons of SpOps going to cost money? If so, how much?
So far the only thing we got solid information on is that season 1 will be free of charge. My guess would be that if a season 2 ever comes, it will be paid plus it will come with a season pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom