• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4iX

tumblr_lszvr3IkLp1qc4mw7.gif

I would like to go dark a little before release but doing stuff with HaloCouncil I cant :/

Don't go two dark.

lol dude I don't really care...

The OG's of GAF hardly ever comment on new jr's and their posting behavior. It's usually guys that just earned their wings. ubu, ibme

Ok I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be Rude.
I just Joined Because I liked halo and this seemed like a good community. I just like talking Halo. I dont get many chances to post and actually get involved in the conversations.

And i try super hard not to double post. As i said before have ADD so sometime i don't think it through and just Post because i try to get my thought out as fast as i can. Or ill forget

Homeboyd

Ok I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be Rude.
I just Joined Because I liked halo and this seemed like a good community. I just like talking Halo. I dont get many chances to post and actually get involved in the conversations.

And i try super hard not to double post. As i said before have ADD so sometime i don't think it through and just Post because i try to get my thought out as fast as i can. Or ill forget
You're good homie. Do whatever, really. You seem like good people.

I post like an asshat most of the time and people put up with me. Or so I believe...

willow ve

Rockets on Powerhouse.

Snipers on Asylum.

Using the grating on Reflection to attack Rocket/Sword.

Sword on Zealot.

Plenty of starting rushes still exist.

Doesn't spawn until 2 or 3 minutes into the match, if I'm remembering right.

Rushes definitely still do exist, though. Powerhouse rockets is the best example. But I do think that powerups helped push that initial rush along. It happens far more often, or more noticeably, in Anniversary than in normal ol' Reach. Beaver Creek or Damnation are good examples, since they have centrally located powerups as well as nearby power weapons.

The problem I have with Reach opening moments is that they are almost always linear. If Powerhouse had a sniper to counter rockets there would be a decision/calculation moment at the beginning. As it stands there is only one rush; everyone get rockets, all else is of secondary concern.

Some of what I miss is symmetrical maps with center placed power weapons and/or asymmetrical power ups. I love the idea of a truly balanced and "fair" map, but still with the timing, calculations, and choices that can make one team completely dominate another based on their knowledge and understanding of which weapon and power up combo is essential to winning.

I post like an asshat most of the time and people put up with me. Or so I believe...

I actually consider you one of the more "real" dudes on here hahah

The problem I have with Reach opening moments is that they are almost always linear. If Powerhouse had a sniper to counter rockets there would be a decision/calculation moment at the beginning. As it stands there is only one rush; everyone get rockets, all else is of secondary concern.

Some of what I miss is symmetrical maps with center placed power weapons and/or asymmetrical power ups. I love the idea of a truly balanced and "fair" map, but still with the timing, calculations, and choices that can make one team completely dominate another based on their knowledge and understanding of which weapon and power up combo is essential to winning.

The more you post, the more I like
<3
you :B

blamite

Anyone else not able to get to their Service Record on Waypoint? All I get is:

"Sorry, we encountered a problem while processing your request."

You guys are a bunch of assholes to make fun of him. Obviously English isn't his first language. I hope...He cooks good food too. Don't you see the benefits of this guy being here? I really like eggs the morning after a cuddle party. Anyways whos around NY?

I think I'm having people over for a NY Halo 4 Release Cuddle Party.

English Is my first Language But. My issue is putting my thoughts down on paper coherently. i think i need to get that DragonFly? Seriously My attention Span Is really small. But im super creative lol

Now onto food

Make some good Tacos as well

Fresh Fish or Marinated Chicken tacos With Cilantro Lime mmmmmmmm

Or Cider plank Salmon with Risotto

Excellent news. Looking forward two meating you/cuddling at the NY Halo 4 Release Party.
Kinda Sad News Im moving Back West to Oregon. Any west coasters Hit me Up IN October

willow ve

Anyone else not able to get to their Service Record on Waypoint? All I get is:

"Sorry, we encountered a problem while processing your request."

It's probably just waypoint being waupoint.

I get those. It's a bug. Just keep refreshing the page :)

Waypoint throws enough errors that I've given up checking anything unless I happen to be there already reading a bulletin
that and L4D2 gets new DLC this week, ergo I'm playing L4D2 now

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Scalper kill Pax events, hope he stubs his big toe tomorrow.

Well he's already caught some shit. He's a junior who doesn't realize that that thread is for GAF members to help each other out. He'll find ebay suitable.

This is a thread I started on the Waypoint forums. I'm curious what GAFers think about it...

Source Thread Link

Don't you want to be able to choose what games and maps you play on?

I enjoy the matchmaking system to find games, for the most part. However I found the veto process with Reach usually ends in me having to play maps or gametypes I don't like.

I'm once again suggesting player toggles/filters for maps & gametypes so the matchmaking system knows which you want to play or not based on your toggle on/off for each. This is in addition to existing filters criteria.

Thanks to Waypoint member 'Viet Honor' this should be for social only where ranked is kept as is for balancing a fair playground. Ranked matches shouldn't cater for one map for one player style or skill etc.

Once a full game is matched then the veto options are easier to predetermine and will reduce quitting while enabling player choice within the matchmaking framework.

Players simply tick/untick what they like. This way matchmaking puts players together who want to play the same maps or gametypes and then veto'ing is also more accurate for the options it displays. This gives choice back to the players without removing the matchmaking system itself, which is what a custom games browser would do.

Players getting more of what they want individually while matching globally and not getting stuck with what others vote for out of the hundreds or thousands of permutations matchmaking veto options present.

This toggle system combines the defaults for new players, provide customisation for player choice, keeps fast game matching, keeps matchmaking overall, keeps skill matching, keeps party matching but introduces a tiered layer of player choice about maps/gametypes.

- Example Player Toggles -
(all YES by default unless switched off by player)

MAPS:
Boardwalk = YES
Boneyard = NO
Countdown = NO
Forge World = YES
Powerhouse = YES
Reflection = YES
Spire = YES
Sword Base = NO
Zealot = YES

GAMETYPES:
Slayer = NO
TU Slayer = YES
Multi Flag (2flag or 3 flag) = YES
One Flag = YES
Neutral Flag = YES
Assault (2bomb) = YES
One Bomb = YES
Oddball = NO
King of the Hill (KOTH) = NO

OTHER FILTERS:
Close Skill = YES
Good Connection = YES

Welcome Ozzy :] - I think it sounds good and all, but imagine how long it would take to match people up if it was accurate and more in-depth than the "preferences" we have now?

Thanks for the welcome.

The thing is most players will leave the defaults so matching for the most part would simply be the same as now.

They already use hoppers and a funneling system for matchmaking. This would extend that and add minimal matching issues. If they streamline the playlists as they are this will help retain player population which in turn speeds up matchmaking as well.

Overall the developer implementation would determine the affects on matchmaking times. however, I program databases/websites and I don't see a huge issue with this.

You could also introduce another new filter which is "strict or widen". Essentially this toggle matchmaking to widen the search parameters the longer the games found/matching process takes. The already do this widening of parameters but adding one more toggle would allow a tiered structure to use these toggles to find excellent matches or fast games. Once again restoring player choice at a number of levels.

This is just a ploy to find custom games. You just renamed Filters as "Toggles".

I disagree. Custom games create the need to download maps/gametypes outside of matchmaking updates and operate outside of the 343i designed/allowed maps/gametypes and settings.

My toggles idea combines the best of custom games browsing and matchmaking to deliver a new hybrid system that is fast and flexible. A small nuance of difference but a very important one.

I disagree. Custom games create the need to download maps/gametypes outside of matchmaking updates and operate outside of the 343i designed/allowed maps/gametypes and settings.

This is combining the best of custom games browsing and matchmaking to deliver a new hybrid system that is fast and flexible. A small nuance of difference but a very important one.

So this system still matches players based on skill-level? I wonder how it would change matching times, surely they would increase?

Me and Imperial just won a game of that 150-0.

In my ideal Halo playing world, I want every single game to end as ALMOST a tie.

That is not how you win Sword Base Oddball...

Letting them get to 149, killing the whole team, and then holding them off until you get 150 in one go is top tier shenanigans.

Also, just thought of something; what if 343 pulls the ultimate troll and the ancient evil voice at the end of the E3 showcase is actually
the remaining Guilty Spark?

So this system still matches players based on skill-level? I wonder how it would change matching times, surely they would increase?

If you set the toggles to strict, close skill and a small number of maps/gametypes then you would be waiting for that match. But if you set all those things then you're obviously happy to wait for a quality game.

When you want fast games you can simply toggle on/off more or less. Simple and provides choice to the players. Something we haven't really had in matchmaking before.

If you set the toggles to strict, close skill and a small number of maps/gametypes then you would be waiting for that match. But if you set all those things then you're obviously happy to wait for a quality game.

When you want fast games you can simply toggle on/off more or less. Simple and provides choice to the players. Something we haven't really had in matchmaking before.

Sometimes player choice is not necessarily a good thing when you have certain goals in mind. Sure it would be nice to perhaps see this type of system in Halo, but I'd want to see the effective data on the most important point to me (higher than map or gametype preference) first before I'm convinced that this is necessarily better than the current vote system. When you give players the choice like this, I think a natural side-effect is that most people will choose something along the lines of Slayer on Lockout only - forever. I imagine that it would effectively skew the population so that other maps and gametypes that the minorities want to play would be much more difficult to find, degrading the experience across the less popular modes.

Sometimes player choice is not necessarily a good thing when you have certain goals in mind. Sure it would be nice to perhaps see this type of system in Halo, but I'd want to see the effective data on the most important point to me (higher than map or gametype preference) first before I'm convinced that this is necessarily better than the current vote system. When you give players the choice like this, I think a natural side-effect is that most people will choose something along the lines of Slayer on Lockout only - forever. I imagine that it would effectively skew the population so that other maps and gametypes that the minorities want to play would be much more difficult to find, degrading the experience across the less popular modes.

That's why I designed it with minimums in mind. So you are forced to select more than just one map and one gametype. It preserves the fast matching, veto pool options and avoids boosting specific maps/gametypes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom