• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unpopular opinion though it may be, I'm against the idea of custom filters for matchmaking and such. You may hate some maps, sure, but you have to take the bad with the good, in my opinion.

I don't want Halo to turn into Rainbow Six: Vegas where people literally played 2 or 3 maps.

Edit: This is also why I preferred the Halo 3 veto system. Every map still got played, more or less. More variety is good, no matter how bad the maps that you don't want to play may be.

Unpopular opinion though it may be, I'm against the idea of custom filters for matchmaking and such. You may hate some maps, sure, but you have to take the bad with the good, in my opinion.

I don't want Halo to turn into Rainbow Six: Vegas where people literally played 2 or 3 maps.

Agreed, honestly. Filters would get too complex with certain gametypes too; you just know certain people would restrict their games to only SWAT Potato on Sword Base, BOOM! Ball on Highlands, Zombie Ghosts on Cragmire, etc.

Edit: This is also why I preferred the Halo 3 veto system. Every map still got played, more or less. More variety is good, no matter how bad the maps that you don't want to play may be.

Agreed, honestly. Filters would get too complex with certain gametypes too; you just know certain people would restrict their games to only SWAT Potato on Sword Base, BOOM! Ball on Highlands, Zombie Ghosts on Cragmire, etc.

Both obviously missed my post about minimums so you can't simply select one map and one gametype over and over.

Say you forced 4 maps and 4 gametypes to be chosen then the matchmaking systems have more than enough to work with. 343i could also tweak this toggle amount over time etc.

I understand your concerns about variety and I agree Halo 2 & 3 kept that variety in there and I was happy with playing my less preferred maps/types. However in Reach and the updated veto system the reality is most players now force a selection of few maps and gametypes, whether it's popular opinion or not it is statistic fact for Reach.

I also believe this has lead to more quitting the longer playlists changes are out.

GhaleonEB

Wait for proper regen details before you get mad.

It's not as bad as you think. Maybe.

I mean seriously, just wait until we're told exactly how the regen operates. It's different.

Sometimes when you know things it's better to not say so. :p

if only this was a thing you could actually do and see in the game
You have my full attention.

Just got off work and checked the last couple pages. Lol at some of these pricks.
Just got back from a star gazing gathering with the kids. We saw the rings on Saturn, my mind was blown.

Thread went crazy while I was out.

Blissful

Neo Member
The real solution is to have good gametypes and good maps so you don't have to worry about playing something that sucks.

The real solution is to have a good competitive ranking system. 1-50 worked, but too bad a small part of the population had to ruin it for all of us

PNut

Banned
Signs that you're playing a super shitty competitive Halo MM playlist........people vote for maps based on initial spawns. Powerhouse, Swordbase, Reflection, and Boardwalk all have super advantage at RED SPAWN in ARENA. How many times as then been brought up?????, REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT but it never changes. Power weapons everywhere for Red spawn. Select was removed for some reason and we'll never know why. Jesus.

Can't wait to see what 343 has in store for competitive playlists in Halo 4. Should be awesome.

1-50 worked, but too bad a small part of the population had to ruin it for all of us

No. That's a myth that's been addressed a thousand times.

The real solution is to have a good competitive ranking system. 1-50 worked, but too bad a small part of the population had to ruin it for all of us

Everyone has their own solution to what they consider is a problem in Halo, and it's not as easy as "fix/add/change x"? Nonsense!

What? How does a ranking system change how much I play on Sword Base or Epitaph?
Signs that you're playing a super shitty competitive Halo MM playlist........people vote for maps based on initial spawns. Powerhouse, Swordbase, Reflection, and Boardwalk all have super advantage at RED SPAWN in ARENA. How many times as then been brought up?????, REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT but it never changes. Power weapons everywhere for Red spawn. Select was removed for some reason and we'll never know why. Jesus.

Can't wait to see what 343 has in store for competitive playlists in Halo 4. Should be awesome.

There are non-forge maps in Arena?

TheOddOne

Dammit, almost spilled my drink.

IMO, 343's handling of news and features related to the game, has been less then satisfactory.
Let’s go back and look at what we got so far promoting Halo 4. It was announced in 2011 with a CGI teaser and it will be the start of a new trilogy. For a long time after that we got tidbits and short videos (like the audio recording) from the waypoint bulletins. Nothing real mind-blowing happens, which can either be related to them focusing on Halo: CE Anniversary, production on Halo 4 was still ongoing (some stuff was still rough) or Reach and Halo brand services were being transitions to 343. During this time it was understandable that not much info came out regarding Halo 4, it was a hectic time with a lot happening – I will cut them some slack on that.

Then Halo fest happened and we got the opening panel video plus the concept art trailer. At this point we still have not seen Halo 4 in motion, just a lot of talk about what they are trying to do with the game. Still buzzwords and all, it was enjoyable and sparked some speculation and discussion. Then the long drought happened, again small tidbits coming from bulletins and GAF. Around march we got the first two in-game campaign screenshots of Halo 4.

Then the Spring Xbox Showcase happens and the Vidoc Halo 4’s First Look is released. The video itself has some good stuff: we see two multiplayer maps, maps will not be recycled from the campaign, introduction of Spartan IV’s, motion capture being done, new audio team building the sounds from scratch and more. All sounds really great and it looks utterly fantastic. We then got another drought.

Halo 4 then graces the cover of Game informer’s April issue. We get tons of information and here is where it also starts to go wrong. The article itself has a wealth of information: Spartan Ops is discussed, new multiplayer mode “Regicide”, drop-in for multiplayer, the armor abilities and much of the cosmetic changes to the hud and overall game. None of what is written makes much sense and people get confused and pissed (rightfully so, in my opinion). We get some clarifications on GAF (of all places) and soothes some minds, but people are still confused. Promised Sparkast with clarifications, while it brings new info to the table, it is all too confusing.

After the article and Sparkast nothing really big happens: Game Informer has some videos that shows some stuff (nothing big though), reveal of the composer, the Conan O’ Brian appearance, Limited Edition revealed, the cover art trailer and release date. The Barn-gate happens, the funniest thing to ever happen to Halo. Then the big thing happens: Halo 4 10 minute on-stage demo, minds are blown at how great it all looks. After that we got a bunch of full length multiplayer MLG videos.

While I support 343 intentions of keeping the single-player under wraps, I am baffled by how they have handled the multiplayer side of it all. I know they want to keep certain things a secret, but at least be upfront on what is known quantity; even on the most basic things we have to struggle to get an answer. Hopefully it is a learning experience.

Marketing for this game has been all over the place, the first two Vidoc’s were actually pretty great, even though they were condensed they felt more upfront on the game. Also the way info has been coming out has been so uncoordinated, there is no balance to all of it.

Ramirez

Imago, Synapse, Pulse, Asylum and Kingdom are decent forge maps.

Uncaged no.

startrek.gif

Good lord, no.

Imago, Synapse, Pulse, Asylum and Kingdom are decent forge maps.

Uncaged no.

I can't agree. At all.

Every forge map in MM is shit to me. Asylum being the only exception, but it's still a crime that Bungie or 343 didn't replace it with an actual faithful Sanctuary remake that always performs much better a long time ago.

Striker

This shit is in multiplayer? And people hated Armor Lock? Why is an ability to bring shields back even included considering your current shields recharge itself in two seconds themselves. Only can laugh at this point. Keep it out of MP, for god's sake. Don't make the mistake Bungie did with the Drop Shield.

Also can't wait to kill/be killed by jetpackers in maps like Haven.

PNut

Banned
I can't agree. At all.

Every forge map in MM is shit to me. Asylum being the only exception, but it's still a crime that Bungie or 343 didn't replace it with an actual faithful Sanctuary remake that always performs much better a long time ago.

Let's just hope in Halo 4 we don't have to rely on the community to make good competitive maps to play on. Out of the 3 maps we've seen so far only one looks halfway fun to play on and it still seems kinda big. Even with full-time sprint.

It's come to the point where competitive Halo people have had to remake Narrows in Reach to play at a tournament.

Pop

I usually assume I'm the only sober player when I go in solo. Postgame score usually reflects that.

I go in solo majority of the time but I'm also not a scrub. I'm the one carrying the team, too bad until now I find out why my teammates have been slacking. :/

Great! Oh, I'll be on reach in about an hour, join me if you want.

Dunno what was up with the netcode today. It was workable the past couple of days.

I found the netcode a lot nicer yesterday, couldn't register any shots the past few days. I'll be up for playing again sort of Sunday so don't give up on it by then!

I'm actually kind of curious as to why we have weird lag considering we are both from the UK, I would have thought it would be equally good or bad for both of us, it seems like it alternates and only 1 of us gets a good connection at a time lol

Woah 24 page long thread already? What the hell is wrong with you people?

wwm0nkey

I found the netcode a lot nicer yesterday, couldn't register any shots the past few days. I'll be up for playing again sort of Sunday so don't give up on it by then!

Woah 24 page long thread already? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Seriously, I left for work and the thread grew 9 pages in 5 hours, shit is hard to keep up with.

Striker

Let's just hope in Halo 4 we don't have to rely on the community to make good competitive maps to play on. Out of the 3 maps we've seen so far only one looks halfway fun to play on and it still seems kinda big. Even with full-time sprint.

It's come to the point where competitive Halo people have had to remake Narrows in Reach to play at a tournament.
It depends who makes them (with Forge, MLG variants have made Pit, Zealot, Countdown, and others better; forge creations in general were good, but ugly in general), and what maps are inducted into MM. You can add crap maps like Enclosed in, but that's no one's fault but Bungie/343 (who keep it in there). We had Bungie's own Smashed in Halo 3's Ranked Team Slayer, and that was a pile of crap, and actually makes Enclosed look like it can be competitive. I'm certain we'll eventually see forged maps in 4's MM - they said initially it will not be, but DLC being nine (?) maps along with the 10 regular maps coming at launch, it's gonna happen.

Jesus I just got betrayed in BTB for sniper kid was doing shit with it. Just got so mad I fucking rage quit.

Holy fucking shit Reach is terrible without a group of players...

I'm starting to believe these are just bots I'm getting on my team.

Theres no possible way people can be this fucking shitty. Theres just no way.

Slaker117

You are certainly not the only one disappointed by the grenade launcher's removal. I was never very good with it, but it was a blast to use and a very dynamic weapon. The few incredibly lucky trick shots I managed to pull with it were some of my favorite moments with Reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom