• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that's seriously offended by the removal (including the reasoning behind the removal) of the Grenade Launcher (Reach's most successful new addition)?

Whatever, about to go to sleep thinking about the disappointment again.. 'night people!

tumblr_m7cdsm9jzm1qbsptn.gif
I think it's a super fun weapon to use, but only because it's also massively OP. I wish 343 would have the balls to remove more things from the game. Given the trend in keeping everything that has ever been added in halo, i'm surprised to see it being taken out. Jetpack should be next, then the rest of the armor abilities, then spread and bloom, and then more of the power weapons. Take out the hammer, the concussion rifle, the focus rifle, and the plasma launcher. Let's get back to roots!

I think it's a super fun weapon to use, but only because it's also massively OP. I wish 343 would have the balls to remove more things from the game. Given the trend in keeping everything that has ever been added in halo, i'm surprised to see it being taken out. Jetpack should be next, then the rest of the armor abilities, then spread and bloom, and then more of the power weapons. Take out the hammer, the concussion rifle, the focus rifle, and the plasma launcher. Let's get back to roots!

I just want to ask you to be sure, what weapon are you talking about that's massively OP?

Yea Reach is fucking terrible.

Have shitty guests and MM all night.

Last game get NZ host everyone yellow bar with so much lag. Two of my teammates drop dub neg bombs.

Say OK lets try MLG. Teammate I get matched up with quits before game even starts.

Dashboard Shut down console.

Fuck.There is a reason the numbers on this game are so low. Thats because it goes out of its way to make you stop playing. I like this game, but I literally have nowhere to go at night when my dongers aint on.

Pop

Last game get NZ host everyone yellow bar with so much lag. Two of my teammates drop dub neg bombs.

Say OK lets try MLG. Teammate I get matched up with quits before game even starts.

Fuck.There is a reason the numbers on this game are so low. Thats because it goes out of its way to make you stop playing. I like this game, but I literally have nowhere to go at night when my dongers aint on.

We could team up if you like. Like Batman and Robin....

GhaleonEB

Has the Plasma Launcher been confirmed to be out? I know it means little, but the newest line of Halo Mega Bloks includes the plasma launcher.

If I had to guess, none of the weapons introduced in Reach will return aside from the DMR. I'd love to see the pro pipe and bacon wave come back, but I'm thinking they're gone at this point.

Why remove the Plasma Launcher, and not the Laser?

Oh that can be removed too, lol. Knew I was leaving something out :)
I just want to ask you to be sure, what weapon are you talking about that's massively OP?
I exaggerated just a bit, but I do think the grenade launcher is stupid easy to get kills with. That's not to say it's not fun to use. It's much better than the laser and a lot of other weapons in the game, and the ability it gives players to bounce the shot off of walls and structure make for some awesome kills. Definitely something fun to watch on a stream too. But I still say it's OP. And if players really want to be douche-E, just put the shot on the ground and hold the trigger until someone walks over it. I don't know. If it was implemented as a power weapon replacement for say the rocket launcher, id be cool with it. but it's not considered a big power weapon and gets thrown onto maps in addition to the plethora of other power weapons and that always annoys me. Just because a weapon is fun to use doesn't excuse it from being OP. I think everyone is giving it a free pass because they love using it. I don't know. I'm weird.
have i let the pack down again? :(

Slaker117

Oh that can be removed too, lol. Knew I was leaving something out :)

I exaggerated just a bit, but I do think the grenade launcher is stupid easy to get kills with. That's not to say it's not fun to use. It's much better than the laser and a lot of other weapons in the game, and the ability it gives players to bounce the shot off of walls and structure make for some awesome kills. Definitely something fun to watch on a stream too. But I still say it's OP. And if players really want to be douche-E, just put the shot on the ground and hold the trigger until someone walks over it. I don't know. If it was implemented as a power weapon replacement for say the rocket launcher, id be cool with it. but it's not considered a big power weapon and gets thrown onto maps in addition to the plethora of other power weapons and that always annoys me.

Luckily we can still achieve that in Halo 4 with the sticky launcher. Evolution. :p

I wonder if Brute weapons, or Brutes themselves for that matter, will make it into the game. If I remember correctly, one of the stories in the Halo: Evolutions (lol) collection implied the Brutes were in a real bad way after the events of Halo 3, so it would make sense from a fiction standpoint if they didn't show up, but they've become such a staple of the series, it would be kind of weird not to have them.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Nothing should return from Reach, not one weapon.

The place got glassed, remember?

Which leads me to: Why is it that Cortana took the DMR schematics off Reach yet never bothered with getting the UNSC to print them things up again until Halo 4?

This is a dire question in need of an official response.

Isn't that SDCC Halo 4 vid being released today? I really want to hear that music in the video again.

Nothing should return from Reach, not one weapon.

The place got glassed, remember?

Which leads me to: Why is it that Cortana took the DMR schematics off Reach yet never bothered with getting the UNSC to print them things up again until Halo 4?

This is a dire question in need of an official response.
Also, why is the Banshee design the same as Reach's?

Halo is dead.

Buddermilk

Neo Member
Luckily we can still still achieve that in Halo 4 with the sticky launcher. Evolution. :p

I wonder if Brute weapons, or Brutes themselves for that matter, will make it into the game. If I remember correctly, one of the stories in the Halo: Evolutions (lol) collection implied the Brutes where in a real bad way after the events of Halo 3, so it would make sense from a fiction standpoint if they didn't show up, but they've become such a stable of the series, it would be kind of weird not to have them.

I'm really hoping the enemy sandbox doesn't only consist of what we have seen so far. 3 covies and 3 prometheans just doesn't seem like enough.

I'm really hoping the enemy sandbox doesn't only consist of what we have seen so far. 3 covies and 3 prometheans just doesn't seem like enough.

I'm just hoping that most weapons from previous games make it in. Would love to see Beam rifle, Silenced SMG, Silenced Pistol and other weapons make a return. The Carbines return was enough to put a smile on my face.

Slaker117

No, you quoted that before I fixed it! So many dumb minor errors!

I should really sleep. And yes, I too hope there is more to the enemy sandbox than what we've seen.

It was sort of like a "How it's Made" video. Not really something for theaters. There are some game tidbits in it as well as some really nice music.

All you wrote was "badass", how would anyone know what you're talking about? Of course people are gonna click it.

The other day Homeboyd said 'guys really really don't check out this thread seriously' without any context so of course you tell somebody not to do something they do it. Got the ending of the DKR spoiled. How difficult was it to just say 'don't check out this thread because it spoils the Batman movie'? Good job, you were deliberately opaque and now the ending's ruined.

Signs that you're playing a super shitty competitive Halo MM playlist........people vote for maps based on initial spawns. Powerhouse, Swordbase, Reflection, and Boardwalk all have super advantage at RED SPAWN in ARENA. How many times as then been brought up?????, REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT but it never changes. Power weapons everywhere for Red spawn. Select was removed for some reason and we'll never know why. Jesus.

Made a post the other day about how easy it would be to remedy this sort of obviously broken map/weapon placement design with Forge. It's seriously embarrassing on Bungie's/343's behalf that this shit remains.

Another one: Anniversary BTB slayer on Headlong. Red Team gets a Banshee and, um, has to take the time to trek up to Red Tower. Blue team gets a superior Gauss Hog and a teleporter that takes them directly into Red Tower, a power position on the map in Slayer. These spawns are fine for One Flag/Bomb. For Slayer they're terribly, terribly imbalanced. Inb4 it's like that because that's the classic setup preserved from Halo 2, there's a bloody Grenade Launcher and DMR on the map for crying out loud.

Yes. I've said it before, based on the teammates it's given me, "The game doesn't want me to play it" so I've ceded to its will and practically stopped.

They could be relying on old equipment due to the broken state of the covenant.

I'm not bothered by it. I just remembered when Wu asked David that question at E3. I found it funny.

Hey, it's not that far of a stretch, if elites can't get a whole set of armor, and grunts can't even get a decent methane mask.
Here is another huge plot hole...

Evolution takes hundreds of thousands of years. Grunts and Jackals simply evolved over the last 4?! Adapt.

those changes are holistic, fyi

natural evolution from grunt to wretch

from bird to gojira

etc, etc

subspecies dawg
Scramble to fit that fiction in, boi!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hey, it's not that far of a stretch, if elites can't get a whole set of armor, and grunts can't even get a decent methane mask.
those changes are holistic, fyi

natural evolution from grunt to wretch

from bird to gojira

etc, etc
Here is another huge plot hole...

Evolution takes hundreds of thousands of years. Grunts and Jackals simply evolved over the last 4?!
subspecies dawg

I exaggerated just a bit, but I do think the grenade launcher is stupid easy to get kills with. That's not to say it's not fun to use. It's much better than the laser and a lot of other weapons in the game, and the ability it gives players to bounce the shot off of walls and structure make for some awesome kills. Definitely something fun to watch on a stream too. But I still say it's OP. And if players really want to be douche-E, just put the shot on the ground and hold the trigger until someone walks over it. I don't know. If it was implemented as a power weapon replacement for say the rocket launcher, id be cool with it. but it's not considered a big power weapon and gets thrown onto maps in addition to the plethora of other power weapons and that always annoys me. Just because a weapon is fun to use doesn't excuse it from being OP. I think everyone is giving it a free pass because they love using it. I don't know. I'm weird.

I disagree with nearly every point.

If it's easy to get kills with, why is that, up to March 31st, you only have twenty kills with it across competitive and arena? For comparison, I have 954 kills with it across competitive and Invasion, and I stopped playing Reach in January.

I don't know how the coolness factor about a weapon makes it overpowered, so I'll skip that.

I think your point about placing the grenade in a specific place to get a kill – and by "douche-E" I assume you mean players are being cheap when they do this – is a flawed point for the weapon being overpowered. Because the grenade bounces, it's very hard to place it on the ground where you want it to be. And, frankly, it takes a lot of patience to wait around for the opportune time – patience not many players have. As a result, not too many of the gun's kills are a result of this tactic. I'd be surprised if you had more than ten deaths, out of 119 according to Bnet, as a result of this course of action.

If it's easy to get kills with, why is that, up to March 31st, you only have twenty kills with it across competitive and arena?

I don't know how the coolness factor about a weapon makes it overpowered, so I'll skip that.

I think your point about placing the grenade in a specific place to get a kill – and by "douche-E" I assume you mean players are being cheap when they do this – is a flawed point for the weapon being overpowered. Because the grenade bounces, it's very hard to place it on the ground where you want it to be. And, frankly, it takes a lot of patience to wait around for the opportune time – patience not many players have. As a result, not too many of the gun's kills are a result of this tactic. I'd be surprised if you had more than ten deaths, out of 119 according to Bnet, as a result of this course of action.
Thank you Daxy-poo. Yes Moony, you let the pack down.

FyreWulff

If it's easy to get kills with, why is that, up to March 31st, you only have twenty kills with it across competitive and arena? For comparison, I have 954 kills with it across competitive and Invasion, and I stopped playing Reach in January.

You know, when Waypoint gets to the point where it's no longer more reliable and useful to link to Bungie.net, which hasn't had it's statistics updated in 4 months now, that will be a glorious day.

What was the point of cutting Bungie off from the feed, again? Waypoint is just straight up unusable in it's current state.

So yeah, 1000 posts since yesterday morning, and I read them all.

I'll give you everything but the bolded. You're asking for an entire program there running ontop of the game that's running on ancient hardware.
You're off Team Downer.

lol

Not in certain gametypes though.

I was playing BTB assault on ridgeline yesterday and got betrayed maybe 13 times while trying to just play the game. One time, however, I got the bomb pretty close to their base before dying only to have one my own teammates attempt to carry it all the way back to our base. I decided to betray him and run the bomb back but when I did, I got booted.
Betrayal booting can be turned on or off, but I believe it always functions in the same manner if it is on. I believe this because I've observed that in Forge it appears to abide by the same rules, despite it being a "custom" environment. Test it out for yourself.

I still believe the single most defining part of a Halo game is its playlists. Playlists eclipse the sandbox. The sandbox does not necessarily have to be balanced as long as the playlists both cater to different communities while remaining malleable enough to switch things up based on feedback. Is the DMR balanced in MLG compared to its ideal role in the sandbox? Not really. Hell, with 85% bloom it's not the same as intended. Is the sword balanced as intended in Living Dead? Is the hammer balanced in Grifball? These are goofy examples, but it shows the power a playlist can have over the sandbox, and how important they are to get right. Total harmonious balance between weapons and armor abilities is fine, but how many playlists offer the ability to use every single element of the game? Outside of Infinity Slayer there will probably be a couple in Halo 4, and most people here will quickly choose what they want to play based on their tastes, not based on what provides the best absolute balance between every part of the game.

I think people need to switch their focus from weapon equality to demanding more from matchmaking management. Different playlists should - within reason - cater to your style of Halo, you should not sacrifice your fun at the behest of one person's idea of balance.
It's a breath of fresh air and certainly welcome to see a straightforward post from you, kylej. It is so true that playlists are powerful game-shaping tools, and should be treated with the proper amount of attention and reverence. You still need a well-designed sandbox to present the default game, which history has shown is what the majority of people will play.

Homeboyd

so of course you tell somebody not to do something they do it.
Well sure, that makes sense. To be fair I assumed if anyone did go check the thread (even though I told them not to), they would see 5 pages of "WTF did I just get TDKR spoilers?!" rather than the one post they were referencing (which was never quoted).

What you're commenting on is the exact opposite. If I said "holy shit, go check this thread out now! It's awesome!" with no context, and led you to spoilers... that's a dick move on my part. But good lord... "don't click this cesspool of a thread" should be an indicator. Next time, no warning. Click threads at your own peril.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom