• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone's posted this, but if you listen to the video without music, during the sniper segment, you can hear the announcer say, "SNAPSHOT!" so I'm assuming that's a quickscope medal or something.

Terrible.

Also, based off the descriptions in the update, sounds like the DMR is OP.
Interesting, what you hear as OP, I hear as a good weapon that I look forward to using.
But forge maps might actually look good this time, and if they play well then it might not be so bad.

They are still Forge maps, I want to play on the Devs maps in MM, not have the playlists shit on by a ton of terrible community maps. Aesthetics aren't the only issue with the Forge maps, there are a ton of Forge maps in Reach MM right now and the main issue is that almost all of them are just bad maps that don't play well, Forge or no.

blamite

So, since Squad DLC is being removed next Tuesday, would anyone be interested in setting up a final achievement lobby before then? I only need the achievement for assassinating a player exiting Armor Lock, but I'm sure there are still plenty of people who need achievements that will be really hard to get after the playlist's gone. We'd need 7 people minimum to get players on both teams.

I don't think all of those are the human weapons... But I could be wrong.

ಠ_ಠ

You enjoyed those weapons?

maybe it's nostalgia but i loved them.

Wait what? Halo 2 pistol made me really sad after h1..

i never played as much CE multiplayer as I wanted to. the smg pistol combo was my favorite, which is now impossible with the removal of dual wielding though.

Homeboyd

We cant still be using our B.net group to organize stuff for Halo 4, right?
Unless Urk & co. give us the boot, I wouldn't see why not. There's a ton of non-Halo, non-Bungie related groups there which is a big draw to the site for a lot of active members. No one knows what the new updates to the site will bring but I think Achronos has mentioned group updates (or at least that they'll get love too), so I don't plan on moving shop. Especially considering we don't have groups at Waypoint.

I really like the group features at B.net and it's where I spend 99% of my time on the site. Great for project management, etc...

So, since Squad DLC is being removed next Tuesday, would anyone be interested in setting up a final achievement lobby before then? I only need the achievement for assassinating a player exiting Armor Lock, but I'm sure there are still plenty of people who need achievements that will be really hard to get after the playlist's gone. We'd need 7 people minimum to get players on both teams.

I'd be down. I'm normally against the boosting and such but some of these achievements are some bullllllshiiiiiiit.

Yeah I'd be down to finish the achievements. I need most of the Anniversary and Defiant ones that were added with the TU.

Never again should achievements be required to be completed on a specific map or specific set of maps.

Interesting, what you hear as OP, I hear as a good weapon that I look forward to using.

They are still Forge maps, I want to play on the Devs maps in MM, not have the playlists shit on by a ton of terrible community maps. Aesthetics aren't the only issue with the Forge maps, there are a ton of Forge maps in Reach MM right now and the main issue is that almost all of them are just bad maps that don't play well, Forge or no.

That is more of a problem with the maps they pick to put into matchmaking, there are plenty of amazing Forge maps that got looked over by Bungie and now 343.

neoism

yeees please I have one fucking stupid achievements left the one where you assassinate an enemy having just come out of Armour Lock...

nillapuddin

Unless Urk & co. give us the boot, I wouldn't see why not. There's a ton of non-Halo, non-Bungie related groups there which is a big draw to the site for a lot of active members. No one knows what the new updates to the site will bring but I think Achronos has mentioned group updates (or at least that they'll get love too), so I don't plan on moving shop. Especially considering we don't have groups at Waypoint.

No doubt they work fantastically well, I just wasnt sure 'we' would be evacuated

Well I guess that rests my mind a little, obviously my forge wheels are turnin again and Ive been checking up on all the group members, I think we will be in even better shape to contribute right away then we were on Reach when it took us awhile to get goin.

if we have a chance I will make sure we nail it this time

edit: in terms of being a legit community source.
not a matchmaking reservoir obviously

It's a 6/10 game at best.
I strongly disagree, but I'm sure you've made up your mind so I ain't gonna argue. Let's just bask in the gifs.

A) 6/10 is not bad.
B) Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaha
6/10 is like a C, almost C-. That's pretty bad. Reach doesn't come close. It may not be the Definitive Halo Made by the People Who Created Halo™, but it's an extremely well put together package. People are letting their bias towards classic Halo cloud their judgement.

In the latest bulletin it was said the pistol animations have been shortened so you can switch weapons, melee or grenade throw faster.

I'm aware of the weapon switching and melee timings from past Halo games but I don't think I've ever noticed grenade throwing being shorter with side arms vs. heavy weapons.

As far as I know grenade timing was always a standard amount, anyone confirm or refute this from previous Halo games?

Quicker grenade throws could be an interesting tactic, although I suspect the online latency has more affect on melee and grenade timings than the weapon animations.

I strongly disagree, but I'm sure you've made up your mind so I ain't gonna argue. Let's just bask in the gifs.

6/10 is like a C, almost C-. That's pretty bad. Reach doesn't come close. It may not be the Definitive Halo Made by the People Who Created Halo™, but it's an extremely well put together package. People are letting their bias towards classic Halo cloud their judgement.

6/10 is slightly above average if you use a scale that isn't absolutely ridiculous.

Noricart

6/10 is slightly above average if you use a scale that isn't absolutely ridiculous.

If every over-hyped game released was scaled back to a 7 or an 8 (even 9) rather than 9s and 10s, a six would be disappointing, which is what Reach is.

Not according the the the US schooling system.
Keep in mind some schools are better/worse than others. And with many other specific variables.

Gaming ten-point scale:
Apt.

Gaming ten-point scale:
1-7: all the same thing. horribad. Hotel Mario shit.
8: Bad.
9.0: bad but the developers sucked the reviewer's e-dick.
9.1-9.4: okay.
9.5: good but not great.
9.6: getting there.
9.7: B+.
9.8: Not bad at all!
9.9: I THINK I CREAMED MYSELF DURING THE TUTORIAL LEVEL IT WAS SO GOOD
10: doesn't really exist despite popular belief. Reserved for super super special exceptions; basically the unicorn of game ratings.

That is more of a problem with the maps they pick to put into matchmaking, there are plenty of amazing Forge maps that got looked over by Bungie and now 343.

True, but I don't see how that automatically changes. I think that a small amount of Forge maps should rotate through a community Forge map playlist, and then perhaps if a variant is universally loved, and perhaps goes through some tweaks as well, then and only then is it added to general lists, and each core list should only ever have a couple forge maps tops.

I still rather just play developer maps.

Released

I think the pistol having quicker animations could be interesting.

I always liked how in CE there was quite a difference in melee animation length between the pistol and the AR, making the AR much more advantageous to use in close quarters. Along with the momentum damage multipliers (why was this ever removed again?), I think it gave some nice depth to the melee system.

Keep in mind some schools are better/worse than others. And with many other specific variables.

You got my point in your post.

Though to be honest getting one point over half wrong in a test is not a good thing.

True, but I don't see how that automatically changes. I think that a small amount of Forge maps should rotate through a community Forge map playlist, and then perhaps if a variant is universally loved, and perhaps goes through some tweaks as well, then and only then is it added to general lists, and each core list should only ever have a couple forge maps tops.

I still rather just play developer maps.
That would be fair, make sure they don't have any horrible oversights and that the community actually likes it. I don't get why you would just rather play developer maps, if the map is good then it is good, it doesn't matter who made it. That is just my opinion though.

JackHerer

In the latest bulletin it was said the pistol animations have been shortened so you can switch weapons, melee or grenade throw faster.

I'm aware of the weapon switching and melee timings from past Halo games but I don't think I've ever noticed grenade throwing being shorter with side arms vs. heavy weapons.

As far as I know grenade timing was always a standard amount, anyone confirm or refute this from previous Halo games?

Quicker grenade throws could be an interesting tactic, although I suspect the online latency has more affect on melee and grenade timings than the weapon animations.

The idea of the pistol giving us faster melees, quick reload and grenades, switching to weapons faster, etc is a very interesting one. I like it.

I do wonder though - if the time between melees is decreased drastically as they said- if it will become a tactic to switch to the pistol in order to do a sprint > double melee, kinda like a pseudo bxr type of thing. But overall I like the idea and will be interested to see how it affects gameplay.

Not according the the the US schooling system.

I wasn't aware they were in charge of reviewing our games.

If every over-hyped game released was scaled back to a 7 or an 8 (even 9) rather than 9s and 10s, a six would be disappointing, which is what Reach is.

Disappointing to a Halo fan, sure, but why? Because of some settings you don't like? Because of bloom? My point is that it's not an objectively bad game. The graphics are good, the sound is good, the art design is excellent, the gameplay is as tight as every Halo game before it.

You can't sit there and go, "Well if the movement speed were a bit faster it would be a much better game."

These things do not a 6/10 make.

blamite

I'd be down. I'm normally against the boosting and such but some of these achievements are some bullllllshiiiiiiit.

Yeah I'd be down to finish the achievements. I need most of the Anniversary and Defiant ones that were added with the TU.

Never again should achievements be required to be completed on a specific map or specific set of maps.

yeees please I have one fucking stupid achievements left the one where you assassinate an enemy having just come out of Armour Lock...

Cool, glad there's interest in this. How about Friday or Saturday evening/night, try to get a full party of 12 going.

To the dearest Mr. Frank O'Connor:

I would like to take this moment to thank you for taking the time to write that beautifully sculpted piece of art on this week's bulletin - 8/8/2012.

IuKXQ.jpg

Well, looks like I'll be making an appointment at the cat groomers.

Pixel's gonna look ridiculous.

We expect pics.

i3WpQzyYvKIZI.gif

a;sdjklfvna;sdklfha;sldkfhaskldjfhl;kj

That is straight up District 9 shit right there. I love it.

So good. Damn, this gun looks fun to use.

Weird, neon green explosion on the right.

green.png

I would say it's fuel rod but it looks awfully big. And it also looks like it's effected the blue spartan to the left of it.

Good catch, I wonder what that is.

xo4Fw.png

I also stabilized some footage of some weird flame gun:

Computron-Stabalized-Flame-Gun.gif

Yup, they seem to be the same gun.. I wonder if that blast is just the muzzle flash, or the actual 'projectile'.

The idea of the pistol giving us faster melees, quick reload and grenades, switching to weapons faster, etc is a very interesting one. I like it.

I do wonder though - if the time between melees is decreased drastically as they said- if it will become a tactic to switch to the pistol in order to do a sprint > double melee, kinda like a pseudo bxr type of thing. But overall I like the idea and will be interested to see how it affects gameplay.

I had the exact same thought about melee, switch to sidearm, double melee FTW.

It would actually be a nice counter to the sprint double melee Reach introduced.

No if they would just bring back sword dodging this tactic would be a counter to sword as well.

FyreWulff

yeah unfortunately it didnt pan out the way we had hoped in Reach.

Im hoping 4 will be better, now I wasnt in CC obviously, but I really liked my remake group, and then when I was brought in on Blueprint.

I will devote all the time I can to help-run the group again and help map makers as much as I have in the past, but is there a future for Blueprint?

Unless Waypoint creates a Group feature where would any of this even take place anymore?

We cant still be using our B.net group to organize stuff for Halo 4, right?

Obviously I have no problem helping at every level like I did with Reach, for 4, Im committed to this community (the niche forge remake community especially) I just hope there is a proper outlet for it.

edit: crap, last post on page. go back a page!

IMO, Anniversary Classic should drop the Anniversary Disc support and re-introduce the Forge World remakes and Reflection.

But that's just me.

GhaleonEB

The rail gun looks like a LOT of fun. As Tashi said, rail gun kills from across maps will happen, and they will be amazing. The decision not to put a scope on it is a great one.

I don't think there was a difference in past Halo games. They're just making it that way now since the Pistol is recognized/intended as weaker than the other guns: a side arm.

FyreWulff

Also, I have a feeling probably only Ghaleon would back me on this (and I'm not even sure on that), but I'd trade Anniversary Firefight for Firefight Doubles. Anniversary Firefight is just a clone of Firefight but on one map. Doubles actually offers something different.

edit: and then require Anniversary to play Doubles.

edit2: actually scratch that, DLC shows up enough in Firefight that I don't think it needs the requirement.

edit3: Alternately, reduce Anniversary Firefight to 2 players. Would actually kind of make sense considering the rest of CE:A is 2 player split.

nillapuddin

I've been wanting Forge remakes in Anniversary since launch.

Ive been wanting them longer ;)

IMO, Anniversary Classic should drop the Anniversary Disc support and re-introduce the Forge World remakes and Reflection.

But that's just me.

Right there with ya, there are some fantastic remakes out there that deserve to be played

(NOT plugging myself, i hope that comes across clearly, Theres a whole bunch of people who lived and breathed forge to remake past halo experiences for everyone)

Noricart

Disappointing to a Halo fan, sure, but why? Because of some settings you don't like? Because of bloom? My point is that it's not an objectively bad game. The graphics are good, the sound is good, the art design is excellent, the gameplay is as tight as every Halo game before it.

You can't sit there and go, "Well if the movement speed were a bit faster it would be a much better game."

• Because of a lackluster, poorly executed multiplayer suite, with overpowered abilites and a lack of distinctive variety (hello Forge World!). And a Ranked matchmaking system that is set in a Team environment, yet focused on the player.
  • A player advancement system that relies on doing specific tasks, and goes kaput once you try to play offline after connecting to the internet. (Did I tell you about how awesome Warrant Officer is?)
  • How about a campaign that doesn't bother to try to explain how it connects itself to the main games (kinda like ODST) and gives extra info in a journal. That is also in the Limited Edition. So if you want to know why you're sending Cortana* (*A fragment of her in the journal) you gotta go Limited.
  • Sandbox imbalance. (Insta-Kill grenades in beta? Bungie: fixed by reducing damage by one point! lolololol.) You like AR spawns and mindless AR charges? I do! A pistol that's touted as the "beast" gun and is incapable of doing jack thanks to a lowly clip size and bloom?
I'm sorry, but you can't look at Reach without looking at it as a Halo game, which should live up to the Halo pedigree. If you're asking for me not to judge it as a Halo fan, It needs to not have Halo in the title.
And now, for my next installment of Homeboyd's completely off topic posts.. I give you:

Guy thinks his sister is hot
There is a guy reads posts on TVtropes as well, it's kind of funny too.

I had a random idea about Halo 4 that could make for an interesting spin-off Spartan Ops series.

My favorite bit of the Forward Unto Dawn trailer was the opening scene, in class, where the students were being taught classical strategies and tactics to prep them for exercises ahead. Now, why not take that training fiction and put it to use in special Spartan Ops missions that teach classic Halo strategies and tactics of map control, weapon control, spawn control, communication, and team play?

You could start off with a cut-scene flashback from class, explaining these concepts in classical or historical terms. Follow this up with special missions that focus on each element of Halo multiplayer, in isolation, and that reward players who utilize the training regimen. These can still be missions against covenant or what have you, but designed to provide an advantage to a particular aspect of strategy or tactics that you can then utilize online with other players.

Basically a side series of missions that not only train players on the finer points of Halo play and prep them for ranked War-Games, while also incorporating the fiction of spartan IV training. Its a win, win, win.

Well, I liked the idea anyway ;P

I really wish we'd stop using numbers all together for ranking video games. Like we can add up graphics, art design, and sound to be some kind of objective value or whatever. Let's give it points because there's an options menu as well, and a working online multiplayer.

Video games are not a checklist. They're not a series of quadrants that need to be marked off in order to get a good grade on Metacritic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom