• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm actually looking forward to what I assume is going to be changes to Grifball
That's not to say our more stripped down experiences don't have their charm. One particular game mode that has a cult following may end up with a mainstream breakout because of the features Kevin Franklin and the MP team have added to it to make it "legit." More on that later.

Chris - The Halo 4 Magnum isn’t meant to compete with the big boys (DMR, BR, Carbine, LightRifle) so its role is a bit different than in the past. It definitely won’t compete with the Halo 1 Magnum (although, what weapon will?). It’s still lethal but best used as a backup (switch to a Magnum to finish someone vs. waiting for a long reload on your primary weapon) or to pair with a fully auto primary weapon like the AR or Storm Rifle (drop an enemy’s shields and then finish them with a single headshot). In the hands of a skilled player though, this thing can still be a beast as it’s one of the fastest firing guns in the game. The other big change I think players will notice is that we have drastically sped up animation times when using a pistol. So you will be able to switch to it quicker, pull off melees and grenade throws faster, etc. than you will with primary weapons.
Useless weapon is useless weapon confirmed. Why would I carry a crappy back up weapon when I can carry two primary weapons? And what was the pistol's role in the past other than being a crappy weapon outside of CE? The pistol is dead and shouldn't have been included in Halo4. Not a big deal since I can get used to using other weapons, but it's funny that it keeps getting thrown into the Halo games as a useless pile of refuse. Hey look it's the pistol. Still bad? Yep. Carry on.

any amount of wub is too much wub. I think most of HaloGAF has come to an agreement

HALOGAF HAS SPOKEN

i0mO3xYfV4sUF.gif

There will be wub in Halo 4, bet money

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Useless weapon is useless weapon confirmed. Why would I carry a crappy back up weapon when I can carry two primary weapons? And what was the pistol's role in the past other than being a crappy weapon outside of CE? The pistol is dead and shouldn't have been included in Halo4. Not a big deal since I can get used to using other weapons, but it's funny that it keeps getting thrown into the Halo games as a useless pile of refuse. Hey look it's the pistol. Still bad? Yep. Carry on.

Well you can shoot a pistol while holding a flag and shit now right?

If the weapon switch animation is faster then technically that last headshot from a pistol will be faster than switching to a primary weapon.

Spiders

Finally caught up to this thread.

The video was pretty awesome, but the weapons sounds have me worried. A alot of the weapons (and the shotgun in particular) sound really weak.

heckfu

Banned

The video was pretty awesome, but the weapons sounds have me worried. A alot of the weapons (and the shotgun in particular) sound really weak.

I hope you can find some way to sleep at night since the sounds have you so worried!

Caja 117

Great bulletin, a lot of information regarding the weapons, right now I would wonder what made 343 change the clip size for the DMR.

Glad to see the Medals changed a bit, they look much better than before so is the sniper.

Well you can shoot a pistol while holding a flag and shit now right?

Yeah the purpose of the Magnum appears to mostly be for CTF.

At least they speed up all the Magnum actions for switching too, melee, and grenades. It's helps a bit as long as they are determined to make it a "side arm".

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I wonder why kind of splash damage the rail gun has? Multiple enemies at the same time? Gonna be cool to see

GhaleonEB

I actually can't believe how many didn't like the music. It's probably the least dub step song I've ever heard. Shit was expertly cut, besides the Promethian Pistol there. Makes me wanna do better trailers and montages myself. I thought it was superb all around.
My face was frozen in a wince the entire time I was watching the video with the music. I don't have the slightest idea what dubstep is, but that music was downright obnoxious. I was so glad to see the video without it right after.

I'm actually looking forward to what I assume is going to be changes to Grifball

I suspect the changes are to Living Dead.
I wonder why kind of splash damage the rail gun has? Multiple enemies at the same time? Gonna be cool to see

I'm guessing there will be slim to no spash damage; if there's any I imagine it's similar in size to the missile pod explosions from Halo 3. They were there, but the radius was very small. You gotta nail'em to kill'em.

Frame-by-frame look at the flamethrower pistol thing (via HBO).

yQyc3.png

I was going to say Forerunner shotgun, but that's the Scattershot. No clue on this one.

I suspect the changes are to Living Dead.
That would make sense, it does have a higher population and may have more potential for being a legitimate game type. It's just that when I think of cult like followings, I think more of Grifball because it has its own competitive league.

GhaleonEB

I'm not sure I'd qualify Living Dead as not mainstream, considering how regularly it used to outpopulate Team Slayer.

The exact wording leaves a lot of room for interpretation:

One particular game mode that has a cult following may end up with a mainstream breakout because of the features Kevin Franklin and the MP team have added to it to make it "legit."

Which game modes have a cult following? If we confine this to matchmaking game types and not some custom game I'm not aware of, I'd say the Community playlists (MLG, Grifball, etc.). Living Dead is certainly popular, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of respect; the use of "legit" made me think of it. But if it has a cult following, yeah, it's a pretty big cult.

I'm not sure I'd qualify Living Dead as not mainstream, considering how regularly it used to outpopulate Team Slayer.

I hope I'm not the only who is truly saddened when Living Dead and Grifball out populate Objective. It's the downside of the Halo community for me, that's just my opinion.

Spiders

I hope I'm not the only who is truly saddened when Living Dead and Grifball out populate Objective. It's the downside of the Halo community for me, that's just my opinion.

Grifball and living dead shouldn't be permanent playlist in my opinion. They work best as weekend playlists.

Maybe it's Team Objective that has the cult following.

I laughed, then I realized it was true.

The phrasing certainly makes it sound like a fringe gametype like Zombies, but who knows, maybe he just meant one of the less popular objective gametypes.
I'm wondering if the shot will go through multiple targets like the laser and snipe.

Just judging by the footage, I would say no. It looks like a clear impact shot instead of a beam that destroys anything on that line across the map.

GhaleonEB

What would be the more legitimate component be, then? Finally removing K/D from the postgame stats?

I was more lamenting the low population for objectives. But a serious answer would be, eliminating the redundant round on one-sided objective games when a team is ahead 2-0. But then, Reach allows that (it's in Grifball), it's just not implemented.

Or, awarding more space bucks to teams that win objective games quickly, rather than rewarding them for drawing it out. But that wouldn't be a game option, so it doesn't fit.

I still suspect it's Living Dead, though I can't think of what the tweaks would be. Grifball always seemed too limited a game type to really break through, though it has its niche.

On a related note, one way to keep the playlists trim and focused would be to bring back rotating weekend playlists (Grifball, Living Dead, etc.)

Omni

29147709.png

Egh. Why is there a notification for "Railgun kill"? I can't think of any instance where this would be needed. At all.

I can understand the "Headshot" one, I guess... But "Railgun kill"?

Really?

FyreWulff

Objective in Halo is always going to be that way. Roughly compiled across previous Jeremiah and Shiskha posts, the top influences on reducing a population in a playlist, in rough order of importants with most impact being at the top:

1) DLC requirement
2) Is 100% Objective
3) Ranked (or guests not allowed)
4) Optional Objective gametypes
5) Is 100% BR/DMR start

With an unfortunate stat that (on averagE) when a player gets objectives twice in a playlist that they don't want to play, they never come back to the playlist. This is why a lot of new playlists will start Slayer-only, it's because they're trying to get the most population from the start interested in it. Even having the presence of optional objectives will drop it's population.

Caja 117

off topic, but I just got a scare with a moneypack ransomware, it easy to deal with, it is more scary than anything else :/

On topic, Im guessing that the next bulleting will explain covenant/prometeans weapons.

I was more lamenting the low population for objectives. But a serious answer would be, eliminating the redundant round on one-sided objective games when a team is ahead 2-0. But then, Reach allows that (it's in Grifball), it's just not implemented.

Or, awarding more space bucks to teams that win objective games quickly, rather than rewarding them for drawing it out. But that wouldn't be a game option, so it doesn't fit.

I still suspect it's Living Dead, though I can't think of what the tweaks would be. Grifball always seemed too limited a game type to really break through, though it has its niche.

On a related note, one way to keep the playlists trim and focused would be to bring back rotating weekend playlists (Grifball, Living Dead, etc.)

I really hope that one-sided objective gametypes become two rounds with unlimited scores, played to a timer. The four-round, one score per round is just flat out dull in my opinion.

I'm curious to see what they do with objective gametypes in Halo 4 in general. Also, cautiously terrified for what new objective gametypes they have.

Pop

Egh. Why is there a notification for "Railgun kill"? I can't think of any instance where this would be needed. At all.

Really?

You won't even notice that in game, text in the middle of the screen is subliminal. Have you ever played COD or ODST? Probably have and those two both have text in the middle of the screen.

Just judging by the footage, I would say no. It looks like a clear impact shot instead of a beam that destroys anything on that line across the map.

Yeah, upon further inspection, I can definitely see that. Now Tashi's question arises: Will it have substantial splash damage, if any at all? I hope there is some, but not a lot. I would like it to be equal to the Concussion Rifle's splash damage - it exists, and can cause some pretty serious damage, but the radius is fairly small.

So, did we ever get a better uncompressed version of that video?

And now, for my next installment of Homeboyd's completely off topic posts.. I give you:

Guy thinks his sister is hot

:lol

15 primary weapons according to the War Games video back at E3 and so far we have:

AR
BR
DMR
Storm Rifle
Carbine
Light Rifle

That leaves us with 9 more? Holy shit.

Yeah, its kinda freaking crazy tbh. At this point I fully expect to see the Needle Rifle return..and uh.. Well I suppose the 'Promethean Repeater' will be a starting weapon. Uh, what else.. Maybe that wasn't all the UNSC weapons? We did see a pic of what looked like an SMG.. Man, I dunno, Im beat on what else there may be.

Possible SMG?

Vfs92.jpg

'Promethean Repeater'

QRVxO.jpg

Things I snipped from vid

Look at icons on chest, forearms

Dots

New helmet? Or different angle of previosly shown

Good catches, and that helmet is definitely the new JFO.

Did anyone catch this?

n5Ld4.png

Bam. Looks to be an SMG to me, or at least the weapon I think is an SMG.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the 15 primaries included weapons that won't be primaries in the final game because because 15 sounds like a lot when one of our three factions only has 3 primary weapons. You guys think there will be 12 primaries between the covenant and promethean weapon sets?

Pop

I'm beginning to think that maybe the 15 primaries included weapons that won't be primaries in the final game because because 15 sounds like a lot when one of our three factions only has 3 primary weapons. You guys think there will be 12 primaries between the covenant and promethean weapon sets?

It's all about them precision weapons, the other primaries will be worthless.

29147709.png

Really?
Might as well get rid of the medals too.

Videos don't do any of the audio justice. It seems like it looses a lot of low end in all these vids.

IHaveIce

Banned
Very cool Bulletin and next Week is about Specializations?

News roll out, nice.

Frankie's text was also good and I had to agree the most time of it.

BUT WHY IS THERE NO MENTION OF EUROPE HANDS ON :(((

Ken

29147709.png

Really?

Nice that ammo counter turns red to tell you you're empty and screwed.

Or did it always do this in Halo games.

blamite

I just realized that the HUD still doesn't show your secondary weapon. I know they said at E3 that would be added later, so I'm surprised it isn't there yet.
29147709.png

Really?
Maybe they do it bacause you'll be able to assign different point values to kills with different weapons, so they want that to be visible? That's my best guess, but it does seem a bit pointless. It's not like you won't know what kind of kill you've just gotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom