• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talents

Banned
Overdoz1z, Elzar, Bobs, and everyone else who did customs on Tuesday: here is the video of me winning.

I won that game. Thanks to munky for capturing the clip for me.

I didn't really even realise what the score was. I was too busy spawn killing them with bobs.

Swarmerr

Reposting this again because i don't think anyone saw it...

If you go to the video at 0:58 you see a guy no scope with the sniper and he gets a new medal and the +10 snapshot text.

Maybe a no scope medal?

th2b2eeuh

Credit goes to this forum post on waypoint.
https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst103272_we-now-have-a-no-scope-medal.aspx

edit: damn sorry for posting out of date info, but I am pretty pumped for this small thing because now if you want to embarrass someone in a team snipers game they will know that you noscoped the whole game.

wwm0nkey

So you like all videogame dubstep? lol

I skipped through that and some of it is really good, might search for some of those individual tracks.

kind of, I like really long sets that flow together like the one I linked but I can't stand individual tracks for some reason. I am really weird with dubstep and its not really my preferred genre lol

kylej

Banned
You won't even notice that in game, text in the middle of the screen is subliminal. Have you ever played COD or ODST? Probably have and those two both have text in the middle of the screen.

I heard the same crap about bloom. There must've been 20 people in the Reach beta thread arguing with me about how bloom is a natural evolution of Halo gunplay and it'll only add a subliminal layer of skill to the game and saying I was crazy for worrying about it.

White text should have a toggle. Period. If people want it, that's fine. If they don't, let them take it off. Options are good.

also

DMR -
While it does feature a slight amount of bloom to balance it at extreme distances

Snipe -
The recoil makes it a bit harder to line up again between shots but we have adjusted the accuracy and aim assist to help compensate.

gonna need some crispy video of this bloom and recoil action. Making the snipe harder to use through arbitrary recoil and not a reduction in auto aim is garb.

Also, not to nitpick but why does the snipe still look like Wall-E? I wouldn't call the Halo snipe iconic, but it's recognizable and has carried the same look for over a decade. Some shit doesn't have to be changed just for the sake of change. It's a Halo game, make the snipe look like Halo not a cheap looking steampunk weapon.

GhaleonEB

Maybe they do it bacause you'll be able to assign different point values to kills with different weapons, so they want that to be visible? That's my best guess, but it does seem a bit pointless. It's not like you won't know what kind of kill you've just gotten.
I think the text there confirms any kill, regardless of method. IIRC, there's also a vanilla "Kill - 10 Points". So naturally there's going to be weapon specific variations.

Quite a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

No, not really. I had the same thoughts watching the video.

Myyke

Neo Member
I heard the same crap about bloom. There must've been 20 people in the Reach beta thread arguing with me about how bloom is a natural evolution of Halo gunplay and it'll only add a subliminal layer of skill to the game and saying I was crazy for worrying about it.

Comparing bloom to in-game text? Scraping the barrel a little bit aren't we Kyle?

Omni

While I still remember it...

When the inevitable campaign spoilers come around, will these OTs be completely spoiler free or? I still remember that Reach was spoiled for me by someone on Bungie.net who sent me a PM... egh.

feel

kind of, I like really long sets that flow together like the one I linked but I can't stand individual tracks for some reason. I am really weird with dubstep and its not really my preferred genre lol
I'm glad you posted that, I got really into it by the end and now I'm listening to the entire thing from the beginning on a background tab.

edit- kylej = GOAT

Also, not to nitpick but why does the snipe still look like Wall-E? I wouldn't call the Halo snipe iconic, but it's recognizable and has carried the same look for over a decade. Some shit doesn't have to be changed just for the sake of change. It's a Halo game, make the snipe look like Halo not a cheap looking steampunk weapon.

I agree with the majority of your post's but LOLWUT the sniper has changed in pretty much every halo game. 343 is a bit more drastic but hell the pretty much every weapon the showed has had some kind of visual re-imagining.

DMR -

Snipe -

gonna need some crispy video of this bloom and recoil action. Making the snipe harder to use through arbitrary recoil and not a reduction in auto aim is garb.

Regarding Bloom: It'll probably just work like the BR's spread, only the deviation isn't as large. I'm not worried about it too much.

And as for auto-aim on the sniper, do we live in a world where different weapons have different levels of aim assist? I've always been under the impression that aim assist was universal, no matter what weapon you were using.

I still maintain that bloom as a mechanic works in theory. 85% bloom simply confirms that the implementation needed tweaking, not the mechanic itself.

*shrug* Oh sorry, I must be slurping 343's dick or else I'm riding Kyle's :lol

All of my smhs

I think the AR has a place in halo, not really at an uber competitive level but in a more social environment sure.

I really dont understand why people are complaining about this, is it because its spray and pray based? because while that's a solid argument i feel it only goes so far.

If you keep getting beat by an AR when using a BR/DMR you know what you can do.

im thinking of halo 4 being like batman begins, a total re-imagining of the halo series based on what a new publishing company thinks.
look at the freaking batmobile. it changed from a sports car to a tank.

I think the AR has a place in halo, not really at an uber competitive level but in a more social environment sure.

I really dont understand why people are complaining about this, is it because its spray and pray based? because while that's a solid argument i feel it only goes so far.

I agree with you, pretty much. I'm not going to get all twisted about it. The weapon doesn't reward skill in aiming as much, sure, but it still rewards map positioning. If you're unable to get yourself within your effective range you're still not going to have very much success. It seems like it's going to be more tailored to the type of player that does a lot of ambushing.

Let's be real though, how many times are you even going to run into an AR? Everyone's going to use the BR.

Didn't know that. Never thought much about it, I guess.

Anyway, I'm still interested in what, exactly, results in the "heavy" feeling that a lot of the pros described on the sniper rifle.

I agree with the majority of your post's but LOLWUT the sniper has changed in pretty much every halo game. 343 is a bit more drastic but hell the pretty much every weapon the showed has had some kind of visual re-imagining.

All of the previous snipers maintained the rectangle scope with either a small green or translucent screen embedded within. 343's design breaks from this by adding a redundant circular scope in addition to the rectangle one. It is a major change from the very similar designs of all of the previous games.

Tweaking the sniper until Frankie could get a kill with it was not their brightest moment either.

laughingdog.gif

Swarmerr

I do hate the AR but I learned a long time ago in team slayer halo 3 that sometimes it is to your advantage to use over the br. (in close range)

On to precision weapons.. A gripe I have with halo 4 right now is the fact that the carbine, br and now dmr all only have enough bullets to net two kills with every clip. Why not give us 3 kills per clip but make it so that you have to hit every shot to get that 3rd kill?

I may be late on this as I just saw the Weapon Sounds video for the first time a few minutes ago... But did you guys notice this weapon around 0:48? Seems like a new Forerunner weapon to me.

4jyHZ.jpg

The SAW also took me by surprise. Was this the first time it was shown? I honestly didn't expect this many new weapons anymore after that one press release ("10 new weapons" or something).

Nevermind if this was talked about already. Can't keep up with this thread at the moment.

Myyke

Neo Member
Comparing the responses the community had to each not their effect in game. This is extraordinarily obvious. Thanks.

Might be better to compare the community response to the way medals and text were used on screen in ODST in that case. It is after all, pretty much the same thing, rather than a comparison with the response to bloom, which is arguably a very different gameplay mechanic. Just seemed like a bit of a tenuous link to me, that's all.

Agreed though that an option to toggle would be an easy (and seemingly simple) way to satisfy both camps.

Overdoziz

Banned

For a starting weapon the skill-gap is too small.

I may be late on this as I just saw the Weapon Sounds video for the first time a few minutes ago... But did you guys notice this weapon around 0:48? Seems like a new Forerunner weapon to me.

4jyHZ.jpg

The SAW also took me by surprise. Was this the first time it was shown? I honestly didn't expect this many new weapons anymore after that one press release ("10 new weapons" or something).

Nevermind if this was talked about already. Can't keep up with this thread at the moment.

Yeah, talked about it fairly extensively. My personal theory is that it's going to function a lot like the mauler.

And yeah, SAW came out of left field.

All of the previous snipers maintained the rectangle scope with either a small green or translucent screen embedded within. 343's design breaks from this by adding a redundant circular scope in addition to the rectangle one. It is a major change from the very similar designs of all of the previous games.

So is the BR/DMR/Warthog/Grunt/Jackal/Elite/Pelican.

343 has overhauled a majority of the components, The point was that the sniper has always been in flux.

I like the new model perfectly fine and i HATED the E3 Build.

For a starting weapon the skill-gap is too small.

That's a point that's up for a lot of debate, should a starting weapon put players on equal footing?

The point is negated somewhat in Halo 4 because of loadouts but im fine with an AR for a social environments its fun to just throw bullets at people. Switching to something like the BR is always an option.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm going anyway so I'll see if it's there or not. If it is there, I think I could understand why we don't have a direct answer. But if it's not there, I really don't get it.
yeah same for me, I already paid my tickets in April, because I thought it is a no brainer that Halo 4 is there... maybe we'll see us? hopefully in the line to play Halo

Karl2177

I simply don't agree :p I find it to be very enjoyable. ZB gametypes are fun in a different way. The really fast RoF is disorienting (disorientating?) and definitely shows you what the DMR wasn't supposed to be.
But 85% still expands past the outer reticule. When that version of TU comes out I will be happy.

That's a point that's up for a lot of debate, should a starting weapon put players on equal footing?

The point is negated somewhat in Halo 4 because of loadouts but im fine with an AR for a social environments its fun to just throw bullets at people. Switching to something like the BR is always an option.

This, this right here, is exactly how I feel. It sums up why I enjoy playing AR gametypes occasionally. Haters gonna hate.

Question to the staunch Anti-AR crew: What would you do to change the weapon to increase the skill gap?

Swarmerr

But 85% still expands past the outer reticule. When that version of TU comes out I will be happy.

What version?

This, this right here, is exactly how I feel. It sums up why I enjoy playing AR gametypes occasionally. Haters gonna hate.

Question to the staunch Anti-AR crew: What would you do to change the weapon to increase the skill gap?

I don't hate the AR but if you reduced the auto-aim on the gun it could do wonders. It seems that in every game it always has a high amount of auto aim to the point it aims for you.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I get it, some people just would rather the AR not be in the game. Personally I think it should demolish a BR/DMR at point blank range, considering it's full auto. The damage should taper off as you get further away into BR zone, and be nil at DMR range.

Anywho, wonder what that Promethean Pistol is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom