• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Objective in Halo is always going to be that way. Roughly compiled across previous Jeremiah and Shiskha posts, the top influences on reducing a population in a playlist, in rough order of importants with most impact being at the top:

1) DLC requirement
2) Is 100% Objective
3) Ranked (or guests not allowed)
4) Optional Objective gametypes
5) Is 100% BR/DMR start

With an unfortunate stat that (on averagE) when a player gets objectives twice in a playlist that they don't want to play, they never come back to the playlist. This is why a lot of new playlists will start Slayer-only, it's because they're trying to get the most population from the start interested in it. Even having the presence of optional objectives will drop it's population.

Uggh, I know I used to PM and post in the Bungie.net matchmaking threads all the time, poster boy for objective if ever there was one :)

The statistics don't lie, I even help push the Team Throwback playlist, it failed miserably and that is the part that saddens me about the community. They don't like objective and it sucks for me...and Halo in general.

That was a great bulletin. The music for the video made me roll my eyes, but I can deal with it. (I even like some Dubstep, so I don't have an issue with the genre, more it's use in every game trailer so far this year it seems)

Frankie's letter to the community (which is what it read like, at least to me) in general was very heartfelt and genuine. My nerves was soothed, my worries abated.

I'm starting to get more excited for the release of Halo 4 than I was for Halo 3. It feels like 343 have a real thirst to prove to everyone that Halo can be developed without Bungie's trademark magic.

I have real hope that it's as good as we all want it to be...but equally, that means if it isn't, the disappointment will be all the more harrowing...

Fingers crossed. :)

Also - thecult gametype that may have a mainstream breakout...Infection with Flood Vs Spartans instead of Spartans Vs Spartans? At last? Maybe?

Cos even I'd play that. :)

Pop

I don't think the rail gun is the gun to alleviate your ceiling problems.

tumblr_lmx0g6UYeV1qbub2i.gif

TheOddOne

Some of my observations on the video released:
  • The medals seem to have been changed, they don’t have the “soft” style anymore and look more solid.
  • Ordnance Drops themselves seem to have their own dedicated medal when you finally get them.
  • Looks like a new armor ability or maybe the Forerunner vision icon got changed (note the glasses in the picture).
  • Before when getting shot the screen went red, now you get it yellow-ish and the pattern in it has changed a bit.
  • Another armor ability I have not seen before, it has a Spartan helmet on the design.
  • New shotgun design, which you can zoom in with now.
  • The Saw and Railgun are interesting, look like great additions to the sandbox (Both give off the Doom/Quake like vibe).
  • The Sniper still looks the same, but they have toned down the brown.
From the Halo Bulletin:
ASSAULT RIFLE

Chris - Relative to other Halos, this feels to me like a slightly more powerful Halo 3 AR. Some people might have some prejudice against the weapon because it’s not the newest, flashiest weapon on the block and there are a lot of other things that will catch your eye first. That being said, this is one of the best looking weapons in the game IMO. Gameplay-wise, we’ve tried to extend the range on the AR a bit from what it’s traditionally been and made it a tad more accurate. This is one of my favorite weapons in Halo 4 and I’m particularly fond of pairing it with a long range rifle in MP using the Firepower armor mod.
This is not what I want to hear, Chris.

SAW

David - The SAW is, without a doubt, the most psychologically intimidating GUN in the game. It looks unlike any gun you’ve seen before in a Halo game, and packs a world champion-class punch when spraying molten projectiles at everything in your way. The SAW is also incredibly useful as a force modifier when encountering a vehicle on foot. A skilled SAW user will use every tool at his disposal to clear space while shredding surrounding vehicles.
You make me so Jellis, David.

RAILGUN

Kynan - I like the Rail Gun since it’s basically a Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher, and Spartan Laser all wrapped into one. You charge it up to shoot a direct damage shot that explodes on impact. WIN!
Talk more of this sexy talk, Kynan.

In other news, I'm liking the playlist changes.

Myyke

Neo Member
image.axd

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH

xeBm3.gif

Also for those that have been playing the new Transformers demo, Aircraft Mode + Melee is the equivalent of Sprint + Melee in Reach. Elzar will confirm this.

So it seems that I'm going to be occasionally using the AR in order to upset people.

Excellent.

image.axd

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH

xeBm3.gif

Also for those that have been playing the new Transformers demo, Aircraft Mode + Melee is the equivalent of Sprint + Melee in Reach. Elzar will confirm this.

You haven't known hate until you've experienced the teleport+shotgun combo in Hybrid.

I actually can't believe how many didn't like the music. It's probably the least dub step song I've ever heard. Shit was expertly cut, besides the Promethian Pistol there. Makes me wanna do better trailers and montages myself. I thought it was superb all around.

I thought the music was very bad. Completely antithetical to Halo and incredibly jarring. I can sum it up in four words: a cacophony of noise.

One of the Reach trailers used a similarly paced song to greater effect. Something like the Uphill, Both Ways remix would've been a far better fit.

One thing I really liked: Judging from the video, Halo 4 has that "fade" sound effect for gun noises. That is, when you hear gun fire at a distance, it actually sounds farther away. I loved that in Halo 3.

IHaveIce

Banned
thanks OddOne, and you are right, the medals look indeed different.
I like the new designs.

And this SAW weapon is really interesting, would like to test it

I thought the music was very bad. Completely antithetical to Halo and incredibly jarring. I can sum it up in four words: a cacophony of noise.

One of the Reach trailers used a similarly paced song to greater effect. Something like the Uphill, Both Ways remix would've been a far better fit.

One thing I really liked: Judging from the video, Halo 4 has that "fade" sound effect for gun noises. That is, when you hear gun fire at a distance, it actually sounds farther away. I loved that in Halo 3.
Thats how I felt.

Huh. I just found out, through one of the related videos of the clip I just posted, that someone used one of my pro-pipe clips for a mini give-away.

Can't say I blame him. That's one of the more hilarious clips.

I just want to ask if theres any word on 343 creating an option to allow aim acceleration (not aim assist) to be turned off. Seems like a lot of people support this, which is something I support aswell.

Woorloog

Banned
I still do not find the Railgun cool.
Very interested in the Magnum, if the switch time to it along with its melee speed and 'nade throwing speed are sufficiently faster than with other weapons... Definetly going to be using it as well. If Storm Rifle is like the Plasma Rifle, ie very good shield stripper, then the Magnum will complement the StR very well.
Plasma Pistol has great utility but maybe it is more fitting for BTB. This depends on its charge-up time of course, in Reach it is definetly more suited for disabling vehicles than shields.

EDIT also, if the Magnum shoots fast and is accurate, is it comparable to Reach beta Magnum? Because that thing was excellent backup weapon and close range weapon but wasn't an utility weapon due to its limited range and magazine size.

Next 2 Videos to be shown at PAX with a New map and its all going to be playable ?

/hope

Im thinking that the WubWub is from a secondary Halo 4 OST ones that's been either remixed by various artists or has entirely new Halo related songs by them.

Blueblur1

Quite a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?

IHaveIce

Banned
It would be really cool if we would get the Videos for Covenant and Promethean Weapons in a weekly intervall. that would be a lot of news <3

No mention of Gamescom in the bulletin. I am disappointed. Weapons look cool but I can't fully enjoy the video with the thought of random weapons drops in my head.

L1NETT

Ok, just caught up with the thread and videos. The Bulletin was a great read, props to Frank for his OHI.

Railgun looks smexy as hell, can't wait to get a hold of it.

I actually really like the colours of the Spartans. Reach's spartans looked pretty awful, so a return to the more poppy Halo 3 colours is welcome. The colour schemes of each of the Spartans looks top too.

I like that the magnum helps you pull off melees and throw nades faster though. Might be using that + DMR as my main loadout.

Loving the SAW, really interesting weapon option. Glad it is an Ordanance though.

On the music, I hope it isn't Skrillex. I hope a combination of artists worked on the remix album. *Cough Daft Punk *cough

Quite a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think?
I had to pause the video at one point to consider watching the rest of it muted, so no, I don't think that's an exaggeration.

I'd like to think one aspect about my posting style that comes through is that I try to avoid exaggerating because I don't think that helps a discussion. I also think you took the word "cacophony" to mean worse than I did, or maybe I was using the wrong word, or maybe the context was a bit harsher than I intended. From dictionary.com: "Music . frequent use of discords of a harshness and relationship difficult to understand."

It's also entirely possible that because it's tied to the video, the association is making it worse than it actually is, and it would be better listening to it alone.

Myyke

Neo Member
Just had my holidays (halodays lolol) approved at work for November 5th - 15th. Now just to endure the 90 days left to wait.......

Well whoever it is I hope that there isn't anymore wub wub.

If it is Skrillex.........

There Will Be Wub

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts:

- I was going to moan about the AR buff but, seeing as I'll never have to spawn with it again and the BR/DMR is sure to dominate it, it doesn't particularly bother me.

- BTB sounds like it'll retain Reach's primary problem: The DMR's 3x scope.

- Magnum animation times being shorter is very interesting. I wonder what the times will be like across the three different sandbox's?

- The SAW gun is hilarious, looks like a Tommy Gun from a speakeasy.

- Railgun looks like a great addition to Halo's sandbox. Reminds me of a Quake gun in its aesthetics. Will make for funny custom games; 150% speed, Railgun only.

On the subject of the Sniper

They tend to be purpose built with function superseding aesthetics

Yep. it still looks overdone to me though the removal of the 60's telephone cord improves it. This statement from Frankie:

Sits for me, right between Reach and Halo 2 in terms of ease of use. I basically couldn&#8217;t snipe at all in Halo 3, other than swipe-sniping, so this is a great feeling weapon for my campy style

confirmed what I suspected from a Frankie post way back in an old Reach OT. He expressed his frustration with Halo 3's snipe and said he preferred Reach's. Alarm bells went off then. I know he's not a designer at 343 but this comment struck me as potentially prescient and the 'campy style' comment seems to confirm the Snipers likeness to Reach's. Also this comment from Chris

I find that I can be more successful with our Sniper Rifle than I could with the Halo 3 or Reach ones so it&#8217;s probably a tad bit easier to use

Confirms a further dumbing down of the weapon that is supposed to be on the higher echelons of Halo's skill based weapons.

One positive thing to note though is that it appears they've removed the reticle flare from the Sniper. I can only assume it was placeholder from Reach on the E3 builds. Excellent decision.

Other thoughts

- Medals look much better now, as was expected

- The effect on Steizer's voice sounds off, doesn't sound as cool as previous games

- Reload animations are looking sweet

- Frankie's overview of 343's inception, to bungie's handover, to the precipice of their first major release was a warm and reassuring read. Hopefully they make gold without a hitch and the rest of the rollout is smooth sailing.

29147709.png

Egh. Why is there a notification for "Railgun kill"? I can't think of any instance where this would be needed. At all.

I can understand the "Headshot" one, I guess... But "Railgun kill"?

Really?

same reason you get medals for laser kills, beatdowns, sword kills,flamethrower kills

feel

It was very jarring seeing the obvious pandering to the taste of a 12 year old
new age COD ADD gamer and then that heartfelt OHI address to the community in the same news post.

Omni

same reason you get medals for laser kills, beatdowns, sword kills,flamethrower kills
If I have a railgun and I kill a guy, I don't need to be told that I've just got a railgun kill. Likewise with any other weapon in the game. After the match I might be curious as to how many kills with the laser I got for example, but that's what medals are for and/or the stats on Waypoint.

Said messages in-game in the middle of your screen are redundant. It was even said that you don't notice them as you're playing... so why are they there in the first place?

Woorloog

Banned
- BTB sounds like it'll retain Reach's primary problem: The DMR's 3x scope.
Reach's BTB's primary issues are the horrible map desing and the horrible vehicle health system.
A map without ridiculously long sight lines would reduce the DMR's range advantange.

That said i'd prefer the DMR to have 2.5x scope at most...

If I have a railgun and I kill a guy, I don't need to be told that I've just got a railgun kill. Likewise with any other weapon in the game. After the match I might be curious as to how many kills with the laser I got for example, but that's what medals are for and/or the stats on Waypoint.

Said messages in-game in the middle of your screen are redundant. It was even said that you don't notice them as you're playing... so why are they there in the first place?

same thing can be said with getting kills and assists and distractions. not that i am disagreeing with you.
i think they are their because all the popular shooters have them.

Slaker117

It's also entirely possible that because it's tied to the video, the association is making it worse than it actually is, and it would be better listening to it alone.

I think this is the case for me. I don't really mind dubstep one way or the other, it just doesn't fit the tone I've come to automatically associate with Halo. I think I find it more jarring than bad, which is a bit odd, as men in robot space suits firing laser guns seems like it would be an ideal setting for dubstep. Unfortunately, the video was cut to match the manic rhythm of the music, so watching without leaves us an awkward piece that doesn't have the energy to support the fast-paced editing.

All that said, it still got me hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom