• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

m23

It was sort of like a "How it's Made" video. Not really something for theaters. There are some game tidbits in it as well as some really nice music.

I don't know, I think it's actually pretty cool to show in theaters. They focused on how game development is similar to movie production, I think most people believe that games are just made by guys sitting in front of computers (which is true for the most part). I don't think people realize all the other things that are done such as the music, sounds, motion capture etc.

The video really showed how much effort goes into making games, and I think, well hope that others will realize that games are much bigger than they think.

Well sure, that makes sense. To be fair I assumed if anyone did go check the thread (even though I told them not to), they would see 5 pages of "WTF did I just get TDKR spoilers?!" rather than the one post they were referencing (which was never quoted).

What you're commenting on is the exact opposite. If I said "holy shit, go check this thread out now! It's awesome!" with no context, and led you to spoilers... that's a dick move on my part. But good lord... "don't click this cesspool of a thread" should be an indicator. Next time, no warning. Click threads at your own peril.

Look, I aint even that mad, I'm not a big Batman nut who really cares but I am going to see that film and I'd rather not know the ending. You're an intelligent poster so you must know, human nature being inquisitive as it is, if you advise not to do something without context then folks are going to want to know why they shouldn't and look for themselves. I mean, I expected somebody to have goatse tattooed on the back of their car so I was spoiled and disappointed! No hard feelings.

I don't know, I think it's actually pretty cool to show in theaters. They focused on how game development is similar to movie production, I think most people believe that games are just made by guys sitting in front of computers (which is true for the most part). I don't think people realize all the other things that are done such as the music, sounds, motion capture etc.

The video really showed how much effort goes into making games, and I think, well hope that others will realize that games are much bigger than they think.
What are you talking about? Stinkles just sits at his desk typing in random numbers that somehow ends turning into a game and using google docs to manage playlists.

EDIT: Seeing all the aspects that go into game making wasn't really a shock to me. I never thought it was a simple endeavor. It always baffles me and excites me how 200+ people with different backgrounds build a world from scratch, literally. I was mostly interested in the techniques they were using and some of the tidbits that showed off the final project. The video delivered.

I disagree with nearly every point.

If it's easy to get kills with, why is that, up to March 31st, you only have twenty kills with it across competitive and arena? For comparison, I have 954 kills with it across competitive and Invasion, and I stopped playing Reach in January.

I don't know how the coolness factor about a weapon makes it overpowered, so I'll skip that.

I think your point about placing the grenade in a specific place to get a kill – and by "douche-E" I assume you mean players are being cheap when they do this – is a flawed point for the weapon being overpowered. Because the grenade bounces, it's very hard to place it on the ground where you want it to be. And, frankly, it takes a lot of patience to wait around for the opportune time – patience not many players have. As a result, not too many of the gun's kills are a result of this tactic. I'd be surprised if you had more than ten deaths, out of 119 according to Bnet, as a result of this course of action.
You should look at my kill count for all the power weapons. i dont use them nearly as often as other people. And until this past month, I hadn't touched Reach since October 2011.

I never said that the coolness factor of the weapon makes it OP. If that is how it sounded then my bad. I was just saying I think people look past the grenade launcher's power because it's fun to use. Doesn't change the fact that the grenade launcher is really powerful. And I'm guessing that half of people's grenade launcher kills or more aren't listed as grenade launcher kills since you just switch to your other weapon for clean up when the grenade doesn't one shot.

I can agree with the last part of what you said, but it's still possible and does happen a lot in maps with less moving room. Playing invasion is one case where map size helps to balance the grenade launcher's effectiveness since you have to deal with much more open spaces. In smaller arena sized maps, which tend to be my favorite kind, the grenade launcher is lethal.
You need to check his alternate account, XxDeputyPipeman.
You're not supposed to know about that account.
haha awesome name idea <3

Homeboyd

Look, I aint even that mad, I'm not a big Batman nut who really cares but I am going to see that film and I'd rather not know the ending. You're an intelligent poster so you must know, human nature being inquisitive as it is, if you advise not to do something without context then folks are going to want to know why they shouldn't and look for themselves. I mean, I expected somebody to have goatse tattooed on the back of their car so I was spoiled and disappointed! No hard feelings.
I know, I'm not even disagreeing with you. The second someone said they went and looked even though I said not to, I realized I should've added some context. And you guys who said I should've are right. It didn't play out like I anticipated.

I will next time. Apologies.

What you're commenting on is the exact opposite. If I said "holy shit, go check this thread out now! It's awesome!" with no context, and led you to spoilers... that's a dick move on my part. But good lord... "don't click this cesspool of a thread" should be an indicator. Next time, no warning. Click threads at your own peril.
If you didn't want people to click a link then why post it at all?

Homeboyd

If you didn't want people to click a link then why post it at all?
I didn't post a link.

Oh, oops. Clearly i followed this saga very poorly.
No worries. I said something along the lines of "Hey guys, if you happen to be skimming the OT, stay out of the [descriptor of thread name] thread. You've been warned." And in my mind, I thought... well most people will heed my warning (I did have good intentions), but if they don't they'll see 5 pages of people saying "WTF, did I just get TDKR spoilers!?" No one quoted the actual spoiler so you would've had to track down the actual post.

Bad move on my part. But yeah, if I provided a link and said "Don't click this!," I can certainly see how that's a dick move. I didn't though...

FyreWulff

Fuchsdh

Videogame industry is one of the most insular industries out there. Same with most places requiring that you've shipped at least one AAA game before they'll consider you.. and the only way to get hired on a AAA project is to have shipped one already.. yeaaaah

That's the world of bullshit employment, where companies want the skills but don't want to invest anything into getting those skills--so the only candidates they look for are people who already have experience, leaving entry guys to get burned because they have none and thus can't get a job to get any.

Ultimately, I'd argue this only hurts the companies themselves. By not taking time to foster talent they miss out, and by limiting their pool only to established workers you're much more likely to get bad workers who just happened to have stuck around a while (case study, the US federal government, where any experienced worker has an advantage because it's hard to fire people, and experienced people get pushed to the front of the line for new positions.)

Just looked at your competitive stats Dax. You have more grenade launcher kills than grenade and rocket launcher kills (that's insane). For a non-power weapon with a limited clip, i'd say that's been pretty useful for you :p
http://halo.xbox.com/en-US/career/haloreach/stats?gamerTag=dax01
dax_stats.jpg

Swarmerr

So let me get this straight. We are complaining about GL being OP but reach rockets are fine.

I don't.. I... sigh...

Only time I've ever been angry at the grenade launcher was in the hands of a Heretic Elite. Bastards.

Lol there is something extra infuriating about being killed by campaign or firefight ai.

Also getting on reach before I have to pack for the beach. (my friends are only going to allow me to play halo 3 at the beach seeing how I am using their xbox's)

I don't think I have met a group of people (my friends) who hate reach more than they do, it's like pulling teeth to get them to play it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
It's a shame the pro pipe isn't coming back because it apparently wasn't used enough.

Unfortunately they don't seem to realise that it was rare to be playing a map/gametype that had grenade launchers.

You should look at my kill count for all the power weapons. i dont use them nearly as often as other people. And until this past month, I hadn't touched Reach since October 2011.

I never said that the coolness factor of the weapon makes it OP. If that is how it sounded then my bad. I was just saying I think people look past the grenade launcher's power because it's fun to use. Doesn't change the fact that the grenade launcher is really powerful. And I'm guessing that half of people's grenade launcher kills or more aren't listed as grenade launcher kills since you just switch to your other weapon for clean up when the grenade doesn't one shot.
I'm confused. It's very simple to me. If a weapon is easy to use, and is, as you said,
but it's not considered a big power weapon and gets thrown onto maps in addition to the plethora of other power weapons
implying that a grenade launcher is very easy to find and get a hold of, then I don't see any reason to only have twenty kills with it. Especially compared to easier-to-use power weapons like the rocket launcher, which I think we can all agree is easier to use than the grenade launcher. Heading off the argument that it's because you played less games than I did, the percentage of my kills that are from the grenade launcher &#8211; 3.7% &#8211; is higher than your .11%.

If you were saying that people look past the weapon's true effectiveness because it's cool to get kills with, I think you're looking past the simple fact that most people don't think it's overpowered.

Before we delve deeper into this, it's important to make the following distinction: Are you saying, because it's easy to use (getting kills with the grenades themselves), it's overpowered, or are you saying that only certain aspects (EMP effect) about it are overpowered? Because those are two different points to be made, and I think in this post you begin to conflate the two. If you're talking about overall ease of use, then I disagree. If you're specifically talking about its EMP effect, then I think you have a good argument, though I think your plasma pistol analogy isn't perfect. The plasma pistol has a tracking mechanism, but with the grenade launcher you have to aim it and/or otherwise bounce it off a surface.

As for assigning the proper credit to the right weapon, if you kill someone with a PP + BR combo, you're not going to assign the kill to the plasma pistol.

I can agree with the last part of what you said, but it's still possible and does happen a lot in maps with less moving room. Playing invasion is one case where map size helps to balance the grenade launcher's effectiveness since you have to deal with much more open spaces. In smaller arena sized maps, which tend to be my favorite kind, the grenade launcher is lethal.

Can the grenade launcher be overpowered in certain situations? Sure. A lot of weapons have that aspect about them. Does that mean the weapon is overpowered as a whole? I don't think so.

The grenade launcher would be overpowered if you started with one in a BTB game for the same reasons a plasma pistol would be. Is it overpowered in the situations you just described? I never said people planting the grenade was an impossibility &#8211; just that it was rare. My experience in matchmaking, it seems, has been completely different from yours. Unless my memory is full of holes. Even in the smaller, enclosed maps, hardly anyone waited around to get a kill with the weapon. Out of the many kills I have with the gun, I don't recall using that tactic to any great effect, though I do have two instances in which it worked out up on my fileshare. (One and two). Place the grenades in the right spot required a lot of luck in both situations.

I don't consider it overpowered. Whenever I pick it up, I usually get one or two kills for the eight grenades I'm given. I have many videos highlighting my best streaks, but those are not representative of the norm.

Edit: IN SUMMARY: Watch my pro-pipe videos.

Yea, the website has awesome art work for a bunch of different franchises.

I got this way back when ODST was released:

ac-hloodstgp02.jpg

Probably my favorite piece of Halo artwork that I own...
Yep. I have the "Let's Rock" from HaloFest last year and I like it a lot. It nails the Halo feeling very well. And I got the Alien-like Halo art piece which was HaloFest exclusive.
It was sort of like a "How it's Made" video. Not really something for theaters. There are some game tidbits in it as well as some really nice music.
We getting a video today, or are my sources batshit insane?
It has distribution limited by guild rules but there might be ways to distribute outside of theaters. This runs in ad blocks - Fandango, Coke etc, not in trailer reels.
So I am not sure if the trailer hits the web today. But I am not sure if Stinkles' post was specific about the trailer or only generalized.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So my new travel bag is military style and has velcro areas for a name badge and platoon logo badge. I'm thinking I need to find some cool Halo themed badges.

Hoping Frank and team have more ONI badges at PAX, I could attach that in the logo area. Should get my last name for the name area or something.

Yep. I have the "Let's Rock" from HaloFest last year and I like it a lot. It nails the Halo feeling very well. And I got the Alien-like Halo art piece which was HaloFest exclusive.

So I am not sure if the trailer hits the web today. But I am not sure if Stinkles' post was specific about the trailer or only generalized.
Just release it everywhere. I know they are going for the games and movies are made in similar ways, but what's the point of making it theater exclusive?
They already explained why.
The guy who made the model for it in Reach is working on Halo 4.
I know, I was being sarcastic...
lol - one dude suggested the GL was overpowered, and now the thread is full of people talking about how the whole thread is complaining that the GL is overpowered.

It's not fucking overpowered. Nobody ever said it was. (Well, that one dude did.) Move on. (More slowly.)
GL is overpowered.

Louis Wu

lol - one dude suggested the GL was overpowered, and now the thread is full of people talking about how the whole thread is complaining that the GL is overpowered.

It's not fucking overpowered. Nobody ever said it was. (Well, that one dude did.) Move on. (More slowly.)

But, Pa, I like my big substantive posts that I don't have a reason to make too often!

A lemmings take on 'telephone'?

It was the first time the phrase Chinese Whispers struck me as offensive, so I went off to wikipedia to see what it was also called.

FyreWulff

Halo's aerial combat leaves a lot to be desired, especially in mp.

I consider the Banshee to be like the Scorpion - a Halo staple, but not really balanced (or balance capable) for normal multiplayer.

The actually balanced for online multiplayer vehicles that fit the same roles would be the Falcon and the Wraith.

The angle limiter went a long way to controlling it in 3, not sure why it was removed for Reach.

I consider the Banshee to be like the Scorpion - a Halo staple, but not really balanced (or balance capable) for normal multiplayer.

The actually balanced for online multiplayer vehicles that fit the same roles would be the Falcon and the Wraith.

The angle limiter went a long way to controlling it in 3, not sure why it was removed for Reach.
Most of the aerial vehicles are meant to take on ground targets. I wish that there was some really great air to air combat. Banshee vs Banshee is about as interesting as it gets, which is not interesting.

Most of the aerial vehicles are meant to take on ground targets. I wish that there was some really great air to air combat. Banshee vs Banshee is about as interesting as it gets, which is not interesting.

Not really.

Banshee versus Falcon, is amazingly fun in reach.

Granted, the big factor that plays into it, is the ability of the pilot itself.

Chasing a banshee in a falcon, twisting and turning, trying to get an elevation to both hit the banshee from above and escape it powerful bolts is awesome.

I try to do it all the time on spire. Doesn't always work, but the battles are just plain fun.

Not really.

Chasing a banshee in a falcon, twisting and turning, trying to get an elevation to both hit the banshee from above and escape it powerful bolts is awesome.

I try to do it all the time on spire. Doesn't always work, but the battles are just plain fun.

But that's just because you're a bad pilot. I'm always the better pilot. I even wear the pilot helmet.

But as you said, the Falcon vs Banshee battles are always awesome, as are Falcon vs Falcon battles. Hopefully, 343 added a passenger's sead to the Falcon. It's the only thing that's missing from it.

What are you talking about? Stinkles just sits at his desk typing in random numbers that somehow ends turning into a game and using google docs to manage playlists.

EDIT: Seeing all the aspects that go into game making wasn't really a shock to me. I never thought it was a simple endeavor. It always baffles me and excites me how 200+ people with different backgrounds build a world from scratch, literally. I was mostly interested in the techniques they were using and some of the tidbits that showed off the final project. The video delivered.

I think it's a fair point to say that this really only applies to AAA games for the most part. Even then, in many cases, the vast majority of man hours are spent on code, bug fixes, etc. Many of the artists in most games spend a large amount of their time in front of a computer screen still.

I would contend that this trailer isn't really for us. It's for the standard movie goer/citizen that doesn't play video games or does and doesn't think about the effort put into a game. I wouldn't expect anything in the video really struck as surprising or totally new to anyone that might be in this thread.

Like you mentioned, the most we'll get out of it is really if we're interested in the techniques and whatnot that go into the craft.

Not really.

That is my point. The aerial combat consists of what you just posted, nothing more. Even then how often does that an encounter like that actually happen?

The Banshee and Falcon feel like bombers, I think there should be vehicles that play the role of escort fighters where fast paced dog fights happen.

It isn't something that Halo is in dire need of, but it is one of the reasons I never engage in aerial combat, I don't find anything thrilling or fun about it. That and you just end up getting killed by anti-vehicle weapons in an instant.

5UKNQ.png

That is my point. The aerial combat consists of what you just posted, nothing more. Even then how often does that an encounter like that actually happen?

The Banshee and Falcon feel like bombers, I think there should be vehicles that play the role of escort fighters where fast paced dog fights happen.

It isn't something that Halo is in dire need of, but it is one of the reasons I never engage in aerial combat, I don't find anything thrilling or fun about it. That and you just end up getting killed by anti-vehicle weapons in an instant.

Every match on spire for me personally, but in the grand scheme of things, I get what you're saying, sure.

There is not much you can do with it, in terms of the sandbox, when it's placed in small (even BTB) maps made for infantry combat intrinsically.

But that's just because you're a bad pilot. I'm always the better pilot. I even wear the pilot helmet.

But as you said, the Falcon vs Banshee battles are always awesome, as are Falcon vs Falcon battles. Hopefully, 343 added a passenger's sead to the Falcon. It's the only thing that's missing from it.

They would be more awesome, if you were better at shooting them down! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom