• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.axd
Dammit. 343 should know better, as it's the very best way to play firefight. You also end up with much smoother games.

I doubt I'll be jumping back into full on firefight then. Just keep it to solo or custom games.

The build you saw the weapons on was a week or so old, so it's close to what will be submitted, but not final. Compared with E3 builds which are quite dusty now, it was very recent. 88 days to go. Less for us, obviously.
The game looks like something fun that I want to play. Great video, and I can't wait to hear more detail in the podcast.

I may be late on this as I just saw the Weapon Sounds video for the first time a few minutes ago... But did you guys notice this weapon around 0:48? Seems like a new Forerunner weapon to me.

4jyHZ.jpg

The SAW also took me by surprise. Was this the first time it was shown? I honestly didn't expect this many new weapons anymore after that one press release ("10 new weapons" or something).

Nevermind if this was talked about already. Can't keep up with this thread at the moment.

You know, I just realized where we have seen that gun before:

C9afB.jpg

Seems instead of a solid laser blast though it has more of an plasma explosion now:

Computron-Stabalized-Flame-Gun.gif

This is good.

So what does BJ look like now?
(I can't see the tweet because you blocked me for some reason)

NSFW, he can't post that.

I said bloom was bad. 343 took over and instituted less bloom and no bloom into many playlists and was celebrated for it. I'm not taking responsibility for any of that, but I think it's pretty clear that bloom as intended was not well liked, and as someone who faced a wall of people defending 100% bloom long before you even started reading HaloGAF, yes, I do feel as though I was proven right.
Many people did and still do find it to be an attractive design within Reach's sandbox. I play standard Reach all the time, and I love the way the weapons play against each other. The DMR is a monster in 1.0, it didn't require a buff. The TU was valuable for giving players options, but it didn't create a more balanced game (it introduced glitches, and yeah, I can say glitches now (Napsta) because the bloom adjustment never worked consistently).

Which is a problem. I'm not sure why people attempt to use a lack of options as a trump card. Oh your game doesn't let you do this, well THIS game doesn't let you do THIS! Limiting options that have no effect on other people's enjoyment of the game is not something to be happy about.
You make a perfectly reasonable point, but you missed the purpose of my illustrative comment: your usage of Call of Duty as a measuring tool to Halo is fallacious, especially when it involves the inherent qualities of their respective engines. I wasn't sincerely offering the argument that Halo shouldn't provide features that Call of Duty doesn't, silly. It was satire.

Well, I did it anyway. Excuse the crappy quality.

UNSC weapons video-sacred icon soundtrack.
Great stuff, I'll be watching this version from now on.

Likewise. My favorite aspect of the game will be gone.
I say there should be a going away party sometime this weekend.

As a fan of metal, I entirely disagree. I thought they did a superb job, totally overcoming the lackluster pop music choices on the H2V1 soundtrack to make it a great album overall.
I like Incubus (up until Murder of Crows), but thought that they and the other rock stuff seemed out of place in the game. I guess I just got spoiled on the orchestral pieces and didn't see a need to add some metal. IMO, that stuff should be part of a montage of some sort.

Dammit. 343 should know better, as it's the very best way to play firefight. You also end up with much smoother games.

I doubt I'll be jumping back into full on firefight then. Just keep it to solo or custom games.
Same here. Actually, I don't remember ever playing Reach FF with 3 other people that are on my Friends List, which is kinda sad.

u4iX

So we have the UNSC Pistol secondary, Plasma Pistol secondary, this "Promethean Mauler" secondary, but when do we get to see the SMG secondary? I'm excited though.

I'll probably be using the UNSC Pistol to start with and test to see if it's fast to switch to a Pistol, throw a nade, then switch back.

I already know YBB for up close melee fights with a Pistol will be sick.

Sai-kun

Banned
Can we go back to talking about dubstep? I enjoy that more.

someone recommend me something new to listen to. i need some new jams

I am very very excited to get my hands on this game. Loadouts and specializations and stuff are actually not sounding like terrible ideas right now.

Obviously this is wild speculation based only on words and quick snippets of video, but here's the things I like the sound of, and also the things I'm fretful about:

AR: I'm glad it "might feel underpowered" compared to previous iterations, but also that it's a little more accurate at range, which makes me more inclined to touch it at all; I only hope this comes with a concomitant bump in the difficulty of using it effectively.

BR: It sounds to me like it's reliable and familiar, but not the be-all and end-all, as it should be. If it's a five-shot kill, though, it's definitely not what it was in Halo 3, in part because of the constraints of the magazine.

DMR: I'm glad this is powerful, especially at range, but I'm also worried, as Ghaleon is, about the effect that power has on bigger maps, especially when coupled with a 3x scope.

Pistol: The 'speediness' of transitions to and from the pistol could well be useful, but otherwise they make it sound sort of flimsy (and short on ammo, again).

Shotgun: Interesting to read the balancing act given, e.g., sprint as standard, because I think there's a danger of a lot of weapons becoming more 'neutral' and less context-specific, which sort of blurs the lines between them. This is probably intentional, but it's certainly a change from Halos of old, and genuinely does smack of CoD, where the reasons to favour one weapon over another in different situations are relatively minor and more about preference than performance. This is the wildest of all my speculation, I admit.

SAW: Interesting concept, not sure about the execution. As others have said, I'd prefer if it was an out and out weapon of suppression, with a deep clip but little accuracy. But then maybe that's how it is, as the descriptions of it vary wildly among Frankie, David, Chris, and Chris H.? I want to believe that it's "a lot of spread ... and an enormous drum barrel magazine".

Sticky Detonator: Yeah, yeah, okay, but you robbed me of my trusty GL, and I still need to be convinced.

Railgun: Ruh-roh. I'm not saying this doesn't look cool as shit, but "it’s basically a Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher, and Spartan Laser all wrapped into one" is alarming. Although again there's a contradiction with "hardly a giant-killer".

Spartan Laser: "Definitely just as challenging to use as before", huh? So, not challenging at all? Does anyone still recall the Halo 3-era discussion of the SL on GAF? That gun ended worlds and friendships. And the 'solution' in Reach, rather than make it more skillful, was to reduce the clip by one and make it a little less powerful, which made it feel more inconsistent: most of the time it still ended worlds; other times not so much. Not sure I'm gonna hate it any less this time out.

Rocket Launcher: Ridiculously overpowered in Reach, especially the spread. Four free kills, needs no aiming. Increased movement speeds in 4 might have mitigated the speed and spread, so why were they boosted again? Worrisome.

Sniper Rifle: Again, opinions seem all over the map, but I'm sure it's fine. The recoil is interesting, because there seems to be inconsistent application of, variously, recoil, bloom, spread, etc. across the weapons, and I'm curious how that inconsistency is going to feel going from one to another. Right now, it sounds like the game represents the laws of physics differently from gun to gun?

I guess my overarching concern is that the small arms and default weapons are going to feel less distinct from one another, while the combinations of different ordnance drops and armour abilities etc. make defending against certain things more improbable on a given spawn. You're just going to have to suck up getting mauled by the guy with rockets or railgun on this life, just because you didn't bring x to that firefight; try respawning with something different in your hands/suit next time! As opposed to being able to adapt to changing contexts (i.e., find and switch up your loadout in play) and stay alive for longer. The latter is part of 'Halo' to me, the former more like CoD. I don't mean that to be disparaging, just different. And I won't know how I feel about it until I'm playing.

Fuchsdh

Where were you when waypoint went through its opinion phase to discredit any and every criticism of halo.

I have tried dealing with the people who don't understand the difference between "cannon" and "canon". It's just not worth arguing with those folks.

Same here. Actually, I don't remember ever playing Reach FF with 3 other people that are on my Friends List, which is kinda sad.
The last few times I tried standard firefight at least one of us would lag out or bloop into their own private shadow Firefight universes. Rarely had these problems in doubles.

nillapuddin

From my POV, im seeing the DMR as a 4SK and BR as 5SK

I feel like they "told" us plenty, slower fire rate, harder to get headshots, the pin-point accuracy almost hinders it in retirn fire.

You want to use DMR, you think your a champ?

Well here you go, its accurate as all get out, and you only have 2 bailout shots to make up for it.

You cant panic shoot with the DMR, you must be surgical, and thats where I think they feel comfortable giving it the 1SK advantage over the much more user friendly BR

I dont think the difference between 4-5SK will be vast.

DMR players wont just mow down an entire battlefield, but in its niche, in its proper sandbox usage, it will have an advantage over the BR

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm always scouring the recesses of the toobs for topics and specific questions I think people will want answered. Feel free to keep throwing them my way.
I've got some questions:
What are the problems with the Grenade Launcher that resulted in it being removed and how does the Sticky Detonator fix these problems?
Why can't there be both a Sticky Detonator and Grenade Launcher in the game?

cocamola

Banned
In Halo 4 i was going to BR all the way, but now. I think the DMR is the way forward. In the hands of a capable user it's going to dominate.

L1NETT

Has it been confirmed how many maps are gonna ship? Thread moves too fast to keep up.

10 maps

Great post Shake, I agree with most of what you said.

One thing, Splaser will hopefully only be on a limited number of modes and playlists. I certainly don't want to see it on Haven Infinity Slayer for example.

I would like to point out that the loadout system and the support upgrades and tactical packages will be part of that matrix of thought. Again, in playlists where stuff is wide open, Halo 4 is going to push people towards defining play styles that map to their strengths and weaknesses, as well as what loadouts they carry.
So you're saying sometimes I'll be in a BR duel and my opponent will fire an extra round I don't expect? And then my DMR will not be as effective against the next guy's shields as usual? Superb, that'll feel truly unpredictable with some lag tacked on. It's like every new battle will herald a new and disturbing discovery; I can't wait to never know what what I'm going up against ever again!

Perhaps Promethean Vision could detail a player's loadout above their head?

(This post sounds like it was brought to you by Team Downer, and I'm sorry for that, but it's starting to sound like the 'sandbox' is more of a trackless, unpredictable desert extending in all directions.)

Karl2177

I am very very excited to get my hands on this game. Loadouts and specializations and stuff are actually not sounding like terrible ideas right now.

I haven't been on Spotify in sooooooo long. And I haven't listened to anything incredibly new either.

Portugeezer

Railgun: Ruh-roh. I'm not saying this doesn't look cool as shit, but "it’s basically a Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher, and Spartan Laser all wrapped into one" is alarming. Although again there's a contradiction with "hardly a giant-killer".

I think the concern is not needed, just from the video alone it's clear it's basically a Brute Shot (though the projectile is a lot faster) which is a 1 direct hit kill.

Kendrick Lamar : The Recipe.

Courtesy of GAF-Hop.

If I have a railgun and I kill a guy, I don't need to be told that I've just got a railgun kill. Likewise with any other weapon in the game. After the match I might be curious as to how many kills with the laser I got for example, but that's what medals are for and/or the stats on Waypoint.

Said messages in-game in the middle of your screen are redundant. It was even said that you don't notice them as you're playing... so why are they there in the first place?
I don't want to have to go to the nightmare that is Waypoint for anything, ever. Hopefully, I can have as much relevant info/stats in the game.

Amazing GIF.
The greatest of all videogame word crimes is people who call levels "sheets" or "boards" which is a term that probably goes back to Space Invaders, but definitely Galaxian.
Yeah I have a friend that always calls maps in videogames 'boards'. My brain does a "Wait, What" every single time I hear it.
Many people did and still do find it to be an attractive design within Reach's sandbox. I play standard Reach all the time, and I love the way the weapons play against each other. The DMR is a monster in 1.0, it didn't require a buff. The TU was valuable for giving players options, but it didn't create a more balanced game (it introduced glitches, and yeah, I can say glitches now (Napsta) because the bloom adjustment never worked consistently).
I don't think that Kyle was arguing the balance of the sandbox, just the mechanic of bloom itself. You can certain make the argument that the sandbox is better balanced with the original 100% bloom, but that doesn't mean that bloom as implemented in Reach doesn't suck as a mechanic. It introduces a huge random element into the game as it's very inconsistent, it makes things sloooooow, it's not at all a fun mechanic to use as the player, and it flat out ruins the reliability and usefulness of some guns (Magnum). There is a reason you don't see similar bloom across Halo 4.

Bloom adjustment is fine, don't listen to firewulf.

Sai-kun

Banned

I unironically enjoy Me and My Imagination. Killer song. I know she's got a great voice too, but I wouldn't know where to start with her. You know I love pop music, though! Recommend me an album.

I haven't been on Spotify in sooooooo long. And I haven't listened to anything incredibly new either.

Gotta update dat playlist.

Kendrick Lamar : The Recipe.

Courtesy of GAF-Hop.

I will check it out. Thanks!

I hope there isn't an abundance of power weapons everywhere like I feel there are sometimes in Reach, where it can seem like everybody's got rocks or shotty except for you. Sometimes I just wanna out DMR/BR folks one on one, you know?

Edit: if you're lying about H4/MD, I will literally come to your house and shitpost on your account to get you banned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUGzY-ihqWc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W04IKR1E2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnQon5jolI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VLaXoRRdk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MITA4FhVjDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpEOErRV-u4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r26y--evIw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom