• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be worthwhile to set up a community wide Googledoc that anyone can edit where people post their question about halo 4, Make sure its moderated so shitty already know stuff is ignored and removed and hopefully they could pick the best questions from it in a podcast and answer them.

Push around all the Halo Community sites im sure many of us have at least some in roads into other halo communities.

Edit: top of the page with a shitty idea, :(

According to my objective fun-ometer device, it is.

It's inherently frustrating because there is no ideal firing rate, it's based on your connection and shear luck.

If you think those aspects are fun, then you obviously have the right to feel that way, but I find it baffling.

It's inherently frustrating because there is no ideal firing rate, it's based on your connection and shear luck.

If you think those aspects are fun, then you obviously have the right to feel that way, but I find it baffling.
Bloom is always consistent (except in TU settings) because it is a client-side mechanic. It had nothing to do with whether the bullet you fire connects (this is based on the trajectory at which you fire and your reported position to the host, and the target's reported position). It is much more obvious when someone eats a bullet in ZB, though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
True, he's got his own podcast. He probably wouldn't want HaloGAF Radio taking hits from his own.

(just to be clear, I'm kidding, zoo joo)

When you switch to it and start firing before the bloom settles?

For me, it doesn't even matter whether the bloom has settled. Pretty much every time I pick up the Needle Rifle, it's 100% bloom. I hate Elite Slayer already, but now it's an insta-quit.

For me, it doesn't even matter whether the bloom has settled. Pretty much every time I pick up the Needle Rifle, it's 100% bloom. I hate Elite Slayer already, but now it's an insta-quit.

Weird, i just hold the trigger down and get zero bloom every time. (in 85% gametypes)

Try that.

EDIT: What TU playlist are you getting Elite Slayer in anyway?

Bloom is always consistent (except in TU settings) because it is a client-side mechanic. It had nothing to do with whether the bullet you fire connects (this is based on the trajectory at which you fire and your reported position to the host, and the target's reported position). It is much more obvious when someone eats a bullet in ZB, though.
Bloom makes this shot hit sometime, sometimes it makes it not hit. That's consistent if I've ever seen it.
30857.jpg

I've never run into this bloom glitch and I think most of GAF has never run into it, and it seems to happen to you all the time. So weird.
Frankie is too big time for us at the moment. Guy's a rockstar

I'm always down to do the podcast if you need someone.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Weird, i just hold the trigger down and get zero bloom every time. (in 85% gametypes)

Try that.
Whoa, you're getting the opposite of what I'm getting? Wtf. I'll mess with it some more today.

2011 Gamefuel had double xp with MW3, wonder if it will carry over for Halo 4
If so, first few weeks of Halo 4 matchmaking will be paradise. Get to dong on all the new scrubs while getting double the Spartan Points. Sign me up.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
True, he's got his own podcast. He probably wouldn't want HaloGAF Radio taking hits from his own.

Lol nah it just wouldn't be right to have a junior on when there are plenty of old school members.

OK - I've thought a bit more over my lunch hour about this, and I'm 100% certain that Poets of the Fall aka Old Gods of Asgard need to be involved with the Halo soundtrack in some way.

Seriously, 343/MS. Get them to take some time away from their extremely awesome Alan Wake productions to lend to the Halo tunes. My ears are ready.

daedalius

Bloom makes this shot hit sometime, sometimes it makes it not hit. That's consistent if I've ever seen it.

I've never run into this bloom glitch and I think most of GAF has never run into it, and it seems to happen to you all the time. So weird.

I'm always down to do the podcast if you need someone.

To contribute to the conversation, bloom is like dice; the bigger the bloom, the bigger the dice and the smaller number you need to hit increasing exponentially with how big the bloom gets.

Do you really want dice based weapons in a shooter? I sure don't, I have enough shots miss that barely have a chance to in Warhammer.

You hated Armor Lock because it's fucking bullshit.

That's what you were screaming, admit it. You'd have meticulously dropped someone's shields, or waltzed around a corner with the rocket (read: portable nuke) launcher, and just as you let that killing round fly... bzzzap. Nope. And what flew from your mouth?

"Fucking bullshit."

The problem with Armor Lock was complicated; a lot of factors were at play. People labelled it a "pause button" for combat, a get out of jail card for bad play, and so on and so forth, and I don't really want to get into all the reasons it sucked. But an important part of the frustration it induced was that the pause button it hammered down was suddenly and disturbingly unexpected.

There is a narrative in your head in the kinds of situations described above, drilled into you by hundreds if not thousands of hours of play (hint: it's "I'm winning this fight"), and Armor Lock just rips up the script. You knew what should have happened, and yet something outside of your control, something barely inside the other player's control ("press button to not die"), cancelled it in an instant. No fair. Bullshit.

Sure, we want games to be unpredictable to a certain extent. But we want that unpredictability to be introduced by human action. We want someone to strafe a way we didn't expect, and then pull out a perfect four-shot with their shield already down while we fumbled for the headshot. We want them to skip a grenade so sweetly into our teeth that we shake our head in admiration, not rage. We want them to take off our head with a no-scope when we so nearly had them, damn it ... so why are we smiling? Because those deaths were our fault, and theirs. That's what we tell ourselves -- that if we could do it again we could do something better, crouch that little bit sooner, pull up our reticle that little bit faster... next time, next time. Respawn, fail again, fail better.

Armor Lock is from that dark hell of gameplay where it seems like there wasn't anything to be done. Sure, we could have found out from our teammates that our enemy had Armor Lock at the press of his thumb, but we still have to play along, still have to shoot him knowing that... bzzzap. Nope. We did everything right, and we still didn't get the appropriate result, because there was a joker in the pack, and we got trumped.

Now I want to paint a nightmare scenario. This is scaremongering, of course, but... Halo 4 potentially has one hundred jokers in its pack. One hundred little Armor Locks hidden away in some frightful combination of weapon and armor and loadout and circumstances and whatever else. One hundred little moments of unconquerable frustration -- none of them nearly as extreme or blatantly 'bullshit' as Armor Lock, obviously, but still irritating in aggregate -- when someone does something you couldn't predict unless you treat every encounter as open and unknowable. Unless you go into every fight with your shoulders shrugged, expecting anything. Meanwhile, you don't know how many rounds are in his gun, how many grenades he can throw, how long it takes his shields to recharge, how he's even going to move. Often you won't know what rabbit he can pull out of the hat next, because it didn't come from the field of play; it came from the start menu. You'll do your best, but quite often you will lose your life, your streak, your game when the die your opponent rolls comes up with seven pips.

Unpredictable opponents are fun; unpredictable systems are not. There's a reason chess is regarded as the purest game of skill: all the pieces are showing. In Halo, you should be able, ideally, to approach a situation with your eyes open and your wits about you and your thumbs twitching, and be confident you'll be beaten only by a better player, and not trumped by some shark repellent spray from their unknowable utility belt. Figuratively speaking.

I want so desperately to be wrong.

It's been confirmed no Halo at Gamescon then? Nexy going, maybe he can record Hypertrooper dancing instead or something.
I won't be there. I am in Cologne maybe but not at the GamesCom.

The exact wording leaves a lot of room for interpretation:

Which game modes have a cult following? If we confine this to matchmaking game types and not some custom game I'm not aware of, I'd say the Community playlists (MLG, Grifball, etc.). Living Dead is certainly popular, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of respect; the use of "legit" made me think of it. But if it has a cult following, yeah, it's a pretty big cult.
I am personally thinking of Living Dead. I know some creepy people who loves that shit out of the game. But the word legit could mean everything. Is the legit related to design? Gameplay? Otherwise the note that the change could be a "mainstream breakthrough" for the gametype, makes me to believe it is not Living Dead because it has a big audience already. Seriously it is one of the playlist with the biggest population in Reach.
Rocket Launcher: Ridiculously overpowered in Reach, especially the spread. Four free kills, needs no aiming. Increased movement speeds in 4 might have mitigated the speed and spread, so why were they boosted again? Worrisome.
The explosion radius is not as big as it was in other Halo Games. Or it looks like it in the MLG videos and the UNSC video. Still could mean worse for 1vs1 in close distance.

And I personally agree about the statement of the DMR. But we do not know how the maps will look like. Are there straight shooting lines like Reach's BTB maps?

a zoojoo

Banned
HaloGAF Radio tomorrow at like 7 or 8pm Easter.. Need a guest. No juniors.

Ok.

Lol nah it just wouldn't be right to have a junior on when there are plenty of old school members.
who's a junior?

I'm actually recording my podcast saturday. <3.

u4iX

That's what you were screaming, admit it. You'd have meticulously dropped someone's shields, or waltzed around a corner with the rocket (read: portable nuke) launcher, and just as you let that killing round fly... bzzzap. Nope. And what flew from your mouth?

"Fucking bullshit."

The problem with Armor Lock was complicated; a lot of factors were at play. People labelled it a "pause button" for combat, a get out of jail card for bad play, and so on and so forth, and I don't really want to get into all the reasons it sucked. But an important part of the frustration it induced was that the pause button it hammered down was suddenly and disturbingly unexpected.

There is a narrative in your head in the kinds of situations described above, drilled into you by hundreds if not thousands of hours of play (hint: it's "I'm winning this fight"), and Armor Lock just rips up the script. You knew what should have happened, and yet something outside of your control, something barely inside the other player's control ("press button to not die"), cancelled it in an instant. No fair. Bullshit.

Sure, we want games to be unpredictable to a certain extent. But we want that unpredictability to be introduced by human action. We want someone to strafe a way we didn't expect, and then pull out a perfect four-shot with their shield already down while we fumbled for the headshot. We want them to skip a grenade so sweetly into our teeth that we shake our head in admiration, not rage. We want them to take off our head with a no-scope when we so nearly had them, damn it ... so why are we smiling? Because those deaths were our fault, and theirs. That's what we tell ourselves -- that if we could do it again we could do something better, crouch that little bit sooner, pull up our reticle that little bit faster... next time, next time. Respawn, fail again, fail better.

Armor Lock is from that dark hell of gameplay where it seems like there wasn't anything to be done. Sure, we could have found out from our teammates that our enemy had Armor Lock at the press of his thumb, but we still have to play along, still have to shoot him knowing that... bzzzap. Nope. We did everything right, and we still didn't get the appropriate result, because there was a joker in the pack, and we got trumped.

Now I want to paint a nightmare scenario. This is scaremongering, of course, but... Halo 4 potentially has one hundred jokers in its pack. One hundred little Armor Locks hidden away in some frightful combination of weapon and armor and loadout and circumstances and whatever else. One hundred little moments of unconquerable frustration -- none of them nearly as extreme or blatantly 'bullshit' as Armor Lock, obviously, but still irritating in aggregate -- when someone does something you couldn't predict unless you treat every encounter as open and unknowable. Unless you go into every fight with your shoulders shrugged, expecting anything. Meanwhile, you don't know how many rounds are in his gun, how many grenades he can throw, how long it takes his shields to recharge, how he's even going to move. Often you won't know what rabbit he can pull out of the hat next, because it didn't come from the field of play; it came from the start menu. You'll do your best, but quite often you will lose your life, your streak, your game when the die your opponent rolls comes up with seven pips.

Unpredictable opponents are fun; unpredictable systems are not. There's a reason chess is regarded as the purest game of skill: all the pieces are showing. In Halo, you should be able, ideally, to approach a situation with your eyes open and your wits about you and your thumbs twitching, and be confident you'll be beaten only by a better player, and not trumped by some shark repellent spray from their unknowable utility belt. Figuratively speaking.

Shake Appeal, now is not the time for fear! That comes later.

Seriously, when 343 first announced there would be differences in armor when using different abilities, I was hoping for a distinct difference in helmets, body armor, or even shields when taking damage (shields flash red when Pro Vision is equipped, blue with Hardlight, purple with thruster, etc).

Then I found out the differences were a tiny laser pointer that shoots from one eye with Pro Vision, and a back pack only visible from your back for others.

343, implement the shield idea. It'll be the bees knees.

Would it be worthwhile to set up a community wide Googledoc that anyone can edit where people post their question about halo 4, Make sure its moderated so shitty already know stuff is ignored and removed and hopefully they could pick the best questions from it in a podcast and answer them.

Push around all the Halo Community sites im sure many of us have at least some in roads into other halo communities.

Edit: top of the page with a shitty idea, :(
Sounds Good. I'll try to be helpful and I know a lot of people to get your idea going. The only communities that are well updated of what're already known to be confirmed, Is HBO, THC, HaloGAF. It would be helpful of a separate list to provide facts to avoid repetive questions, but that'll be a huge list.

8 paragraphs

I hate armor lock because it is a pause button, but not because it is unpredictable.
It wouldn't matter it I could know an enemy has armor lock before I engage them.
There is NOTHING I can do to counter it, besides avoiding them completely, which is often not an option.

Fracas

#fuckonami
As part of my break from Halo, I'm now plowing through my single-player games.

Up next: finishing The Force Unleashed II.

Lawdy.

Swarmerr

"Fucking bullshit."

clap.gif

Are we still going to be able to play on Headlong or Timberland with these playlist updates? I would assume not, unless anniversary classic is 5v5 or something.

I still need to get that achievement where you prevent the other team from touching the flag in a 1 flag game on a defiant map. I have never even played 1 flag on a defiant map.

Seriously, when 343 first announced there would be differences in armor when using different abilities, I was hoping for a distinct difference in helmets, body armor, or even shields when taking damage (shields flash red when Pro Vision is equipped, blue with Hardlight, purple with thruster, etc).
This would be super-confusing for anyone who didn't play the game all the time, though. I'm not even being sarcastic. Although it would be interesting for teams to call out enemy abilities to one another.

Agreed, Shake Appeal. That's my biggest complaint with every game that uses perks and that other nonsense. It oftentimes feels like my opponent defeated me because he won a loadout rock-paper-scissors match.

"Fucking bullshit."

Wow. This might be the best critique of loadouts/armor abilities/COD-ification of multiplayer that I've read. Perfectly summed up.

I don't mind a little chaos in my games, but I can absolutely appreciate where you're coming from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom