• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblur1

Gonna have to agree with Shake here. Armor Lock totally paused the action and it was something the player could perform at will multiple times in one instant. Not fun. And fighting opponents without knowledge of what they're capable of is frustrating and not fun either. It's going to be even worse now with tactical packages and mods that do not present a visual cue on the character model. I mean, if you see a player wielding a shotgun in a close quarters area then, because you have that knowledge, you can make the decision to steer clear of him/her. But what if his shotgun was invisible? That would be difficult to counter, if not impossible based on your own load out, and inherently frustrating.

Howdy

Neo Member
UNSC Weaponry

Armor Lock is fucking bullshit

It is posts like these that make me hesitate to click "Submit Reply" more often, and I mean that in a good way.

Excellent posts Shake. You've pretty much summed up my feelings on Halo 4 in a more articulate manner. I'm really hoping that I'll love this game, but there is this little voice of doubt in my head that will be there until I get to play it.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Montain Dew Incoming marketplace

293189_10151076189615772_1145148068_n.jpg

This is legit, its on the "Mt. Dew Tour UK" Facebook page under their images.

Hoping for actual Game Fuel instead of just different labels on regular and code red...

Korosenai

Meanwhile, you don't know how many rounds are in his gun, how many grenades he can throw, how long it takes his shields to recharge, how he's even going to move. Often you won't know what rabbit he can pull out of the hat next, because it didn't come from the field of play; it came from the start menu. You'll do your best, but quite often you will lose your life, your streak, your game when the die your opponent rolls comes up with seven pips.

Unpredictable opponents are fun; unpredictable systems are not.

In Halo, you should be able, ideally, to approach a situation with your eyes open and your wits about you and your thumbs twitching, and be confident you'll be beaten only by a better player, and not trumped by some shark repellent spray from their unknowable utility belt.

Great Post. This is what I don't like about armor abilities and specializations. You summed it up perfectly.

But I am still open to these ideas in Halo 4, and would like to try them out and see how they work.

I agree with Armor Lock critique, but have yet to see anything in Halo 4 that worries me as AL did/does.

I also agree with this. Only things that worry me in theory are the Jetpack, Auto turret, and Hardlight Shield.

Great Post. This is what I don't like about armor abilities and specializations. You summed it up perfectly.

Yep- this is why I've always felt that AA's should be placed on the maps strategically (on a per map basis) and function like power-ups in previous Halo games and should die with their user, starting a respawn timer for the AA. That way you have an idea of what's coming at you based on what area of the map your opponent(s) have recently had access to.

Hopefully this will be the type of approach taken in the "classic" style playlists in H4. And hopefully it shows up in more playlists than just MLG this go-around. And, obviously, "perks" should be disabled entirely for these hoppers as well. Loadouts don't really bother me, as long as they're well handled.

But I am still open to these ideas in Halo 4, and would like to try them out and see how they work.
So am I, so would I.

There have been quite a few things Halo has introduced over the years that I've worried about before release, or disliked after. Hasn't stopped me being on board for the series and buying the next game without hesitation.

There will be ten Infinity playlists, and one "classic" Slayer/Objective playlist. On those big ass maps we saw at E3, 4v4, no sprint, good luck finding anybody

u4iX

This would be super-confusing for anyone who didn't play the game all the time, though. I'm not even being sarcastic. Although it would be interesting for teams to call out enemy abilities to one another.

I shouldn't pick up the game and INSTANTLY know everything I need to, there has to be a learning process.

Colors => Abilities shouldn't be that hard.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There will be ten Infinity playlists, and one "classic" Slayer/Objective playlist. On those big ass maps we saw at E3, 4v4, no sprint, good luck finding anybody

Honestly, every playlist should have sprint. I'm sure they will have a throwback playlist or something for those who want no goodies added to the gameplay.

JackHerer

Hopefully the classic playlists will include forged remakes. Frankie did say they are working with community cartographers to have forge maps, "both familiar and new", ready at launch.

I would hope they commit to everyone having sprint always, in any game mode, just because it affects map design so much.

Homeboyd

It is posts like these that make me hesitate to click "Submit Reply" more often, and I mean that in a good way.

Excellent posts Shake. You've pretty much summed up my feelings on Halo 4 in a more articulate manner. I'm really hoping that I'll love this game, but there is this little voice of doubt in my head that will be there until I get to play it.
Tamu?

Korosenai

So am I, so would I.

There have been quite a few things Halo has introduced over the years that I've worried about before release, or disliked after. Hasn't stopped me being on board for the series and buying the next game without hesitation.

Exactly.

I can't wait for 343 to put out a specialization and armor ability video, kind of like that weapon one they did yesterday. That way we can see everything in action and how they perform.

Hopefully the Auto Turret will be limited to a very select few playlists or restricted to the campaign like it was in Halo 3. I just don't see how an auto turret would work in MP.

IHaveIce

Banned
It's been confirmed no Halo at Gamescon then? Nexy going, maybe he can record Hypertrooper dancing instead or something.

Nothing is confirmed nor denied. I could dance instead of Hyper, if you need a dancing German.

Gamefuel heh? Chance getting it here is like 0

Fracas

#fuckonami
Tis nessicary to regain to FPS throne from COD
No way in the world will Halo 4 outsell Black Ops 2. Not even on 360.
I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but there's no chance that it will outsell CoD.

The only thing that outsells a Call of Duty game is the one that comes after it.

a zoojoo

Banned
We'll need a miracle for that one...

I don't see how people can still play CoD. There's a reason I broke my MW3 disc...

I want to see Halo 4 trailers on every channel every other commercial break.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but there's no chance that it will outsell CoD.

The only thing that outsells a Call of Duty game is the one that comes after it.

It's like seeing Obama2012 campaign ads on every channel but Fox News, is what COD's Marketing is like. 343 should have a full blowout, they have the resources.

It's like seeing Obama2012 campaign ads on every channel but Fox News, is what COD's Marketing is like. 343 should have a full blowout, they have the resources.

It won't matter how many ads they have for the game, it's not going to be anywhere close to CoD numbers.

Only way Halo 5 has a chance is if CoD popularity dwindles.

Also, Mario Kart.

I wouldn't say that Halo 4 has absolutely no chance to outsell COD on the 360, it is literally all in how much they advertise. Battlefield 3 sold way more than expected because of their ridiculously expensive advertising campaign.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think Halo 4 can outsell CoD on 360. Overall, no, but on 360, potentially. Halo 3 sold about 12 mil, Blops 1 sold about 13 mil on 360. I think it's plausible.

I have a question that may or may not have already been answered:

Do the specializations like the extra ammo only work for certain weapons, or is it across the board? Do you get extra battery life out of the Covenant/Promethean weapons, or the >vomit< Spartan Laser? Does it only apply to starting and secondary weapons?

I totally agree with the thoughts that AA's and specializations need to be more obvious to opponents.

- Promethean Vision: Dr. Horrible goggles on your head
- Hard Light Shield - show the unit that deploys it on the right forearm
- Hologram - meh, doesn't need anything. Maybe include the stupid Schwarzenegger laugh from Total Recall.
- ?

Also, Mario Kart.

I wouldn't say that Halo 4 has absolutely no chance to outsell COD on the 360, it is literally all in how much they advertise. Battlefield 3 sold way more than expected because of their ridiculously expensive advertising campaign.

Still, it didnt outsell COD and their recents moves make me play the game less and less.

Fracas

#fuckonami
True, there's a possibility in the long run that Halo will sell more than BO2 on 360. But at launch it has no chance.
I don't even think in the long run. Isn't Modern Warfare 3 still consistently part of the top 10 in the NPD's? I don't know how Reach fared after 8 months.

I'd give Halo 5 a shot. Although that depends on Halo 4's quality.

Well there is no way they could buy more air time then M$. They have the funds to make this game huge.

Yes- but they're not just going to throw money down the drain, either. The level of frequency in any ad campaign will always be bound by a point of diminishing returns- where every additional dollar spent will create fewer sales than the dollar before it. It is foolish to spend very far past that point- you're effectively throwing money away after having already saturated your target audience.

From there, sales #'s depend on other factors: ie- the perceived quality of the game, pricing, timing of the release, etc.

That's what I'm saying, they have the resources to make Halo 4 "The Comeback Kid"

M$ is not so interested in selling copy's of Halo as they are console's. They want to push Xbox's with this game. Thats the money maker. Oh you bought a Xbox now pay us 60 a year for each live account in your family. Also be sure to indulge in all are over priced online goodies.

M$ is not so interested in selling copy's of Halo as they are console's. They want to push Xbox's with this game. Thats the money maker. Oh you bought a Xbox now pay us 60 a year for each account in your family. Also indulge in all are over priced online goodies.

Excellent point. MS is really the ultimate winner here.

a zoojoo

Banned
I'm not saying the there's a snowball's chance in hell of Halo 4 outselling BlOps 2 on the 360, 343 knows this, M$ knows this, but i'm saying that if they pump more money into marketing, they more more they will get in return. I mean go to gamestop, do you see a single Halo 4 poster anywhere on the windows on the outside, if you do, that's extremely rare, and it could be better.

I'm not saying the there's a snowball's chance in hell of Halo 4 outselling BlOps 2 on the 360, 343 knows this, M$ knows this, but i'm saying that if they pump more money into marketing, they more more they will get in return. I mean go to gamestop, do you see a single Halo 4 poster anywhere on the windows on the outside, if you do, that's extremely rare, and it could be better.

About a month ago the local gamestop by me had a Halo 4 stand and no BO2 stuff but now it's the opposite. Also, every time you make a purchase there, the cashier basically forces a preorder for BO2 on you. That may be because of the timed preorder bonuses or to remain console neutral, but I have never heard them ask me about a Halo 4 preorder.

I heard a rumor a long time ago about M$ getting rid of the Microsoft points BS. I really hope its true. I am tired of having to buy $10.00 wroth of point to rent a $5.00 movie. Its such a scam.
I just saw some article on gametrailers about real money purchases being a glitch.
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...glitch?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom