• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
play legendary (heroic could also work), with a few skulls on (you need them. put the useless ones on for sure). beat the missions as fast as you can and get as many sprees and multikills

I might do it in co-op after i beat the game. Legendary is not good for a first playthrough of a game. I beat Halo 1 and 2 on Heroic and there are some parts that would be tought as shit on Legendary as a first time player.

Never knew that whinning gets you all the attention in here... Sorta sucks when I actually ask an important question and get ignored while this guy rages about the game when he never even played it. Really sucks how he gets an instant response.
Lol so true. And I understand when others Do have good questions, they are overshadowed by the rage complaints, which sucks b'cuz it's a legitimate question that won't be harmful towards 343's progression.

nillapuddin

Isn't there a Specialization that does exactly that? I believe it was confirmed in one of the leaks.

whoa, whoa, from the podcast I thought that specializations were for advancing your character cosmetically and giving new career goals.

there better not be gameplay altering effects

Meta game achievements

If you put it on heroic and skulls with good modifiers your golden, make sure you dont have 6 skulls and only a 2.0 mod though, maybe picking "tougher" but fewer skulls can also work

p.s. yeah co-op sometimes gets dicey, making sure specific players have enough points

Trey

I'm not sure why there needs to be a special amount of context before disclosing how many bullets it takes to kill someone with a DMR.

Because people will compare it to previous Halo games, which have different mechanics and metrics that would confuse the issue. You don't know how the AA is on the DMR in H4, or how potent the strafe speed is, for example.

I might do it in co-op after i beat the game. Legendary is not good for a first playthrough of a game. I beat Halo 1 and 2 on Heroic and there are some parts that would be tought as shit on Legendary as a first time player.

co-op doesnt work so well (for scores). you need to share the wealth lol

So not only a 5sk BR but now a 14 round mag on the DMR?

The fuck is 343 thinking?

I seriously want to know what is going through their heads when they think this shit.

Answered a similar post on Waypoint...here ya go...

1. To stem overpowered precision weapons.

2. You have a secondary weapon to switch to.

3. You have grenades so technically you could grenade to enemies and wipe out 4-6 players, not just 3 as you suggest.

4. You have teammates for team firing, once again increasing kills to magnitudes higher than 3 enemies.

Limited thinking is limited mate.

DeadNames

Banned
Does anyone else think the yellow screen on the Railgun looks a bit strange? It looks a bit out of place... Maybe if it were purple or green. But yellow just looks... Odd.

kylej

Banned
Because people will compare it to previous Halo games, which have different mechanics and metrics that would confuse the issue. You don't know how the AA is on the DMR in H4, or how potent the strafe speed is, for example.

Translation: we nerfed it.

Tawpgun

whoa, whoa, from the podcast I thought that specializations were for advancing your character cosmetically and giving new career goals.

there better not be gameplay altering effects

Not sure if its called specializations... but there are ways to modify your loadout by what are essenitally "perks" Firepower is confirmed as being able to carry 2 primary weapons

FyreWulff

Halo Gaf, in Halo 3 how easy is it to get those campaign scoring achievements? Or do i need skulls on to get them? I'm playing on Heroic difficulty. Is Halo Wars easy on Heroic if you are not a noob at RTS?

They're relatively easy to get with skulls, you just have to kill fast and get to the end. On Flood levels, a couple of the skulls are basically free since they don't affect the flood.

The Ark and The Covenant are a bit more annoying, I recommend doing those co-op and your buddies letting you drive the Tank when available.

Wars is hard enough on Heroic, but it should be doable. Legendary is basically trial-and-error.

So not only a 5sk BR but now a 14 round mag on the DMR?

The fuck is 343 thinking?

I seriously want to know what is going through their heads when they think this shit.

Probably "we want someone to be able to kill up to 2 people with this full clip with a margin of error, then they have to reload or switch to their other weapon"?

Perhaps?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Answered a similar post on Waypoint...here ya go...

1. To stem overpowered precision weapons.

2. You have a secondary weapon to switch to.

3. You have grenades so technically you could grenade to enemies and wipe out 4-6 players, not just 3 as you suggest.

4. You have teammates for team firing, once again increasing kills to magnitudes higher than 3 enemies.

Limited thinking is limited mate.

1. Instead of buffing the worthless shit.

2. Switching is almost as bad as reloading.

3. Grenades should not be required.

4. Team shooting again, should not be required. That said, team shooting isn't exactly the highest form of team work.

Thanks for spreading more waypoint logic around...

Duji

it should be 4 kills per weapon, so 20 shots. that way i dont need scrub teammates and i can go ham on them motherfuckers.

is that the right answer?

What is wanted is a fine balance between not having so much ammo to a point where one can be careless, and also having just enough ammo to pull of good plays. 3-kills-per clip is a great balance and I'm pretty sure most of us can attest to that with the previous Halo games. Even 4 kills-per-clip was good (any CE fans out there?).

(H:CE magnum: max 4 kills, H2 BR: max 3k, H3 BR: max 3k, Reach DMR: max 3k).

A downgrade to 2 just seems quite unnecessary.

FyreWulff

What is wanted is a fine balance between not having so much ammo to a point where one can be careless, and also having just enough ammo to pull of good plays. 3-kills-per clip is a great balance and I'm pretty sure most of us can attest to that with the previous Halo games. Even 4 kills-per-clip was good (any CE fans out there?).

(H:CE magnum: max 4 kills, H2 BR: max 3k, H3 BR: max 3k, Reach DMR: max 3k).

A downgrade to 2 just seems quite unnecessary.

It's almost like you're going to need teamwork to take out an entire team within one clip.

Aggrotek

4. Team shooting again, should not be required. That said, team shooting isn't exactly the highest form of team work.

Let's just make the only weapon in the game the BR make it have an unending clip and then maybe you will stop whing. Holy fuck. The game isn't even done yet.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Let's just make the only weapon in the game the BR make it have an unending clip and then maybe you will stop whing. Holy fuck. The game isn't even done yet.

lol, didn't know I was on waypoint.

I don't know a single player who wants a 1 gun game and I know some of the best default players in the game.

Slaker117

Thanks to everyone who scrubbed through the new video and captured all the little details. The Prom-Pistol looks interesting and I'm liking the new medals much more than the E3 build. Using a limited color set worked better this time around; It makes everything feel in context, like it's a part of the HUD, rather than removed and abstracted elements they were before.

So skill should mean nothing?

Halo becoming more like cod by the hour.

How the fuck are you equating "encouraging teamwork" to "requires no skill"?

Aggrotek

lol, didn't know I was on waypoint.

I don't know a single player who wants a 1 gun game and I know some of the best default players in the game.
Dude you are the one going apeshit about the ammo count in a gun. Don't sit there and say this is waypoint when you clearly can't even discuss something intelligently. My post was obviously sarcastic.

Thanks to everyone who scrubbed through the new video and captured all the little details. The Prom-Pistol looks interesting and I'm liking the new medals much more than the E3 build. Using a limited color set worked better this time around; It makes everything feel in context, like it's a part of the HUD, rather than removed and abstracted elements they were before.

Definitely agreed. Fantastic direction for them to go. All we need now is a Steitzer A.I.

JHall

So skill should mean nothing?

Halo becoming more like cod by the hour.

I think a lot of people feel the same way you do. I do agree with you that instead of nerfing utility weapons they should buff the other weapons around it to fit better in their niche.

But you're going about it completely the wrong way.

This is why the competitive community gets the short end of the stick when it comes to Halo games. BASHING THE DEVELOPER DOESN'T GET YOU ANYWHERE!

Please, do use all a favor and grow up. It's a video game.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Dude you are the one going apeshit about the ammo count in a gun. Don't sit there and say this is waypoint when you clearly can't even discuss something intelligently. My post was obviously sarcastic.
Rofl, being a blind developer fanboy is waypoints style.

:lol Because teamwork is a pivotal aspect of a game where anything over a 2sk is rare.

lol?

Cod requires no individual skill.

Fyre is supporting that. If cod required team work than they would practically be the same.

Trey

I think a lot of people feel the same way you do. I do agree with you that instead of nerfing utility weapons they should buff the other weapons around it to fit better in their niche.

It's about not making the rest of the game's elements completely useless.

This is why the competitive community gets the short end of the stick when it comes to Halo games. BASHING THE DEVELOPER DOESN'T GET YOU ANYWHERE!

i agree with this statement. i would like the guns capable of having 3 clips per round but i trust 343 (for now) and their probably is a good reason for doing it. when i get the game and i dont like it, i will bitch then. honestly though, within a game environment, i am going to rarely need to be able to get 3 kills on my own at once (on fully shielded people)

Not sure if its called specializations... but there are ways to modify your loadout by what are essenitally "perks" Firepower is confirmed as being able to carry 2 primary weapons

The perks are armor mods.
Specializations are basically skill trees you choose when you reach max level, and it resets your level.
As you rank up, you unlock new armor mods that relate to your specialization.
You also get weapon/armor skins, emblems, etc.

And I'm sure there wil be a mod that allows you to increase your magazine capacity.

Tawpgun

It's almost like you're going to need teamwork to take out an entire team within one clip.

One of the biggest complaints I've heard in Reach was how weak you feel. And I agree. But that does seem to be the trend.

From Halo CE to Halo Reach the individuals lethality has been dwindling. I really don't get why. Teamwork is cool and all, but this is XBox Live. What you're saying is that in order to be successful at the game, you NEED to play with people you know. We know you can't count on randoms communicating because of party chat and no mic restrictions.

But this is a very unpopular game model. Take Monday Night Combat for example. The first game had pretty good lethality. In order to win you needed to push your bots forward, but if a pro got in your way, you could deal with them. Then the sequel came out. They wanted more focus on bot pushing and teamwork.

And eventually the dev caved in and made a "classic" game mode where it brings back the former lethality of the first.

In Halo CE, 2, 3 you felt more powerful. But you couldn't win on your own. What it allowed is to be able to carry an incompetent team more, if you fell into that situation. It allowed for more clutch moments.

COD requires teamwork as much as Halo requires teamwork.
ex.
CoD MW2&3 Dual-Wield Shotguns can multi-kill easily. Everyone is a bullet sponge.

Halo 3 Maulers Dual-Wield are limited by range, damage, rate of fire, clip-size....
Once your shield brakes, it all depends on that last headshot.

There's more skill & teamwork in Halo by far.

Released

Teamshooting isn't the only way to emphasize teamwork in an FPS. I'd say CE, Counter-Strike, and ShadowRun have teamwork with greater depth and complexity than the recent Halo games do, and they do it without nuking the abilities of an individual player.

Swarmerr

One of the biggest complaints I've heard in Reach was how weak you feel. And I agree. But that does seem to be the trend.

From Halo CE to Halo Reach the individuals lethality has been dwindling. I really don't get why. Teamwork is cool and all, but this is XBox Live. What you're saying is that in order to be successful at the game, you NEED to play with people you know. We know you can't count on randoms communicating because of party chat and no mic restrictions.

But this is a very unpopular game model. Take Monday Night Combat for example. The first game had pretty good lethality. In order to win you needed to push your bots forward, but if a pro got in your way, you could deal with them. Then the sequel came out. They wanted more focus on bot pushing and teamwork.

And eventually the dev caved in and made a "classic" game mode where it brings back the former lethality of the first.

In Halo CE, 2, 3 you felt more powerful. But you couldn't win on your own. What it allowed is to be able to carry an incompetent team more, if you fell into that situation. It allowed for more clutch moments.

This..

Teamshooting isn't the only way to emphasize teamwork in an FPS. I'd say CE, Counter-Strike, and ShadowRun have teamwork with greater depth and complexity than the recent Halo games do, and they do it without nuking the abilities of an individual player.

and this.

Many people have noticed this change and I know fewer players that welcome the nuking of an individual's ability to do damage in a game.

JHall

It's about not making the rest of the game's elements completely useless.

Yes, I understand that. I feel if they buffed the non-utility weapons to better fit in their necessary roles, the game would be more balanced.

In my opinion Halo CE is the most balanced Halo, because every weapon was powerful and deadly in their intended niche in the sandbox.

But hey! I'm not a developer, I'll trust 343i for now even if it goes against my gut feeling.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Yes, I understand that. I feel if they buffed the non-utility weapons to better fit in their necessary roles, the game would be more balanced.

In my opinion Halo CE is the most balanced Halo, because every weapon was powerful and deadly in their intended niche in the sandbox.

But hey! I'm not a developer, I'll trust 343i for now even if it goes against my gut feeling.

Unlike you (and so many others it appears) I'm not going to blindly trust 343 for the simple reason that they have given me no reason to trust, only more and more reason to doubt.

IDK why people are complaining about a 5 shot kill BR tbh.
Not only is it hit scan, but no bloom as well.
It is going to be the like zero bloom DMR in Reach, but shoots faster.
AKA fucking sweet.

Das Kalk

Neo Member

1. So you'd suggest making everything Mega-powerful?

2. They've mentioned that switching is now a more viable option in firefights (IIRC), especially given then draw speeds we're seeing and the fact that there's 3 (one unconfirmed) side arms.

3. So, a sandbox item that everyone gets, one that is essential to the sandbox, shouldn't be considered as a supplementary tool? I just don't really get how you're upset about how the 5sk BR works within the sandbox while ignoring other sandbox elements. Like Frankie said, context is important, and it seems like you're ignoring that fact...

4. Team shooting is the most common and basic form of teamwork, it's part of the flow of team based gametypes and absolutely should not be REQUIRED, but it's sure helpful when you're inevitably missing a shot or two while engaging an enemy.

It seems like your ideal gametype is 1v1 with no grenades. More elements in the sandbox (with limitations, of course) makes the game more interesting. More variables increases the number of possible outcomes, it's just a matter of balancing the elements. Maybe a 4sk BR would work in the game, but throw in grenades (which aren't a guarantee in a firefight, given how long the player has been alive/whether they've re-stocked, etc.) and team shooting, and suddenly one mediocre nade and a shot gets you a kill. Again, just saying the BR should be 4 shots isn't bad in and of itself, but we haven't really had our hands on the game, and so aren't completely aware of how it functions in the sandbox (hell, we don't even know the extent of the sandbox at this point!). These things don't exist in a vacuum.

JHall

Unlike you (and so many others it appears) I'm not going to blindly trust 343 for the simple reason that they have given me no reason to trust, only more and more reason to doubt.

Then don't buy the game, no one is forcing you too. Wait till it comes out, play it at a friends house, and see if you like it or not.

Plain and simple.

Swarmerr

[==]

Here take it, it's a chill pill. It might help you get your point across better!

I agree with your point of view but your approach is not very desirable

In Halo CE* you felt more powerful. But you couldn't win on your own. What it allowed is to be able to carry an incompetent team more, if you fell into that situation. It allowed for more clutch moments.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom