• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

ALready on, till now it's only Vita but interesting stuff

edit: lol the GC conference of Sony is already better than their E3's.

Pretty shitty that they didn't show COD for Vita, maybe something to do with MS (COD reveal tomorrow). But at E3 we got a logo, now we have a box art, at launch I wonder if they will remember the game.

willow ve

A ranking system reveal is the trump card for me. I'm not even that much of a competitive player anymore, but the atmosphere and types of games a ranking system provides (visual 1-50's or something similar) is something I'm dying to get back into.

Really miss those intense games from the Halo 3 era where every little thing you did (or didn't do) could make or break the game and ultimately, your rank.

Then again, a proper map creator (landscape editing, skins, color palette, etc...) to me would be equally as welcome. I know we're not getting anything on this level yet, but I've got to believe they have some more secrets on this front to share.

That's actually a big reason I started playing Arena again in the past few days. Although it can be a very frustrating experience (randoms vs full teams, camping bottom room in Sword Base... or Sword Base at all) it boils down to a system which enforces winning. It's one of the few gametypes in Reach that gets my adrenaline flowing like all of the ranked playlists in 3 used to do.

I liked that idea of having ranks but not having a top rank. and maybe having the rank slowly decrease if you don't keep playing ranked playlists

I would like it if they actually made MP achieve's hard, after all, that's what achievements are supposed to be. Not like the ones in Halo 3 like 'Get 2 double kills on a legendary map' But something fairly difficult like 'Get an overkill with a sniper in a ranked playlist (or whatever is the equivilent to the ranked playlist in H4). Every shot must be a headshot' So if you miss a single headshot while getting the overkill, you don't get the achievement.
Depends who you ask on that one. Bungie said that the achievements in Reach were made to encourage players to try all the different features and game modes in the game.
So has a skill based ranking system on 4 been confirmed out? All this negative talk has me worried...
No it hasn't, but based on the little that 343 has said, some people (including myself) are interpreting that 343 doesn't think a ranking system is as important as fostering a cheating and cheese free MM experience. Frank did comment at one point that they were playing with a ranking system that showed you a rank, but it was invisible to everyone else, although he emphasized that it wasn't necessarily going to be in the final game.
There will be a visual representation of your skill in Halo 4, and it will not repeat the mistakes of The Arena. Calling it now.
SLRP

:p

You should be able to call back now and remove the card. I know in the past (read: 3+ years ago) it was a total pain to get a card disassociated from your account, but I believe they've loosened the requirements quite a bit. I would bet there was some simple "glitch" that they couldn't remove an inactive or out of date card (or some other BS). If they give you the run around just politely ask to talk to a supervisor. You can most likely go 3-5 levels up the chain always asking for a supervisor until you get someone who actually has the authority to remove the card.

Remember to be polite with customer service. Their job most likely sucks the life right out of them every day and you'll always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
I'm going to wait a month to see if I can do it online, then I'll decide what to do then. The card expires in March of 2013 anyway, so I may hold off until I get the new card.
Yeah it's bullshit they can't just outright remove a card even if you have automatic renewal turned off.

I'm literally nervous every time I boot up Fifa because I know that I have a card on file, but thank goodness it's one that has 100% coverage liability insurance for purchases I can prove I didn't make.
That sucks. Is FIFA one of those games where you have to set up a separate online subscription for it or something like that? I hate that.

Trey

SSX for 15 bucks used from Gamefly, guys.

I liked that idea of having ranks but not having a top rank. and maybe having the rank slowly decrease if you don't keep playing ranked playlists

Or just be Arena except more immediate. Reset ranks every month/season and have a dual layered ranking system that shows either an aggregate of all your prior rankings or your last ranking, all alongside your current ranking.

heckfu

Banned
That sucks. Is FIFA one of those games where you have to set up a separate online subscription for it or something like that? I hate that.

No, it's just that there is a ton of hacking going on with EA (specifically FIFA 12) that are stealing people's accounts.

Homeboyd

That's actually a big reason I started playing Arena again in the past few days. Although it can be a very frustrating experience (randoms vs full teams, camping bottom room in Sword Base... or Sword Base at all) it boils down to a system which enforces winning. It's one of the few gametypes in Reach that gets my adrenaline flowing like all of the ranked playlists in 3 used to do.
Yeah on paper Arena makes sense and should create the same atmosphere previous ranking systems created but it doesn't. My reason for not caring enough to play it is the fact there isn't a "highest rank achieved" that sticks on your "resume"... Yeah it's a stupid reason. I'll agree it is... But that's a big part of it.

The truskill part of it is a whole different argument which I get as well... But having your rank reset every so often is the killer for me personally.

I think the clarity is another issue. I can see an onyx player and have no clue if he is actually better or worse than I am on a consistent basis. Same with a silver player, etc... So why put in the time myself if I don't know whether my earned rank is indicative of my actual skill? 1-50 was a lot more clear. If I was playing a team of 50's, 90% of the time I was going to get my ass handed to me.

a zoojoo

Banned
Yes, worth it. As long as you are aware that it has a terrible online pass system.

Online Passes are a terrible system period. Multiplayer should be included with the game experience, not an added feature you have to pay extra for.

Online Passes are bad and EA should feel bad.

L1NETT

That Crysis 3 Hunter Mode looks so much fun. Although I hope there isn't a massive Zombies style push in Halo 4. It is a fun gametype, do you think it should have it's own playlist in H4? Or put it in an Action Sack style playlist?

---

Also, welcome back Kittens.

SSX for 15 bucks used from Gamefly, guys.

Or just be Arena except more immediate. Reset ranks every month/season and have a dual layered ranking system that shows either an aggregate of all your prior rankings or your last ranking, all alongside your current ranking.
Arena rankings are fine, as long as they're visible and spread over more than one playlist, but I don't really like the idea of them resetting totally. I'd rather have something that just degraded over time

HTR has a 1v1 League going for Reach but Idk for Halo 3. You will get notified by all challengers within their community who wants in against you. And if you decline a challenge it's considered as a forfeit.

They do have a ranking lvl feature to see how well you do per playlist, but your lvl doesn't drop and only increases. This goes for a bracket of the Top Arena players that are all Top 1% Onyx.

Sure it's not perfect, but I can see how they try a lot more to involve the competitive side towards the sites community players.

Swarmerr

As long as there is something in the form of a skill based rank that is in multiple playlists, I will be one happy halo player.

I am glad people continue talk about the want for ranks because I believe it would of been so much better for reach to have had arena or another skill based rank being used across multiple playlists.

Halo needs a skill based rank system!

Edit: The one problem with arena was the player did not get instant feedback on what his percent was.

kylej

Banned
Glad the competition is heating up. So many games competing for my already small amount of free gaming time.
Want to see 343 bring their A-Game when it comes to keeping me interested.

Matchmaking A-Game? We still don't know why they removed Squad Slayer. I'd be happy with 343's D- game.

The thing I liked about Halo 3 ranks were that there was an overall highest rank, and a games won/games played that was all visible. That way, if you saw someone with a high rank, and a really good ratio of games played to games won, chances are it was legit. If you saw someone with a bad ratio of games played to games won but a high rank, it's probably not legit. And if you saw negative experience, you knew they boosted.

Stuff like that that lets you (semi) accurately judge a person's skill level is good imo.

Ryaaan14

Banned
If we ACTUALLY get decent news tomorrow, I will give Pixel a lion-cut.

fsx0vl.jpg

ITtL1.jpg

Welp. As promised.

6PHny.jpg

Trey

Yes, worth it. As long as you are aware that it has a terrible online pass system.

?

Last I remember about SSX's online pass system is that you don't get any credits for online shit. You can participate in everything, and get the bragging rights through time competition, but you just don't get the payout.

Obviously you would rather have that than not, but it ain't so bad. Unless things have changed.

GhaleonEB

A ranking system reveal is the trump card for me. I'm not even that much of a competitive player anymore, but the atmosphere and types of games a ranking system provides (visual 1-50's or something similar) is something I'm dying to get back into.

Really miss those intense games from the Halo 3 era where every little thing you did (or didn't do) could make or break the game and ultimately, your rank.

Then again, a proper map creator (landscape editing, skins, color palette, etc...) to me would be equally as welcome. I know we're not getting anything on this level yet, but I've got to believe they have some more secrets on this front to share.

I know I'm likely in a small subset here, but I really want a ranking system for Spartan Ops. My Firefight Commendations show that I play a shitload of Firefight. But I'm also really good at Firefight. But I don't really have any way to show that off, and it would be neat to be able to do so. I'd also welcome skill based matching in Spartan Ops, so my partners are not the pack of drunken monkeys I get paired with in Reach as a matter of course.

This is my hope for Spartan Ops: I want the thrill of skilled players overcoming great odds to achieve victory. That has implications for skill matching and the structure of the game mode, but all the pertinent details are still unrevealed.
Welp. As promised.

6PHny.jpg

Next time take your bad bets out on yourself. Poor cat! :(

?

Last I remember about SSX's online pass system is that you don't get any credits for online shit. You can participate in everything, and get the bragging rights through time competition, but you just don't get the payout.

Obviously you would rather have that than not, but it ain't so bad. Unless things have changed.

Yes that's true, but credits are also used to level up your boarder and buy gear, and also participate on certain ranges online.

Could be detrimental to your experience.

Yes they did. The guy I spoke to said that I couldn't remove the card until I canceled the account or updated it with another card. So I thought to myself, "Well, if it has to be that way, might as well be an up-to-date card." I was told the other card was removed.

I don't like MS having that credit card attached to my account if I don't plan on using that credit card to purchase anything. Feels like a liability of sorts – a mistake waiting to happen. I remember clearly turning off automatic renewal before.

But it also comes down to the fact that I don't like giving corporations information about myself I don't think they need.
I don't see how that's true; I don't have a card attached to my account, haven't for like 3 years now. On the Xbox dashboard in account settings there's "remove payment option" somewhere. It's also somewhere on Xbox.com but when I tried that it started sending emails to an email address I don't have anymore (like what happened to you.)

Whenever I buy something on the marketplace (rarely) I add a card, make the purchase then remove it. I don't trust MS with their auto-renewal, I feel they'll turn it on after I turn it off *paranoid*

I'm not sure, but it's worth a try? Right.

nope, disc won't even install, or run anymore. i think my xbox is scratching my discs cause this is the third game in a row that doesn't work anymore. i managed to install the other ones and now they work, but i cant get this one too, stops at 26%

Likewise. I can't ever recall it being explained.

Also, Gary Whitta is at 343.

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/235443039491989504

hm, i wonder why? what does gary do exactly? i have seen him on tested a couple of times, and he posts in the lego thread a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom