• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I don't think they ever explained their reasoning behind removing Squad Slayer.

Striker

Yeah on paper Arena makes sense and should create the same atmosphere previous ranking systems created but it doesn't. My reason for not caring enough to play it is the fact there isn't a "highest rank achieved" that sticks on your "resume"... Yeah it's a stupid reason. I'll agree it is... But that's a big part of it.
Highest Ranked Achieved is one of the issues H3 had (it was not going to drop). It is bothersome to see people get that emotional and carried away over a video game number. Have multiple playlists, separating itself from FFA, team based Slayer, Objectives, and whatever other competitive niche they can pull it up (Snipers, SWAT; I doubt they made BTB ranked, it'll be filled with guests unfortunately).

We'll likely see the military symbol be placed on the player in the lobby, and it's better when you move to a specific ranked playlist and you see their rank come up. If you view their Service Record, you can view their ranks all across the board; however from what Frankie mentioned before about something being visible only to yourself, it probably isn't going to work that way.

The truskill part of it is a whole different argument which I get as well... But having your rank reset every so often is the killer for me personally.
With whatever they do, a rank reset is the likely outcome and I don't have a problem with that. As long as they make a baseball card like we were supposed to get in Halo Reach, and still did in a minor way, but you never really saw it until you dug deep into your Service Record. Every three or so months works out well.

u4iX

The n00b effect

Hopefully the link above is where Halo 4 Multiplayer overtakes Black Ops 2.

Fingers crossed, but at this point I'd know the type of game I'm getting with Black Ops, because Call of Duty does a better job of naturally tweaking and evolving their multiplayer, instead of the Halo version of "evolve," which tends to be a complete re-imagining than evolution.

FyreWulff

Highest Ranked Achieved is one of the issues H3 had (it was not going to drop). It is bothersome to see people get that emotional and carried away over a video game number. Have multiple playlists, separating itself from FFA, team based Slayer, Objectives, and whatever other competitive niche they can pull it up (Snipers, SWAT; I doubt they made BTB ranked, it'll be filled with guests unfortunately).

We'll likely see the military symbol be placed on the player in the lobby, and it's better when you move to a specific ranked playlist and you see their rank come up. If you view their Service Record, you can view their ranks all across the board; however from what Frankie mentioned before about something being visible only to yourself, it probably isn't going to work that way.

With whatever they do, a rank reset is the likely outcome and I don't have a problem with that. As long as they make a baseball card like we were supposed to get in Halo Reach, and still did in a minor way, but you never really saw it until you dug deep into your Service Record. Every three or so months works out well.

Considering how well ranked BTB did in Halo 2 and Halo 3, they probably won't be attempting any form of ranked Big Team again. Not even double EXP was enough to save H3's version.

edit: Reachsolidation seems to have improved BTB's population.

Homeboyd

Oh I know and I completely understand the argument against it. Yet it remained the motivation for me to continue playing the system trying to reach the top level. I know it can't return exactly as it was featured in H3, but the current iteration isn't the solution because I have no desire to play it. I'm just telling you why I played it then and why I don't now. Unfortunately, the solutions are above my pay grade as I don't know what will fix the problem but retain the inherent motivation that system had.

For the guys who reached their 50's, I can see the problem it creates... But for the big pool of players spending the majority of their time with the game trying to reach that goal, the system worked much better. Yes, along the way you'll come across some guys who aren't accurately represented at their current skill level, but most of the time the skills shown (even highest skill achieved) were indicative of your enemy's skill.

Again, I know my method of thinking is wrong and I should not want to play a game or a playlist to earn a virtual reward, but there lies the motivation and I'm being honest by telling you that was the draw for me. I would never spend that much time to reach a 50 (or 5% onyx) only to have it erased from my record (whether it erased the next day or a year later). I don't get emotional and carried away as you say of its inclusion or exclusion, just telling you how it is for me, personally.

Gary's a writer. In the games industry, he's done story consulting on a few games and is currently working with Telltale on The Walking Dead.

Jesse Snyder, creator of Nazi Zombies.
Gary Whitta, a writer of The Walking Dead..

Obviously Halo 4 is getting a Zombies mode.

Just to clarify, this is a joke.

Welp. As promised.

6PHny.jpg

Oh god, haha, amazing. :lol

Likewise. I can't ever recall it being explained.

Also, Gary Whitta is at 343.

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/235443039491989504

Interesting, I wonder if he is just there as a fan, or if he may write for SpOps..

Risen

The n00b effect

Hopefully the link above is where Halo 4 Multiplayer overtakes Black Ops 2.

Fingers crossed, but at this point I'd know the type of game I'm getting with Black Ops, because Call of Duty does a better job of naturally tweaking and evolving their multiplayer, instead of the Halo version of "evolve," which tends to be a complete re-imagining than evolution.

If there was a longer dev cycle and less frequent release for CoD games, do you think you would feel the same way?

The Exclusive Master Chief Premium Format Figure will be available for Pre-Order through the Sideshow Newsletter on Thursday, August 16th, 2012, which is typically published between 2PM and 3PM (Pacific Time). For those of you who can’t wait to see the full reveal of this Halo collectible, we’re posting the product gallery and info a bit early (see below).

The Exclusive Master Chief Premium Format Figure, which will include a Switch out hand with Needler Gun, will be priced at $399.99 while the regular edition, without the additional accessory, will also be priced at $399.99. Make sure you log into your newsletter account on August 16th, 2012 to secure this piece for your collection.
Pictures.

Damn I want.

Likewise. I can't ever recall it being explained.

Also, Gary Whitta is at 343.

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/235443039491989504
Gary Whitta is a friend of Frankie. So I am assuming he is only visiting him and gets a tour at 343i. Don't think he is doing any work.

They did, they explained it in the MM update section before the update. So it would be in one of the waypoint weekly updates or maybe it was Bungie update back then. Not sure when the switchover happened.

It was explained as the TS and the Title Updated Super Slayer addition to the playlists would mean too many Slayer playlists with Arena, TS, Super Slayer, and Squad Slayer and at the time TU Beta was still there. So they removed Squad Slayer and made Objective 5v5 to keep a 5v5 playlist and to mirror what H4's objective will be.

They said all this, but it doesnt excuse the fact it was a shitty shitty terrible move. Then again its definitive playlist management we've all come to love and enjoy. Buckle up and get ready for more solid decisions in Halo 4!

Didn't mean to imply he was doing any work. I was just answering the question as to what Gary does for a living. Other than being awesome.
Nah it was not directed to you. It was for the people who are assuming that he works on Halo 4 now. On the other hand I would not mind when he works at SO season.

GhaleonEB

They did, they explained it in the MM update section before the update. So it would be in one of the waypoint weekly updates or maybe it was Bungie update back then. Not sure when the switchover happened.

It was explained as the TS and the Title Updated Super Slayer addition to the playlists would mean too many Slayer playlists with Arena, TS, Super Slayer, and Squad Slayer and at the time TU Beta was still there. So they removed Squad Slayer and made Objective 5v5 to keep a 5v5 playlist and to mirror what H4's objective will be.

They said all this, but it doesnt excuse the fact it was a shitty shitty terrible move. Then again its definitive playlist management we've all come to love and enjoy. Buckle up and get ready for more solid decisions in Halo 4!

This is what was posted:

•Anniversary Squad retired.

Fret not! See Super Slayer added.

•Squad Slayer retired.

Fret not! See above. And below.

•Super Slayer added.

After analyzing the Team Slayer voting data that took place the first two weeks of February, we were able to draw several instructive conclusions. Most importantly we learned that:

A significant portion of Halo: Reach players enjoy the Title Update settings.

A significant portion of Halo: Reach players enjoy the original Halo: Reach settings.

A significant portion of Halo: Reach players simply enjoy playing Halo: Reach.

To make sure all three groups have a Team Slayer option that fits their preferred way of playing the game, we are adding a new playlist called Super Slayer. Super Slayer is a replica of Team Slayer with the Title Update changes included. Team Slayer will still be available with its original settings intact, and Super Slayer will peacefully coexist with it, happily fulfilling your Slayer-related Title Update needs.

Thank you for all the feedback that allowed us to make this decision. We heart you. More than you know.

I think it's an incomplete explanation to put it mildly, but it's at least touched on. It's less an explanation for why Squad Slayer was removed than it was the reason Super Slayer was added.

malfcn

I don't remember Reach running particularly chuggy on disc. But I used my GonD code, and Winter Contingency seems to run like ass. What's up?

heckfu

Banned

This is what was posted:

I think it's an incomplete explanation to put it mildly, but it's at least touched on. It's less an explanation for why Squad Slayer was removed than it was the reason Super Slayer was added.

Ah, thank you. I genuinely didn't remember anything even touching on it so I'm glad you linked the text.

I don't remember Reach running particularly chuggy on disc. But I used my GonD code, and Winter Contingency seems to run like ass. What's up?

You're playing Winter Contingency on any section before you go inside the final building. That's what's up. That level blows for a solid graphics experience.

Howdy

Neo Member
Nah it was not directed to you. It was for the people who are assuming that he works on Halo 4 now. On the other hand I would not mind when he works at SO season.

I didn't actually assume he was working on H4 but thought the possibility was interesting. Had no idea he was friends with Frankie, in light of that I'm probably wrong. Wouldn't be the first time...

FyreWulff

So it is like before? lolol

Will test it out now

There are no DLC required playlists in Reach anymore, minus the two left for the Anniversary disc. And one of those only has one map.

35$ of DLC and not even a single dedicated playlist for those that spent money on all of it.

Striker

Considering how well ranked BTB did in Halo 2 and Halo 3, they probably won't be attempting any form of ranked Big Team again. Not even double EXP was enough to save H3's version.
H2's was doing okay - 3's issue was having two. They didn't even add Ranked BTB until months later, and was dropped about six or seven months afterwards. It hardly lasted. They brought in Squad Battle after, and it had the same issues Ranked BTB had (party restrictions and the ranking system being so split).

I'm okay with it being just an unranked experience, just don't allow guests which always muddy the games up and have more quitters and unfun enjoyment overall. I reckon drop in drop out hits there, but that doesn't remove the fact guests are not fun to play with/against. Keep them in a Team Training setup.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There are no DLC required playlists in Reach anymore, minus the two left for the Anniversary disc. And one of those only has one map.

35$ of DLC and not even a single dedicated playlist for those that spent money on all of it.

So basically 343 is dammed if they do, dammed if they don't in regards to Reach playlists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom