• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Wetwork[Unnamed]: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision, Faster Assassination Animation, dampened footsteps
  • Pioneer[Fast Track]: Increased XP bonus
  • Engineer[Drop Recon]*: Heads up on Ordnance and On-map weapon drops
  • Tracker[Drop Recon]*: Ability to re-roll an Ordnance drop
  • Rogue[Stability]: Lessened knock out of scope
  • Stalker[Nemesis]: Possibly reveals opponent who last killed you
  • Pathfinder[Gunner]: Reduce Turret cool down, move faster when carrying Turret
  • Operator[Wheelman]: Lessend EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff

Game Breaking, pack it up boys time to go home.

Trey

What does this do except add even more variables in battle?

Who thought this was a good idea?

It'll have a massively popular mode that will keep people ("casuals") playing longer. That really seems to be what 343 wants. Between specs and spartan ops, 343 is looking to have players holding on to the Halo 4 disc for a while.

Live Streaming and dedis don't even sound like they're for consoles. Good for CoD, though.

It just looks like -- and this'll make Letters happy -- the next evolution of Halo is to become a PC game.

This is your Halo 4 Loadout, lets try and figure out where the new packages go?

Primary Weapon:
Secondary Weapon:
Grenade Type:
Armor Ability:
Tactical Package:
  • Firepower: Carry 2 primary weapons
  • Shielding: Shield Recharge Rate buff
  • AA Efficiency: AA Recharge Rate buff
Support Package:
  • Ammo Upgrade: Hold more Ammo
  • Sensor Upgrade: Increased Motion Tracker Range
  • Awareness: Use radar while scoped

Grenadier: Pick up nades off of fallen Spartans?

Heres the new ones from tonight:
Specialization[Name of Package]: description

• Wetwork[Unnamed]: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision, Faster Assassination Animation, dampened footsteps
  • Pioneer[Fast Track]: Increased XP bonus
  • Engineer[Drop Recon]*: Heads up on Ordnance and On-map weapon drops
  • Tracker[Drop Recon]*: Ability to re-roll an Ordnance drop
  • Rogue[Stability]: Lessened knock out of scope
  • Stalker[Nemesis]: Possibly reveals opponent who last killed you
  • Pathfinder[Gunner]: Reduce Turret cool down, move faster when carrying Turret
  • Operator[Wheelman]: Lessend EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff

One would assume they will even out so there is an equal number of both Tactical and Support options, but I am not confident enough to guess, and hopefully the Bulletin will tell which category the Packages fall into

Drop Recon dupe*
Im assuming IGN typo'd

These honestly dont sound all that horrible to me, Im not sure why MeltdownGAF ensued.

edit: seriously, now were talking about fucking call of duty again. this is bullshit

ill leave this in hopes of getting the discussion on Halo again but im out until bulletin.
You understood the system wrong. The specialization are not a third option for your loadout. You will unlock a Tactical Package or Support Package at the end of the Specialization.

Edit.: Didn't read your post correctly. My bad. I should go to bed.

I think he means that you have to pay to have them all available at launch.
I personally see no real difference. Even the owner of the LE will have no access to them at Launch.

Okay. I discussed this a bit with Steely and Biggy before posting this comment here. I may have some of the details wrong – it's all a bit confusing – but from what I gathered I'm more frustrated with how specializations are being handled for LE owners than I am at the concept of them. I'm not going to waste any posts, or what have you, getting all worked up over Specializations. I've said in the past, before I completely knew what they were, they seemed like a great idea for the direction 343 was taking Halo 4. And they do! Hell, I may end up liking them in the end. Whatever.

From what I've gathered, all the discs – standard and LE – will have the same number of specializations on the disc. The LE owners, however, will have access to all of them at launch. But, again, the content is on all the discs.

This is bad business practice. I bought the disc. I should be able to access everything I've bought from day one. Whatever content is on there is mine, and blocking parts of it at the start because I didn't fork over extra cash for it is a policy I cannot get behind.

I've supported this type of policy with purchases of other games in other franchises in the past, but I care about Halo too much. I don't want to see this type of thing repeated. If what I have here is correct, I will not be purchasing the Halo 4 LE. I cannot and will not support this.

Of course, I may be overreacting to what's going on and I'll feel differently in the morning, but that's how I feel right now. I really do hope I'm misunderstanding something.

I understand the sentiment, but this isn't how digital media works, or has ever worked. You own the disc. Do what you want with it. The content on the disk is an entirely different matter. The EULA has been around forever now.

And 343 isn't ?????? the only thing that 343 has said is no 1-50 which is just a freaking Number. Is the work on match making based on skill (how ever it is optimized, win loss k/d points what ever) and match player of similar skill regardless of visual indications there still light years ahead of COD which up to this point does not have.

Everyone just wants a number by their names because they want people to KNOW they're good at a video game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm guessing each specialization requires you to wear the armor that fits with it? So I could see an enemy on the field and know what specialization he has?

My take is this.

Let's say it takes me 5 weeks to hit max rank. When I do I will have at least 2 options available to me in terms of which class I will specilize. If I got the LE I'll have 8 choices.

10 weeks after launch, 343 might flip the switch and make some or all of the other ones available to all players to choose once they hit max rank.
Is this a good thing or bad thing in your opinion? It seems 343 will have to balance it to make that feature on the LE worth the extra money.

Seeing people quote it, I kind of regret making that post now. Seems to have been made in too much haste. I just don't want to be unreasonable.
No one is going to be at level 50 at launch. So no one will be able to use the specializations right away.
I think the entire point of my post went right over your head. If I reach max rank the same time as an LE purchaser, and all the specializations haven't been unlocked, he will get to choose a specialization that I won't have access to despite me having paid for it and the content being on the disc. You don't have a problem with this?

It would be helpful knowing when all the specializations will be unlocked for everyone.

Still better than what Halo 4 has to offer at this time. Based on the information we have today, Halo 4 is going to be a progressive based ranking system, which sucks because it means that the more you play, the higher your rank. Pretty much like Reach's ranking system, which is pretty crappy to be honest.

The only playlist I play in Reach anyway is the Arena. Only reason that playlist failed was because Bungie did not introduce it well to the community. Some people still think you get ranked based on the daily rating, when its reallly now pure W/L and has been for a year.

Any Ranking system is progressive based. and they have said from the start that there rank will be skill based.

Blissful

Neo Member
Everyone just wants a number by their names because they want people to KNOW they're good at a video game.

OR, people want to know that they are not getting matched up with casuals / noobs who just play the game to fool around. Halo Reach never had an invisible ranking system like Bungie said, and Truskill was not implemented in any of the playlists except for Arena. Reach got boring quick and I just went back to playing Halo 3, which felt much more competitive and fun than Reach.

I just have a bad feeling that 343 will say the same crap Bungie fed the sheeple about getting matched up with players on your skill (without showing the numbers), but then actually match you up with whoever has a connection that agrees with yours or someone who has the same amount of hours played.

B wzy

Neo Member
I'm guessing each specialization requires you to wear the armor that fits with it? So I could see an enemy on the field and know what specialization he has?

My guess is no. Just after finishing or while conducting a specialization playthrough you may unlock specific pieces/suits of armor. I think it would be way too restrictive to force people to play in an armor just to have the specialization.

Why Are people the Egotistical they have to shove it in peoples faces. Gosh there's enough state tracking and posting to last a life time. If there winning and being match with similar skilled player whats the issue?

Blissful

Neo Member
Any Ranking system is progressive based. and they have said from the start that there rank will be skill based.

Source?

Why Are people the Egotistical they have to shove it in peoples faces. Gosh there's enough state tracking and posting to last a life time. If there winning and being match with similar skilled player whats the issue?

Why do people get butt-hurt about players who brag about being a 50? I was a 50 in almost all the playlists and I never bragged about it or shoved it down someones throat. I actually enjoyed playing against players on my level and I actually improved much more that way.

Considering the perk at the end of the 10 levels is just a tactical or support perk, I actually doubt that you'll have to wear the armor.
You'll breeze through your other specializations, but you won't be able to use them so long as you have it equipped.

Yeah I guess. You essentially don't have a gameplay altering perk then if you use it, seems like an odd ability.

u4iX

That was some HUGE news, nothing even close to a shoutcaster mode, spectator mode, or ranked matchmaking.

Specializations are SO MUCH BIGGER.

Salt4iX.

I can't remember the last time a AAA game studio has created this much mis-information and vague readings about their upcoming game. I know print is print, but this is online. You think maybe they could tap them on the shoulder and say, "Hey, all this extra stuff is end-game variables to keep the game fresh. We felt it was important to keep challenging players with even MORE variables late in the game's life."

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Considering the perk at the end of the 10 levels is just a tactical or support perk, I actually doubt that you'll have to wear the armor.

Yeah I guess. You essentially don't have a gameplay altering perk then if you use it, seems like an odd ability.

Ahh so it replaces the tactical or support mods? Like an upgrade when you get the specialization?

OR, people want to know that they are not getting matched up with casuals / noobs who just play the game to fool around. Halo Reach never had an invisible ranking system like Bungie said, and Truskill was not implemented in any of the playlists except for Arena. Reach got boring quick and I just went back to playing Halo 3, which felt much more competitive and fun than Reach.
A number have nothing to do with Knowing whether of no there being matched with Similar skilled players. And has always been faulty. and having a number in front of your name has nothing to do with this.

I just have a bad feeling that 343 will say the same crap Bungie fed the sheeple about getting matched up with players on your skill (without showing the numbers), but then actually match you up with whoever has a connection that agrees with yours or someone who has the same amount of hours played.

This was mostly due the the fact the player had more options to find player and most players choose the fasted. I'm not saying its not Broken I believe it is to But i think 343 has A good working knowledge to know to fix this

Why do people get butt-hurt about players who brag about being a 50? I was a 50 in almost all the playlists and I never bragged about it or shoved it down someones throat. I actually enjoyed playing against players on my level and I actually improved much more that way.

So why is the number a factor? If they are on your level, wouldn't a rank 1 play the same as a 50?

Roche

Man this whole multiplayer setup sounds weird, I don't understand enough of what's going on to be able to formulate an informed opinion but I don't like what I've seen so far.

Blissful

Neo Member
Isn't that something people can tell within the first 30 seconds of any game?

Yes, but I'd rather not have to deal with them at all unless I am playing social slayer or with a guest.

So why is the number a factor? If they are on your level, wouldn't a rank 1 play the same as a 50?

Well, once that Rank 1 starts winning games and proving that they are skilled enough to be at a level 50, then they can match up against the players who have reached the max rank. So if a player starts a new account and is highly skilled, then the player will probably win a lot of games and not lose until probably reaching the low-mid 40s.

B wzy

Neo Member

Which is hopefully a testament to how "underwhelming" the specializations may be. I think a lot of people are thinking these are drastic game changes, while 343 have repeatedly said they are more akin to highlighting your game style, not controlling it. We will see I guess.

I can't remember the last time a AAA game studio has created this much mis-information and vague readings about their upcoming game. I know print is print, but this is online. You think maybe they could tap them on the shoulder and say, "Hey, all this extra stuff is end-game variables to keep the game fresh. We felt it was important to keep challenging players with even MORE variables late in the game's life."

Gears 3 MP had a lot of confusion regarding how things Unlocked. But not on this level. Its something 343 know they have issues with frankie has mentioned it before.

The lack of Clear Cut Information is pretty confusing but the IGN article was not too bad we have had Specializations explained to us at least twice now its been pretty simple to add that info up and come to a solid conclusion.

Ahh so it replaces the tactical or support mods? Like an upgrade when you get the specialization?

Yeah they are just another perk that will fall under the tactical or support mod category that you have the option to use. It's not a third category of mods (thankfully).

Do you not progress as you reach high Ranks By that definition alone its a progression.

I'm not specifically talking about you but that fact remain its not necessary If we had halo 3 rank but optimized and made "perfect" and match player almost perfect with similar skilled players, but didn't have a visual Indicator people would still not like it regardless of it be almost perfect.

I just got back in town...

So let me get this straight. I level up to 50 and then I choose a specialization and go up to level 60. Then I "prestige" and level up to 50 again and choose another specialization to take up to 60?

I understand the sentiment, but this isn't how digital media works, or has ever worked. You own the disc. Do what you want with it. The content on the disk is an entirely different matter. The EULA has been around forever now.

I think you're trying to make a distinction where there is none. The disc is the content, and essentially saying "this is the way things have always been" doesn't make it right. I haven't been an attentive gamer for very long, but this policy of locking content on the disc is very recent, I do believe.

This is kind of similar to the Halo 3 Mythic maps that came with the LE of Halo Wars.

Because if you beat an Invisible 50 you assume they were a 40. AKA its not as satisfying.

The best part of rank comes from inside. You challenge yourself to get that 50. If you are bad you challenge yourself to get that 40. Its an internal reward. Bragging is just a side effect you have to try and ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom