• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back in town...

So let me get this straight. I level up to 50 and then I choose a specialization and go up to level 60. Then I "prestige" and level up to 50 again and choose another specialization to take up to 60?

You go normally to 50. Choose a class if you want to push the limit to 60. Once you're there, you can choose another to push it up to 70. Rinse and repeat.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The perks from the specializations aren't overpowered themselves.

However, a team of 4 using them seems a bit overpowered.

Because if you beat an Invisible 50 you assume they were a 40. AKA its not as satisfying.

The best part of rank comes from inside. You challenge yourself to get that 50. If you are bad you challenge yourself to get that 40. Its an internal reward. Bragging is just a side effect you have to try and ignore.

Yup. Some of my fondest halo memories are from playing my hardest in double team with an old friend of mine and that's because playing with people of equal skill is such an experience when its done well. How many moves ahead are you, how can you win the next encounter. How can you control the map better.

Why did we not win that ect.

Roche

You go normally to 50. Choose a class if you want to push the limit to 60. Once you're there, you can choose another to push it up to 70. Rinse and repeat.

This just seems like people who have played the game longer will have a slight advantage over me, or am I looking at this the wrong way?

I just got back in town...

So let me get this straight. I level up to 50 and then I choose a specialization and go up to level 60. Then I "prestige" and level up to 50 again and choose another specialization to take up to 60?

No, each specialization just unlocks 10 more levels of progression.

Play the game, go 1-50
Pick a specialization, go 50-60
Pick another specialization, go 60-70
and so on.

I doubt they will be numbered like that, but you get the idea.

EDIT: Beaten

Blissful

Neo Member
Do you not progress as you reach high Ranks By that definition alone its a progression.

I'm not specifically talking about you but that fact remain its not necessary If we had halo 3 rank but optimized and made "perfect" and match player almost perfect with similar skilled players, but didn't have a visual Indicator people would still not like it regardless of it be almost perfect.

People want to know where they stand, leaderboards are popular in online games. 1-50 is a simple way of indicating where you stand. Ofcourse, it's not as detailed as a leaderboard, but I still like knowing that I rank amongst good players in the game. If they have a system that indicated where I stand compared to other players, I am happy.

I love competition. There is nothing wrong with that.

So if someone has a 50, that problem magically goes away?

There will always be problems, but this helps limit it to a certain extent. Atleast you can play competitively with people in your skill range and you will know if you need to improve or keep doing what you are doing.

On a positive note, Operator is pretty sexy

operatorfullpng-9d80cb_800w.png

But if the skill based Matchmaking should match you with people who would have unlock a similar number of specializations. so the teams would thus become more balanced. Plus the combining of specialization does seem to amplify there abilities
These seem more personal the Detrimental to others

B wzy

Neo Member
This just seems like people who have played the game longer will have a slight advantage over me, or am I looking at this the wrong way?

I think its built with the intent that people will have a slight/some advantage over another player during situations that reflect their playstyle.

Competitive MM with 4 good players (kyle, juices, over, etc) using stalker against a half competitive half casual team (Heckfu and I) would be horrible experience for the latter team. Especially if truskill works like in reach.

nillapuddin

FOR EXAMPLE

Primary Weapon:
Secondary Weapon:
Grenade Type:
Armor Ability:
Tactical Package:
  • Firepower: Carry 2 primary weapons
  • Shielding: Shield Recharge Rate buff
  • AA Efficiency: AA Recharge Rate buff
  • Unnamed: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision, Faster Assassination Animation, dampened footsteps
  • Stability: Lessened knock out of scope
  • Nemesis: Possibly reveals opponent who last killed you
  • Gunner: Reduce Turret cool down, move faster when carrying Turret
Support Package:
  • Ammo Upgrade: Hold more Ammo
  • Sensor Upgrade: Increased Motion Tracker Range
  • Awareness: Use radar while scoped
  • Drop Recon*: Heads up on Ordnance and On-map weapon drops
  • Drop Recon*: Ability to re-roll an Ordnance drop
  • Fast Track: Increased XP bonus
  • Wheelman: Lessend EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff

One would assume they will even out so there is an equal number of both Tactical and Support options, but these are just my guesses

Nowise10

Remember the simple days of Halo 3, where you began the game all on the same battlefield, and thats it?

Im not hating on Halo 4, because who knows, it could work out really well, and im trusting 343, but even all this news confuses me on what you can spawn with, at what level, and only in certain playlist. Its weird.

Ok, HaloGAF:

1. On day one Halo 4 will let me choose 1 of 2 different Specializations.

2. After I have chosen I will build a loadout that doesn't have anything to do with what I chose.

3. I will play a bunch of Halo MP, and at some point I will hit "max rank". By then I will have unlocked lots of cosmetic stuff and finally a "tactical package" OR a "support upgrade" that is associated with the Specialization I selected on day 1. I can then use that package/upgrade in whatever loadouts I want.

4. The game will then let me choose 1 of X remaining Specializations and I will repeat steps 2-4 until there are no remaining Specializations to choose.

Is that correct?

The best part of rank comes from inside. You challenge yourself to get that 50. If you are bad you challenge yourself to get that 40. Its an internal reward. Bragging is just a side effect you have to try and ignore.

Apparently my spirit-guide has taken the form of a drunk wolf from Buffalo.

No, each specialization just unlocks 10 more levels of progression.

Play the game, go 1-50
Pick a specialization, go 50-60
Pick another specialization, go 60-70
and so on.

I doubt they will be numbered like that, but you get the idea.

EDIT: Beaten

Thanks again y'all!

Overdoziz

Banned
I've played about 5 Halo 3 Team Slayer matches today. My team won them all by a small margin and I leveled up from 41 to 43.

It was fun.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ok, HaloGAF:

2. After I have chosen I will build a loadout that doesn't have anything to do with what I chose.

3. I will play a bunch of Halo MP, and at some point I will hit "max rank". By then I will have unlocked lots of cosmetic stuff and finally a "tactical package" OR a "support upgrade" that is associated with the Specialization I selected on day 1. I can then use that package/upgrade in whatever loadouts I want.

4. The game will then let me choose 1 of X remaining Specializations and I will repeat steps 2-4 until there are no remaining Specializations to choose.

Is that correct?

That's mostly correct.

AFAIK you don't get your first specialization until you hit max rank. I may be wrong.

I've played about 5 Halo 3 Team Slayer matches today. My team won they all by a small margin and I leveled up from 41 to 43.

It was fun.
:'(

People want to know where they stand, leaderboards are popular in online games. 1-50 is a simple way of indicating where you stand. Ofcourse, it's not as detailed as a leaderboard, but I still like knowing that I rank amongst good players in the game. If they have a system that indicated where I stand compared to other players, I am happy.

I love competition. There is nothing wrong with that.
but what if in stead of a number the give you something else Does that make it any worse then a numeric rank

and i think leader board are better any way and if halo 4 does have a advance ranking system along with a greater Leader board with different section( K/d W/L streaks officiancy Of weapons) would be better

Wish it was November 6 so we could all just play and not stress over a vidya game.
Agreed. Slurpin the negative posts. Listening to constructive arguments, listening to David and Frankie explaining things. Waiting on the Bulletin tomorrow and stay optimistic until more Intel Drops come into GAF.

I've played about 5 Halo 3 Team Slayer matches today. My team won they all by a small margin and I leveled up from 41 to 43.

It was fun.

I played a bunch of TS a couple of weeks ago with my friend that never got his 50. Yeah, it was fun. I kind of like how it's a small population now. You run into the same kids over and over again and you almost know what to expect.

The games are almost always tight, too. Sure there's some bullshit from time to time, but it comes with the territory I guess.

I miss it.

Roche

I think its built with the intent that people will have a slight/some advantage over another player during situations that reflect their playstyle.

That really flies in the face of what I've always viewed as traditionally competitive Halo gameplay, I think players should enter a match on an even playing field. They should gain advantage through teamwork and map control.

Ok, HaloGAF:

Is that correct?

ibkJhwmvYovOVo.jpg

This is how I think it works. Soo you don't pick the specilization until you choose to increase your level cap.

Talents

Banned
I've played about 5 Halo 3 Team Slayer matches today. My team won them all by a small margin and I leveled up from 41 to 43.

It was fun.

Are you trying to say you should of went up more? When I was getting my 50, I was skill locked a 47 for ages, had to win like 30 games to level up.

That's mostly correct.

AFAIK you don't get your first specialization until you hit max rank. I may be wrong.
My understanding is you select one to enroll in on day one, but you don't get any gameplay benefit until you hit max rank...why else have 2 available out of the gate for the regular version of the game and then 8 available for the LE? So I can have more choices 2 months after I get my LE?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Well I think that's where matchmaking needs to come through in the clutch. Specialization players vs non and then all the other things David mentioned a few pages back.

That really flies in the face of what I've always viewed as traditionally competitive Halo gameplay, I think players should enter a match on an even playing field. They should gain advantage through teamwork and map control.

This is the evolution of Halo, Roche. You go into battle, you'll never know what the other guy is gonna do.

Havok

but what if in stead of a number the give you something else Does that make it any worse then a numeric rank

and i think leader board are better any way and if halo 4 does have a advance ranking system along with a greater Leader board with different section( K/d W/L streaks officiancy Of weapons) would be better
There's a reason Bungie stopped doing leaderboards. They were like cheater magnets, far more than numeric ranks, even. Halo 2's leaderboards were nothing but people standbying or modding specifically for the purpose of getting on them. Every notable XBLA leaderboard is full of cheaters.

My understanding is you select one to enroll in on day one, but you don't get any gameplay benefit until you hit max rank...why else have 2 available out of the gate for the regular version of the game and then 8 available for the LE? So I can have more choices 2 months after I get my LE?

You only choose which one to enroll in once you hit the maximum level.

So call me crazy, but this doesnt sound that bad, unfair or gamebreaking. On top of that, I love having 'class based' unlocks, that revolve a more central theme.. So I think Im ok with this.

Yes. The armor mods you unlocks by leveling up your specializations will appear as either a tactical or support package.
Ok that makes sense.

This is actually one of the things I said in the interview.

By enlisting in a Specialization you basically raise your own level cap. With each one, you can extend the level cap a little further. You DO NOT have to rank all the way through again.
Cool thanks for clarifying.

You will be matched based on a variety of factors, SKILL, DLC, connection speed, etc.
DLC and skill you say? Im a happy person.

When you hit the level cap, you will be given the option to enlist in one of the Specializations you have available.
So then, after you max out one specialization you can enlist in another?

B wzy

Neo Member

I get what your saying, but I kinda assume some people are already "better" in a certain situation or playstyle already. Some people are great snipes, some are wheelman, etc.. I think the specializations are merely ways for people that kinda have a dedicated style to concentrate on a little more.

This is how I think it works. Soo you don't pick the specilization until you choose to increase your level cap.
Ok, I guess that is good? I feel like a huge swath of the playerbase is going to completely ignore specializations because by the time they hit max rank the next big game will have come out/appeared under their Christmas tree and they will just move one.

I like it for what it is though. I'm really hoping 343 take a "stripped-down" playlist seriously and give that particular Halo experience a lot of love along with all the new stuff--I want to be able to play both.

Overdoziz

Banned
Are you trying to say you should of went up more? When I was getting my 50, I was skill locked a 47 for ages, had to win like 30 games to level up.
I'm saying I enjoyed the close matches (5 years after launch may I add) and I liked that I got rewarded for winning by leveling up.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, twelve pages since the announcement. I have lots of opinions -- mostly negative -- but I'll hold off on voicing them till I catch up on the thread and see what other folks have said.

Edit : Another new wave of juniors?

Roche

This is the evolution of Halo, Roche. You go into battle, you'll never know what the other guy is gonna do.

I think this is a step in the wrong direction, you shouldn't be put at a disadvantage based entirely upon what the other guy choose in the lobby. It's something you have no control over which could potentially change the course of a game.

I think the outcome of a match should be decided entirely in game, at least in the competitive sense.

I get what your saying, but I kinda assume some people are already "better" in a certain situation or playstyle already. Some people are great snipes, some are wheelman, etc.. I think the specializations are merely ways for people that kinda have a dedicated style to concentrate on a little more.

Yes but that's fine, the outcome of a game of Halo should be determined by the talent of the players involved, "perks" shouldn't ever come into the equation I don't buy Halo for class based gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom