• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I think the most important question I can think of is how long it takes to go through a complete "prestige" (yes, I'm calling it that for now. idk if there's an official term yet), including how long it takes to get weapons.

If I had to guess, I bet you start off with AR and Pistol as the only options.

Well anyways, heres all the armor in one place.

nSWe3.jpg

t1OnP.jpg

denED.jpg

GNzwo.jpg

eNRpc.jpg

4icHt.jpg

hiFL4.jpg

IGHuK.jpg

This stuff looks good. Real good.

I think the most important question I can think of is how long it takes to go through a complete "prestige" (yes, I'm calling it that for now. idk if there's an official term yet), including how long it takes to get weapons.

for custom loadouts yes, but in game there will be default loadouts with things like BR's, DMR's etc. this was confirmed a long time ago.

also, it's not prestige, you do not go back to level one after reaching max rank.

Noricart

Edit : Another new wave of juniors?
HaloGAF Radio is gonna bring in even more adoring fans juniors that people will heckle.

Better not be like that for Classic.

Crazy King on Guardian. I get second against a bunch of 50s and alts. Do I rank up? No. Of course not.

Gotta fill the new server up with something.

I bet you start off with AR and Pistol as the only options.
I would hope for none specialization stuff they would do it on a "earn points, then buy stuff" system. So on day one I can use the 5 Spartan points that I start with to buy BR starts, Firepower, DMR secondary, and some other stuff.

Anyone up for Reach?

CyReN

Maybe I'm just getting Risen old or the competitive side of me (in gaming) is just dying but I'm still excited for Halo 4. Yea it sucks there isn't spectator mode or classic ranks but if the gameplays there's that is what makes the game. What killed Reach for me was the bloom, arena and maps, I just have to play the game before I bitch about it, I hyped up Halo Reach like it was a godsend and it was a mediocre game compared to it's predecessors. Yes the news may suck for some but I'm sure a lot are excited out there. This isn't a sarcastic post either.

my 2 cents.

I think this is a step in the wrong direction, you shouldn't be put at a disadvantage based entirely upon what the other guy choose in the lobby. It's something you have no control over which could potentially change the course of a game.

I think the outcome of a match should be decided entirely in game, at least in the competitive sense.

This is only a natural step after the introduction of AAs. You get in a fight, and you never know if a guy will suddenly boost to the left, or his shields recharge faster then you, or he can reload just that quicker, and hey, maybe his vehicle won't be stopped anymore.

Feels like Halo™

“This also allows you to recharge the health of a vehicle a little faster."

Mmm, vehicle health. My favorite addition to the series.

Gotta fill the new server up with something.

I would hope for none specialization stuff they would do it on a "earn points, then buy stuff" system. So on day one I can use the 5 Spartan points that I start with to buy BR starts, Firepower, DMR secondary, and some other stuff.

Anyone up for Reach?

Fracas and I are gonna play 3 if you want to join.

Holy shit, twelve pages since the announcement. I have lots of opinions -- mostly negative -- but I'll hold off on voicing them till I catch up on the thread and see what other folks have said.

Nope, actually. I've been a member for a couple of months now. I'm just coming on today for the first time because the NeoGaf powers that be decided to activate my account the same day I bought Skyrim.

Well anyways, heres all the armor in one place.

This stuff looks good. Real good.

the only problem i have are the helmets. where the heck did all the bright shiny gold visors go? most of them have these small eye holes and thats it. i like the last one the best cause it actually has some sort of visor.

also, 343 can i have iron man armor please =)

GhaleonEB

Predictability of outcome is really important when playing a game, as is knowing my opponent's capabilities. When I do X, Y happens. It enables us to make decisions about what to do in a given situation.

With Reach, bloom and armor abilities to various degrees messed with this. That was bad.

Halo 4 appears to be making things worse.

Sometimes when I sneak up on someone sniping, they won't be able to see me coming. Sometimes, they'll be able to see me because of a perk they have active.

Sometimes me pinging them will impair their ability to fire back. Sometimes not because their reticule recoil is suppressed.

Sometimes tagging a rampaging Warthog with an EMP from the plasma pistol will stop it. Some times it will keep going.

Sometimes I'll chew up a Warthog and call out it's low health to my team, who can kill it. Sometimes it's health will come back faster.

Sometimes I'll strip someone's shields at the same time they do mine, and we'll fall back and recharge at the same rate. Sometimes theirs will be faster. Sometimes I'll be faster.

Sometimes I'll hear that guy sprinting up on me with a sword. Sometimes his sound will be suppressed.

And so on. None of these things sound good to me. None of them sound like they will improve the game at all.

I agree with Dax's post on early access to the specializations. Giving gamers who have played longer an advantage over those who have not is poor design. Giving players who spend more money early access to perks is bad marketing.

More and more Halo 4 is turning into something I've been afraid it would turn into, as part of what I loved about Halo's multiplayer game is sapped from it. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the tweaks are all so small as to not matter. But reading the IGN article just made me kinda sad. I wish this wasn't being done to Halo.

m23

I am pretty confused as to what exactly this means. So we rank up to the max level, from there we can level even further unlocking items along the way, on the 10th level we unlock a special armor mod....am I on the right track?

I don't know what this means for Halo, but as long as the game is fun I'll play it. Visually it looks great, next Saturday will be the day I finally get to try it out, so excited.

Blueblur1

Predictability of outcome is really important when playing a game, as is knowing my opponent's capabilities. When I do X, Y happens. It enables us to make decisions about what to do in a given situation.

With Reach, bloom and armor abilities to various degrees messed with this. That was bad.

Sometimes when I sneak up on someone sniping, they won't be able to see me coming. Sometimes, they'll be able to see me because of a perk they have active.

Sometimes me pinging them will impair their ability to fire back. Sometimes not because their reticule recoil is suppressed.

Sometimes tagging a rampaging Warthog with an EMP from the plasma pistol will stop it. Some times it will keep going.

Sometimes I'll chew up a Warthog and call out it's low health to my team, who can kill it. Sometimes it's health will come back faster.

Sometimes I'll strip someone's shields at the same time they do mine, and we'll fall back and recharge at the same rate. Sometimes theirs will be faster. Sometimes I'll be faster.

Sometimes I'll hear that guy sprinting up on me with a sword. Sometimes his sound will be suppressed.

And so on. None of these things sound good to me. None of them sound like they will improve the game at all.

I agree with Dax's post on early access to the specializations. Giving gamers who have played longer an advantage over those who have not is poor design. Giving players who spend more money early access to perks is bad marketing.

More and more Halo 4 is turning into something I've been afraid it would turn into, as part of what I loved about Halo's multiplayer game is sapped from it. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the tweaks are all so small as to not matter. But reading the IGN article just made me kinda sad. I wish this wasn't being done to Halo.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Fuchsdh

I go to change my car's battery and when I come back GAF's blown up with 8 pages.

Anyone distilled this down to a readable format yet? Englishhaloblog, what have you?

Maybe I'm just getting Risen old or the competitive side of me (in gaming) is just dying but I'm still excited for Halo 4. Yea it sucks there isn't spectator mode or classic ranks but if the gameplays there's that is what makes the game. What killed Reach for me was the bloom, arena and maps, I just have to play the game before I bitch about it, I hyped up Halo Reach like it was a godsend and it was a mediocre game compared to it's predecessors. Yes the news may suck for some but I'm sure a lot are excited out there. This isn't a sarcastic post either.

my 2 cents.

I'm fully convinced our minds our somehow linked because I'm the same exact way. Huge MLG supporter since H2 on USA Network in '05. Been really big on the competitive aspect of Halo ever since. Then I got WAY too hyped for Reach thinking it was going to be the pinnacle of gaming to save us from Halo 3's terrible netcode/BR Spread/Maps. And I ate my words, and im still salty about that.

Given the Reach experience, I was skeptical going into Halo 4, but 343i has convinced me it will be an entertaining, fun game and I will probably spend loads of time on it, even if it isn't the most competitive either, maybe my priorities are shifting, idk it all kinda started when I started enjoying Black Ops for the past few weeks because I could just fuck around and do well. With Halo, even Reach, I still get super competitive and maybe I can finally just enjoy it in Halo 4.

On Ghaleon's post:
Played some Hybrid with Zeouterlimits earlier. There's a game where players can have different loadouts with armour mods. If someone killed me using a damage boosting mod, I could just switch to a mod giving me more armour before I spawn back in. I didn't have to switch to that but at least I knew what he was using (for now). It's an interesting game that changes on the fly so to speak. It's not bad gameplay.

In Halo 4, they'd have to communicate what the player that killed you was using.

On Ghaleon's post:
Played some Hybrid with Zeouterlimits earlier. There's a game where players can have different loadouts with armour mods. If someone killed me using a damage boosting mod, I could just switch to a mod giving me more armour before I spawn back in. I didn't have to switch to that but at least I knew what he was using (for now). It's an interesting game that changes on the fly so to speak. It's not bad gameplay.

It's not Halo gameplay, either.

So let me see here.

You reach max rank and then you can choose a specialization to equip in your loadout. Each specialization has 10 levels. Each level provides you with a piece of armor in the set or a skin? And the last level unlocks a specialization perk that you can slot in to your loadout. These specialization perks don't stack.

I'm assuming that since its not a static set of 10 levels per specialization, but that these levels are tied into your overall player level, that the first perk will be quicker to max then your second, third, fourth, etc.

The earliest you'll see ANY of these in action is with 60th level players, correct?

Now onto the specializations themselves, most of them don't excite, but two of them in particular bug me. A team full of stalkers seems like a team full of wall-hackers, with each player getting an icon for their last killer as well as icons for their last attackers. This one seems pretty annoying to be on the other end of. This is also an ability I would consider stackable.

But the one that makes me scratch my head the most is the Operator, which seems to provide resistance to EMP effects on vehicles. I don't get it. To EMP you already need to have a plasma pistol on hand - is this really such a big deal that a power to make vehicles resistant to this effect was necessary? Just feels like a Nuh-Uh button that will just piss of any player who manages to go through the trouble to pull off an EMP.

Rogue also seems troublesome, as if snipers weren't bad enough. Hey, lets remove one of the defensive moves against them. Yay.

On paper I just don't get the point.

Limited Edition Halo 4s come with all eight specializations available at max rank correct? If this is the case I'd expect it would be a loooong time before seeing these circulated into the non-LE playerbase, not just a few weeks. Of course this all depends upon how long it takes to reach max rank and how long 343 wants to dangle this stuff out there, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be quick.

/thoughts

Blueblur1

Hmm, I thought Bravo would provide more information and clarification on specializations. His video only regurgitates the information from the IGN article. I guess the Halo Bulletin is our only source for clarification.

And by the way, I see that everyone is mention Rank 50 but I don't recall seeing David actually post that numbered ranks are in the game. One of his earlier posts only mentioned "max level". Can someone link me to where numbered ranks where confirmed?

nillapuddin

So wait, Halo 4 has:
- Armour abilities
- Weapon Perks
- Armour specialization

This is too much... What were you thinking 343...

no

A Specialization is a prestige mode

When you complete it

You get a new Perk.

Which goes into your 2 Perk slots youve always had.

Guns n shit:
Armor Ability:
Tactical Perk:
Support Perk:

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I go to change my car's battery and when I come back GAF's blown up with 8 pages.

Anyone distilled this down to a readable format yet? Englishhaloblog, what have you?

There will be a very sterile, clear explanation in tomorrow's Bulletin and Bravo's video (above) is a lot clearer than the thread chatter - but he's also guessing about how some of this works. Also I believe Bravo has used some of these abilities. If he hasn't, a lot of the MLG guys working on the strategy guide have.

Here's my TL;DR version - after a level cap is reached you can further tune your Spartan a little bit.

Blissful

Neo Member
Hmm, I thought Bravo would provide more information and clarification on specializations. His video only regurgitates the information from the IGN article. I guess the Halo Bulletin is our only source for clarification.

And by the way, I see that everyone is mention Rank 50 but I don't recall seeing David actually post that numbered ranks are in the game. One of his earlier posts only mentioned "max level". Can someone link me to where numbered ranks where confirmed?

He said "Level 50", then edited it out to "Max level"

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ghal, to some of your scenarios, most of those are not definite. I.E. it doesn't say the warthog will keep going, it says “This [Wheelman armor mod] gives you a bit of a resistance against that. It won’t necessarily stop you in your tracks [anymore].”

And the sniper one never says it will keep you from being knocked out of zoom. Ellis noted "Now it’s not necessarily the case. As you’re taking shots [with the Stability mod], it allows you to keep your reticule more stable.”

I think we need to see these in action to get a better feel. It seems like most of them are subtle. That's 343/MS' job though. Hopefully a vidoc is coming.

That's certainly true. That doesn't mean it can or can't work in Halo though. I'd rather they try something new and hope it works rather than keep the same and hope it's enough.

Hopefully there's an equal amount of attention and playlists for people wanting to play "the same" and not Reach 2.0.

Caja 117

Everyone just wants a number by their names because they want people to KNOW they're good at a video game.

The ones that get that number legit don't do it because of this, they want a number as an accomplishment to a challenge, anyone that get a 50 legit feels proud on it and the hardship they went trough it to get it. Even Halo 3 experience ranks where good because you could only gain it based on wins, now we have a progressive system which ranks everyone up regardless of their win or loss it sorts of take out that drive to actually want to win a game.

CyReN

There will be a very sterile, clear explanation in tomorrow's Bulletin and Bravo's video (above) is a lot clearer than the thread chatter - but he's also guessing about how some of this works. Also I believe Bravo has used some of these abilities. If he hasn't, a lot of the MLG guys working on the strategy guide have.

Here's my TL;DR version - after a level cap is reached you can further tune your Spartan a little bit.

Can you spill the beans on who's there?

Karl2177

I don't think there has been any worse consistency of clarification on how a game plays or even how it functions at a base level. There's speculation and then there's what we have now; where you drop information without any context and are forced to piece things together from multiple sources. For the love of god, can we actually get a good, clear information drop? With Bungie I felt it was fairly clear...

I agree with this post 100%. For multiplayer I always feel as if it should be even ground. I mean, I'm not going to enter Olympic running with all my trophies to beat the shit out of the other runners because I've been running since I was 5.

In regards to the bolded, I feel if you are going to reward long time players for playing the game in a gameplay manner, do it in modes where you aren't affecting other players. Do it in SpOps and campaign only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom