• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

link1201

For some stupid reason, this bothers me more than Specializations.

The color and pattern of that Promethean AR reminds me of Parachute pants of yesteryear.

parachute_pants.jpg

I like the other ones though...I think the electric blue is throwing me off.

nillapuddin

Weapons skins look pretty tacky. Just like armor effects in Reach...

Is nothing sacred? Not even the design of a BR/AR?

I mean they are just for fun, for the people who like that stuff its awesome, for the people who dont it will not make a difference.

Assuredly we arent missing 3 hours of campaign because weapon skins made it in.

Now when I picked up someone else's weapon I get to "enjoy" a pink Battle Rifle. Splendid.

no its only for you, you dont get their weapon like cod

Ramirez

Say what you will about the playlist management, the TU update was one of the better things they pulled off with Reach. #Teamslurp

Yup, I wouldn't be playing Reach today without the TU.

Also, weapon skins are cool, never understand why anyone would get upset about something that trivial.

Risen

Yup, I wouldn't be playing Reach today without the TU.

Since when did half measures become acceptable? I literally only play Reach because of the cool folks on my FL and a draw towards team oriented game play... TU or not, bloom in Reach coupled with terrible movement and awful implementation of abilities is shit. Better shit still stinks and doesn't make me want it any more.

Sai-kun

Banned
give me lady gaga related weapon skins and i'll accept them

will also accept marina and the diamonds related weapon skins

Ramirez

It's just not Halo man

Halo as you knew it is dead, time to adapt!

Since when did half measures become acceptable? I literally only play Reach because of the cool folks on my FL and a draw towards team oriented game play... TU or not, bloom in Reach coupled with terrible movement and awful implementation of abilities is shit. Better shit still stinks and doesn't make me want it any more.

Well I didn't say I wanted the TU settings imported to 4, just that it made Reach bearable. They didn't have to do it at all, so I appreciate the effort at least.

nillapuddin

It's just not Halo man

Adding cosmetic items to give players fun things to earn and customize their spartan, is a part of Halo

Halo 1, armor colors
Halo 2, emblems
Halo 3, armor perms
ODST, different characters
Reach, tons of armor pieces

Halo is a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

I cannot comprehend why player customization is so offensive to some

p.s.
look im not trying to be rude, I just dont know how you can justify that cosmetic items dont belong in halo
even if they seem superfluous to you, they matter alot to others

edit: god damnit, seriously.
Im a special kinda person

Ramirez

Adding cosmetic items to give players fun things to earn and customize their spartan, is a part of Halo

Halo 1, armor colors
Halo 2, emblems
Halo 3, armor perms

I think Tashi was trolling me.

Weapon skins were one of the very, very few things I enjoyed in CoD. I have no problem with this.

What does worry me is these armor configurations. The ones we've seen look like crap pretty much without exception, and I'll be extremely pissed if I can't have my ODST back.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Halo 1, armor colors
Halo 2, emblems
Halo 3, armor perms

p.s.
look im not trying to be rude, I just dont know how you can justify that cosmetic items dont belong in halo
even if they seem superfluous to you, they matter alot to others

edit: god damnit, seriously.
Im a special kinda person

Hi, you must be new here :p

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Armor customization is fine but weapon skins I am not a fan.

I get why they are there, just more unlockables and customization for players I get it.

It just doesn't seem like something a Spartan would care about is all, not like Chief has his favorite camo BR he must use. Just give him a weapon and he is good to go.

Really hope we can get a nice look at how weapon skins will work.

Krow and I were discussing it and there are a few ways it can go. Ideally (I think) I'd like to see a global unlock at a certain level. Level 15 could unlock the Arctic weapon skin and level 20 could unlock a Digital skin.

Could I go into a menu and choose that my BRs will be adorned in Arctic skins while my DMRs have Digital? Because it could just be a blanket thing were you pick a style and all your weapons have the same one.

I'd like to see Ordnance drops retain neutral skins and picking up enemy's weapons will let you see their choice of skin. Essentially, this leaves your skin appearing on the weaons you can choose in loadouts.

Also, how much can we customise? Like armour, will we be able to pick the colours of the skins or will it be more like Reach's visors where they come in set colours?

Risen

They didn't have to do it at all, so I appreciate the effort at least.

I can get behind that only so far... effort is great, effort should always be given. I expect effort in almost everything. But in the end they only get an "E" for effort. They get a ribbon for participation, but they didn't win a medal for beating others in competition.

Not debating anything with you here... your comment just brought to mind how muddled I thought the TU was as implemented. It's better - but it still stinks.

Really hope we can get a nice look at how weapon skins will work.

Krow and I were discussing it and there are a few ways it can go. Ideally (I think) I'd like to see a global unlock at a certain level. Level 15 could unlock the Arctic weapon skin and level 20 could unlock a Digital skin.

Could I go into a menu and choose that my BRs will be adorned in Arctic skins while my DMRs have Digital? Because it could just be a blanket thing were you pick a style and all your weapons have the same one.

I'd like to see Ordnance drops retain neutral skins and picking up enemy's weapons will let you see their choice of skin. Essentially, this leaves your skin appearing on the weaons you can choose in loadouts.

Also, how much can we customise? Like armour, will we be able to pick the colours of the skins or will it be more like Reach's visors where they come in set colours?

I see it working almost entirely like the Gears weapons skins.

Help me out bro, I don't know that system.

There are a ton of skins on the marketplace for you to buy, but there are also a ton that you unlock through campaign/multiplayer challenges and achievements. They also add in a lot of "event skins" for certain time frames. It's pretty cool, I actually like it a lot.

But yeah, you can go into a menu and choose a different skin for each of your weapons, your shotgun and your rifle. They don't have to match.

I see it being integrated with Waypoint in the same way that Reach had armor rewards.

nillapuddin

im just overly elaborative, I dont like for there to be misunderstandings

So when I misunderstand, it creates problems

Yall will just have to put up with my facepalms I guess

They should add a disable-all-perks item that only Halo veterans can equip. The player emits a field that EMPs all other player perks within its radius.

Seems like it would fit in just fine. Just make it another specification and armor set named Nullifier.

Yeah, I like it.

There are a ton of skins on the marketplace for you to buy, but there are also a ton that you unlock through campaign/multiplayer challenges and achievements. They also add in a lot of "event skins" for certain time frames. It's pretty cool, I actually like it a lot.

But yeah, you can go into a menu and choose a different skin for each of your weapons, your shotgun and your rifle. They don't have to match.

I see it being integrated with Waypoint in the same way that Reach had armor rewards.

So you buy Arctic and then you can slap that skin on any weapon?

That's pretty cool. I hope 4 adopts a similar system. You can never be too certain.

kylej

Banned
To me, "Halo" is a lot more than a visual thing. To me, just because a game has a Spartan and a DMR, BR or Pistol doesn't make it "Halo."

Halo meant a game that was beautifully simple on the exterior but hid incredible depth in the actual gameplay. Rather than attempting superficial, false "depth" through onerous loadouts, redundant weaponry, or meaningless progression systems, depth in Halo evolved through the actual player. It was true growth in a players understanding and ability in the game.

It was pure competitive bliss and undeniable fun. It was a perfectly paced arena shooter that worked on a console. It was fast, responsive and rewarded players for making great plays and good decisions.

Now, "Halo" is Call of Duty lite, with the added bonus of super slow kill times that force complete reliance on teamshot above all else. "Depth" and a player's actual ability are irrelevant in the actual gameplay, because the core value has shifted to unlocks, perks, and loadouts.

Instead of returning to the true roots of Halo, the roots that made it the cultural phenomenon it was, 343 instead chose to attempt to morph it into some bastardized version of a different game. Rather than differentiating itself and standing tall based on fundamentally solid gameplay, they're willing to sacrifice the core concepts of Halo in a pathetic attempt at what I can only assume is a money grab.

I was honestly looking forward to Halo 4, but now, I truly think Halo has shifted beyond something I can even continue to hold out hope for. At least I have it's big brother, Black Ops 2, a week later to look forward to. If 343 is content to tag along behind CoD, picking up its scraps from 3 games ago, I might as well play the real version of it.

yep

So you buy Arctic and then you can slap that skin on any weapon?

That's pretty cool. I hope 4 adopts a similar system. You can never be too certain.

Well no, you technically buy the "set." so while you have the ability to put the skin on any weapon, it's really only because you bought it for every weapon.

And when you unlock skins, they're generally only for one weapon. So like, oh, I completed this challenge, and for that I get the golden lancer. But my buddy completed a different challenge, and he got the golden hammerburst.

If a decent player loses to a lesser player more than 1 out of 10 solely due to these perks,

They should never win solely due to a perk. That's the point of the rage in here.

As a somewhat competent Halo player, I have had games (I'm sure we all have) where no matter what I do, the other team always seems to have rockets, or sword, or they just hold up with all the power weapons and either camp or destroy me on spawn. Some of you would probably argue that all that means is I've have been outclassed, outplayed, and generally deserve to lose.

But as a game, it becomes a frustrating experience to constantly get destroyed by the guy camping with sword, or the guy with jetpack and rockets. At least now, I have the opportunity to switch up how to tackle that situation, as yes, they may have a bigger gun or a different mod - but I may have a counter to the situation that allows me to change how the battle unfolds. I think, personally, this stands to be an improvement to the way it could play out.

This comes down to skill-based matchmaking. Why didn't your team ever get rockets? Because you didn't *earn them* with your gameplay. If both teams are equal, this rarely happens. Also, sword campers are the easiest players in the world to avoid in almost every case.

I have found (at least in this gen) that 9 out of 10 times when gamers react to news regarding changes in a game or the addition of different features their reactions are usually justified.

Funny that. And it's not just Halo or blockbuster games. Examples:

Hexic 2: Everyone sees all the new pieces being added and how easy it is to build the master grid compared to Hexic HD. They're told, no it's ok, everything will be fine. NO ONE plays that game anymore and I personally know of multiple people who still try to make new and inventive MMCs in Hexic HD.

Almost every Sonic release ever: Oh no, they're adding more pointless shit.

I'm a bad kid at Halo so maybe this will lower the skill gap enough to make me competitive again.

Ha, suckers! Heckfu's coming back!

Heckfu, por favor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom